• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Portrait of An Icon - (Brazil) Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM94

Football365 have been running a series profiling iconic players from the history of the game and they’ve recently put up a marvellous piece on Ronaldo , the legendary Brazilian striker dubbed ‘Il Fenomeno’, ‘The Phenomenon.

Ronaldo.jpg

“Imagine you asked God to be the best player in the world, and he listened to you” – Sir Bobby Robson.

The article begins with Ronaldo’s miraculous comeback at the 2002 world cup

Ronaldo’s four years between the 1998 and 2002 World Cups were largely spent in various periods of rehabilitation, recovering from a ruptured tendon sustained in 1999 and knee ligament injury in 2000.

Between November 1999 and May 2002, Ronaldo managed just 17 club games between the ages of 23 and 26, the peak years of the modern striker.

Somehow he got himself fit for the World Cup in South Korea and Japan.

Sporting history is littered with great comebacks, but few beat Ronaldo’s.

Not only did Brazil win the game and Ronaldo score both goals in the final, he won the Golden Boot and was later named World Player of the Year for a third time. Before that World Cup, Ronaldo had not played a competitive international since July 1999

It then looks back at Ronaldo’s peak season at club level, 1996/7 with Barcelona at the age of 20:

Although Ronaldo’s records at Inter and Real were supreme, it was his year at Barcelona that gave us the greatest glimpse into his true majesty. His 47 goals in 49 games came in an era before Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo normalised exceptionally prolific scoring.

ronaldo_barcelona.jpg

Many of his strikes left even his own team-mates astonished, one such example being his goal against Compostela.. He is kicked, tripped and shirt-pulled by the opposition but he pulls away from defender after defender in a sprint from the halfway line in which the ball never leaves his feet until the final moment when he fires it inside the near post.

Old football can look relatively slow and clumsy, evolution being what it is, yet Ronaldo’s speed is awesome even to modern eyes spoiled by the frantic pace of the game nowadays.

As the writer makes clear:

Playing as a striker has become tough in the modern game, with players increasingly asked to carry out a multi-functional role.
Ronaldo ruined it for the next generation, because he found it so easy.
With the pace of a wing-back, strength of a central midfielder, dribbling attributes of a winger and finishing of a striker, he was the complete centre-forward that could also use both feet, just for fun.

In spite of his efforts, Barcelona did not win the league thanks to the organization of La Liga. The season did not finish until mid-June and as a consequence that meant Ronaldo was off playing for Brazil in the Copa America instead of playing his part in Barca's title run-in.

Ronaldo could have done no more however. He helped the team win the Copa del Rey and scored the winning goal in the Cup Winners' Cup final against Paris Saint Germain. The team had also won the Spanish Super Cup. He had also scored the goal that meant Barcelona won the second Clasico of the season against Real Madrid that left them in pole position for the league ahead of the run-in.

Sadly Ronaldo's continued to succumb to serious injuries;

That season is also tinged with sadness. While Ronaldo’s greatest international moments were still to come, 1996/97 marked the height of his club performance. His was a career skewed towards its start, riddled with serious injuries that made his continued presence at the highest level a near miracle. Ronaldo scored 250 club goals before 23, but only 50 after turning 30.

Even his weight issues, drawing ridicule, had foundation in illness. Ronaldo suffered with hypothyroidism, a condition that slowed his metabolism.

“To control it I would have to take medication which is considered illegal in football,” he said

Alas, Ronaldo’s body was not made for footballing old age.

Tears flowed down his cheeks as he announced his retirement at the age of 34. “My career was beautiful, it was wonderful,” he said. “I have to accept I’ve lost to my body. I have pain even while climbing the stairs.”

For Ronaldo, this was a career of extraordinary spurts and long spells of heartache, of numerous personal accolades but no European Cups and just four league titles in 18 years.

In 1997, aged 21, Ronaldo became the youngest winner of the Ballon d’Or, a record he still holds. He received 38 votes for first place that year; nobody else got more than two. He also broke the world transfer record twice before his 21st birthday.

He’s the greatest striker I’ve seen in my lifetime, I feel privileged to have seen him play, he was the perfect centre-forward. Explosive power and pace, but blessed with a supreme first-touch and dribbling technique. He was unstoppable, regularly humiliating some of the best defenders in the world on a weekly basis and at such a young age. One of the most famous battles being against the great Alessandro Nesta in the 1998 UEFA Cup final, his signature Elastico trick performed against him is shown in the last gif in this post.

Who can forget that night at Old Trafford when he scored one of the best hat-tricks the Champions League has ever seen , he later went off to a standing ovation from both sets of fans.

What I think some people may forget when they talk about Ronaldo is the man had three serious knee injuries. It’s nothing short of extraordinary that he still had the career he did, playing at perhaps barely half at his physical potential, he was still among the world’s best. A total freak of a footballer, a phenomenon.

There are players who have achieved more, but nobody has truly replicated his blend of strength, speed and skill.

The fat one. The old one. There are still people who remember him as the one: Il Fenomeno.

If he did not have these injuries, (in my opinion) that he would be regarded unequivocally as the greatest player to have ever graced the game.

giphy.gif

ronaldo.gif

tumblr_nm3gt0kYno1u7q0qeo1_400.gif

IC7VTA.gif

A selection of quotes:

“It is not enough to think of Ronaldo; Ronaldo is football.”
- Gabriel Batistuta

“There was no system or tactics that could stop him.”
— Zinedine Zidane

“I’d seen him on television at PSV and thought ‘wow’. Then he came to Barcelona. He’s the most spectacular player I’ve ever seen.”
— Luis Enrique

“I wasn’t able to see Pele play, but I’ve seen Ronaldo”
— Emerson

“The most complete striker there has ever been, the most complete striker there will ever be”
— Ronaldinho

“He was a formidable player, a sensational player. He was sort of like an alien because of what he could do on the pitch”
— Gianluigi Buffon

“Ronaldo, the phenomenon, was the greatest player I have ever coached.”
— Fabio Capello

“The first time I saw him play was at Cruzeiro. He was still a kid. He ended up scoring five goals.”
— Cafu

“Ronaldo was my hero. He was the best striker I’ve ever seen. He was so fast he could score from nothing, and could shoot the ball better than anyone.”
— Lionel Messi

tumblr_nv3g6fvKHv1qm9rypo1_500.jpg

As a Brazilian it was kinda surreal to see, at the time, a bunch of other Brazilians saying that Ronaldo's age was over, that there was np way the team could win the 2002 cup. Only to have Ronaldo destroy the other teams. Even after the... scandals that followed him years later, I still consider him to be the best player.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
A legendary player, a much less exemplary person (but that's something for other discussion).

Inside the pitch Ronaldo is the personification of the perfect striker: fast, intelligent, skilled and merciless.

Even at his final hours at Corinthians, a lot of pounds above the ideal physical form he still amazed.

The goal below is awesome when you consider everything he gone through and the quality of players today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSrAX3jKNBY

offshore

Way back when I used to play footy on the field as a kid, every kid used to call themselves Ronaldo. lol. They was no other player close to having that kind of idolisation at the time.

Though sometimes if a kid scored from a crazy free kick, they would call themselves Roberto Carlos, haha.

Way back when I used to play footy on the field as a kid, every kid used to call themselves Ronaldo. lol. They was no other player close to having that kind of idolisation at the time.

Though sometimes if a kid scored from a crazy free kick, they would call themselves Roberto Carlos, haha.

This so much!

slider

As I was reading the OP I was thinking about one specific instance. And it's that last gif. I remember when I saw it "live" (or highlights) I thought to myself "his fucking leg moved so quickly!"

Loved him as a player. Remember being very sad reading an interview with him where he said something like he wished he was still a kid playing footy with his mates without all the pressures and bullshit of being a superstar. Heh.

Edit: Playing five a side tomorrow evening and, having watched the YT vids, I feel fucking inspired. Oorah.

Cystm

He raised the standard of football. He literally made kids better just by watching him play the game. Ronaldinho, Cristiano, Messi, anyone else playing today have this guy's influence.

It's the 4-minute mile effect.

Gordo Ronaldo however, is a sad sight.

TM94

Yeah we would try and dribble around the keeper like Ronaldo did.

Never could do it well mind you.

lotufo

Neo Member
Amazing player. Probably the best finisher I've ever seen next to Romário. They both had that deadly (and ridiculously accurate) toe kick finish.

Shame he's throwing all that goodwill away these past few years.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ronaldo in his prime imo is one of those untouchable sport legends. I remember watching some of his early Barca games in complete fucking awe. He was an absolute monsssster and maestro on the field.

Imo on of the biggest talents ever. I thought his reign would last much and much longer and be remembered as the best player ever. Maradonna level greatness.
Unfortunately it didn't last that long.

Kid was unstoppable.

Loris146

Imo on of the biggest talents ever. I thought his reign would last much and much longer and be remembered as the best player ever. Maradonna level greatness.
Unfortunately it didn't last that long.

Kid was unstoppable.

He didn't player for almost 18 months after his injury... Lot of people thought he was done. He came back and won world cup with 8 goals in 7 matches ( all time record for a single competition). Immense talent.

He didn't player for almost 18 months after his injury... Lot of people thought he was done. He came back and won world cup with 8 goals in 7 matches ( all time record for a single competition). Immense talent.

Yeah he had some really bad luck. Such a shame. But i'll never forget what i have seen, sitting in front of the tv.

black_13

Banned
I grew up watching him play and made me really love football. And it's amazing how much he did in spite of all his injuries.

rikichi

Yup, this Ronaldo was so much more exciting to watch. The moves he put on some guys, gotdamn! I was screaming Ole Ole Ole!

nitewulf

the best ronaldo. phenomenal player, i mean, in front of goal, one on one with the keeper...he must have been a sight of pure terror, there was no way you could guess which direction he'd go. if it wasn't for the injuries, he'd be mentioned in the same sentence as pele, maradona...

i still watch this clip every chance i get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NKgu5HGumc

Loris146

The hype in Italy was unreal in 97/98... I can't even imagine with all the social media / yt what kind of impact he would have today lol

Hyllian

Best striker ever, for sure! We had many good strikers, but no one has ever achieved his level of merciless and threat to the opponent's defence. Other than that, his dribble skills were amazing!

Kill3r7

Arguably the two best number 9s to play the game both had their careers cut short due to injury. He was phenomenal.

Raptor

This dude was fucking insane.

Him and Romario are the most espectacular brazilians I have ever seen skill wise.

They embarrased defenders like nothig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom