• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Modern-Day Lynching In Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CExPdjtUgAANCnt.jpg:medium

Perfect response to that statement.

I feel bad for his husband/boyfriend/partner. The bit about him staying at home for over a year is just really sad.

Most racists don't actually know they're racist. Hell this applies to any form of bigotry really. =/

I mean, that's really the biggest problem in dealing with racism. It's that these kids are ALREADY IN PRISON FOR LIFE FOR MURDER and still won't admit to it because of the consequences of it. Which is ridiculous. People are so terrified of the (justifiable) social ostracization that it's impossible to get people to admit any prejudices whatsoever. Thus compounding the problem.

It starts with these kids parents though,.

I do love the "I didn't run him over, why am I in prison for it?" Uh, cause you beat him into a state of semi-consciousness, antagonized the kid that did run him over, and at no point attempt to stop it or call the police on him for what he did.

There is never a sense of responsibility for this shit. For the fact that the consequence of your inaction killed a man's husband simply because he has darker skin than you, and now the consequences you face is that the rest of your natural life will be spent in a cage.

These people are infuriating.
enhanced-buzz-wide-25397-1447796165-26.jpg

They specifically used racial words, it IS about racism, racism was already in the world!

I might just be coldblooded but I would have no tears for a member of my own family if they lynched someone.

rjinaz

I might just be coldblooded but I would have no tears for a member of my own family if they lynched someone.

I got to agree with the husband. What the hell do you have to cry about?

If it was my kid though I of course would cry, cry at the sadness of the situation. But of course I wouldn't raise racist killers so, yeah.

rjinaz

This kind of stuff is what brings racism into the world. I don’t see the point in saying anything about race or involving race.

They specifically used racial words, it IS about racism, racism was already in the world!

Man people want to try so hard to believe racism doesn't exist, even when it literally kills somebody.

outsida

"I mean we shouldn't rush to judgement. What was that guy doing to lock his keys in the car. We don't know what was said to cause the altercation."

Camjo-Z

He noted that Graves had told investigators that when her and her brother’s rooms were messy, Harvey would tell them they were “living like niggers.” Harvey denied saying that.

“I would have said Negroes, not niggers,” she said. “I just meant that their rooms were nasty, like a pigsty.”

be88df36e4b2caf99fab820cd270a326.png

Wingate asked her what she thought the word “nigger” meant.

“An ignorant, nasty person,” Harvey said. “I was taught in school that a nigger was a nasty person, and a Negro was a black person.”

“I would have said Negroes, not niggers,” she said.

16a9941c9585568bf7bdc43b672c03c9.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
“I lost my freedom, family, and everything else for a crime I didn’t commit,” Montgomery said.

Comment pretty much invalidates any claims of remorse, if one were to try and accept them. The story says he's the one who called the guy who committed the murder to the scene. He's not accepting any responsibility for his actions.

This is pretty much why I always scoff when someone says "racism will die when the old racists die". Old racism begets new. These teens learned hate and used the same ploys used by the old racists to terrorize and destroy black lives with no prompting or reason. People keep trying to explain it away when it happens today as the fault of the victims when it runs so much deeper.

Hardly, hardly surprising. My first trip to the US, I went to Atlanta. A military guy saw me waiting for a cab, and just plain told me "don't ride a nigger cab".

Second trip, was to New Hampshire. A drunken guy at Chilli's called the waitress "useless nigger" because she spilled some beer. None of the waitresses where black.

Here in Seattle? Between being almost left out of a flight, to effing France, because "Mexicans can't travel without visas!" to see a black guy being dragged out of a mall "because the ladies visiting (a bunch of women I suspect where from the south) didn't felt safe". The guy was a janitor. Employee at the mall.

Shaneus

Holy shit, this thread :(

Was having a read of the Wikipedia page, and at least Anderson's family are still remaining civil and level-headed about this (though they'd be justified in acting otherwise), while his sister penned this when mentioning the death penalty:
They also have caused our family unspeakable pain and grief. But our loss will not be lessened by the state taking the life of another. ... We also oppose the death penalty because it historically has been used in Mississippi and the South primarily against people of color for killing whites. Executing James' killers will not help balance the scales. But sparing them may help to spark a dialogue that one day will lead to the elimination of capital punishment.

On the four-year anniversary of Anderson’s death, Bradfield took De’Mariouz to the cemetery where he was buried. They stood on the gravesite and De’Mariouz placed a bouquet of flowers in the bronze holder above the headstone.

“De’Mariouz, why you don’t talk about Craig anymore?” Bradfield said.

“Daddy, you know why I don’t talk about Craig.”

“No, I don’t. Tell me why.”

“’Cause if I talk about Craig you gon’ cry and I don’t want you to cry and Craig don’t want you to cry.”

Fuck.

Amalthea

Banned
I really don't get the insane, almost fetishistic hatred of black people in the US culture, I actually get it but god damn how angry can you be about people you abducted to your country in the first place and still feel entitled that you somehow own them after more than 100 years since the civil war?

dalin80

Banned
While certainly heartbreaking and disturbing I'm not sure why a murder from 2011 is being brought up again has something new been revealed, is it just for clicks?

I think there was a thread on Gaf about this back when it first happened because I remember seeing parking lot camera footage of a similar story. Maybe I'm getting my awful racism stories mixed up.

dalin80

Banned
Federal Trial didn't end until this year.

Fair enough, I thought the trials were done back in 2012, I was unaware of the federal trial results from Feb.

Just read that several people who weren't even there that night were also convicted to several years, they must have fucked up pretty hard to get those times while not even being present at the original crime.

Fair enough, I thought the trials were done back in 2012, I was unaware of the federal trial results from Feb.

Just read that several people who weren't even there that night were also convicted to several years, they must have fucked up pretty hard to get those times while not even being present at the original crime.

Charged on other counts for other hate crimes they committed.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The part that struck me the most was how he still can't get over the anger. I know me, where I would want to go hunt down every last one of the little cunts and the willpower it takes not to give into that. Knowing he died because of some stupid racist little pieces of shit. Who are still crying it was youth and peer pressure. Bullshit.

This is something you'd be come to expect from a 3rd World Country. How can this kind of mentality persist in a First World problems country? Not in any First World problems country, but THE First World problems country.

he was having girl trouble also

Reminds me of one of the "reasons" cited for some Islamist terrorism.

Ninja Dom

Sad story.

So shameful that simply the dislike - hate of another man's race will cause people to do despicable things. Like revelling in murder.

Not to detract from the awfulness of this story, but this isn't a lynching. A lynching is when a mob of several dozen/hundred or so gather to kill someone for some perceived crime. In terms of the South, it refers to the practice of entire towns of white people gathering and murdering black people without trial.

This is a bunch of drunk assholes attacking a guy.

Not to detract from the awfulness of this story, but this isn't a lynching. A lynching is when a mob of several dozen/hundred or so gather to kill someone for some perceived crime. In terms of the South, it refers to the practice of entire towns of white people gathering and murdering black people without trial.

This is a bunch of drunk assholes attacking a guy.
Lynchings in the South were not at all limited to extrajudicial punishment, Jeffries. African Americans were killed for every reason under the sun, as terrorizing black communities and asserting white dominance was the underlying motive.

Title is accurate.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Goddamn what a heartbreaking story. At least justice was served and they're all in jail, but it's small comfort, considering. That poor man... and his husband being such a wreck, it's horrible.

That perp's mom saying those things about niggers and negroes and denying she was racist, holy shit. Such blistering stupidity and lack of self-awareness, it's mind-boggling.

I remember this trial; made national news when he was sentenced (this is actually an old story). The video that was captured of the event was horrible...

You can still find the CNN version of the video report on youtube, posted in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom