• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A number of physical Xbox Series games from small publishers have been marked as canceled on Gamestop's internal system

LordCBH

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

N30RYU

It's a little too late (a whole generation) to try and make xbox users grow a digital backlog if gamepass doesn't attach them to your brand.

Three

Did you read the tweet?
My bad, missed the last bit about it still being available for other platforms.

I guess the digital only Series X is probably happening, completely screwing those who bought the old one for physical. I'm left wondering who's bright idea it was to call it the 'Series X refresh' too but still have game boxes with "compatible with Series X" on them. What did they think was going to happen there?

Topher

Gold Member
That's not the point and you know it!

Yeah, I know that's not the point, but I just don't think these games make the point very well. We already seen reports that Walmart is dropping Xbox physical games. Limited Run said the lack of demand for Xbox games is a problem for them. Not exactly a shock that these handful of games that no one ever heard of are not getting physical releases for Xbox.

Is there some other major point being made here that I'm missing?

Edit:

My bad, missed the last bit about it still being available for other platforms.

I guess the digital only Series X is probably happening, completely screwing those who bought the old one for physical. I'm left wondering who's bright idea it was to call it the 'Series X refresh' too but still have game boxes with "compatible with Series X" on them. What did they think was going to happen there?

Oh......is that the conclusion that everyone is coming to? Hmm, ok. Could be further signs of that I suppose. If that is what you were getting at mckmas8808 mckmas8808 then yeah, I actually did miss the point.

Last edited:

Krieger

Xbox is dead. Even small developers developing games nobody ever heard of know this. At this point there is no reason for any developer to even start working on a Xbox version until Phil gives them a gamepass contract.

EDMIX

This is the craziest week of gaming I can remember.

And mere months after Activision closed. Like buying a Ferrari then totaling it before you leave the dealership.

Trust, if they are going 3rd party, we are going to see one of the craziest news cycles since Sega existing the hardware market.

This is going to be a massive one.

panda-zebra

It's all finally starting to make sense this past week. "the current culture of criticism and cancellation" was dismissed as unfortunate word salad a year ago, but seems it was a prophecy, a portent.

Looking forward to hearing more next week, Phil <3

DryvBy

I'm curious if Microsoft is going to make physical copies of their games on Switch and PlayStation. Or is LRG/GameStop going to make them?

If you haven't lived through one of these before, there's something trippy about having say Halo with a PS logo. Most of us lived through it with the first Sonic games on GameCube.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is there some other major point being made here that I'm missing?

Edit:

Oh......is that the conclusion that everyone is coming to? Hmm, ok. Could be further signs of that I suppose. If that is what you were getting at mckmas8808 mckmas8808 then yeah, I actually did miss the point.

LOL! Yep! I think they are pulling their physical games from retailers specifically because MS has now officially told them their "business strategy" that Phil or Nadella will announce to the world next week.

Top Bottom