• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dance with Dragons |OT| - Read the rules or Melisandre casts magic missile

Magnus

So...is this the appropriate thread then for me to read as I'm just cracking the cover of ADWD right now?

I'm so excited. I can't imagine that some of you had to wait eleven YEARS for some of these character perspectives to return.

AFFC was the biggest slog of the series for me, and still, I ended up really enjoying the back half, especially what ended up happening with the stories in King's Landing and its characters. It was definitely harder to stay interested in the chapters focused in Dorne and among the Ironmen.

I really need help understanding a few things from AFFC though, and really don't know if there'd be a more appropriate thread to ask in, so here goes:

1. Did Arianne just want vengeance for Uncle Oberyn? How exactly did she want to use Myrcella to achieve that?
2. How does Petyr arrive at the conclusion he arrives at in Alayne's final AFFC chapter? If she eventually reveals herself as Sansa to the world and inherits the North, how could her marriage as Alayne hold true and allow her to retain anything she inherits as part of that union?
3. Alleras appears in the prologue and the final chapter, right? Pate is a separate POV character for the prologue. But Alleras identifies himself as Pate in the final chapter. What? If I'm not supposed to know what this means yet, don't worry, don't tell me. Haha

Thanks guys.

Joe

im only about 1/5, or a 1/4 way thru ADWD but its already like 100x better AFFC.

aegon is alive omg wtf

i think the greyjoy family ruined all of AFFC for me. so annoying.

Sotha Sil

I wasn't a big fan of the Greyjoys in AFFC either. Damphair was particularly painful.

I would love a AFFC/ADWD one-volume edition with no Iron Islands/Essos chapters. Actually, just the North and the Brienne/Jaime chapters would be perfect. Westeros dealing with the aftermath of the Young Wolf's war is the only thing I truly care about in these books.

Essos is just a shithole with zero redeeming features, and Cersei is not what I would call a good POV.

I would love a AFFC/ADWD one-volume edition with no Iron Islands/Essos chapters. Actually, just the North and the Brienne/Jaime chapters would be perfect. Westeros dealing with the aftermath of the Young Wolf's war is the only thing I truly care about in these books.

Essos is just a shithole with zero redeeming features, and Cersei is not what I would call a good POV.

While I did like Cersei's chapters in AFFC (myrish swamp, haha), I definitely agree that Essos was mainly shit. That shit takes up so much of the book too.

Top Bottom