• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora update which launches today adds a 40 fps mode on PS5 and XBS

Skifi28

Probably not ideal for an fps, but I'm always happy to see more devs adding 40fps modes. FF XVI and Rebirth could have really used one.

Last edited:
Game is great, got it for 30% off and had a great time. Would be even better now that they’ve fixed stealth and other nitpicks I had with it.

if you're reading this it's too late GIF by KATE BONES

Gambit2483

Is this better than Far Cry 6 or are both shit? I'm thinking of buying one of them.
Far Cry 6 is decent fun for $30 or less...I can't see this being much better with less vehicles, weapons and biomes.

I'm personally waiting for a deep sale to pick this up.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Yeah i find it odd they went fps, youd think they would go tps since its just a reskin of far cry
It isn't a reskin of Far Cry. It has Far Cryesque elements, but it isn't a reskin.
I broke my 7+ year long "do not buy an Ubisoft game" self enforced resolution for this game.

It was an utter fucking disappointment. One of the most boring games iv ever played. Never again.
I've found that Avatar really sells the exploration part well and that if this is approached by anyone expecting a Far Cry game, you will leave disappointed.

Seems like you did.

Spyxos

I broke my 7+ year long "do not buy an Ubisoft game" self enforced resolution for this game.

It was an utter fucking disappointment. One of the most boring games iv ever played. Never again.
Game is great, got it for 30% off and had a great time. Would be even better now that they’ve fixed stealth and other nitpicks I had with it.
So good or bad? I'm also thinking about getting it. If only because of the graphics.

Darsxx82

Cool.

But is this the fsr3 frame Gen they talked about?
I think Massive has not confirmed the implementation of Frame Gen, it only updated to FSR3 (resolution upscaling) compared to FS2 at launch.

The effort is certainly appreciated. Avatar was released in a more than decent way on all platforms and was one of the most impressive and graphically and technically advanced games (RTGi, RT reflections and RT shadow on console). They have fixed the small details and bugs and now add a new playable mode.

They have my respect and my best feelings for SW Outlaw.

CamHostage

I'm curious how many Xbox Series games have 40Hz modes? Plague Tale offers it, Lies of P I see has the option, maybe some other 3rd Party games, none of the 1st Party titles from what I can tell? It's a nice feature (albeit limited in how many TVs can run it, and almost none I can see in the apartment-sized 40" under-$700 range that some people have to live off with, but still, 40Hz is a good use of existing tech standards and a real boost through appropriate compromise,) I'd like to see it more often

Good mode to add to Avatar, I hope it strikes the right balance and makes the most of this game's impressive engine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm curious how many Xbox Series games have 40Hz modes? Plague Tale offers it, Lies of P I see has the option, maybe some other 3rd Party games, none of the 1st Party titles from what I can tell? It's a nice feature (albeit limited in how many TVs can run it, and almost none I can see in the apartment-sized 40" under-$700 range that some people have to live off with, but still, 40Hz is a good use of existing tech standards and a real boost through appropriate compromise,) I'd like to see it more often

Good mode to add to Avatar, I hope it strikes the right balance and makes the most of this game's impressive engine.

Not enough Xbox 1P games have 40hz or even unlocked-for-VRR options. They absolutely should as the system's VRR implementation is objectively better (higher range and system-wide 120hz low framerate compensation support).

A damn fucking shame games like Starfield don't have 40hz options. I really hope they're reconsidering it for future games like Hellblade.

CamHostage

I think Massive has not confirmed the implementation of Frame Gen, it only updated to FSR3 (resolution upscaling) compared to FS2 at launch.

The effort is certainly appreciated. Avatar was released in a more than decent way on all platforms and was one of the most impressive and graphically and technically advanced games (RTGi, RT reflections and RT shadow on console). They have fixed the small details and bugs and now add a new playable mode.

They have my respect and my best feelings for SW Outlaw.

Hmm, that's a really weird set of circumstances there...

FSR3.0 is Frame Gen; that's the major feature inclusion/modification. The FSR upscaler, in the meanwile, is largely the same as FSR2.2. As described by AMD, "No changes to upscaling, except explicitly supporting NativeAA mode and a bugfix related to it." FSR will get a significant update in the upcoming 3.1, but otherwise the changes specific to the upscaler appear to be small X.0.1 tweaks if anything.

So then, Avatar was the first game made to support FSR3.0... yet, the console versions do not offer Frame Gen.

(Not that it would make a lot of sense on consoles, since FSR Frame Gen is recommended only for 60FPS and above; Avatar is a 60Hz game but Frame Gen wouldn't have gotten to 120 so I guess no reason for it on most TVs? Still what did FSR3.0 mean, if anything, in the console versions?)

And then Massive was the co-host of the GDC panel AMD threw for FSR3.0 (where AMD also introduced FSR 3.1), but from what I remember of skimming that talk, there was not a lot of console talk in there (nothing I heard where they said, "We tried Frame Gen on Xbox and PS5 but darn it, couldn't do it"... they did say some solutions they worked on could open up "platform agnostic frame generation", and when mentioning that Frame Gen was PC-only, there was a "at the moment..." tag added on ,but that is all regarding future Massive projects.) And then, in their own headlined show, Massive got set aside so that Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart could be the premiere game for FSR3.1 (...in screenshots/GIFs.) Weird billing for this event, although I still recommend the GDC talk if you're tech-minded and curious about Avatar/Snowdrop/FSR.

Ratchet is still the only game officially announced to support FRS3.1, BTW; Avatar didn't get grandfathered in yet, and Star Wars Outlaws has yet to join the roster of 1. FSR3.1 is set to usher in a few much-desired changes beyond just upscaler improvement, including some level of DLL "upgradeabiliy" availability, but 3.0 is still only supported in about 20 games and only 40 total are signed up. Hopefully 3.1 will speed things up and sign more on / ship more support when it finally arrives.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Full patch notes in Avatar Frontiers of Pandora - Title Update 3.2 (due out April 23):

AVATAR: FRONTIERS OF PANDORA – TITLE UPDATE 3.2​

Title Update 3.2 will begin going live on April 23rd at 8:00 AM UTC / 10:00 AM CEST / 1:00 AM PDT
Read a detailed list of fixes & adjustments that are coming with Title Update 3.2 below:

TU3.2 PATCH SIZES:​

• PS5 - 2,4 GB
  • Xbox Series X/S - 3.1 GB
  • PC - 3 GB

NOTABLE IMPROVEMENTS:​

• [Xbox Series X/S, PS5] Added a 40 FPS mode.
  • [PC] Enabled Intel XeSS Super Sampling.

GLOBAL:​

• Added Fast Travel option to Research Station Alpha.
  • Controller re-mapping no longer resets on game restart.
  • Fixed various crashes.
  • Fixed a few misspellings.
  • Fixed some voice lines overlapping during dialogue.

TECHNICAL:​

• [PC] AMD FSR3 has been temporarily rolled back.
  • Dev Note: To prevent visual artifacts impacting the interpolation output of FSR3 Frame Generation we've decided to roll back to the previously used version of FSR3. Despite this rollback, we've decided to keep certain improvements that we introduced with the upgraded version, such as improvements to UI composition when using Frame Generation.

MAIN QUESTS & SIDE-QUESTS:​

• [Main Quest - Shadows of the Past] Fixed an issue that would prevent the quest from updating when done in co-op.

ADDITIONAL BUG FIXES:​

• [All Platforms] Rescued Resistance human characters no longer appear back in the Resistance HQ with a mask on.
  • [All Platforms] Some NPCs no longer become invisible when at the edge of the Player's vision.

Stunning looking game, I look forward to actually playing the co-op one day. Maybe I'll pick it up on a sale sometime in the future and give it more than the couple hours I played on Ubi+.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

It isn't a reskin of Far Cry. It has Far Cryesque elements, but it isn't a reskin.

I've found that Avatar really sells the exploration part well and that if this is approached by anyone expecting a Far Cry game, you will leave disappointed.

Seems like you did.
You hunt animals for upgrades, climb towers for map pieces and take down outpost its totally not far cry

CamHostage

You hunt animals for upgrades, climb towers for map pieces and take down outpost its totally not far cry

You could say that for a variety of open-world games... but whichever way, Avatar is not a "reskinned" Far Cry.

Different developer. Different engine. Different game mechanics.

Massive borrowed a ton from the "Ubisoft Open-World Playbook" to make its own game, it's certainly familiar in design choices to Far Cry fans and distancing to those who don't like Far Cry, but there would be not much if any Far Cry code to be found in Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora.

🖨️ Reskinned games used to happen in the early days of 3D games and also quite a bit in 2D games, when a developer was lucky enough to get game systems to work right one time and so then they pitched their tech systems to publishers and built new games on top of what they did before. Super Mario 2 was a localized reskin of Doki Doki Panic, for example; Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds was largely a reskin of Age of Empires 2. (Now, you would just call that the "engine" powering each game using the tech stack.) Far Cry is one of the rare modern game franchises to be involved in the "reskinning" process, as its Blood Dragon, Primal, and New Dawn stand-alone expansions use elements of the core game refashioned for a new game concept.

You can call it a Far Cry Clone, but "reskinning" a game is its own thing. And if you want to say, "I don't give a fuck about what words mean, I'm going to say reskinned and assume you know what I'm saying," so be it. But Avatar is not reskinned Far Cry.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So it has.. FarCry esque elements. Gee, that's what i said!

Its similar but not the same. Avatar definitely embraces exploration a lot more than Far Cry and it actually pulls up a great game doing so.

hussar16

So it has.. FarCry esque elements. Gee, that's what i said!

Its similar but not the same. Avatar definitely embraces exploration a lot more than Far Cry and it actually pulls up a great game doing so.
I'm more upset the game and main story is less avatar and more destory this base like every 2nd mission. It gets stale asf just combat

hussar16

Is the game worth it a decent discount? I do like the movies and the world.
Yes but it's filled with ubisoft open world fluff .do u really want to do it is the bigger question.the map is kind of atrocious and hard to see what is goin on so many icons

Top Bottom