• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
If you have a Kindle and own the books, just download A Ball of Beasts. It would save a lot of time and trouble going back and forth between books.

it takes five minutes to set up the reminder notes and then three taps to switch books, which are always at the right place anyway >.<

Tubie

I really should finish reading World of Ice and Fire before we start the re-read.

I liked the part about the Targaryen kings, but now I'm reading about each kingdom (on the westerlands now) and I get so bored after just a few pages.

bengraven

Unless someone else would like a shot, I'm assuming since I brought it up that I'm the one doing the thread? If so and you guys want it up ASAP, I can get it up on Saturday. Won't be really pretty unless some people want to volunteer some jpg editing time, but I'll put the gist of the reading order in there and such.

Tuck

A re-read eh?

I've been thinking about doing one, as Ive forgotten a lot from the books. But I started watching the show (Just finishing season 2 now) so I can be a part of that discussion. Not sure if I have the time to read and watch the show at once. But I certainly want to, especially since the show starts deviating. Guess we'll see. Certainly is tempting.

Unless someone else would like a shot, I'm assuming since I brought it up that I'm the one doing the thread? If so and you guys want it up ASAP, I can get it up on Saturday. Won't be really pretty unless some people want to volunteer some jpg editing time, but I'll put the gist of the reading order in there and such.
I'll send you a few things today to help with the OP.

flyover

I went through both books on Kindle and put a note at the end of each chapter that should be followed by a chapter in the other book. If you're on Kindle too you can use the Location numbers to recreate the same GOTO notes: Crows. Dragons.

Thanks for posting this. I may be doing the Ball of Beasts version, myself, but I still think it was nice of you to take the time to compile and post this.

It would be ideal if most of us agreed on the same way to read Feast/Dance. Obviously people are free to do what they please, but having read the same chapters each week would be advantageous to discussion.

Yonafunu

Damn, I'd love to join the re-read but I'm in the middle of the Malazan books. I kinda wanna finish those first before I start something else.

flyover

It would be ideal if most of us agreed on the same way to read Feast/Dance. Obviously people are free to do what they please, but having read the same chapters each week would be advantageous to discussion.

I think so too. I vote Ball of Beasts. Easiest for e-readers and can be matched by physical book readers.

jett

D-Member
So, where do people think the Arya stuff is going? Because it really seems like it's going nowhere and that she's irrelevant to the actual plot.

Massa

So, where do people think the Arya stuff is going? Because it really seems like it's going nowhere and that she's irrelevant to the actual plot.

Jaqen was going to the Wall, no? They'll probably send Arya there to do what he was supposed to do.

Kinokou

It could go anywhere really, whoever in the series is the next to pay for a faceless man could get her on the job.

Also, about TWoW
Actually I'm quite interested in her chapters from a written chronology order perspective since iirc the Mercy chapter was written in the 90s? If so I wonder how much of her story has been sitting completed for years and years, what has been written in later and so on. Same goes for pretty much every other chapter.

Kinokou

Whoa, really?

This Norwegian paper claims so, while from not a blog:

So it's new in that it is material that no one but my editors (well, and Parris, and David and Dan, and a few others) have ever seen before, but it's old in that it was written a long time ago, predating any of the samples that you have seen. The first draft was, at any rate. I've rewritten it a dozen times since then.

I'd try looking for another source for the news paper claim, but I'm pretty spoiler paranoid (and conservative(?)) now that I jumped off the show.

A reread sounds good especially if GRRM sticks to what he plans. I need to repurchase GoT though, since that one went missing at some point.

Montresor

I've only been able to read ~40 pages ever since I started Book 5 in the beginning of June. Blergh, I'm disheartened at my lack of enthusiasm right now. I'm going to stick with it but I was hoping I could be totally into this for the whole series. For some reason I just can't get past the first Daenerys chapter in Book 5.

I've only been able to read ~40 pages ever since I started Book 5 in the beginning of June. Blergh, I'm disheartened at my lack of enthusiasm right now. I'm going to stick with it but I was hoping I could be totally into this for the whole series. For some reason I just can't get past the first Daenerys chapter in Book 5.

The Tyrion chapters ultimately tested me. They still do. Boring slogs for the most part.

Haha, good luck. It's kind of like an obstacle course. There's this big ass wall in front of you, and you figure, maybe once you get over it it's going to be smooth sailing. Only once you're over it you find an even bigger wall on the other side. And the walls keeping coming, and they all have weird names and not many memorable traits.

CassSept

Is it really worse than Brienne in Duskendale chapter? Seriously that stuff was mind-numbing. Worst chapter in the entire series and it goes on forever.

Is it really worse than Brienne in Duskendale chapter? Seriously that stuff was mind-numbing. Worst chapter in the entire series and it goes on forever.

Pretty much anything in Essos just about killed me in ADWD. It had its moments, but not many. I'd take more Brienne and her aimless wondering over that stuff any day.

Dysun

Yeah Brienne's chapters were the hardest for me to push through. Seriously groan worthy whenever I flipped the page and saw what was next

I'm a really big fan of the Brienne chapters in Crackclaw Point and the Quiet Isle. Very little plot relevance but very atmospheric. And the Quiet Isle has awesome thematic stuff.

Brakke

Banned
I also secretly like Brienne's chapters but I hate that they're in the book. Would've made a nice novella side-project sort of thing. They're just so wildly, completely irrelevant to anything that matters, they feel indulgent and wasteful.

Tuck

I also secretly like Brienne's chapters but I hate that they're in the book. Would've made a nice novella side-project sort of thing. They're just so wildly, completely irrelevant to anything that matters, they feel indulgent and wasteful.
Especially since we as the readers knew she was going the wrong way. Makes it all feel pointless.

Call me weird, but I legitimately enjoyed the Meereen arc for what it was. The biggest flaw for that story is that its so far removed from Westeros. But in a vacuum, it was interesting seeing the culture-clash and how Dany attempts to deal with it while being a ruler.

Jacob

I thought Dany's arc was one of the better ones in Feast/Dance. It made sense as a natural progression of her character and while it was slow, it wasn't as absurdly drawn out as, say, Cersei's. My main complaint is that Daznak's Pit is not really a sufficient climax for the wait involved. But that'll be less of an issue on re-read, whereas some of the Feast/Dance arcs will always be dull and dragging.

The biggest issue with Meereen is that Dany's inner struggle hinges on Daario being this really alluring object of temptation when he actually comes off as a big cartoon dork.

The biggest issue with Meereen is that Dany's inner struggle hinges on Daario being this really alluring object of temptation when he actually comes off as a big cartoon dork.

I think all Dany's attraction ultimately boils down to is Daario's such a "bad boy" and she's a teenager.

The relationship is also a clear way she's rebelling against what's expected of her.

Paganmoon

So he said he's cancelled all events, right? But apparently he's making an appearnance at the Sci-fi bookshop in Stockholm on the 23:rd.

Event will be livestreamed. Livestream info will be up at https://www.facebook.com/events/1583079011941571/ when available.

Edit: hmm, apparently will only be livestreamed to the SF-bookshops in Malmö and Gothenburg, so you'd have to attend those, doesn't seem like they'll do an open stream for everyone.

Kinokou

In response to him going to Sweden I guessed he might have blogged about it, and he did. Here are som relevant qoutes

Life is impossibly busy right now. I am wrestling with the Son of Kong (that is, working on THE WINDS OF WINTER), trying to wrap up a final round of edits and revisions on the twenty-third Wild Cards book (HIGH STAKES), developing three new series concepts for HBO and Cinemax, hiring writers and directors for three short low-budget films I am hoping to produce based on some classic SF short stories (more on that in the months to come), making my way through the Hugo Packet to prepare to vote, looking forward to opening JURASSIC WORLD at the Cocteay and to hosting a ten-author special event for the release of Steve Stirling's new "Emberverse" anthology, THE CHANGE. In a week's time, we'll be flying off to Europe for long-planned appearances in Germany (Hamburg) and Sweden (Stockholm), en route to Archipelacon on the island of Aland, where I am to be the Guest of Honor...

I am going to return to that chapter I've been writing on THE WINDS OF WINTER now, thank you very much.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/429752.html

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
"Developing three new series concepts for HBO and Cinemax." Please George, let one of them be a space opera. I will do anything. I will re-read the worst Daenerys chapters in Feast/Dance. Anything.

So he said he's cancelled all events, right? But apparently he's making an appearnance at the Sci-fi bookshop in Stockholm on the 23:rd.

Event will be livestreamed. Livestream info will be up at https://www.facebook.com/events/1583079011941571/ when available.

Edit: hmm, apparently will only be livestreamed to the SF-bookshops in Malmö and Gothenburg, so you'd have to attend those, doesn't seem like they'll do an open stream for everyone.

He never said he was cancelling all events. He cancelled two, one in July and one in November. Now he'll have September, October, and November without any events. I think he's free in December too but I'm not sure.

He never said he was cancelling all events. He cancelled two, one in July and one in November. Now he'll have September, October, and November without any events. I think he's free in December too but I'm not sure.

Yeah but the NFL season starts in September so he will be too busy writing about the Jets and Giants to finish the Winds of Winter.

"Developing three new series concepts for HBO and Cinemax." Please George, let one of them be a space opera. I will do anything. I will re-read the worst Daenerys chapters in Feast/Dance. Anything.

Didn't they announce he was doing some self insert science fiction space opera show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom