• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Modern-Day Lynching In Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The part that struck me the most was how he still can't get over the anger. I know me, where I would want to go hunt down every last one of the little cunts and the willpower it takes not to give into that. Knowing he died because of some stupid racist little pieces of shit. Who are still crying it was youth and peer pressure. Bullshit.

I think if those hateful fucks would just own what they did it might give him at least SOME closure. But hearing their families bitch out defense attourny's for not doing a good enough job. Cry for their racist kids going to prison. Watch them justify what they did. Knowing what that horrible mother said about "niggers and negroes" to brush away the fact that she couldn't POSSIBLY have raised racist children because she is a racist. If anything, this horrible tragedy is making their disgusting families even MORE racist because "if it weren't for that uppity darky knowing his place, our kids wouldn't be in prison"

How can you get any closure what so ever if the hateful little shits that killed the love of your life don't even show any remorse, guilt, empathy or regret? You're left with nothing BUT anger to hold on too.

I wanna give the big man a hug so bad.

The racism present was not the public and proud strain common in America’s past. This was racism clouded by denial and shame. Sarah Graves’ mother, Mary Miles Harvey, wrote a letter to the court saying that she didn’t raise her daughter to be a racist. At Graves’ sentencing hearing, Judge Harvey Wingate called Harvey to the witness stand to ask her about the letter. He noted that Graves had told investigators that when her and her brother’s rooms were messy, Harvey would tell them they were “living like niggers.” Harvey denied saying that.

“I would have said Negroes, not niggers,” she said. “I just meant that their rooms were nasty, like a pigsty.”

Wingate asked her what she thought the word “nigger” meant.

“An ignorant, nasty person,” Harvey said. “I was taught in school that a nigger was a nasty person, and a Negro was a black person.”

So, according to her the word nigger means nasty person and negro means black person. If these are her definitions then why would she say that she would have used the word negro (black person) instead of nigger (nasty person) when describing the rooms of her kids as nasty. That would mean she thinks that black people are nasty.

The conclusion is that she's full of shit and clearly racist.

Lynchings in the South were not at all limited to extrajudicial punishment, Jeffries. African Americans were killed for every reason under the sun, as terrorizing black communities and asserting white dominance was the underlying motive.

Title is accurate.

No it is not, anymore than if you called the attacks in Paris a pogrom or a holocaust. A lynching is a politically sanctioned mob murdering someone. It describes the fear and terror of black life in the American South from 1865 to the 1960s when black people had to live in waking terror of not only being attacked, but the police and courts doing nothing about it. Whites in the South had so much freedom in this regard that they created postcards of lynchings and mailed them out to people.

This is a terrible attack, but the word lynching is to describe something far more horrible. The police and courts not only did something in this case, they are black themselves. Using it now dilutes and distorts its meaning so that people will be even more confused about the horror of the South and conversely, how powerful the changes MLK brought there with his marches and political activism.

It's a complete disrespect to their legacy and how bad it truly was back then to parade it out for every race crime. I'm not calling out OP or anyone else since BuzzFeed is just shallowly using it for shock value, just pointing out it's not a word that should be thrown around lightly.

Slayven

No it is not, anymore than if you called the attacks in Paris a pogrom or a holocaust. A lynching is a politically sanctioned mob murdering someone. It describes the fear and terror of black life in the American South from 1865 to the 1960s when black people had to live in waking terror of not only being attacked, but the police and courts doing nothing about it. Whites in the South had so much freedom in this regard that they created postcards of lynchings and mailed them out to people.

This is a terrible attack, but the word lynching is to describe something far more horrible. The police and courts not only did something in this case, they are black themselves. Using it now dilutes and distorts its meaning so that people will be even more confused about the horror of the South and conversely, how powerful the changes MLK brought there with his marches and political activism.

It's a complete disrespect to their legacy and how bad it truly was back then to parade it out for every race crime. I'm not calling out OP or anyone else since BuzzFeed is just shallowly using it for shock value, just pointing out it's not a word that should be thrown around lightly.

They killed him just because he was black.

Like so many other lynchings.

Folks trusting to whitewash and bury history and how it effects today grind my gears

And it should be used in every lynching so folks won't forget

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LB is suffering from "technically correctis" aka pedantry syndrome.Sure it's not a lynching in the exact dictionary definition of the word, but there is such a thing as picking your outrage, ya know? When you seem more upset at the liberties of language than the actual atrocity being committed you might want to step back a little...

Slayven

LB is suffering from "technically correctis" aka pedantry syndrome.Sure it's not a lynching in the exact dictionary definition of the word, but there is such a thing as picking your outrage, ya know? When you seem more upset at the liberties of language than the actual atrocity being committed you might want to step back a little...

Is there a scale for a hate crime, if they had on hood and robes said vote for David Duke would that take it from lynch-lite to full SSS Class Lynching?

Shit is ridiculous

Dhx

I'm not sure I would describe his post as outraged.

Africanus

91gJYFB.jpg

"I sacrifice two BlackLivesMatter protestors..."

"To bring back Martin Luther King from the graveyard!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom