• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Dreary Discussion - Netflix 1/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, I never read any book past the 13th, one thing I always really liked about them is you never really knew what happened to them as a lot of things are left unanswered.

The Beatrice Letters and the Unauthorized Autobiogtaphy are both essential reads as far as Im concerned. I believe The UA came out after book 8 and The BL came out after Penultimate Peril. They are similar to The Secret History of Twin Peaks as they are epistolary novels.

And All The Wrong Questions is also a great series. Hope they adapt it.

zeemumu

The Beatrice Letters and the Unauthorized Autobiogtaphy are both essential reads as far as Im concerned. I believe The UA came out after book 8 and The BL came out after Penultimate Peril. They are similar to The Secret History of Twin Peaks as they are epistolary novels.

And All The Wrong Questions is also a great series. Hope they adapt it.

The Unauthorized Autobiography left more questions than it did answers.

I saw the movie but I don't really remember much about it, and haven't read the books. I really enjoyed this season and am looking forward to the next one. It felt pretty clever and had great production values for a tv series.

Vashetti

Banned
What's really impressive about the movie that a lot of people seem to miss, is that every single shot is filmed in a studio, nothing is outdoors.

Every background is painted and it looks gorgeous for it.

I'm enjoying it, but nph's Olaf is pretty disappointing. The narrater is amazing though. But, I also can't stand how realistic some of the sets look. Everything is supposed to look weird and whimsicle, but its more like 75%

hydruxo

I'm enjoying it, but nph's Olaf is pretty disappointing. The narrater is amazing though. But, I also can't stand how realistic some of the sets look. Everything is supposed to look weird and whimsicle, but its more like 75%

Monty's house / grounds looked fucking amazing on the show. It was one of those moments where I was like damn I actually want to go there.

Irminsul

Just finished the season. I've never seen the movie and didn't read the books and I loved the series. Which is surprising given that it stars not one but three kids, but the actors were actually good. Overall, the series was really funny and dark (and darkly funny).

The constant breaking of the fourth wall was perfect ("Streaming television", "Nothing bad has ever come from a real estate agent!", "Haven't you learnt anything this year? ... Week? ... Season?"), but I think I laughed the most at the "La petite mort" line. I wonder whether that gets explained to children watching it... (I mean that the joke isn't solely that she isn't speaking Spanish)

I also fell for the twist just up to right before it happened. I should've known better even before that, though.

It felt a bit formulaic when I watched the third book episodes, but if I read correctly, that gets better. Can't wait for the second season.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
One big change from the books that I loved in the show is that the Baudelaire's choosing to run away at the end of The Wide Window. I'm re-reading the books and it's just so annoying that they always say that they can't run away.

I also get real annoyed that they don't just start slapping bitches.

zeemumu

One big change from the books that I loved in the show is that the Baudelaire's choosing to run away at the end of The Wide Window. I'm re-reading the books and it's just so annoying that they always say that they can't run away.

I also get real annoyed that they don't just start slapping bitches.

To be fair it makes a lot more sense than Mr. Poe voluntarily sending 2 children and a baby to live in a damn lumber mill. He may be an incompetent neglectful ass but that was a little beyond comprehension.

shira

It's good, but every Olaf scene I think how Jim Carrey is 999x better than NPH. NPH is evil, but JC just owns the screen

CazTGG

Just finished the season. I've never seen the movie and didn't read the books and I loved the series. Which is surprising given that it stars not one but three kids, but the actors were actually good. Overall, the series was really funny and dark (and darkly funny).

The constant breaking of the fourth wall was perfect ("Streaming television", "Nothing bad has ever come from a real estate agent!", "Haven't you learnt anything this year? ... Week? ... Season?"), but I think I laughed the most at the "La petite mort" line. I wonder whether that gets explained to children watching it... (I mean that the joke isn't solely that she isn't speaking Spanish)

I also fell for the twist just up to right before it happened. I should've known better even before that, though.

It felt a bit formulaic when I watched the third book episodes, but if I read correctly, that gets better. Can't wait for the second season.

The main issue with the first few books is that they very formulaic: The orphans think they've finally gotten away from Count Olaf only for him to turn up with no one believing the Baudelaires that he's Olaf in disguise. The fifth book is where things start to get shaken up with the introduction of the Quagmire triplets (who believe them when they mention
their new teacher
is Count Olaf) along with the introduction of the VFD. Given that the show
already features the triplets, albeit in more of a cameo than playing an important role and has shown members of the VFD in action like Jacqueline
, they've done a fair amount of work incorporating elements from future books in the earlier portion of the story, to an effective degree I might add given the fantastic payoff for
the fake out involving parents reuniting with their kids

Helmholtz

It's good, but every Olaf scene I think how Jim Carrey is 999x better than NPH. NPH is evil, but JC just owns the screen
Yeah, NPH is pretty weak. I've only watched three episodes but his performance is kind of all over the place. There were times in episode 3 where he really just seemed like typical NPH to me and not Olaf at all.

hydruxo

Interesting interview with Daniel Handler from Paste Magazine

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/01/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-author-daniel-handl.html

Paste: Let's talk about the kids. Playing the Baudelaires is such a difficult balance of perseverance and determination with utter despair. What did you see in Malina Weissman and Louis Hynes that you felt encapsulated the essence of Violet and Klaus?

Handler: It's more like what I didn't see. What I didn't see was a kind of cheerfulness and chirpiness that comes from a lot of child performers. That was really exciting to see, that they could deliver these long, literate, deadpan lines in a certain way.

Paste: They never really look happy throughout the series.

Handler: That was actually something of a challenge the first couple of days! I was looking at the dailies and both the actors were smiling a lot, I think they were just super excited to have these roles and be on the show. Barry Sonnenfeld had to talk to them really gently and say, ”Everyone's really excited you're here, but you have to stop grinning, you're in miserable circumstances."

Also he confirms that they're hoping to film S2 & S3 back to back if Netflix greenlights it

Paste: I know you're neck-deep in writing Season Two right now. Kids age up fairly quickly, particularly babies. Has there been any discussion about expediting production on the second or even third seasons so you can capture the kids in this time and physical state?

Handler: It's definitely a big concern of ours. Our dream is to film Season Three right after Season Two, we're still working that out with Netflix. We couldn't have filmed all three seasons in a row... but we're hoping that with the reception the show has been getting, we can film those seasons so that at the end of the series, the Baudelaires aren't in their 30s and we're wondering why they're still worried about their guardians.

hydruxo

Mr. Poe eating chowder.

❤

tumblr_ojuzbigTe91vfg7u3o6_r1_540.gif

SalvaPot

Just done, enjoyed it a lot, great casting. I do felt that watching the movies takes away a bit of the experience since you have an idea of what is going to happen.

Also NPH did fine on the role, its certainly different than Jim Carrey, since it was a more reserved portrayal of count Olaf, but did went weird when it was required. Looking forward to Season 2.

Dalek

Why is Sunnys head CG is so many scenes? It's distracting.

It seems it's always when Violet is carrying her.

tr00per

Just gonna spoiler tag the whole post. These are my impressions/thoughts as an OBSESSED reader of the books

So today I finished the final episode.

Have to say, the episodes got successively better. The first book episodes were kind of painful to get through. I would have watched them either way.

-pros

Giving the books more screen time to breathe

My favorite things about this production is all of the small nods to the books. The hidden visuals and text placed in the scenes and some of the dialogue "if there's nothing up there, what was that noise?"

Hints and teases of VFD all over the place.

Warburton is an EXCELLENT Snicket. I actually love that he is as frequent as he is, since the narration of the books is a big part of their charm.

I didn't like it at first, but the opening sequence and song are pretty good. I like how they change the one stanza each episode and add in Olaf's disguise character in the second half episodes

The set design overall is fantastic, I don't mean the wide shots (actually a con) , I'm referring to the places where full scenes take place. The reptile room, Olaf's house, etc.

Outside of the first book (I feel like they overdid it in some parts) NPH does make a good Olaf. It's a shame that he has to have the majority comic relief but he plays the evil bad actor well.

Daniel handler cameos

-cons

The 4th wall jokes are hit or miss but for some reason the fact that they're there kind of bother me. I know it's not a highly engaging thriller but they just seem out of place. Perhaps I'm just fanboying but I have to mention it.

Some shots REALLY seemed low budget with obvious backdrops/props/etc

Some of the casting was strange to me

I can't put my finger on it but for some reason the visual language in the first two books was very jarring. Maybe they tried to push the contrast between Olaf and everything else too hard?

