• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A rant about the German games industry youth

Herr Edgy

Good evening to you guys,

first thread of mine. I thought about creating a thread on this topic since I figured that some people might find it interesting since most people here I figure are neither German nor in the games industry at all.
This OP might also be a bit incoherent or aimless, as I just strive to get all the bad stuff off my chest.

First things first, I'm 23 yo, I'm finishing my master's degree in computer science and am working part time in a company called articy, which is a small German company that provides tools for the international games industry. I'm responsible for the Unreal Engine 4 integration of the tool called articy draft, which is a program that allows for content management and creation of complex, logic driven dialogue. It is being used for games like Dying Light 2 and by various different larger publishers and/or developers who I may not be allowed to name.
I've led a team of 8-14-6 people/students over the course of 1.5 years before; it was my first contact with the Unreal Engine 4 and I've been working with it ever since. The project was supposed to be a large scale (way too ambitious) 3rd person adventure/rpg inspired by more mature JRPG stories, a methodical action combat system, and a world that doesn't try to be big but dense with worldbuilding aspects. It was supposed to be a learning project, and if successful, we'd try and commercialize/professionalize it after finishing with university.
We went to the German Dev Days, which is a conference primarily for German game dev students, where professionals across Germany and some international names like CDPR and Valve hold some talks about various matters.
We got one of the few 'newcomer' slots where we could present our game to the people and I was even contacted by the publisher hosting the event if we were looking for a publisher: big success in my eyes.

However, my focus shifted and I had to cancel the project shortly before the publisher contacted me. It was fine, however. There would be other priorities I had to take care of, and the experience I gained was worth far more than anything else I received. With a couple of good people and the experience gained, the same thing we accomplished would be achievable in a couple months or so I figured, if I were to restart doing a similar project.
a833b242fdb0ecfecff52825e1cc6bb9-1030x522.jpg

3715dedc610a20cb2595a959d322e826-1030x479.jpg

215b9840407004f83564759b33108dc2-1030x638.jpg
Compared to some of you guys, I'm certainly young, yet I feel like I have become an old man over the course of the last couple years. Life has taken its toll, ambitions were had and let go, betrayals of people I thought dear happened and some kind of animosity towards quite a few of the 'young would-be game developers' I have interacted with so far remains.

One impression remains: the German games industry is f*cked. Over the years I've seen many different student teams come and go, and some of those that came and stayed are simply put mediocre. Which would be fine - why would student projects need to be comparable to games made by industry veterans with budgets? Why is it bad then? Because the attitude behind those students, teams and even local professionals and professors acts as if those upcoming games were the holy grail(s) or something. First things first, in case anyone I'm talking about reads this and puts 1 and 1 together: I like most you guys as people. But I just can't act as if the constant celebration of mediocrity somehow merited praise.

There are so many students around me that either are total slackers and therefore won't manage to get into the industry in the first place, and the others are mostly (not all!) a bunch of ego-stroking narcissists. The worst part is that those glorifiying their minor accomplishments just seemingly stop striving to improve. Why would they try and improve if their babysteps into serious game development were admired by many? There are people trying to create a company with a game that has been in development for more than a year that features nothing but running and swinging from a hook, with about 5 different kinds of floors and containers placed seemingly randomly in the air. The last time I saw the game, only the arms in the first person perspective were different.

There is another game that has been in development for 2.5 years now and artistically they have improved a lot. Gameplay wise? There is nothing but walking. No (implemented) story either, so it certainly isn't even a 'walking simulator'. Last I've heard they got a new programmer whose work they might not put into the trash as they've done before again and again.

My ex girlfriend, who is also a German student at another, private university, is the same fame-hungry egomaniac that would do anything for more recognition while dismissing the hard work that actual professionals put into their products or artworks. Talking about producing art books for their game before they even had the first pieces of art, in a team of 20 people who were mostly inexperienced, with a 'creative director' who knew nothing but to talk about games - like we do on here, while at the same time advocating a possible deal with Microsoft of all companies. They even implemented an NDA. The game ended in desaster, as I foresaw. It's a 2D Metroidvania-esque (more 2D platformer than Metroidvania really) game where, as I've heard from team members after the fact, half the levels don't work properly as you can't progress without using debug controls. What they created in half a year by twenty people would have been achievable by actual developers in a couple weeks and by 3-4 people at most.

It's this bubble that they live in, a bubble that I try to pop. I recently measured 'our' success as upcoming German developers with entries and winners of the rookie awards, which were miles upon miles better made than anything I've seen German students produce. Upon mentioning that in the German games industry facebook group, about half of the people responding got defensive and blamed it on the lack of quality docents due to lack of money. Which certainly plays a role, but it's not the end all be all some people there made it out to be.

Whenever I receive contact requests by people on linkedIn I do not know, that didn't send me a message and that have 500+ contacts listed (it stops giving accurate numbers when reaching 500 and just says 500+), I just decline the request, no matter if working at Nintendo (this happened recently) or any other big shot company. This certainly isn't specific to the games industry, but it's behavior that I despise nowadays. People play their games of who claps the hardest, who has the 'most friends' and they believe that having a large number of contacts on linkedIn means that they have good chances at becoming a rockstar. And all of that while not advancing their own abilities to the degree they should.

Recently, I got my very own Unreal Engine 4 workshop I created with a guy (I was the primary initiator and host though) stolen by that very same guy. The workshop was hosted in anticipation of the game jam that is done every 6 months here for a week, where people come together to create a game. Seeing as I am one of the few competent people when it comes to using the Unreal Engine at our university and I enjoy teaching people, I was looking forward to making use of the feedback we received the last time the workshop was held, just to find out that my 'team mate' (who originally also was in my team of the game I showed you above for 1.5 years) signed up to specifically do this alone, which the organization of the event (which is just some other students really) simply accepted without even informing me. I found out by accident, basically, and no one cares about this enough to do anything about it. It made me feel very rejected and ostracized not just by the guy who stole the workshop, but also by the representative of the very community that I tried to help out and teach. I can not guess as to why my previous team mate did this other than him asking very non-chalant for my source code of my own commercial project and then ditching me (I didn't comply with his wishes because of this) made him realize that he was being a dick - and rather than clearing things up, he'd just one up his previous foolery, because that's easier.

TL;DR
I'm salty af because I feel like I'm surrounded by people who don't share the passion for games themselves but rather the passion for glory and fame, obstructing people who actually want to get things done because it hurts their perception of them being the creme de la creme, which results in me not being able to follow my goals since game dev is primarily a team effort and the fake glorification of very average work is hindering my ability to find like minded individuals whom I can properly work and talk with.
Of course, there are exceptions to this and it's not like I'm 100% alone in my surroundings: it is frustrating nonetheless.

Thanks for reading, no matter if the full version or just the TL;DR.

The young people getting into the industry probably think nothing will go wrong and that their job will be secure once they attain it but that's not how the real world works. So unless you're really passionate about working on games and will admit to making mistakes and improving yourself, don't waste your time and others, I say.

To those looking for glory, fame, lots of followers etc., realize you're nothing special. You will be weeded out and forgotten about in time. The world has more than enough rockstars. Listen - actually listen - and be humble.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
TL;DR
I'm salty af because I feel like I'm surrounded by people who don't share the passion for games themselves but rather the passion for glory and fame, obstructing people who actually want to get things done because it hurts their perception of them being the creme de la creme, which results in me not being able to follow my goals since game dev is primarily a team effort and the fake glorification of very average work is hindering my ability to find like minded individuals whom I can properly work and talk with.
Of course, there are exceptions to this and it's not like I'm 100% alone in my surroundings: it is frustrating nonetheless.

Thanks for reading, no matter if the full version or just the TL;DR.
It does feel like games are devoid of passion because the people making games want to be "game developers", not necessarily to make the best games they can. They want the lifestyle and the potential accolades for their efforts. It is why so many games (especially indie games) are forgettable garbage.

Lucumo

So they are the Facebook generation which think they achieve stuff by putting no effort in it? "To support this cause, click "like". Additionally, they are content with pats on the back, similar to what a "like" is. Personally, I'm really not a fan of praise, unless it's actually warranted. Many times before, I have actually brushed it off because the results I got were too easy to achieve and/or I didn't really put any effort in it. It's not really wrong to have low expectations, at least at first, and being happy with climbing some lower barriers. The point is to raise those barriers, to increase those expectations, to grow. Not doing that and being happy with something subpar you spent a lot of time on...that shows a disconnect to reality, unless there are more special circumstances (like being pretty old) and it's strictly a personal project, done on the side.

Tesseract

Banned
keep doing good work dude, build your resume and eventually you'll stumble into people who want to build great games together without the superfluous garbage

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why is there no cute sexy hitler anime girl in your German game?:mad:

No but seriously could you work with people overseas? If you can't locally get help or find passionate people why not give the internet a shot? I'm pretty sure there are some people out there that share your views.

Herr Edgy

Why is there no cute sexy hitler anime girl in your German game?:mad:

No but seriously could you work with people overseas? If you can't locally get help or find passionate people why not give the internet a shot? I'm pretty sure there are some people out there that share your views.
I'll add it, don't worry!

Yes, I can and there is someone from the UK and someone from Croatia I enjoy working with. We contested in the most recent Epic Games Jam which went for 5 days with two additional people and although we did not win (it was rigged I'm telling you) we landed #1 on popularity of the 225 submissions for most of the time and even #5 on all of itch.io for about a week.
We were surprised by our relative success to the point that a couple small youtubers played our game, possibly due to horror being a genre that lends itself to it.

Here's the 'trailer' if you want to take a look:

The problem with people overseas is that it's simply different from being in a local community of people. It might be a problem I simply have to accept and forge my own way and simply not care that many of my local peers are simply incompatible with me, to the best of my ability.
Working together towards a commercial game with a team spread through different countries is difficult, even if I had the time right now, and it's even more difficult to find people who are a) skilled, b) dedicated and c) willing to be productive over trying to become a rockstar once more by taking center stage of the team, as well as d) have some social skills (which means not trash talking your team mate's work and being respectful... you'd think it's easy, but my experience says otherwise so far) in the first place.

I've had it happen in my old team that decisions I made with everyone's acceptance 3 months back were brought back to be discussed by someone in the team time and time again. While discussion is important, it's also important to be productive and when you spend your time only discussing things that were supposed to be a done deal you effectively just throw away work, or time that could be used more productively.

So they are the Facebook generation which think they achieve stuff by putting no effort in it? "To support this cause, click "like". Additionally, they are content with pats on the back, similar to what a "like" is. Personally, I'm really not a fan of praise, unless it's actually warranted. Many times before, I have actually brushed it off because the results I got were too easy to achieve and/or I didn't really put any effort in it. It's not really wrong to have low expectations, at least at first, and being happy with climbing some lower barriers. The point is to raise those barriers, to increase those expectations, to grow. Not doing that and being happy with something subpar you spent a lot of time on...that shows a disconnect to reality, unless there are more special circumstances (like being pretty old) and it's strictly a personal project, done on the side.
I don't want to write them off as just "only hungry for acknowledgement" - there are a couple people that I think have built some proper skills and continue to do so. There is also work put into pre-production that might not be visible in their games just yet: but overall, yes, my experience is that for some reason most of them simply stop putting in a lot of effort once they achieved a bit of perceived success, such as presenting their games in the business area at Gamescom at a collective booth: which is a great thing of course, but it shouldn't be the goal.
I agree with you as well, I consider myself one of the best developers with the Unreal Engine in my circles, yet I know that when I look at international teams and students that there is much, much, much more to be learned and that I'm still at the very beginning.

I'm not one to be humble about what I believe are my strengths, but at the same time I acknowledge that I'm far from where I'd like to be, and it's the lack of the latter around here that truly baffles, saddens and at times upsets me. "Yeah, sure, my work X might me good, but have you seen what those guys from the UK did?"
The games industry is highly competitive, technical and artistic, it's in a very unique spot. Why measure myself against some local mediocrity when I can look at countries around me that manage to produce much higher quality?

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Sorry, but this sounds a lot like some kind of (not so) stealth bragging thread.
Guess most people here would love to have your problems, OP.
I'm proud of my small-ish accomplishments, I'm not going to lie about that, but I just wanted to give some context about myself so readers would have an idea who this guy ranting actually is. There's a difference between me being a 12 yo kiddo complaining about his friends, an industry veteran talking about his toxic workplace or someone like me, a beginner who made some good babysteps who realizes he's still a beginner and would like to advance more than he can right now.

If it makes you feel better, my job doesn't pay well at all, but I'm alright with it since I'm still a student.

I don't need to feel "better".
It's just that I don't get what you are trying to convey here except what your accomplishments are.

That game dev is hard and people are not as enthusiastic as you are?

Well, tough titties.
Do any other job and experience the lack of enthusiasm and people doing their daily work for money, "fame", social standing or simply paying off the monthly alimony for their ex wifes and kids.

Even though I'm from Germany myself, I worked together with game developers from all over the world and I can assure you, it's not just a German thing. Had plenty people just disappearing from projects so many times that eventually I just gave up working together and started learning doing everything by myself.

I'm actually quite proud of German game developers these days because three of best games I played last year were all developed in Germany (Parkitect, CrossCode and Lords of the Fallen) and I'm really happy about that because previously all German game developers I knew just made mediocre games, basically in the way you described above.

When I tried to get into the professional games industry myself 11 years ago, I had the issue that it's simply not really paid well or at all. Like if you've studied computer science you have all kinds of companies wanting to employ you and because the demand is so high you will get paid really well too. Not if you go into game development. It's basically deciding for a life in poverty (maybe it's better now?). I think this may also be one of the reasons why many people are lacking the motivation to stick with a project (especially when there's no pay at all and you just get a share from the sales).

Also I think it's generally really hard for a talented game designer to rise in the ranks high enough to actually make a difference (in various countries). Like what's always in demand in the game industry are graphic experts and second place probably goes to programmers. But if you find your talent lies with game design, it's really hard to even get in the position where people listen to you and create the games you design.

It's kind of frustrating when you see all those games that could have been good with a few tweaks but apparently not a single person in the company noticed the major flaw that 99% of the players could tell one day after the full release already. It seems to be that they are either lacking game designers or simply don't listen to them properly.

I've seen this phenomenon too where developers think they are doing something great even though it's absolutely mediocre or simply too ambitious with the resources at hand to ever work out as planned.
For smaller teams or single developers, I sometimes feel a bit sorry for them. Like they work 3 years on a game, totally convinced it's amazing and then they release it and they don't even get past the payout threshold (the one that online stores set). Though I guess that's not always an issue with game design and often more about marketing.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

I don't need to feel "better".
It's just that I don't get what you are trying to convey here except what your accomplishments are.

That game dev is hard and people are not as enthusiastic as you are?

Well, tough titties.
Do any other job and experience the lack of enthusiasm and people doing their daily work for money, "fame", social standing or simply paying off the monthly alimony for their ex wifes and kids.
I see where you are coming from now. No, that wasn't my purpose. My purpose was, as someone who is more 'inside' the industry than most here, to give some insight into what at least some of the younger devs (the ones whose games some of us here will play in the future) here are like, from my perspective at least, and also to get this off my chest because it's been seriously bothering me and I have very few people who take an interest in these topics. Also, I'm not sure having your own work stolen by someone who is then celebrated (the workshop) for it and no one caring (which was the primary reason for me to make this thread) is something that is just a 'first world problem'.

Personally I'd love to interact more with people working simply paying off montly alimony because at least what they are doing is honest. I'd also take people with no enthusiams over people with this 'fake-ish' enthusiasm that I'm encountering.

EDIT:
Rya.Reisender Rya.Reisender
Thanks for your insights, much appreciated! I feel like it's important to differentiate between German companies (like Radical Fish Games, who made CrossCode: I've met the lead guy, he's a great dude!) and students setting out to do the impossible and then never getting to the point they'd need to be because they are content with where they are.
And yes, afaik, the Games industry (here especially) is not paid well at all still, which is also one of the major factors that are making me reconsider my future career.
I agree with your assessment of the game designer. They are victims of the current trends: how to be a visionary if no one believes in you? You have to have made popular games to have trust to create something new, and that requires you to go with what's popular first rather than creating something extraordinary first.
The very few people who managed to get an outstanding team of trusting and capable people that just believe in you personally, are exactly that I guess. And nowadays, it's even more difficult due to increase in development cost. No one's gonna trust you to spend a larger budget on your vision if you don't have a proven track record, understandably so. That's also the reason why AAA doesn't really experiment much anymore these days.

If you want, we can talk about our experiences. I'm sending you a DM with my discord tag.

Last edited:
Shigeru Miyamoto is a good example of a game developer always improving themselves. I know he gets a lot of flack for apparently holding younger developers back in recent years, but his attitude of always seeking out novelty is inspiring.

Be like Shigsy.

which is also one of the major factors that are making me reconsider my future career.
11 years ago, I ended up deciding to just get a well-paid job and do game development after work.

Unfortunately sitting at the computer and coding 16 hours every day (8 hours at work, 8 hours at home) had taken its toll and after I turned 30 my health problems became so great that I had to drop game development altogether. Now I only do it occassionally during vacation.

(And really, I still see myself more as a game designer rather than developer, it's hard for me to motivate myself to draw/code graphics, compose music or write dialogues.)

This is not an advice, just sharing my experience.

I am 44 years old (also german by the way), and I had been dreaming of working as a games coder for all of my youth.
I started working as a programmer like forever since. But most of the time in non games projects.
And the one thing I noticed my whole life in different sectors is, the more "fabulous" and "cool" a company is, the more you have to deal with egotistical assholes.

So I am working in a very down to earth place now, and on the side I keep doing my hobby, which is coding and designing games on old consoles and homecomputers, like the C64, Atari VCS, Vectrex and Amiga.

Best of both worlds. And there, I can be as enthusiastic as I want, without taking care about "how the industry is".

If you are so into this, why don't you go the Indie route anyway?

Herr Edgy

I am 44 years old (also german by the way), and I had been dreaming of working as a games coder for all of my youth.
I started working as a programmer like forever since. But most of the time in non games projects.
And the one thing I noticed my whole life in different sectors is, the more "fabulous" and "cool" a company is, the more you have to deal with egotistical assholes.

So I am working in a very down to earth place now, and on the side I keep doing my hobby, which is coding and designing games on old consoles and homecomputers, like the C64, Atari VCS, Vectrex and Amiga.

Best of both worlds. And there, I can be as enthusiastic as I want, without taking care about "how the industry is".

If you are so into this, why don't you go the Indie route anyway?
Yeah, I'm seeing where you are coming from when it comes to 'cool companies'. My current company is rather small and down to earth as well, it's pretty relaxing because as far as I can tell, there is no scheming going on to further one's career, simply because there isn't much to advance and everyone knows each other more or less. No whispering behind one's back.
That's pretty cool that you found a hobby in developing for old consoles. Mind sharing some stuff you did?

As for me going indie, I'm personally not very fond of small indie devs or triple A devs. One might have the creativity but not the budget, the other has the production value but doesn't offer much more than that. I'm a fan of 'AA' productions, where some budget obviously went into the game without compromising the creative aspects.

Without having played them, games like Elex and Greedfall are what I personally enjoy production-wise. I was thinking about going indie after my master's degree, as I do know very few people I'd enjoy working with (but it might be enough to start off), but currently work and studies are keeping me busy. Right now, I'm split between 'going into the games industry to gain more experience' 'going indie to do my own thing' and 'leaving the industry altogether'. In any case, I'm thinking of leaving Germany.

11 years ago, I ended up deciding to just get a well-paid job and do game development after work.

Unfortunately sitting at the computer and coding 16 hours every day (8 hours at work, 8 hours at home) had taken its toll and after I turned 30 my health problems became so great that I had to drop game development altogether. Now I only do it occassionally during vacation.

(And really, I still see myself more as a game designer rather than developer, it's hard for me to motivate myself to draw/code graphics, compose music or write dialogues.)

This is not an advice, just sharing my experience.
Yup, I have thought about that too, but as you said it's not quite feasible working a full time job and doing full time hobby projects. I think it would be possible to keep on working on your game project on the side until it's worth it to become independent and work on the game full time, closer to release, but if that's not a possibility or something you want then doing game dev seems to be out of the question in general.

Top Bottom