• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A Certain Magical Virtual-On" launches Feb 15 in Japan (Gameplay Trailer)

"/ Gonna stay waitin' for that true sequel to Oratorio Tangram. I wasn't feeling 4/Force, and it seems it'll be the same for this."

The big problem with Force is that it was slow as fuck. The gameplay trailer seems like it's just as fast as VOOT and it still seems like a 1v1 game as well, or at least has a 1v1 mode.

Tain

L2 - Left Weapon
L1 - Turbo Left Weapon
L2+R2 - Center Weapon
L1+R1 - Turbo Center Weapon
R2 - Right Weapon
R1 - Turbo Right Weapon

Left Stick - Movement
Right Stick - Rotation
Touch Pad - Boost Weapon

Triangle - Close range attack
Circle - Lock (while dashing - Transition)
X - Jump (while jumping - cancel)
Square - Dash (while dashing - cancel)

Interesting. Wonder if there's still a melee block.

Synth

Neat, time to dig out my XBone then.

So that wasn't actually true. It's $15 (I'm in the UK, so saw £10).

Also I probably should put "playable online" in quotes, because you'd need to supply your own opponent, because you're not likely to find anyone online randomly.

Too lazy to look up the schedule

How soon until show floor footage?

About 3 hours from this post?

14:30 to 15:15 – Cyber Troopers Virtual-On x A Certain Magical Index: A Certain Magical Virtual-On – An introduction to the appeal of A Certain Magical Virtual-On with Dengeki PlayStation editor-in-chief Akira Chigira as a guest. Featuring Jurou Wataru (producer), Makoto Suzuki (director), and Akira Chigira (Dengeki PlayStation deputy editor-in-chief).

The developers played two rounds live- one with Temjin/Touma the other with Raiden/Mikoto.

I'm no expert but it looks pretty much like Virtual-On with two exceptions:

1) Victory is base on a point-based system instead of KO. Even if you are KO'd, if you scored more points at the end of the round you'll still win.

2) Boost Weapons are the pilot's signature move and used like a super move. Mikoto's her railgun while Touma has the Bionic Arm =p

emiliano

It seems to me that the speed is pretty similar to oratan, certainly miles ahead of force. I can see also that now you can face your opponent during dash without firing, that's a good improvement that increases the awareness of position in battle. This short demonstration makes me really optimist. I can't wait to try it.

https://youtu.be/_laDWgM668Y

8 min Gameplay footage for Index/Bal-Bados, Kuroko/Fei-Yen and Misaki/Angelan.

Index/Bal-Bados uses 'cutesy' attacks like neko-beam and icecream cone missiles. Her boost weapon is the Angel Feathers from Dragon's Breath.

Kuroko/Fei-Yen moves pretty fast and they were showing some kind of block function? Her boost weapon is to summon a rain of swords that looks like it chases after the opponent.

Misaki/Angelan is a mage type character that summons a golden dragon and ice shards. Her boost weapon.... Just summons a golden dragon and 5 ice shards.... Not entirely sure what it does.

Index/Bal-Bados uses 'cutesy' attacks like neko-beam and icecream cone missiles. Her boost weapon is the Angel Feathers from Dragon's Breath.

Kuroko/Fei-Yen moves pretty fast and they were showing some kind of block function? Her boost weapon is to summon a rain of swords that looks like it chases after the opponent.

Misaki/Angelan is a mage type character that summons a golden dragon and ice shards. Her boost weapon.... Just summons a golden dragon and 5 ice shards.... Not entirely sure what it does.

This looks promising at a base VO level. And the magical side of things is neat conceptually to be honest. Angelan's boost weapon/speed buff looks like it could be a problem lol.

Btw if you notice the character that pops up once in awhile in the lower left corner of the screen, that's Lilina.

From the Crossover Light Novel said:
"The Support AI that automatically activates when a user privately registers their portable device. A single AI is stored on each device. They primarily share information about Virtual-On and provide support during battle. They seem to have a high-level learning function, so their personality is different for every user."

Wow, for some reason I was unde rthe impression that this game was a mobile title or something. Looks great! Glad to see Virtual On back! The Saturn game and Dreamcast sequel are great games.

Sweet, just saw both sets of footage, looking good.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I didn't really have this game on my radar, but a friend told me to look into it since it's apparently more of a genuine VO game than I had initially thought. So, I did.

One small thing in particular that I've noticed from the trailer and other promotional materials that I haven't seen anyone else in this thread mention yet is that the Virtuoids are using the exact model numbers that they had in OT (not VO, Force, or something new), just with "VSL" (Vritualon Sports Line) tacked onto it. As in, Temjin is MBV-707-G (OT), not MBV-04-G (VO) or MBV-747 (Force). The visual designs also most-closely match OT, just with a new, tacky coat of paint. The only exception out of the 5 shown so far is Bal, which is the most significantly redesigned one of the line-up.

The overall pacing and flow of the game in footage so far also seems to follow closer to OT than the other games. It's not quite as slow as Force, it's 1v1, and it still has air-dashes and whatnot. And I think the new gameplay mechanics (Transition, point system) are probably there to tackle OT's problem of devolving into hit-and-run time overs at high level play. VOOT probably had the best gameplay base of the 3 previous games--movement in particular was snappy and it just felt really satisfying to play--but the combination of really high character mobility with relatively limited tracking on attacks meant that matches among equally skilled players who knew what they were doing often went to time instead of a decisive KO. Transition seems(?) to be there to help track the opponent without having to commit to a dash attack (but I'm not entirely sure how it functions), and the point system is probably there to stem the tendency of running away and hiding after obtaining the life lead.

The controls closely match those used in previous console ports, with a few exceptions. Turbo attacks have their own dedicated buttons instead of being mapped to dash + attack, so it seems that there's only one turbo variant for attacks instead of two. This is something that's more in line with Force than OT, but if there's no V-Armor system this time around then the utility of armor-stripping LT weapons would have been a little less important anyway. There also doesn't seem to be a crouch/block command on the control diagram, but I saw the players in the above footage using some kind of barrier as well as sliding attacks, which was something that you had to crouch to perform before.

The idea of making VO an e-sport within the universe of an anime is stupid, but considering that the lore (*cough*) of prior VO games had a corny meta element to it where the mechs were actually being piloted by kids playing arcade machines, this crossover is a perfectly "in-character" kind of stupid for the series.

Dambrosi

Banned
It's really heartening to see a minor revival in the giant robot arena fighting genre, such as it is. The more Virtual Ons and Gundam Versus(es) and Zone Of the Enders 2 remakes there are in the world, the better off we all are, I say.

Especially if Accelerator's Virtualoid has a freaking crutch and attacks with over-long monologues.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Was watching the Easy Allies TGS stream they ran the other day and came across this. Got goosebumps all over my body. Absolutely loved Oratorio Tangram so I seriously cannot wait for this.

Was watching the Easy Allies TGS stream they ran the other day and came across this. Got goosebumps all over my body. Absolutely loved Ontario Tangram so I seriously cannot wait for this.

Everybody gets one.
fc00f221702788a9bcbb66b1787441fd_100_100.png

"It's kinda sad that I'm tempted to watch them now, just to have some context."

It's just about every generic anime trope you can think of wrapped up together.

The 8 minutes of gameplay footage looked great. This might be the game that gets me to buy a PS4. Or cheap out and buy a Vita TV on the hella cheap, if there's online cross play between the platforms.

NEO0MJ

The 8 minutes of gameplay footage looked great. This might be the game that gets me to buy a PS4. Or cheap out and buy a Vita TV on the hella cheap, if there's online cross play between the platforms.

Personally I'd be worried about the framerate and online quality on Vita.

"Personally I'd be worried about the framerate and online quality on Vita."

Yeah, even though the game is not anywhere near cutting edge, that's a real concern.

flashman92

Neo Member
Is it weird that I find that the baseball bat sticks out less than the giant sword, even though some Virtuoids use giant swords?

Top Bottom