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the poor CG can get distracting at times

I'm still trying to figure it out, but the theater troupe bugs me. Perhaps they all come off as bumbling idiots with the same personality (outside of the white faced women, maybe) . I think part of the reason I liked the 4th book episodes is because they weren't as prominent. Iirc they are in disguise for the rest of the books so that might help.

*miscellaneous book fan armchair director gripes*

Stream of misc thoughts:

The parents tease turning out to be the Quagmires. I'm glad they went that route, it reaffirmed how bleak the baudelaire's situation is. I was afraid they retconned that for a minute.

It definitely feels like Handler had more input into these. I feel like maybe he's using this as an opportunity to tweak the books from his gifted perspective of having finished them, but I don't mind too much

When the singing started at the end of ep8 I was thinking "oh no, you were doing so well..." but it was actually very well done.

There were many scenes that had me saying "what are you doing? Why don't you do ____" but to be fair the books kind of played on that idea - particularly with all of the adults being so caught up with themselves and undermining the children.

And does anyone else think that Malina Weissman looks A LOT like Emily Browning (the Violet in the movie)?

The baby playing sunny is effing adorable.

If they maintain the quality of the miserable mill then I am AMPED for the next 4. The series really takes off after 7. However, the books also get thicker as they go along, so if they stick with this structure I hope they don't suffer. Imo 10-13 should be three episodes if possible

Speaking of, how likely is it that it will be renewed? They'll have to do season 2 quickly to keep the cast appearing of the same age

Edit :

Okay I wasn't the only one who saw the weissman / browning connection

First season is 8 episodes (2 eps per book; first season consists of books 1-4)
Season two will be 10 episodes (books 5-9) according to Daniel Handler
So season three would be books 10-13

Perfect!!

Interesting interview with Daniel Handler from Paste Magazine

Thanks for posting I'm excited!

Emily Browning was/is bae.

I think that was really the big appeal of the movie for me at the time. She's older than me, so I can say this without being creepy.
Right?

Haha naww I got you, fam.

Having recently finished the series, I can safely say that this is an amazingly acute adaptation with astonishing timing, far moreso than the movie upon reflection.

This poster gets it.

Reading through this thread gave me a little more hype and hope. Bring it.

Also I lost track of the other series. I didn't know what the subject matter was. Now I'll have to get it.

mantidor

I'm still trying to figure it out, but the theater troupe bugs me. Perhaps they all come off as bumbling idiots with the same personality (outside of the white faced women, maybe) . I think part of the reason I liked the 4th book episodes is because they weren't as prominent. Iirc they are in disguise for the rest of the books so that might help.

They are my favorite part so I don't get you, they definitely have very distinct personalities, just watch the dinner scene and how they all react very different to what is going on.

Santiako

So I watched this and absolutely loved it and might want more. Are the books too kid oriented or are they a fine read for a grown ass man?

zeemumu

So I watched this and absolutely loved it and might want more. Are the books too kid oriented or are they a fine read for a grown ass man?

Nah they're in that vein of kids' books that Harry Potter books are in. They were made for kids but you can read them as an adult.

Santiako

What was the point of the parents storyline?

I think it was both to introduce the other kids (which I assume will have a big role next season) and to drive home how alone the Baudelaires are. Puddy tells you constantly that nothing ever goes well for them and to stop watching, yet you have the hope that the parents are alive and about to reunite with the kids, only to go exactly like he told you it would go, terribly for the poor Baudelaires.

They are my favorite part so I don't get you, they definitely have very distinct personalities, just watch the dinner scene and how they all react very different to what is going on.

I also hate them. Way too hammy, especially hook hands. Can't consider him threatening at all when he looks like a banana peel is under his feet every scene.

Finished ep 6 and 7 last night.

Episodes 5 and 6 are really bad. Poorly/weirdly edited, jokes and scenes last way too long, and Aunt Josephine's actor isn't great. She simultaneously under acted some bits and over acted others, lol.

7 was immediately a sharp uptick in quality tho, back in line with the other episodes.

Helmholtz

Finished ep 6 and 7 last night.

Episodes 5 and 6 are really bad. Poorly/weirdly edited, jokes and scenes last way too long, and Aunt Josephine's actor isn't great. She simultaneously under acted some bits and over acted others, lol.

7 was immediately a sharp uptick in quality tho, back in line with the other episodes.
Funny.. 5 and 6 might be my favorite episodes so far. I'm on 7 now though.
I found episodes 2 through 4 kind of boring.

hydruxo

It's funny how Miserable Mill is pretty widely considered the most boring of the books, yet the MM episodes were probably the best of the whole season. I guess some things just translate better to screen. The casting for Sir, Charles, and Dr. Orwell was fantastic.

mcrommert

Banned
Probably been answered but i can't find it...
as someone who only read the first six books...what is with the parents showing up constantly and woman who is trying to help out the children...i know the parentss are still alive but where does this stuff come from?

zeemumu

Probably been answered but i can't find it...
as someone who only read the first six books...what is with the parents showing up constantly and woman who is trying to help out the children...i know the parentss are still alive but where does this stuff come from?

The Quagmire's parents didn't really have a role in the books. That seems added in for the show. And it's assumed that the woman is either a gender-swapped character from the 7th book or a character who shows up in the 12th book.

tr00per

I suppose it's partially this

I also hate them. Way too hammy, especially hook hands. Can't consider him threatening at all when he looks like a banana peel is under his feet every scene.

I know that it's targeted to a younger demo and that the source material is farfetched (satirical even) at times but they just come off as kind of a joke. Like cartoon villains. Maybe I'm too cynical and projecting my own vision of them, but I preferred the hook handed man in, say, ep7 and 8 to ep2. I know they aren't evil geniuses or anything but they should be somewhat threatening. It's also possible that I was annoyed by other things and that they just were an easy target. I'm still trying to put my finger on it. It might require a rewatch

mantidor

I suppose it's partially this

I know that it's targeted to a younger demo and that the source material is farfetched (satirical even) at times but they just come off as kind of a joke. Like cartoon villains. Maybe I'm too cynical and projecting my own vision of them, but I preferred the hook handed man in, say, ep7 and 8 to ep2. I know they aren't evil geniuses or anything but they should be somewhat threatening. It's also possible that I was annoyed by other things and that they just were an easy target. I'm still trying to put my finger on it. It might require a rewatch

I get this but that is exactly why I love them, if they were some sort of villain masterminds it would just be too much, the protagonists have already every single card against them to now add a competent supervillain group.

And the twins are already sinister enough for me while cracking me up from time to time, they reminded me a lot of the octopus ladies in City of lost children.

It's funny how Miserable Mill is pretty widely considered the most boring of the books, yet the MM episodes were probably the best of the whole season. I guess some things just translate better to screen. The casting for Sir, Charles, and Dr. Orwell was fantastic.
Might be a result of the movie already adapting the first three books as well, so the Miserable Mill content feels much fresher for people who've seen the film.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on episode 8 and I love this so much. The title song variations are amazing, the effects are great, the surreal style is fantastic. Wow.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was a huge mistake to make NPH *look* just like Carey's Olaf. It's an unflattering comparison every time.

It's a weird show. I'm on episode 8. Individual performances or sets or exchanges are decent, but the tone is still all freaking over the place.

zeemumu

Having rewatched Jim Carrey Olaf's scenes, I think he was a more entertaining Count Olaf but not necessarily a better one. Olaf's troupe is a little of the same way. I enjoy them more in the Netflix series than the film but it's mostly because they're more entertaining in the series, while they don't get to do much in the movie. NPH does the menacing side of Count Olaf better while Carrey does the hammy actor side better.

Still love this line though

"Puttanesca."

"What did you call me?"

Helmholtz

I think it was a huge mistake to make NPH *look* just like Carey's Olaf. It's an unflattering comparison every time.

It's a weird show. I'm on episode 8. Individual performances or sets or exchanges are decent, but the tone is still all freaking over the place.
That's kind of how he's supposed to look, though. The books had illustrations on the cover.

tr00per

I get this but that is exactly why I love them, if they were some sort of villain masterminds it would just be too much, the protagonists have already every single card against them to now add a competent supervillain group.

And the twins are already sinister enough for me while cracking me up from time to time, they reminded me a lot of the octopus ladies in City of lost children.

Fair enough. The children's strength is that they are always able to outsmart their enemies though. Either way I am still looking forward to the next two seasons. And I have to look into the prequel series as well. Damn you snicket taking all my time and money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom