• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time Kickstarter. Wind Waker-styled 3D platformer, PC/Mac/possibly Wii U

So the alpha build is finally out? Is it good? I only backed at the beta tier so I still have a long wait ahead. :(

It's pretty fun, the platforming could use some work, but most of it is pretty great so far. The music is fantastic and the water and sand look friggin great.

it3MN5Z4jfoZ3.gif
iqyTFSJ1cquuo.gif

So good.

Another Kickstarter that exploits the platformer-loving Nintendo fanbase by teasing a hypothetical Wii U release, then backs out at the last minute? Why does this not surprise me?

Another Kickstarter that exploits the platformer-loving Nintendo fanbase by teasing a hypothetical Wii U release, then backs out at the last minute? Why does this not surprise me?

They never promised anything and they made it clear that it would take massive funding to get it on the wii u, there's still a chance and they have not backed out. Way to overreact.

Lijik

Previous footage didnt really sell me on the controls (especially for the Sunshine esque stage where it looked really rough when paired with demanding platforming) but this looks really fun! Sliding onto the side of the bridge is fantastic

Oidisco

They never promised anything or even said that it was very likely during the Kickstarter. They just said that it was a possibility, but couldn't guarantee anything because Unreal costs so much on consoles.

Anyone get all of the hourglasses in Mafia Town? I am missing one.

after obtaining the fox mask, go to the area with the guy who wants red ties and go through the green planks, also, at the beach with the slides, fly a rocket through the hoop on fire and beat the balloon guy in his race, and finally, there is a broken pipe near where you trigger the crane, it's on the side of a wall near one of the water streams, jump into it and go inside

catabarez

after obtaining the fox mask, go to the area with the guy who wants red ties and go through the green planks, also, at the beach with the slides, fly a rocket through the hoop on fire and beat the balloon guy in his race, and finally, there is a broken pipe near where you trigger the crane, it's on the side of a wall near one of the water streams, jump into it and go inside

Thanks just got the last one. So it's just the six of them right? No hidden ones?

Vexxan

Alpha footage looks absolutely gorgeous, during the Kickstarter the game looked very Gamecube-y but now it's like it's gone through the same transformation Wind Waker did when Nintendo made Wind Waker HD.

Can't wait to get my hands on the final version.

e_i

Good god, the second level in the alpha is great. The lady chasing you around the house is scary as hell.

Dr. Buni

When is this coming out? 2015? I am not a fan of collect a thon games, but I am sold on this game just for the art style + music. Seems like a good indie game to support.

Holy Jesus Christ.
I just find out about Grant Kirkhope and I can't stop my penis from growing.
However the bad WiiU news makes me really sad. :<

213372bu

Banned
Holy Jesus Christ.
I just find out about Grant Kirkhope and I can't stop my penis from growing.
However the bad WiiU news makes me really sad. :<

That's the general response lol. If you care about commentary, Grant Kirkhope did a guest appearance in some Game Grumps episode and he discusses stuff about his music and the games he worked on.

Elixist

looks pretty fun im sure i will own this title one day. Id love a split screen co op mode, with dem pcs you got the powers to do it!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Based on those GIFs, there still seems to be a weird mix of art styles going on. Or something. I'm not sure what it is, but the world doesn't look cohesive.

Still alpha, I know.

Based on those GIFs, there still seems to be a weird mix of art styles going on. Or something. I'm not sure what it is, but the world doesn't look cohesive.

Still alpha, I know.

The textureless block things are from challenge levels similar to Mario Sunshine.

Though the worlds they've shown do also look pretty difefrent, with the port town that looks vaguely Mario Sunshine/Wind Wakerey and then the forest level is like Majoras Mask/Wind Wakery.

There are a few things that make having a Wii U version difficult, specifically that the Unreal Engine costs like half a mil to use on consoles. They would either need to get the funding to use it or need a publisher/developer who already has the rights to use the Unreal Engine. They have been in talks, and they mention having something to say regarding it at some point...but we've gotten no confirmation since. The only words we've gotten from them regarding a Wii U version was a cryptic tweet in September about good news for the Wii U version...but the tweet has since been deleted and no news ever came.

The last tweet about it was on Feb 17 as a response saying "No confirmed Wii U version at this point I'm afraid." Combined with the deleted tweet hint from before, I suspect the developer/publisher they were almost complete with bailed out. :/

So, I'd say it is likely not coming to Wii U moreso than it will. There are just too many things going against it right now.
I guess there's even less of a chance this game finds its way to the PS4/X1?

I guess there's even less of a chance this game finds its way to the PS4/X1?

I don't know if less of a chance. Similarly low chance. A hypothetical publisher that solves their Unreal license issue might want to port it to something with a larger userbase than Wii U, but would also realize this game is basically designed with N64/Gamecube era Nintendo fans in mind.

izRspBjkdooSs.gif
ihrmuvTg9XPZM.gif
i8XPMJ8aDkuzp.gif
iGL8BlaJmDWjI.gif

ib0SOAcCnSg0Wr.gif
iO5S1l889ciU6.gif
iBvC5oaYlivfu.gif
imhqAj5npc6y.gif

Here's probably the last bunch of .gifs I give you, for now, at least. Most of them areas reached by noclipping. I checked the whole mansion level and there were no real secret areas to go to.

Something's up with minus right now, it won't load my .gifs
Had to rehost on google+, but it changed the size of them, hopefully minus will start working again.
Ok, they seem to be working atm

That's the general response lol. If you care about commentary, Grant Kirkhope did a guest appearance in some Game Grumps episode and he discusses stuff about his music and the games he worked on.

Sweet! :Q_

It looks a bit similar to Mario Sunshine, not Mario 64. That is great to me, since Sunshine is awesome and I always wanted another similar game.

Well, it looks like Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker had sex and gave birth to a wonderful and colorful baby to me.

DaBoss

It will be one of the best games, then, because Sunshine was fuckin' amazing.
Continuously saying that won't make Sunshine good! Worst 3D Mario game by far.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm teasing you. :p

I really don't like Sunshine though, but it has great controls and neat ideas.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Oh wow, that hiding under the piano bit looked like something different. Any release estimate yet, or are we still way way off?

Top Bottom