• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had read that theory but for whatever reason, I keep thinking Braavos is a bright sunny place.. I think the show has just leached my thoughts on the weather. So, say she grew up in Doorne and not Braavos...implications?

RedShift

I had read that theory but for whatever reason, I keep thinking Braavos is a bright sunny place.. I think the show has just leached my thoughts on the weather. So, say she grew up in Doorne and not Braavos...implications?

Obviously she's Jon's twin. Ned dropped her off with the Targ looking Daynes and looked after Jon himself. Then something happens, Ashara dies and she replaces the real Daenerys who died or something. Hence why Ned was so anti having her killed in AGOT.

Not really, but can you imagine?

Brakke

Banned
Yes it does point to... Dany living with someone who had a greenhouse? Dany living with someone who had the only lemon tree in Braavos? Dany having a shitty sense of smell
because she's actually Dragonkin and her nostrils are scorched by the fire she breathed when she was a kiddo??
?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Stannis and Renly are brothers. Robb and Robert share half a name. Jon and Jaime are half brothers. You're welcome.

you're welcome

TCRS

Banned
I haven't really bothered following any news on the book in the past few months since I'm tired of fucking GRRMs attitude, so whats the latest? any date? (lawl)

Westeros.org with a preview of the artwork from the upcoming A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (Dunk & Egg Collection).

Really quite nice:
wt77VqG.jpg

8UScEwr.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know I shouldn't dare to hope but:

Apparently the Polish translated for ASOIAF has been asked to reserve time at the end of the year to do TWOW.

Source (in Polish): http://piesnloduiognia.pl/relacja-z-...pitularz-2015/
Sounds like BS. If the manuscript were finished it'd still need time for editing before it even begins to be translated into other languages, and by the time editing will be done we'd easily be into 2016.

Sounds like BS. If the manuscript were finished it'd still need time for editing before it even begins to be translated into other languages, and by the time editing will be done we'd easily be into 2016.

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock into foreign language translators/editors two or three steps removed from the process. Even if GRRM was done this month (which won't happen) it'd be in editing for the rest of the year.

That assumes George lets his editor touch it. Lord of Light knows no editor looked at the last two books.

Even a basic copy edit takes time. No one is expecting that GRRM will let these books by heavily edited beyond that, but it will still be months from when he hands in his manuscript to when it is printed.

The Polish translator is legit and coincides with Alejo Cuervo's comments about a 2016 release. News wise this isn't a story about Martin being done or sending his MS, it's about him being close to the end. And the fact that multiple people involved in the process are talking suggests that we're getting close.

Kuraudo

Banned
A publisher isn't going to tell a translator to keep his schedule clear unless they're pretty confident they will have work for him to do.

RedShift

Even a basic copy edit takes time. No one is expecting that GRRM will let these books by heavily edited beyond that, but it will still be months from when he hands in his manuscript to when it is printed.

His editor gave a time frame for how long she expected to take on TWOW in a Q&A. I can't remember how long it was but it was shockingly small, like a couple of weeks.

Obviously not very reassuring for book quality, but still.

cj_iwakura

His editor gave a time frame for how long she expected to take on TWOW in a Q&A. I can't remember how long it was but it was shockingly small, like a couple of weeks.

Probably because they've been through most of what he's done by now, not like they have much else to do until he's done.

They likely have a pretty good idea of how efficiently they can get the book out based on A Dance with Dragons.

With all the smoke building up, it's starting to feel like we should be getting a firm date relatively soon.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just got a shipping notice for A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms from amazon.ca and should have it tomorrow. I look forward to the illustrations and reading the D&E stories again.

Aiii

So not worth it
I would be more excited about the impending release of the new book if I didn't know I will finish it in a few weeks time and then have to wait five years for the conclusion. :D

Tubie

I would be more excited about the impending release of the new book if I didn't know I will finish it in a few weeks time and then have to wait five years for the conclusion. :D

That's 5 years if he can end it in his planned 7 books, there's always a chance he'll extend it further.

Fjordson

Shit I totally forgot the Dunk & Egg book is coming out tomorrow.

So happy to have new ASOIF material (I've never read a page of the Dunk & Egg stories).

She mentioned that every year she would receive portions of ADWD to edit, so that by the end she had received much of the book already. IIRC she edited it in less than a month, but that process was elongated by Martin "sweating" the text (ie removing sentences or phrases he felt were redundant).

Martin met with his editor and publisher last month. I'd imagine he dropped off some pages of the manuscript and gave them an estimate on his progress. It's also worth nothing that a mod on the reddit noted he heard a rumor about the South American editor confirming a 2016 release months before the comments were made public. That plus the Polish translator comments=there's smoke to this fire.

If Martin wants an <April 2016 release he has to finish by early January at the latest. I'm not saying I think he'll make a spring release but I think he's close. He could give us the heads up in the next couple months. Remember he released ADWD's release date before he finished the novel.

Actually you are wrong. Martin announced the publication date on March 4th. The link you posted is from April 27th, more than a month later.

So if Martin is indeed on the path to an early 2016 release date, he'll announce the publication date before he announces he's finished.

Well he might, I don't think you can take that as a given.

Well he might, I don't think you can take that as a given.

Honestly I would take it as a given simply because it's not his decision, it's the publisher's since they select the date. If he doesn't announce it on his blog, the publisher will announce it.

TWOW probably already has some type of estimated release window. Like all other big book releases, the publisher has to plan out the rollout, clear the schedule, etc.

I'm not saying it's coming out in spring 2016. I'm just saying that if all these signs are true and the book is near, the release plan is being formulated right now. Which means that we'd get some type of info in the next couple months.

Fuzzy

I got the D&E Collection today and leafed through it and love the illustrations. GRRM even included a joke on the last page.

It's pretty funny of him to say we'll get more D&E stories. :(

Yea the fourth was going to be set at Winterfell (and perhaps reveal Hodor's lineage) but he scrapped it to finish TWOW. Last time he discussed it he made it sound like he's going in a completely different direction next time he works on it.

iirc it was called The She-Wolves Of Winterfell.

Fuzzy

How big is the book? I mean, like, dimensions. We're not talking World of Ice and Fire huge are we?
WoI&F is 12.25" x 9.5" while this is 9.5" x 6.5". It's about as thick because the print is so big.

He's been saying that for a long time. He once even had concrete plans to publish the next one which he even titled, but it got shelved.
I know, I was joking.

EDIT: There's an official GoT colouring book coming out this month? :lol

Joni

WoI&F is 12.25" x 9.5" while this is 9.5" x 6.5". It's about as thick because the print is so big.

I know, I was joking.

EDIT: There's an official GoT colouring book coming out this month? :lol

Don't know if it is still the case, but there was a huge adult coloring hype last year.

Jacob

Don't know if it is still the case, but there was a huge adult coloring hype last year.

It is very much still the case. Blew up about 6-8 months ago here in the States and is still going strong into the holiday shopping season. The only surprising thing to me is that more authors/franchises aren't jumping on the bandwagon by now. Source: I work in a bookstore.

jett

D-Member
The are the size of normal paperbacks, so no they are not the size of hardcovers.

And I would never buy a set until the whole series is finished.

Sure but these books are smaller than any books I've got, if the dimensions are correct. :p I wonder how comfortable are they to read, considering how thick they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom