• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A mexican kid stole your DS and ran for the border. Let's learn Spanish!

Allen said:
Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality.png

Official_Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality_%28Original%29.jpg
>>>
Original_Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality_%28European%29_%28Custom%29.JPG
>>>
Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality.png

TJ Spyke

I had never even heard of the game before this thread, and now I am considering getting it. So the OP is helping Activision. :lol

Xeke

Banned
Attack You said:
Yes! I couldn't breathe after the cop cars came. And, it still just kept getting better and BETTER. :lol

That would be really awkward to watch with you...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Guybrush Threepwood said:

The evolution of the Nintendo seal of quality had a couple of EGM articles on them.

It was interesting, yet saddening that this traditional seal of quality has been degraded into a mere shadow of its former shelf.

Jado said:
In the western hempisphere, the term "are you Spanish?" does not refer to somone from Spain.
I'm not from the states, so I get the opposite. When people find out I can speak Spanish, they ask me what part of Spain I'm from. It gets annoying to have to explain the geography of the Americas when I tell them (I'm not Mexican either).

Jado said:
Not only that, but the numerous spanish-speaking Latin American countries at least the people I've met from such countries), who vastly outnumber Spain, have an easier time comprehending each others' Spanish than that of far-off Spain.
Depends on which Latin American countries you're talking about or what part of Spain. When I meet Chileans I honestly have to get them to either slow down or speak to me in English, because their mile-a-minute accents make them sound like Andalusians on speed. I can't understand it.

TJ Spyke

Jado said:
In the western hempisphere, the term "are you Spanish?" does not refer to somone from Spain.

Here in the US it does (at least in my personal experience). If someone is Spanish, it means they are from Spain. If you are from Mexico/Cuba/any other Spanish-language dominant country, you are Hispanic, not Spanish.

Jado

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
Here in the US it does (at least in my personal experience). If someone is Spanish, it means they are from Spain. If you are from Mexico/Cuba/any other Spanish-language dominant country, you are Hispanic, not Spanish.

I meant like a Puerto Rican will be casually asked if he's "Spanish," as in Spanish-speaking or from a Spanish-speaking Latin American country. He's not actually being asked if he's from Spain even though that's what "being Spanish" really means.

Despite the fact that this game is a shining example of casual stereotyping by people from the US, somehow I don't see anyone getting offended over this in Mexico. Part of the reason (I think) is that the same sort of thing happens over the border.

There's a stereotype in Latin America about the "Gringo": a tall, pale, blonde, bumbling state-sider who attempts to speak Spanish, but gets the grammar all wrong. "Yoe ser dei los estaddoes uniddoes", anyone?

TJ Spyke said:
i dunno what part of the US that is, but here in NYC, hispanic and spanish are interchangeable...

Hootie

I will not rest until somebody photoshops Pedobears face onto Gina Vasquez's, when she's telling him to come with her. :lol

This is epic.

Angelcurio

Mejilan said:
Ooooh, castillian? In Chile, we call it 'castellano', fwiw.
you are from chile?

Anyway, over here, in the caribbean, we call it it spanish. Latin American Spanish, even though we know that the right name of the language is Castellano, since it is a derivation of the latin spoken in Castilla. The one from spain, we call it spanish from Spain, since they way we pronounce a lot of words differs a lot from the spanish from spain.

Yeah, we know that the language is Castellano, but we simply like to call it Español. It's interchangeable, really.

However, I do find funny some of the elitist comments here. If anything, here in Mexico for women certain south american accents are considered sexy, whereas the accent of a guy from Spain will be mocked eternally.

Logan Cano said:
If anything, here in Mexico for women certain south american accents are considered sexy.
Let me guess... Columbian and Venezuelan accents, right? Not surprising really, since that's where a lot of the soap operas come from.

I have to believe that the developers tried to include as much questionable racial/sexual subtext as possible. They deserve some kind of award for slipping this past Activision.

Father_Brain said:
I have to believe that the developers tried to include as much questionable racial/sexual subtext as possible. They deserve some kind of award for slipping this past Activision.

And to think this is just the intro of the game. :lol

I need to get this on day one. I can just sense that there's going to be a big recall or something and all the offensive content will be removed.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Please, there's too many other games that are actually good coming out this season to waste your money on trash like this.

Joe Molotov

And to think this is just the intro of the game. :lol

I need to get this on day one. I can just sense that there's going to be a big recall or something and all the offensive content will be removed.

Maybe they're hoping for some "Hot Coffee" style backlash to help sell their Spanish language tutor game. :lol

iammeiam

Day one, man. For every reason mentioned here, PLUS I want to find out what "new leads" the kid will find when his aunt abandons him in Tijuana, and how he'll pay for the next leg in his trip.
Edit: Wait, it's out already? Holy cow.

ZealousD said:
Please, there's too many other games that are actually good coming out this season to waste your money on trash like this.

Well maybe some of these good games should have more racist and sexually explicit content while still having a family-friendly overtone.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Well maybe some of these good games should have more racist and sexually explicit content while still having a family-friendly overtone.

Super Mario Galaxy?

Joe Molotov

Exactly. These alleged "good games" have, to the best of my knowledge, exactly zero hot aunts taking you to Tijuana for the weekend, and not a single theft committed by a person of Mexican decent while on the run from immigration officials.

Top Bottom