• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Dreary Discussion - Netflix 1/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opto

Banned
Nope, his Sham costume is seen in the same shot

That's a mirror reflecting the sham disguise.

----

You know, this series and the Harry Potter series do a great job teaching kids a lesson: Adults can't be trusted to do the right thing. You got to do it.

C4Lukins

I really love a lot about the series, but the repetition is almost a killer for me. The adults never listening, the constant walls put up at each instance where the kids are about to learn something important, the kids simply not doing what is in their best interest.

It is very Saturday morning cartoon where you relive the same scenario every episode, only in a different location, and with better writing.

Some positives though. It looks great for the most part, and the acting is great. Neil Patrick Harris in particular does an excellent job of living up to the amazing work of Jim Carey, but making it his own with his different spins on the Counts characters. It is genuinely funny often, and adequately dark to boot. I never read the books, but I hope at some point the story becomes less formulaic.

Guess Who

Banned
I never read the books, but I hope at some point the story becomes less formulaic.

(Light spoilers about story structure)
The books abandon the "new guardian, new Olaf disguise, rinse and repeat" structure at what will be about halfway through season two of the show.

Opto

Banned
I really love a lot about the series, but the repetition is almost a killer for me. The adults never listening, the constant walls put up at each instance where the kids are about to learn something important, the kids simply not doing what is in their best interest.

It is very Saturday morning cartoon where you relive the same scenario every episode, only in a different location, and with better writing.

Some positives though. It looks great for the most part, and the acting is great. Neil Patrick Harris in particular does an excellent job of living up to the amazing work of Jim Carey, but making it his own with his different spins on the Counts characters. It is genuinely funny often, and adequately dark to boot. I never read the books, but I hope at some point the story becomes less formulaic.
The series does go beyond its formula around book 6. and they get more involved in the mysterious happenings that occur around them

mantidor

Finished, was awesome.

The movie did a great job of
the house collapsing, all the things Josephine was scared of all happened, it was great

This is certainly the only part I was disappointed, the movie was so much better.

I really never got the hate for the movie, besides the fact it was ever made at all, I mean I get that cramming all these books into one movie was going to be a mess, but the end result wasnt as awful as people often say, Carrey was a very competent Olaf, the children were perfect, the end credits were amazing. The change in structure and story was odd but it made it at least a self contained movie, it's almost like they knew they weren't going to get a sequel :p

C4Lukins

The series does go beyond its formula around book 6. and they get more involved in the mysterious happenings that occur around them

Good to hear. I really think this could become a great show. So much going for it from the acting to the writing to cinematography. It just needs to get away from that Team Rocket/ Dr. Claw storytelling element.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Wow! The kid who plays Klaus is terrible.

??

What makes him any worse than Violet? They both seemed fine to me, anyway. Peculiar way of speaking some times, but a better adaptation than the film siblings.

Hell, Klaus in the movie didn't even wear his glasses for 99% of the run time. Good luck making the Miserable Mill plot work.

Only a few episodes in, but I will have to say so far
Monty dying was the saddest part
for me.
Monty just seemed like sucha good guardian for the kids, and where they should've been especially after Count Olaf
. I did read most of the novels years ago, so it wasn't unexpected! It just a dreadful moment in a dreadful series. :<

The movie did a great job of
the house collapsing, all the things Josephine was scared of all happened, it was great
That was one of the main things I didn't like about the movie.
It removed the fact that Aunt Josephine was scared about everything for no reason. By having those things actually happen it validated her cowardice. It did look more impressive however but from a character standpoint I didn't like it.

KiN0

I binged this over the weekend while I was sick in bed. From what I can remember, I liked it; but claus and violet are a little weird in this adaptation. Their relationship gave me flowers in the attic vibes.

Creaking

I don't suppose the show's music can be found anywhere yet. I've got that freaky whistling tune from the Miserable Mill stuck in my head.

pashmilla

Banned
Honestly I don't get the hate for the movie. I'm a huge fan of the books and yes, it could have been more faithful but it was fun, touching and stylish. I almost feel like I like it better than the series.

Creaking

Honestly I don't get the hate for the movie. I'm a huge fan of the books and yes, it could have been more faithful but it was fun, touching and stylish. I almost feel like I like it better than the series.

Mostly I just felt like it was a big missed opportunity. For years and years I was worried that it was the only adaptation we'd ever get. Just the first three books and that's it. And I didn't like what they did with Klaus's appearance.

cbdc5338795cc213772ada50f1dbd068.jpg
-->
wwWrOM.jpg

Plus Jim Carrey's Olaf was entertaining, but failed to capture the villainous, vile essence of the character. Whenever he actually killed someone, it seemed kind of out-of-character for how he was being portrayed.

Finished this yesterday.

Haven't seen the movie or read the books. I liked it, the narration aspect was novel and worked great. NPH as Olaf is great and you appreciate it more as you watch more episodes.

Looking forward to next season.

mantidor

That was one of the main things I didn't like about the movie.
It removed the fact that Aunt Josephine was scared about everything for no reason. By having those things actually happen it validated her cowardice. It did look more impressive however but from a character standpoint I didn't like it.

Well she was still a coward in the movie, but everything happening added that really somber tone that this world is seriously all out to get these children, I guess the series is kind of worst though, because it gives you a glimmer of hope and then squashes it.

Also Olaf's troupe steals the show, the twins and the youngest one just crack me up while still being very sinister, specially the twins.

Lifeline

Finished the series and found it enjoyable enough. Having read some of the books and watching the movie as a kid, I didn't think it did anything new or different from those. So it did feel repetitive at times. I do remember enjoying the movie a lot more than i did the show, but I was too young back then and liked everything.

I think Sneaky Pete was the better original show of the month, so far atleast.

hydruxo

Wow! The kid who plays Klaus is terrible.

Nah, Louis Hynes was pretty good. He was exactly like how I envisioned Klaus while reading the books. Book Klaus makes very rash decisions, and he really captured that with show Klaus.

I think the way that Klaus and Violet talk in the show is more of a stylistic choice by the showrunners than it is any poor acting by the kids. Pretty much everyone on the show speaks in a certain cadence that helps make the tone the way it is, rather than how real life conversations go. The Baudelaires are very matter of fact with how they speak in the books anyways.

Also, I feel like people have extremely high expectations for child actors after Stranger Things, but the reality is, it's really hard to find good child actors. All things considered Louis and Malina did a very solid job and I'm sure they'll continue to improve.

mantidor

My only issue with the kids is that they are kind of... old? I mean they are perfectly casted for this season but if there is a second season and it only begins filming later this year it can mean they can grow up a lot, it was a major problem the movie had, at the end Klaus was bigger than Violet.

zeemumu

My only issue with the kids is that they are kind of... old? I mean they are perfectly casted for this season but if there is a second season and it only begins filming later this year it can mean they can grow up a lot, it was a major problem the movie had, at the end Klaus was bigger than Violet.

Violet's actress is younger than Violet

jett

D-Member

Yes, it's kinda repetitive. And the characters are infuriatingly dumb. I think that's what annoys me the most. Made it to episode four, I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it or not. I don't remember the last time I really liked a Netflix original project. I guess I'm an outlier.

Yes, it's kinda repetitive. And the characters are infuriatingly dumb. I think that's what annoys me the most. Made it to episode four, I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it or not. I don't remember the last time I really liked a Netflix original project. I guess I'm an outlier.
I understand that characters like Mr. Poe are stupid on purpose. But (Spoilers for Reptile Room and beyond)
making Aunt Josephine a clueless trainwreck with the Olaf disguise until he literally spelled it out for her while Uncle Monty pointed it out almost instantaneously? There would be more remorse for a character if their character wasn't completely stupid, I think. That's probably why I found Uncle Monty's death so compelling and disastrous, he was actually competent.

Vashetti

Banned
I understand that characters like Mr. Poe are stupid on purpose. But (Spoilers for Reptile Room and beyond)
making Aunt Josephine a clueless trainwreck with the Olaf disguise until he literally spelled it out for her while Uncle Monty pointed it out almost instantaneously? There would be more remorse for a character if their character wasn't completely stupid, I think. That's probably why I found Uncle Monty's death so compelling and disastrous, he was actually competent.

Monty never knows it's Olaf, he thinks Stefano is a spy from the herpetological society.

Foxxsoxx

Well the adults stay pretty dumb throughout, it's kind of the entire trope of the series. They're so caught up in their own lives that they don't even care enough to spot whats right in front of them.

It will change the structure around in season 2 though. Season 1 goes through the first 4 books which have the least amount of story to them. Book 6 is where it not only gets much darker, but much more interesting as a whole plus the entire formula gets flipped over from there. There is a LOT more to the series besides going to different guardians.

But in the wrong way. He didn't think it was Olaf, he thought it was an industry competitor.

mantidor

Its better to see it through the lenses of it being mostly a children's book, this is a very common trope, adults are incompetent and/or absent, and is what allows the children to have their adventure, without it children stories would end on the first page.

Besides that little nod that yes, children can be smarter than adults, is really compelling, I loved it when I was a kid.

Opto

Banned
Adults also voted enough for Trump to win, so it's maybe not so unrealistic people can't see a villain standing right in front of them and don't listen to the young people screaming :p

XOMTOR

The pacing is really off, many of the jokes don't land, and NPH is trying his best but he just can't do it. I'm giving up mid way through ep 3

I enjoyed it for the most part but like you I found the pacing too slow. Felt like it needed tighter editing. I think they could have easily condensed the eight episodes into six. Some scenes just overstayed their welcome.

Quick

Banned
Watched Part 1 of The Reptile Room last night. Olaf's Stefano fucking killed me.

And gonna press F to pay respects to NPH and the theme music changing lyrics for each episode.

My friend told me not to bother with this show. That it feels "forced" and isn't entertaining. But I've been dying to watch this. I'm going to marathon this weekend, as I am guessing my friend is bananas.

rjinaz

I binged this over the weekend while I was sick in bed. From what I can remember, I liked it; but claus and violet are a little weird in this adaptation. Their relationship gave me flowers in the attic vibes.

Yeah I kind of feel like there is an attraction between the two which is off putting since they are supposed to be siblings.

Anyway, I'm on episode 4 and I like the show so far. Saw the movie ages ago and never read the books so didn't know what to expect. I find myself fast forwarding through some scenes when bad things happen to the kids.

I think I'll enjoy it and look forward to the second season.

So I haven't read the books, all I know is they made a movie with Jim Carey that I didn't watch, but decided to watch the first episode on a whim.

Absolutely loved it. NPH is amazing, and I've always loved Patrick Warburton. The Kids definitely did a great job too.

Can't wait to watch more with my girlfriend tomorrow.

LionPride

Banned
My friend told me not to bother with this show. That it feels "forced" and isn't entertaining. But I've been dying to watch this. I'm going to marathon this weekend, as I am guessing my friend is bananas.

Yeah I kind of feel like there is an attraction between the two which is off putting since they are supposed to be siblings.

Anyway, I'm on episode 4 and I like the show so far. Saw the movie ages ago and never read the books so didn't know what to expect. I find myself fast forwarding through some scenes when bad things happen to the kids.

I think I'll enjoy it and look forward to the second season.
How do y'all find an attraction between them? I found none of that

rjinaz

How do y'all find an attraction between them? I found none of that

I don't know how to explain it. Just exchanged looks, didn't feel all that sibling like, more like adoration. It could just be me. They didn't really feel like siblings to me. If you told me they were both adopted and not related I would believe it. It doesn't take away anything mind you, I still enjoy it.

Speaking of the movie, how well was that received? Should I even bother with it at this point since it'll spoil the later seasons of this?

LionPride

Banned
What? I haven't watched it yet. You're bananas too!
Lol, I meant to quote someone else, but! I can tell you that the show is really good

I don't know how to explain it. Just exchanged looks, didn't feel all that sibling like, more like adoration. It could just be me. They didn't really feel like siblings to me. If you told me they were both adopted and not related I would believe it. It doesn't take away anything mind you, I still enjoy it.
That's weird mang

Quick

Banned

The show itself is telling you not to watch it. Maybe you should heed Lemony Snicket's warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom