• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Dreary Discussion - Netflix 1/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Might be a result of the movie already adapting the first three books as well, so the Miserable Mill content feels much fresher for people who've seen the film.

The Miserable Mill also gave us the payoff of those curious scenes with the parents throughout the previous episodes, and the Baudelaires heading off
without telling Mr. Poe
made their situation seem much more dire than any of the previous episodes. Lucky Smells itself was hellish enough, adding Count Olaf's schemes to the mix just exacerbates the whole ordeal. Klaus's
hypnotism
also upped the danger ante, especially when
he nearly kills another worker.
And the climactic scene with the buzzsaw was one of the only ones where it wasn't just a matter of adults not believing the kids, and someone's life is immediately on the line with the grim prospect of
Klaus being the executioner
hanging overhead as well.

It added up pretty spectacularly, and made me extremely excited for when things get even worse in the next several books.

Mr. F

Banned
Digging the show so far, more than I thought I would. Warburton is fantastic, and NPH's Olaf is growing on me. Looking forward to getting out of the movie's territory so I can stop subconsciously comparing the two.

I'm kind of fuzzy on the books since it's been a while (like 15 years), but is Olaf's general plan
to keep chasing them/killing people until they come of age, out of spite or something? Legally speaking the first plan to marry VIolet seemed like the most 'sensical.'

Also I caught the ending song while looking around on YouTube for clips of the intro, it's lovely.

hydruxo

Digging the show so far, more than I thought I would. Warburton is fantastic, and NPH's Olaf is growing on me. Looking forward to getting out of the movie's territory so I can stop subconsciously comparing the two.

I'm kind of fuzzy on the books since it's been a while (like 15 years), but is Olaf's general plan
to keep chasing them/killing people until they come of age, out of spite or something? Legally speaking the first plan to marry VIolet seemed like the most 'sensical.'

Also I caught the ending song while looking around on YouTube for clips of the intro, it's lovely.

Yeah, that's essentially his plan for a good while, but things change around (book spoilers)
The Vile Village when Snicket changes up how the Baudelaires move on to the next location. It's not just the formula of Mr. Poe taking them to a new guardian / school / etc.anymore like the first several books.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

His plan is
to get them back under his care, probably so he can try marrying Violet again or bring them to some part of the world with more lax laws on the matter.

It was alright...

I'm possibly too old for it.
I've never seen the movie, or read the books.

Patrick Warburton was outstanding, the real highlight of the show.

I really liked everything in the series (apart from Klaus spanish voice actor in the dub being a noobie and sounding like fucking crap, I dont understand the netflix rule imposing the spanish dub the use of real children for the dub when they are boys, when they clearly use women for girls and sound amazing because they are real voice actresses).

I rewatched the movie after the series (bought the books until the elvator one at the time because I really liked the movie), and wow, I thought characters were more similar in the movie but I was completely wrong (i even thought Poe was also a black actor in the movie coughing all the time bwfore rewatching it, but he was not and he never even coughs).
So maybe Carrey's Olaf was a little bit better (with NPH really growing on me), and Aunt Josephine was also a little bit more interesting. The rest of the characters are MUCH better in the series. The kids, Mr Poe (freaking fantastic), Warburton as Snicket was PERFECT (probabñy my favourite thing in the whole series), Uncle Monty, Olaf's troupe (in the movie they have very little charisma compares to the series), and of course all the new additions.
And im not talking only about the acting but I think the characters are also visually more interesting (same as some of the scenery) and that ot actually works really well having the world not being tim burtonesque all the way, and only certaon parts of it being like that (i actually love that violet has colorful clothes in this series).
And that last song was beautiful.
Really cant wait for the secobd season. Im also going to read the books from the lumbermill again and try to get the rest I never read.

Helmholtz

It was alright...

I'm possibly too old for it.
I've never seen the movie, or read the books.

Patrick Warburton was outstanding, the real highlight of the show.
I had the same feeling. It's pretty kid-oriented stuff. I loved the subject matter as a kid because it seemed so dark, edgy, and witty. But as an adult...
I still enjoyed the show but I have to lower my expectations a bit knowing who it's more geared towards.

Fat4all

Banned
I know season 2 is already confirmed and gonna be made, but I really hope they do season 3.

That's where it the books go from different to outstandingly different for kids books, and considering the production of this season, there's no way they'd cop out on it.

Seventy70

I'm afraid to finish this show because I like it too much. The atmosphere is what I think really brings it all together. It's great to watch with a cup of coffee on a rainy day. 8 episodes aren't enough! :'(

They mentioned something in an interview about the how the kid actors are going to grow quickly, so I hope that means we'll get season 2 relatively soon.

I know season 2 is already confirmed and gonna be made, but I really hope they do season 3.

That's where it the books go from different to outstandingly different for kids books, and considering the production of this season, there's no way they'd cop out on it.

Handler is trying to convince Netflix to shoot Seasons 2 and 3 back to back. Season 2 will also be book 5-9. And book 7 is where the formula goes away, but considering how they've already changed things a bit on the show, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new plotline running through Season 2 as well.

Fat4all

Banned
Handler is trying to convince Netflix to shoot Seasons 2 and 3 back to back. Season 2 will also be book 5-9. And book 7 is where the formula goes away, but considering how they've already changed things a bit on the show, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new plotline running through Season 2 as well.

I really hope Season 1 does well enough overall for this plan to come through.

Getting as much of this original team on set for seasons 2 & 3 is ideal to me.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm sorry to say, this show is boring. Didn't make it through the first episode.

I don't know who decided on "the look" for the show but it feels cold and boring.

I really hope Season 1 does well enough overall for this plan to come through.

Getting as much of this original team on set for seasons 2 & 3 is ideal to me.
Seems like it's been doing really well, getting a lot of buzz. I'd be really surprised (and irritated) if it didn't get renewed. Like it's been said, seasons 2 and 3 should be filmed back to back as well.

Then again, the film did well enough that it should have launched a franchise, and Paramount completely threw it away over some behind-the-scenes drama. Annoying.

hydruxo

It'll get renewed for Season 2, and I'd imagine they'll let them finish out Season 3 as well. Netflix is good about letting shows finish out their full run, unless they're just utter disappointments or failures. There's a lot of positive word of mouth for ASOUE right now, and critically it did really well.

Daniel Handler mentioned on this podcast that Netflix has already paid himself and the writers to write S2 scripts, which he says they've already completed and turned in. In addition to that, Netflix commissioned a production crew in Vancouver to work on sets for S2, so that's happening right now. And lastly, Netflix sent Handler a cryptic email with ASOUE references that basically told him to hang tight and be patient.

So I'm sure Netflix is all for renewing the show, it's just a matter of gauging how the show has been doing since it released and how much money and resources they should allot for future seasons.

Quick

Banned
And lastly, Netflix sent Handler a cryptic email with ASOUE references that basically told him to hang tight and be patient.

I can only picture this with Handler reading the email, then looking at a camera filming it with a funny face, and the words "VFD'd" on the screen like he got punk'd.

I'm three minutes into this show
And wow I'm hooked.

I never read the books or seen the Jim Carrey

The narration is great, one moment dude is in a suit and next thing you know he dressed like an old school life guard. I hope he is present through out the while series narrating.

Everything looks like miniatures, I don't know I'll probably be up to 3 in the morning watching this.

hydruxo

I'm three minutes into this show
And wow I'm hooked.

I never read the books or seen the Jim Carrey

The narration is great, one moment dude is in a suit and next thing you know he dressed like an old school life guard. I hope he is present through out the while series narrating.

Everything looks like miniatures, I don't know I'll probably be up to 3 in the morning watching this.

Book & show spoilers:
he definitely is present all the way through, and plays more of a role in the story than you'd probably expect too :)

Won

Finished this a few days ago and it's probably because I watched too much comic book crap, but this felt several levels above of what I would expect from Netflix at the moment.

The whole production oozes love and care I rarely see on TV. The casting is on point, despite some doubts at first. (But then again I never read the books) and I really hope they do the whole filming season 2 & 3 in one go, because, damn that baby sure delivered one hell of a performance. (and some wonky ass CGI)

Only thing I didn't like were the parents. They just didn't seem to fit in.

Finished this a few days ago and it's probably because I watched too much comic book crap, but this felt several levels above of what I would expect from Netflix at the moment.

The whole production oozes love and care I rarely see on TV. The casting is on point, despite some doubts at first. (But then again I never read the books) and I really hope they do the whole filming season 2 & 3 in one go, because, damn that baby sure delivered one hell of a performance. (and some wonky ass CGI)

Only thing I didn't like were the parents. They just didn't seem to fit in.
The parent subplot wasn't present in the books.

And was really only
a bait-and-switch gut punch to people who had read them; the show sets them up to be the Baudelaire parents on the run, but they're actually the Quagmire parents, who apparently also die in a house fire along with one of their sons. The two children on the other side of the bench at the school are the surviving Quagmires.

bosseye

Half enjoyed the first episode. Visually very nice, narrator (Joe!) was good. Not really feeling NPH as Olaf though. Probably because all I can see is Jim Carey doing it better in the film.

Fbh

Watched this over the past week.

As someone who hasn't read the book nor seen the movie, I really enjoyed it.
Really enjoyed the crazy and weird nature of it, which combined with the high production values gives it a really strong Wes Anderson vibe that I really like.
So many unique an fun characters, creative scenarios and locations and even a bit of a mystery to keep you engaged.

Again, not familiar with the source material but I found NPH to be pretty ok as Olaf. Though I guess the great makeup really helps to sell the character just as much as his performance.
The kids are also a bit hit and miss but for child actors they do a pretty good job.

Everyone else is great. The guy playing ms Poe is great as is Patrick Warburton

fenners

Spoiler question about the very end of the TV series:

The photo in the boarding school that gets zoomed close to - it's clearly a young Count Olaf & other people. Is the one closest to him Lemony Snicket or the Quagmire Dad? My kids & I have been arguing over it ;)

hydruxo

The photo in the boarding school that gets zoomed close to - it's clearly a young Count Olaf & other people. Is the one closest to him Lemony Snicket or the Quagmire Dad? My kids & I have been arguing over it ;)

That's Lemony. He has on the same Prufrock Prep blazer during the ending song too.

Its
Snicket

Helmholtz

I'm only like a minute in but Patrick Wharburton and the obvious CGI makes it so weird.
He's good once you get used to him, but I have to admit I always picture Lemony Snicket as a mysterious british dude. I remember in the books the author purposely never showed his face and had him shrouded in mystery. That probably wouldn't play as well for the show though.

He's good once you get used to him, but I have to admit I always picture Lemony Snicket as a mysterious british dude. I remember in the books the author purposely never showed his face and had him shrouded in mystery. That probably wouldn't play as well for the show though.
Probably doesn't help that the movie portrayed him as such.

I don't necessarily prefer one way or the other, but given the direction they're going with the Netflix series by playing up the VFD from the beginning (and Snicket plays a huge part in that storyline), I can see why they did it.

I actually watched the entire show despite not enjoying it much. It was honestly too zany for my liking. I was hoping for some more black humor, and similar to a show like Twin Peaks, actually being able to portray some of the more serious moments with a different tone than the established humor. It's just jarring for the deaths and serious subject matter to be treated so lightly. And even if this is more geared towards kids, so were the books and they didn't have trouble making the unfortunate moments seem horrible. I remember some illustrations being genuinely creepy.

Also the overuse of CGI and green screen was just distracting and took away the charm it could have had.

Makai

Yeah, it's mostly that I know the actor and his voice is very distinctive, so it's tough to imagine him as anything else.

This series is amazing.

Only two episodes left for me and the gf to watch. We're trying to enjoy the series a little longer!

Anyone here good with Avatars? Could someone make me a gaf avatar sized Count Olaf avatar based on his pic used in the opening of the episodes?

This is the one

mantidor

No matter how good the CGI can be, there is no way a baby sculpting a rock with her teeth can't be seen as jarring an odd. I think the CGI is fine.

So do we still not have official word that Season 2 is opening?

Like, not assumed like many think it will be, but actual word from Netflix?

longdi

Banned
Popping into this thread to say I kept getting this ads whenever i start a YouTube video, dun trust this face... anonying af!

hydruxo

So do we still not have official word that Season 2 is opening?

Like, not assumed like many think it will be, but actual word from Netflix?

Not yet, but it took Netflix a month and a half before the announced they were renewing Stranger Things after it came out (even though behind the scenes they had already renewed it quietly). It's basically a given but I think Netflix likes to let things settle so they can review the ratings / reception.

Not yet, but it took Netflix a month and a half before the announced they were renewing Stranger Things after it came out (even though behind the scenes they had already renewed it quietly). It's basically a given but I think Netflix likes to let things settle so they can review the ratings / reception.

Sounds good. Really enjoying the show. :)

taoofjord

Finished the first season. Mixed feelings but looking forward to season 2. The actors are all great. The kids, NPH, and Waburton are all outstanding. Production is really enjoyable, I loved the sets (especially the reptile room).

The downside for me is the
formula. It really robs the show of any weight. I found myself enjoying the first part of each two parter while the concluding part usually disappointed and was mostly full of unfulfilling answers, if any, and some clumsy action or a frustrating climax where the show pushes whimsy too much over reason.

That's why I'm looking forward to season 2 when things supposedly change.

Question for the book readers. Is there a satisfying arc and conclusion to the series?

Depends on what would be satisfying for you.
If you want answers, then no it will not be satisfying. The series is not about tieing things in a nice little bow. But if you want to see characters learning tough lessons the hardest way possible, and changing and becoming stronger people, then you should be satisfied. There are answers to be had for a lot of the mysteries, but they are often subtle and oblique.

Razmos

The twist at the end of episode 7 killed me. Literally jaw agape. I really felt the despair and hopelessness. It was really well done.
Specifically:
"Mother and Father"

MarionCB

Just finished the whole season and I really enjoyed it. The music in particular was excellent; I love the opening theme and in the final episode
the ending song is so achingly bittersweet, it's beautiful. I can't stop singing bits of it. The fake out with the parents was also amazing. Some wonderful high-level trolling there from Handler et al; I thought they'd ruined part of the story by inserting alive Baudelaire parents but they didn't flinch.

Roll on Seasons 2 and 3. Do you think they'll release this show on bluray? Or is that something Netflix doesn't do?

hydruxo

Just finished the whole season and I really enjoyed it. The music in particular was excellent; I love the opening theme and in the final episode
the ending song is so achingly bittersweet, it's beautiful. I can't stop singing bits of it. The fake out with the parents was also amazing. Some wonderful high-level trolling there from Handler et al; I thought they'd ruined part of the story by inserting alive Baudelaire parents but they didn't flinch.

Roll on Seasons 2 and 3. Do you think they'll release this show on bluray? Or is that something Netflix doesn't do?

Yeah I'm sure it'll come out on bluray at some point. Netflix takes a while to put their shows out on bluray because they want those subscribers while the show is still hot.

Quick

Banned
I ran through episodes 5-7 yesterday, and the ending to episode 7 is a fucking downer.

LEMONY SNICKET WARNED ME AND I DIDN'T LISTEN.

catbird

Neo Member
Watching with my daughter, just finished episode 5 and really enjoying it. Never read the books, so I might read them along with her after we watch the series.

The marriage plot creeped me out way too much and I had to take a break, otherwise we would probably be done the series by now.

We love Uncle Monty, though!!!

Lo_Fi

Just finished this, and overall I liked it quite a bit.

One question though - what time period is it supposed to be set in? A lot of the clothing/set design makes it seem like it's not modern times, yet they bring up current technology here and there. That stuff just seemed out of place. Are they just going for an "It Follows" type thing where they purposefully have a mix of time periods?

Edit: Oh, one other general question, how much of Sunny was CG? It seemed like there was a weird CG-ness to her even when you could tell that it was the real baby.

Didn't read the books, but it's picking up. I thought episode 1 was awful. Felt like an awkward derivative of Hitchhiker's guide.

Getting better (on Ep 3 atm), but there's still some eh parts. Mostly "Oh, you don't know what ____ means?" every five minutes. I know it's a children's book and it's in the service to expand vocabulary, but it's so forced. It's like, two steps away from looking at the camera and asking where Blue's Clue is.

The baby is also the worst.

The books were written in a way that made it seem that every adult was 1) an idiot, and 2) extremely condescending. I think they captured that in the show pretty well. It's also just a smart trick to make the story seem as if you're seeing it from the perspective of the kids.

I would agree that they did the definition thing too much in the show, but that's where it came from.

I enjoyed it for the most part but like you I found the pacing too slow. Felt like it needed tighter editing. I think they could have easily condensed the eight episodes into six. Some scenes just overstayed their welcome.

Weird, I felt like it was maybe even a little too fast. When reading the books I felt like each location lasted a while. In the show it felt like they were in each area for only a day or two (which at least Count Olaf addresses with his "this year..I mean week...I mean season" gag).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom