• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Man Who’s Probably Innocent Will Die Today, And Lawyers Can’t Save Him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
EDIT: Breaking News

He got a last minute stay!!!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55f99f1de4b0e333e54c28fc?utm_hp_ref=tw

Think Progress

Eighteen years after the murder of motel owner Barry Van Treese, there is no concrete evidence to suggest Oklahoma death row inmate Richard Glossip was involved in the crime. According to witnesses, the actual killer, Justin Sneed, has repeatedly bragged about setting his former boss up by pinning him as the mastermind behind Treese’s murder. Over time, new evidence has chipped away at the case against Glossip.

Glossip was convicted in 1998 for the murder, which took place at the motel where he and Sneed worked. Without physical evidence, prosecutors argued that Glossip enlisted Sneed to kill their boss, because he was about to be terminated for embezzling money. Sneed’s DNA was found all over the crime scene, authorities had a taped confession from him, and there was a recording of the killer striking a bargain with a detective to blame Glossip in order to reduce his sentence. But the strongest evidence in Glossip’s favor was not presented in court. Glossip lost the legal battle and was sentenced to death.

Years later, there was a ray of hope for him, when the Oklahoma Criminal Court of Appeals overturned the conviction based on the grossly inadequate representation that Glossip received. He was granted a new trial in 2004, but once again, the defense attorneys did not introduce the interrogation tape and, similar to his first attorney, conducted a weak cross-examination. He was convicted again in 2004.

A growing and far-reaching coalition of support — comprising celebrities, entrepreneurs, and legal professionals — has fought tooth and nail for an additional stay and re-trial. But Gov. Mary Fallin (R) remains unmoved, maintaining the two convictions are enough to carry out the execution. In July, soon after the Supreme Court ruled that the state’s lethal injection cocktail does not constitute cruel and unusual punishment, Oklahoma scheduled three executions, including Glossip’s, to be carried out this year. A last minute stay is unlikely.

4136546-5501472923-tumbl.gif

Truly unconscionable. Wow.

K.Sabot

Gov Fallin isn't a real human.

It didn't take me long to realize while living here.

Thank god for the court that gave the last minute stay.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Terrible case all around

Without physical evidence, prosecutors argued that Glossip enlisted Sneed to kill their boss, because he was about to be terminated for embezzling money.
This part irritates me the most

entremet

Those were some terrible defense attorneys

He's too poor to afford good repressentation.

I think that's one of the biggest crises facing the criminal justice system today, not enough funding for public defenders.

You gotta remember that the state has vast powers of discovery and investigation. They have a police force, internal experts and the like.

If you want to bring your own experts, you have to pay, since public defenders don't have enough resources. Moreover, public defenders are overworked, which can affect the quality of their work.

It's David versus Goliath, but this time Goliath wins most of the time.

Zukuu

Banned
Guilty until proven otherwise seems like a terrible baseline for a jurisdiction system. Wait, there even WAS proof, but it got ignored. So he's guilty for "tales from my ass".

AntoneM

He's too poor to afford good repressentation.

I think that's one of the biggest crises facing the criminal justice system today, not enough funding for public defenders.

You gotta remember that the state has vast powers of discovery and investigation. They have a police force, internal experts and the like.

If you want to bring your own experts, you have to pay, since public defenders don't have enough resources. Moreover, public defenders are overworked, which can affect the quality of their work.

It's David versus Goliath, but this time Goliath wins most of the time.

And you can't run a campaign with increasing the number and pay of public defenders as one of your issues since most people assume that the defendant is guilty and it would be a waste of money. This also makes it very hard to pass any legislation on the matter even if you are elected.

I remember reading about this a while back, and correct me if I'm wrong because its been a while, but wasn't there a strong case against him for hiding the body?

Personally, I don't think anyone should be given the death penalty anyway, but I don't think it's as clear cut as the article suggests.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sneed’s DNA was found all over the crime scene, authorities had a taped confession from him, and there was a recording of the killer striking a bargain with a detective to blame Glossip in order to reduce his sentence.

How does that work?

Nephtis

I wouldn't be against it in a completely obvious case...

But in cases where there's even a little bit of question deserves to be absolutely, completely thorough. And in cases where BS like this is shown, they need to remove that sentence entirely.

Ayt

Banned
I think this Guardian article does a much better job of explaining the issues with the case against him.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/13/richard-glossip-execution-oklahoma-mary-fallin-stay

At both trials, Glossip’s attorneys did not introduce the videotape of Sneed’s interrogation, which showed leading questions from investigators coaxing Sneed into implicating Glossip. Without the video showing how Sneed’s story changed, Glossip’s defense struggled to discredit Sneed’s evolving theories, the prosecution’s most influential testimony.

In its new reports, Glossip’s defense points out how Sneed’s testimony at trial became even more elaborate than it was in statements to investigators. While he had first claimed that Glossip called him in the middle of the night with instructions to kill Van Treese, Sneed at trial suggested premeditation. Glossip had been hounding him to commit the murder, he said, and even instructed him to “pick up some trash bags, a hacksaw, and muriatic acid” to dispose of the body after the fact.

Sneed’s daughter, O’Ryan Justine Sneed, attempted to save Glossip’s life by tarnishing her father’s credibility. In a letter to the Oklahoma Parole and Pardon board that arrived too late to be presented at Glossip’s October clemency hearing, she wrote: “I am sure that Mr Glossip did not do what my father originally said, that he did not hire my father to kill Mr Van Treese, and he doesn’t deserve to die over my father’s actions.”

She said her father implicated Glossip out of fear of the death penalty, and still fears recanting his testimony at the risk of losing his life.

I remember reading about this a while back, and correct me if I'm wrong because its been a while, but wasn't there a strong case against him for hiding the body?

Personally, I don't think anyone should be given the death penalty anyway, but I don't think it's as clear cut as the article suggests.

This issue was brought up in the article I linked above.

The new attorneys say Glossip’s earlier defense lawyers did not challenge a gruesome bit of evidence adding a layer of malice to Glossip’s role. While the prosecution’s pathologist claimed that Van Treese was left in a pool of his own blood dying for up to eight hours, a Fox 25-commissioned review of the autopsy, cited as new evidence by the attorneys on Friday, found that Van Treese died within 30 minutes. Fox 25 said jurors at the second trial cited the importance of the claim that Glossip chose to leave Van Treese to die, rather than call police for his rescue, in their decision.

gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet!

So in essence

giphy.gif

What does this even have to do with the death penalty? So letting him rot in jail is a better outcome?

How the fuck does this NOT have anything to do with the death penalty?! A guy who was probably innocent is about to die. Come on!

And yes, I'd say rotting in jail is a little less permanent than death. Death is inevitable. No reason to speed up the process.

Amir0x

Banned
So in essence

giphy.gif

That is basically the only way a death penalty supporter can justify their stance. It does not deter crime, and a large number of people on death row are innocent. It's also significantly more expensive, sometimes bankrupting small towns. So in order to satisfy their bloodlust for something that does not even function in society in any way, they must be willing to kill innocent people and cause society extreme financial harm as well all for a result which doesn't even scare criminals into not committing crimes.

There is no actual way around this argument: they either are OK with those downsides in order to see someone they dislike die, or they are not and understand why the death penalty should never be a thing.

Couleurs

What does this even have to do with the death penalty? So letting him rot in jail is a better outcome?

Uhh yes?

Giving a person who was wrongly convicted of a crime a life sentence at least gives them a chance to win their freedom back (however small of a chance it might be), when evidence that might clear them is discovered.

That is basically the only way a death penalty supporter can justify their stance. It does not deter crime, and a large number of people on death row are innocent. It's also significantly more expensive, sometimes bankrupting small towns. So in order to satisfy their bloodlust for something that does not even function in society in any way, they must be willing to kill innocent people and cause society extreme financial harm as well all for a result which doesn't even scare criminals into not committing crimes.

There is no actual way around this argument: they either are OK with those downsides in order to see someone they dislike die, or they are not and understand why the death penalty should never be a thing

One of the things that stood out to me was when Anders Brevik was sentenced to a lengthy prison term for some truly horrific crimes, but not death, most of the outrage I heard came from Americans, not Norwegians. Americans were offended that a crime happened in the world that was not being answered with capital punishment.

Monocle

They should hurry and kill him before he can weasel his way off death row and embarrass the state.

Blood for the blood god! Umm, I mean justice for the victim or whatever.

This type of situation is the only reason I'm not for the death penalty.

Well, it is one of the more substantial reasons not to support the death penalty.

There are plenty of other reasons to be against it too, but it still depresses me when people wholeheartedly support the death penalty despite the fact that innocent people are executed.

So he got a last minute stay?!!

tumblr_mfmhxaItuf1qjtv36o1_250.gif

There is no actual way around this argument: they either are OK with those downsides in order to see someone they dislike die, or they are not and understand why the death penalty should never be a thing.

A part of me wants to see them go through the mental gymnastics of justifying this. Another part of me doesn't wanna have an aneurysm. Oh well.

Source please?

and everyone keeps telling me death row inmates are all scientifically convicted without a shadow of a doubt nowadays so miscarriages of justice cannot happen. CSI and shit.

Amir0x

Banned
Source please?

A conservative estimate of 4.1% has been given by a study on the issue.

Other studies have ranged from 1.5%-5%.

The four authors reviewed the outcomes of the 7,482 death sentences handed down from 1973 to 2004. Of that group, 117, or 1.6 percent, were exonerated.

But with enough time and resources, the authors concluded that at least 4.1 percent of death row inmates would have been exonerated. In other words, more than 200 other prisoners would have been cleared during those three decades.

Yeah. But hey, that's not so bad!

The high rate of exoneration among death-sentenced defendants appears to be driven by the threat of execution, but most death-sentenced defendants are removed from death row and resentenced to life imprisonment, after which the likelihood of exoneration drops sharply. We use survival analysis to model this effect, and estimate that if all death-sentenced defendants remained under sentence of death indefinitely, at least 4.1% would be exonerated. We conclude that this is a conservative estimate of the proportion of false conviction among death sentences in the United States.

why is this an attack on death penalty instead of an attack of how bad the justice is?

I just dont understand how this guy is still being blamed if they have a confession

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom