• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A mexican kid stole your DS and ran for the border. Let's learn Spanish!

Vlad

I'm still trying to figure out why Gina's car has no passenger seat, myself. She's driving the car, yet she's hanging her whole arm out the passenger side window.

Crateman

IPGlider said:
Oh, maybe, but here, in Spain, a lot of people refer to the language as "castellano" and not as "español". And I'm one of them. :p

Even the vast amount of differences between the Spanish spoken in America and the Castellano spoken in Europe are enough to differentiate both branches of the language.

And the Mexican flag is not meant to offend you as a Spaniard. Because the game is marketed to an American audience, it's more appropriate to add an image of something that Americans can identify easily with Spanish. I could bet that the European cover would have a Spanish flag.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Is the dad Dr. Claw or something? Apparently his face is invisible, he's not even driving the car, and his eyes are glowing white diagonal slits.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
IPGlider said:
Spanish, from Spain, to be more exact castillian from the old Castilla. Every other spanish is just fucked up.

That cover makes me sick.
I agree with you. I mean no offense to Mexicans, but the flag everybody should associate the Spanish language with is the Spanish flag and no other one.
Crateman said:
Even the vast amount of differences between the Spanish spoken in America and the Castellano spoken in Europe are enough to differentiate both branches of the language.

And the Mexican flag is not meant to offend you as a Spaniard. Because the game is marketed to an American audience, it's more appropriate to add an image of something that Americans can identify easily with Spanish. I could bet that the European cover would have a Spanish flag.
Do not generalize. In South America we call the our language Castilliano. Maybe in Mexico people call it Spanish, but in every country I have been from South America we refer to it as Castilliano.

LaneDS

Vlad said:
I'm still trying to figure out why Gina's car has no passenger seat, myself. She's driving the car, yet she's hanging her whole arm out the passenger side window.

Her right arm is seven feet long, obviously. They don't call her Gina Vasquez for nothing, you know.

ElFly

godhandiscen said:
Do not generalize. In South America we call the our language Castilliano. Maybe in Mexico people call it Spanish, but in every country I have been from South America we refer to it as Castilliano.

Spanish, castilian, just names. We normally call it Castilian, but Spanish means the same thing.

I agree with you. I mean no offense to Mexicans, but the flag everybody should associate the Spanish language with is the Spanish flag and no other one.

:lol

Talas

godhandiscen said:
They call it Spanish in Colombia and Central America too.

Besides, Mexico and the US have the most hispanohablantes, así que ustedes pierden j/k ;)

ICallItFutile said:
ah man, I started busting out laughing at the cop cars. :lol :lol :lol

Yes! I couldn't breathe after the cop cars came. And, it still just kept getting better and BETTER. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
godhandiscen said:

Something tells me you don't live in the United States.

Pretty much all of the Spanish we hear comes from South America, predominantly from Mexicans (but Cubans and Puerto Ricans are also very common). Spanish is the #1 foreign language for any American to learn because of Mexico and it's many emigrants.

edit:
ZealousD said:
Something tells me you don't live in the United States.

Pretty much all of the Spanish we hear comes from South America, predominantly from Mexicans (but Cubans and Puerto Ricans are also very common). Spanish is the #1 foreign language for any American to learn because of Mexico and it's many emigrants.
Mexico isn't South America.:D

ChazAshley said:
wait... what's the legitimate non joke reason why the cops were chasing that kid's car?

im not even gonna touch that subject.:lol :lol

Graphics Horse said:
She married his father's brother.

2hwnpf9.gif
ooh, right... i totally didn't think about that

also, this GIF is gonna be a HUGE new GAF MEME...

LOOK OUT PHOENIX WRIGHT

*saves gif*

Batgirl

O.M.F.G.

I can not believe this actually got made. Whoever slid this past the censors is AMAZING.
Anyone know if it's on the shelves now? I've got a flight in a couple days and think I need to learn spanish then............

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I can't wait for the inevitable version for the Japanese language.

Your shoes get stolen by a Sexy Ninja, you have to go to Japan to get your shoes back. Then as your plane flies by the Ninja, you open the window and slap her.

Batgirl said:
O.M.F.G.

I can not believe this actually got made. Whoever slid this past the censors is AMAZING.
Anyone know if it's on the shelves now? I've got a flight in a couple days and think I need to learn spanish then............
well, it's in stock at amazon.com, i used the GAF Amazon search box and it's the first link when you search for "spanish for everyone"

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
viakado said:
edit:

Mexico isn't South America.:D

Oh whatever. pish posh. Semantics, semantics. It's south of The United States of America, which is all that matters. =P

Hot Chili

Don't know, maybe I'm speculating too much, but am I the only one who thought about this?

b4033d755992bc47028e5b6cd0f47065.jpg

Anyway, one of the best intros ever. Ever.

mugwhump

Vlad said:
It must be an authentic Spanish car, from Spain. They don't call her Gina Vasquez for nothing!

edit:
LaneDS said:
Her right arm is seven feet long, obviously. They don't call her Gina Vasquez for nothing, you know.
bwahaha what, you beat me. XD

Are people really arguing the whole Español/Castellano thing? Really? Even in Spain, people who would speak Galician, Catalan or any of the other Spanish languages at home learn Castilian at school. It's the official language, so it makes sense that it is associated with the country.

Also, having the Mexican flag on the cover instead of the Spanish one is to do with marketing. You have to play to your audience and the audience to this game is from the US: an audience that associates speaking Spanish with Mexico, not Spain. It is annoying (like how English is sometimes associated with the US flag instead of the Union Jack) but nothing to get into a twist over.

And don't any of you start on the whole ustedes/vosotros and which is correct thing. People will learn whatever dialect is dominant in their region. Thus the Japanese will learn American English while continental Europeans learn British English. Just be glad they aren't teaching the familiar "vos" (as used in parts of Central America, Argentina and Columbia) with its complicated and archaic grammatical forms.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
OMFG there are so many hints everywhere. Now i really want to play the game to find more. Cuz someone is being naughty and on purpose.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
IPGlider said:
Spanish, from Spain, to be more exact castillian from the old Castilla. Every other spanish is just fucked up.

That cover makes me sick.

take a look at the US. then take a look at the spanish speaking countries the US is close to.

godhandiscen said:

in guatemala we call is espanol.

i believe in north/central america they say espanol..

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Stumpokapow said:
Pero yo hablo Castilliano... y no hablo japonés. ¡"Mi entrenador de japonés" por favor!

Ooooh, castillian? In Chile, we call it 'castellano', fwiw.

That reminds me so much of an intro to some obscure late 80's/early 90's adventure game.

That would be the best game ever.

Wait, is this game a point-and-click adventure game?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Even in Spain, people who would speak Galician, Catalan or any of the other Spanish languages at home learn Castilian at school. It's the official language, so it makes sense that it is associated with the country.
Quite true. As a son of Spaniards raised in the US I learned Castilian as a kid where everyone else was speaking some other strange variant.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
"I simply cannot refuse a request from his charming boy"

>_> <_<

Where were all the Spanish chicks when I was younger?!

Seriously though, I really can't believe this got past NOA. Now I wonder what "Let's Learn Ebonics" would be like?

newsguy

So fitting that Gina looks chongaliscious. She's got big ass hoop earrings, ghetto ass hair, and too much eyeshadow. It's awesome, no one thinks it's racist but you put a black dude with big ass lips and white ass teeth in that driver seat and GAF implodes.

Jado

Banned
godhandiscen said:

I like how you said "no offense to Mexicans" and went on to post something offensive anyway. And no, I'm not Mexican. I just think that's some elitist bullshit right there. In the western hempisphere, the term "are you Spanish?" does not refer to somone from Spain. Not only that, but the numerous spanish-speaking Latin American countries at least the people I've met from such countries), who vastly outnumber Spain, have an easier time comprehending each others' Spanish than that of far-off Spain. Also, a Mexican flag is more synonymous with Spanish, especially in this part of the world.

But back to the game.. it's hilarious but I was almost sure it was a homebrew game until I saw official Activision cover art posted. :lol

Top Bottom