• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Very Long Retrospective Look at the Mass Effect Trilogy

Jarmel

Banned
igS1nyhESlKmA.jpg

So I decided to write up my opinion/analysis of the Mass Effect trilogy and see not only whether it lived up to its promises but also the fan expectations. The ME trilogy is probably one of my favorite new franchises this gen and also simultaneously, one of my most hated. My main intention isn’t so much to compare the games to each other, although I somewhat have to do this as it is a trilogy composed of vastly different games, but if the games themselves worked by their own standards. Oh and there will be trilogy spoilers throughout so if you haven’t played the games then bail.
Inspiration-
I suppose I should start out first by looking at quotes from Casey Hudson before Mass Effect 1 was released. This is mainly to see whether Hudson lived up to the goals of the trilogy.
Much of the inspiration for Mass Effect is based on creating the ultimate science-fiction experience - a space adventure that fulfills one's fantasies of exploring the galaxy as part of an intensely exciting story. So we've drawn inspiration from a number of places, perhaps mostly from the classic science-fiction movies like Alien, Blade Runner, Star Trek: the Wrath of Khan, and 2001: a Space Odyssey. The tangible atmosphere and serious cinematic tone of these movies serves as a great reference for creating a more immersive experience than we've been able to achieve before.
I think the most obvious comparison to any of those four movies is to Star Trek. Commander Shepard is obviously Captain Kirk in that the player bangs aliens, saves the galaxy, and essentially gets to be a badass. Hudson pretty much confirmed this in an interview with IGN where he stated
http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/01/19/mass-effect-interview-2 said:
We wanted people to feel like all throughout the game they're somebody really important and special and to have that kind of feeling that when you arrive on a scene, people take notice. [...]So if you think about some of the really great, memorable science fiction stories or even characters, like Captain Kirk or Jack Bauer. Any story about that kind of a character has a very specific flavor to it and that's one thing we didn't want to miss out on with Mass Effect.
At the core of the franchise is wish fulfillment, which isn’t inherently bad but it is what it is. The franchise has always been upfront with that when the player is inducted into the hall of Spectres early on into the first game. They definitely kept that overtone throughout the games where Shepard becomes more and more of a mystical figure. In the Citadel DLC, there is the whole conversation where it’s pointed out how the rest of the Alliance admire the crew of the Normandy and in ME2, Shepard is worshiped even without his Spectre status. There was also scenes in ME1 such as with Verner. That’s something Bioware did do successfully in that the player does feel like a somebody in the universe, even if the gameplay design sometimes undermine that(mining in both ME1 and ME2). The other inspirations are there but in much less overtones.
Blade Runner and the questions of what it means to be human, is not really discussed in any detail until the 2nd game. Syd Mear’s influence also doesn’t come into play until Omega and Illium. There is very little in regards to Alien/Aliens except for Peak 15 and the the Aralakh Company mission, where the player destroying eggs in a hive with a flamethrower is via reminscient of Aliens. In general, there are not a lot of horror elements in the games and all of the sexual undertones such as male rape in Alien, are gone. I will say though that the audience/characters are afraid of the Reapers in the first game, so in that regards the fear of the unknown in Alien is carried through here. Of course the later games abandon this for a more shootbang approach to the Reapers. As for 2001, I can definitely see elements of that, mainly in regards to how the monoliths guided human evolution is similar to how the Reapers guided the technological progress of civilization. Did the trilogy live up to the expectations stated by Casey? I would say partially. Something all four of those movies excelled in, was atmosphere. The audience really felt like they were there and that was crucial for many of the scenes. This idea of atmosphere is something that the ME trilogy definitely attempted and somewhat succeeded. With the original ME, this was done through planetary exploration and other smaller ways such as elevators. Mass Effect 2 scrapped planet exploration and there is a stronger emphasis on the audiovisual component and art direction.
For example when the player enters Afterlife for the first time and hears the music before seeing the main area with lights everywhere. The ‘gritty’ setting also helped with the atmosphere in that things looked less sterile compared to ME1. This was a deliberate choice on the part of Bioware in regards to reducing scale and instead putting more oomph on what they had, both for technical (the Unreal Engine had issues with the larger spaces in ME1) and artistic reasons. As for ME3, this was accomplished again through the settings such as the refugees on the Citadel and the ‘work-in’progress’ setting of the Normandy. For the later two titles, there is generally less emphasis on scale and more focus on detail. I feel that it both benefitted and harmed the trilogy in that the sense of exploration found in the first game is gone in the sequels but some of the places found in ME2 in particular, really stand out in comparison to ME1. The atmosphere in 3 was something that Bioware was partially successfully but they also really fucked up. The way that the sidemissions tied into the main narrative arc is something that Bioware had wanted to do, in order to give the story a sense of urgency, and it worked to an extent. There are definitely some filler missions, however many of the sidemissions did feel vital to the war effort such as Grissom Academy. However there was also an issue with time progression in that the audience never really gets a sense of how much time has passed and how badly Earth is being wrecked. The game repeatedly states that there is a time limit and the player should hurry however there is no real negative or game component that emphasizes that. Mass Effect 2 attempted this idea of urgency but was even less success compared to ME3 as people are being kidnapped however the player can just wander about. This creates a sort of narrative dissonance that Bioware somewhat tried to fix in the near engame portion of ME2 where after a certain point, the player is punished for doing other missions other than the suicide mission with parts of the crew being dissolved. ME1 and ME3 never bother with this to a heavy extent and the player has to just roll with it and just ignore that element of the story. There’s another comment by Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer for ME1 and ME2, where he stated
http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/01/19/mass-effect-interview-2 said:
Mass Effect is inspired by the feel of the classic science fiction movies of the 1980s, which owe a lot to the classic science fiction authors from the 50s and 60s.
I think that element comes through fairly clearly in ME1, moreso than ME2 or 3. You can see this in the armor designs and some of the levels as well. It’s again something where the franchise shifted directions after ME1 into something more Gears of War like. I’m not so much a fan of this but some people prefered that shift.
Narrative-
This is far and away the greatest failing of the ME franchise as a whole. I’ll be frank, ME was supposedly designed as a trilogy however it doesn’t feel like one. This is mostly the fault of ME3 in that there are no eureka moments where things snap into place instead it feels like the writers are trying to explain away past writing mistakes. The whole Cerberus base being filled with voicelogs seemed like a forced moment on the part of the writers where they attempted to salvage some of the bad writing. The moment with Space Casper while fitting thematically in terms of ME3, doesn’t fit in regards to the franchise as a whole. I will say that ME2 does put some emphasis on it, but organics vs AI wasn’t a real driving point of ME2 and there are tons of conflicting points that doesn’t justify the actions of the Reapers. Javik did a rudimentary job of justifying the eternal organics vs synthetics debate but problem is that he’s DLC, same with Leviathan, and so some audience/players are going to miss crucial parts of the story. Even then, in both cases, it’s just a conversation instead of something more substantial. Part of the problem is that there is a huge gap between each game where there is a reset involved, thus breaking any sort of narrative flow. I understand why Bioware did it, in that the idea of a freeflowing trilogy was too much for them in that there were way too many choices and outcomes for them to keep track and extrapolate and having some sort of reset between games was a way of reducing stress on their part, however it goes against their mantra of “Your choices matter”. That mantra became some sort of impossible standard that Bioware was never able to meet.
ibilcIkagFwmzS.jpg

There were also some flat out poor writing decisions as well.
Fans wanted a truly dynamic world where Garrus reacted differently depending on whether you were Paragon or Renegade to him in the first game and instead what they got was a 2nd game that completely swept that under the rug. Bioware did have some luck with that in the 3rd game with the point system between the Geth and Quarians(whether you could save both the Geth and Quarians) which was dependent on one of your actions in the 2nd game but they never truly embraced that. I will say that they did do a semi-decent job at times in the third game, such as whether Mordin or Wrex was dead. They however didn’t want to exclude or lock players out of content as they felt it would be punishing the player for a wrong choice, which I feel is the wrong way of looking at it. Having a lockout system not only increase replayability but also gives consequence to the player’s actions. Having played through Witcher 1 recently, I really feel that this is not the correct road to go down in regards to RPGs. Bioware has to acknowledge that not everyone needs to see everything the first time through and that consumers are fine with that. Ultimately though, I think it was too ambitious for them. Even with the bigger choices, Bioware fell way short. Choices like whether to blow up or keep the Collector base has no effect on the story and it feels like there is no moulding of the universe. While choice mechanics usually are superficial in regards to long term game impact, the problem here is that the superficiality is slapped in your face to such a hard extent. Bioware should also be held accountable for some of the hyperbole in press releases before ME3 was released. There’s the famous Hudson line,
Obviously this wasn’t the case. The player doesn’t get to see any sort of consequence resulting from all the War Points. What this creates is a feeling that the player has been adding a bunch of numbers to a spreadsheet rather than some tangible. For something that has been built up to for roughly a decade and multiple games, disappointment doesn’t come close to accurately describing the sensation.

There also other plot issues within ME1 as well as ME2. The main issue with ME2 though is that it doesn’t really take advantage of the amazing intro when you are spaced and follow through with multiple implications such as whether Shepard is Shepard, they brush it off with a quick throwaway line. It serves as a plot device to force the narrative down the path that Bioware wants it, mainly that the player is forced to work with Cerberus. A more natural option would have been to allow the player the ability to choose whether to work with Cerberus or the Alliance. There are also issues again with the forced reset, mainly in regards to the behavior of the Council who act oblivious despite a Reaper being right at their door. Other than minor stuff like the Thanix cannon, there doesn’t seem to be any sort of investigation or intelligence in general on the part of the leaders. It’s just another way to stall the narrative. There are also some narrative dead-ends created in ME2 due to the way ME3 panned out, mostly the dark energy emphasis in Tali’s recruitment mission and the Suicide Mission. There seemed to be something building there and going by Drew Karpyshyn comments after ME3 was released, this seems like a dropped plot thread.
Exploration-
This took an asswhooping over the course of the trilogy. We started from openworld barren planets to barren solar systems to ping. I think I confidently say that this element was one of the biggest disappointments of the trilogy. While the first game was chokefull of the same damn cargo bay or different reskins of planets, the skyboxes were glorious. Nothing in the franchise captured that exploration feeling like landing on some random rock and exploring with your Mako for half an hour looking for a base. A lot of people hated the Mako due to the floaty physics and the 90 degree vertical incline on some of the mountains but I had a blast. I loved getting out of the vehicle and taking a Thresher Maw on foot. It was obvious though that Bioware couldn’t flesh out the universe, due to either ram or developing prowess, in the way that most of the fans or I wanted. People wanted something like a space version of Skyrim and Bioware just flat out isn't capable of that. Part of the fan's expectations is on Bioware due to marketing but Bioware also just underwhelmed even by a limited standard as well. They tried to compromise a bit with the 2nd game but inadvertently created the awful mining game. The main problem with the mining game is that it’s boring. There is no possibility of failure and so there isn’t any tension on the part of the player. It becomes a big timesink necessary in order to completely trick out your ship(unless you mod on the PC). The missions themselves were better but you lost out on that open-world exploration. ME3 pretty much threw everything out and left you with a Pac-Man minigame. The exploration is just gone, obviously done to create a sense of urgency. I can understand the motivation behind it, however it really creates the sense of a linear shooter instead of the open-world in ME1. There really aren’t any missions like Overlord either where you can explore within the confines of the mission. Overlord should have been (and before ME3 released ,reportedly was) the model for all ME3 missions. It was a fantastic mix of ME1 and ME2.
Gameplay Mechanics-
The only real case of Bioware attempting to fix something, and pulling it off, is in regards to the powers and weapons mechanics in the third game. The Bioware running policy when it came to gameplay was ‘if it’s broken, axe it’. This can most easily be seen in the planet scanning in the 2nd game. People in mass hated it for good reason, so Bioware instead of fixing the minigame, pretty much axes it. In doing so, they create this odd void where the user interface looks like it’s still designed around the minigame but it’s just not there. There was a whole host of changes implemented in ME2 that riled people up. The first of which was the elimination of the inventory. This complaint was something I never really understood, as the player still acquired loot. A more valid, IMO, criticism had to do with the change to the XP system where XP is granted at the end of the mission instead of after a kill or during the middle of a mission. I understand both perspectives on this in that a more ‘aggressive’ XP system allows for level ups during missions, which some people like, and also that it rewards players for going out of their way to kill more enemies. That said, Bioware’s point of view in this is also valid as XP not based around the enemies killed, puts more of a priority on objectives. This allows them to create missions where the player might not kill any enemies or a low amount of enemies but can still get an equal amount of points by just completing the goal. I do think ME3 nailed the balance between the two by still giving a good amount of points for objectives but also points for kills as well. Then there is also the crucification that Bioware received from fans about how the game shifted to a covershooter in the veins of Gears of War in the 2nd and 3rd game. I think Bioware implemented the shift fairly well, purely in terms of cover mechanics. There was a bigger emphasis on the shooting aspect compared to the biotics in the first game, in that the Infiltrator and Soldier class are the best in ME2, and so the shift works fairly well. I’m trying to imagine how Bioware could have implemented a ME1 gunplay system into ME2 or ME3 and I can’t imagine it working well. Even in ME1, the player had to use cover in their environment. That said, I do think a bigger problem was the nerfing of biotics in ME2 with the whole rock-paper-scissors design in regards to the enemy. It pretty much made biotics useless and so the bigger focus on shooting made it feel like a more traditional shooter rather than ‘Mass-Effecty’.
ibzvggfnrrKFYM.jpg

The 2nd game was also a bit janky when it came to melee combat.
I do think though that Bioware again fully tackled it in ME3 in regards to biotics combat. Biotics are again very viable but also not completely broken as they were in ME1. They really nailed the RPG mechanics in regards to powers and weapons in ME3. The level up system had a noticeable effect on your powers and allowed for a lot of experimentation and variation. This stands in sharp contrast compared to ME2 which is much more linear in regards to power progression. The weapon system in ME3 is also the best, by far but it again allowed for more variation on the part of the player and there is a very noticeable effect when the player modifies a weapon. Bioware stated that they wanted the gun to feel as personal as the player’s Shepard and I think they did a relatively satisfactory job here. There is also a lot more variety in ME3 compared to ME1 in terms of weapons due to the similarity of the weapons in ME1 where there is just a palette swap. That said, one area that got a huge hammer taken to it from the 1st game and never really recovered to ME1 levels, was the armor. The number of armors in the 2nd game are just completely gone and you can’t even customize your squad in all pink armor. While the customization in regards to armor color in the 2nd game is nice, there is just a big dearth of armor selections and modifications. The 3rd game is slightly better but still falls short of the first game by a large margin. Decking your crew out in matching Spectre X armor was a highlight and that joy never came back.

Jarmel

Banned
Sounds-
The soundtracks in all three games are topnotch. Jack Wall described the goal of the ME1 soundtrack as
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/10969/backtrack-composing-mass-effect-jack-wall-interview-part-1 said:
The whole direction for Mass Effect 1 was ambient synthesizers. Casey Hudson, the director of the game would say, "Imagine that you're in the orchestra with a keyboard synthesizer and it's going through an amplifier and that amplifier is being mic'd and it's got reverb on it and it blends in perfectly with the orchestra. So his idea was that the synths would be mixed with orchestra, but that it would be heavily synthesizer-based. So Tangerine Dream "Love on a Real Train" that great song when they're making love on the train from Risky Business with Tom Cruise. The music that plays is by Tangerine Dream and it's beautiful. That was a really big reference point for us.
I think that style is very prevalent throughout ME1 and in comparison to Tangerine Dream’s Love on a Real Train, they came close to their goal. Themes such as Vigiland Uncharted Worlds established the futuristic world and were great at grabbing the audience’s attention. While ME2 and ME3 don’t get as much credit as they deserve due to how great and different ME1’s soundtrack was due to the synths, both have very iconic pieces. ME2 for example has Illusive Man, The Normandy Reborn, and also Suicide Mission. ME3 has a few fantastic pieces as well such as An End Once and For All and Leaving Earth. Mansell turned out to be a situation similar to Hans Zimmer and Crysis 2, where a famous composer gets attached to the soundtrack of a game and only pumps out a couple of songs. He did do a good job with the two songs that he composed I guess. While some people aren’t happy about the shift from the synths to a more traditional orchestra set, I believe that Jack Wall and Sam Hulick really nailed it. Even in Citadel, Hulick makes his presence known and I hope that he works on ME4. I should also mention the fantastic pick of Faunts for the ending credits for ME1 and ME3.

The sound direction in any of the games weren’t particularly noteworthy except for the Reapers and Husks. This is mostly because the electronic screeching gave certain scenes and missions a rather eerie and horroric feel. It wasn’t lacking but I wouldn’t say they were phenomenal as well. I do think they did a good job with some of the sound effects though such as the overheat sound in ME1 or the biotics sounds in all three. The ‘bwoop’ sound when you slammed someone with a biotic was a joy. Rob Blake’s, the audio lead, goal in ME3 was
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/sv-interview-mass-effect-3-audio-lead-rob-blake?page=0 said:
The big change in Mass Effect 3 audio-wise was a focus on dynamics. This means dynamic range in audio levels, but also emotional dynamics. I wanted to make sure we had moments of real delicacy next to scenes of pure chaos to emphasize the importance of certain moments.
I don’t think the audio team lived up to that as the quieter moments were fairly forgettable, compared to say ME2 on Omega or Illium.

Something of vital importance, for a franchise as character heavy as ME, was the voice acting and they did a fantastic job from stuff such as the Elcor all the way to the Shepards. They were even able to incorporate nerd celebrities successfully. Nobody really stood out of place and everyone really helped to define their characters. I can’t imagine the Illusive Man without Charlie Sheen, EDI without Tricia Helfer, Joker without Seth Green, or Anderson without Keith David. There were also the ‘unknowns’ who did a phenomenal job such as Brandon Keener as Garrus or Ali Hillis(at the time) as Liara. Of course Hillis is somewhat well known now as the voice of Lightning(I have to mentally block the connection). There are also the infamous Shepard vs Femshep debates. It’s fascinating to watch Mark Meer get much better over his weak performance in ME1 and I think he holds his own against Jennifer Hale in ME3. Hale does a fantastic job in all three, especially with the Renegade parts, and carries a lot of the emotion in certain scenes. I liked how the Citadel DLC had fun poking jabs at the VAs and writing in the “I should go now” scene.
Visuals-
As strange and as sad as this sounds, ME2 was king in the technical aspect of the visuals. The major problem in ME3 is with the animations, both body and facial. This really hurts certain scenes due to the running animations being so bad. The first game also was plagued with not only tons and tons of pop-in textures and some of the animations are wonky as well but they seemed competent unlike in ME3. The animations in ME2 were relatively solid and were a step up from the first. The upgrade in using the Unreal Engine 3.5 is fairly noticeable compared to the base UE 3 in ME1. That said, the art direction in ME1 wins. Derek Watts in an interview pre-ME1 stated,
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1913/Behind-the-Art-of-Mass-Effect-Interview/p1/ said:
For the environments, we basically poured over photos of unique areas you can find on earth, from the Lake District in England to the Phi Phi Islands in Thailand. For structures we generally looked at Modern Architecture from Europe and Japan. We also looked at artists such as Syd Mead, Chris Cunningham and John Harris. We looked at numerous movies, from Tron to Solaris. We wanted a clean look to this world. Something that looks like it could be possible in the future and somewhere you would want to go. We really tried to hammer home to everyone that the look we wanted was clean and futuristic.
You can definitely see that ‘clean’ aspect in ME1 through things such as the Citadel and Noveria.
Concept art of Noveria is very similar to stuff from John Harris and I think they fully succeeded in that regards. Obviously Syd Mead was the main inspiration for ME2 exemplified through Omega.The Collectors are a very visually bland enemy, and this really hurts some of the major levels in ME2. While intentional, the hive levels just aren’t that interesting. As for ME3, it’s a mishmash I guess. There are some elements from Harris such as Thessia but it definitely doesn’t feel as prevalent as ME1. There doesn’t seem to be a strong art direction driving the game compared to ME1 or ME2. Earth itself is a bit of a mess where the place looks blown-out but bland at the same time. Also there is nothing reaching the ‘wow’ level of Ilos or running up the side of the Citadel in zero-g in either the base game of ME2 or ME3. ME3 did have a very cool moment in Leviathan when going underwater as that was a change of pace and something not done before in the franchise. It just seems with ME3, Bioware was going more for explosions instead of subtly distilling moments when the player is wandering about.

One interesting tidbit that I found was that Bioware used Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as inspiration for some of the designs. Derek Watts, one of the art leads for the trilogy, stated,
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309198/bioware-mass-effect-inspired-a-lot-by-final-fantasy-film/ said:
Yeah, you know we actually reference a lot from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. We used a lot of their GUIs and the way they did their ship - that was kind of like in some of the early designs for the Normandy. Our attack helicopters are loosely based off that movie. There's some great stuff, especially their glowing GUI screens; we used those a lot. I keep a folder of that stuff and I still actually tell the guys 'just go back and look at that. Change it like that!'

Immersion as a whole-
ME1 was key. Despite all the bitching about how slow the elevators were(and they were slow), they really added to the immersion of the world in that it seemingly never took you out of the game. The small banter with your crew as you go slowly down was nice and it also helped add to the vistas and initial wow factor. It was a clever way of hiding the loading times but got scratched in the sequels for a more traditional loading screen. Speaking of screens, there was also the Mission Complete screens in ME2. I understand people hated these screens for the obvious ‘gamey’ factor and it took players out of the world but I somewhat liked it due to the Cerberus bias and propaganda in it. Also as the games become more linear, the immersion kept going down. The ultimate slap in the face is how the trilogy went from multiple hubs in ME2 back down to 1 in ME3. While the Citadel in ME3 might have been larger than all the hubs in ME2, it again killed the exploration factor of landing and wandering around a foreign planet such as Illium. There were also the shitty fetch quests in ME3 where the player doesn’t land on the Hanar homeworld and it just makes many of the sidequests feel extremely anti-climatic.
if0gf9peERoht.jpg

The farewell party in the Citadel DLC really should have been in the base game
Characters-I saved the best for last. The strength of the ME franchise is in the characters. The trilogy fleshed out your crew and really made the audience care for them more so than anything. While people joke about ME being a ‘waifu’ simulator due to stuff like Tali Sweat, that only points out how fantastic the characters are. Garrus is my bro.

Supplementary materials-
This has been a mixed bag but leaning more towards the negative. The main problem with a lot of the supplementary material is that it should have been in the main game. The backstory in Ascension should have been referenced more in the actual games themselves. Saren hating humanity because of his brother’s death in the First Contact War should have been focused more in ME1. It gives a very tangible and personal element to Saren’s motivations.

Conclusion
Yea this turned out much longer than I expected and I didn’t really touch upon a lot of the faults of the ending, the level design philosophy and how that improved over the course of the trilogy, the marketing and DLC issues, or the enemy design philosophy. I tried to cover as much as I could to the best of my abilities. So what does everyone think of the franchise and of what worked and what didn’t? The trilogy was one big experiment and it’s fairly interesting seeing both the changes and the failures.

What a glorious clusterfuck this series was. Looking back, each game had such a different tone and vision for the series that it hurt it greatly by the time mass effect 3 rolled around. When I think about the mass effect games, the word that comes to mind is "inconsistent".

The only thing that I would call consistent across all three games is their ability to make some great characters, and their ability to keep you invested in the old ones. Citadel is, in my opinion, the best part of all three games, because it's nothing but shooting and character moments.

I wish they had actually planned out a trilogy. Now that would have been something to behold.

I had the worst ending of all people. I didn't do anyone's loyalty missions. GO CHILDREN! DO THE FUCKING LOYALTY MISSIONS.....god. Such amazing games though in my opinion. Immersion was top notch and I just wanted to learn more!

Thorgal

The games are great as a space opera saga even tough i can understand the complaints that the Trillogy got more and more away from the RPG aspect and into a straight shooter.

As you said the game is carried by the characters and the diversity of them .

When i first started playing mass effect 1 i became intrigued in all the different races and how they function and tick.

You have The Turians a race of galactic peacekeepers whose civilization is build on discipline and order.

The battle loving Krogan who where
sterilized to stop their conquest of the galaxy after the rachnid wars

The Salarians .who prefer preemptive strikes .espionage . sabotage and assassination above pure military strengh .

The Asari . a Race of only woman who live up to a 1000 years and are more diplomatic in their aproach to others .

and many more races..

I wonder to this day how the series might have been remembered if they did not make a mess of the ending of the trilogy ?

Hmm, some of those earlier paragraphs could be broken up into two or three smaller, easier to digest ones. But I agree with most of your points, although I'm not sure what could be done with armor without making it too crazy.

But the one I disagree with the most is incorporating the supplementary materials into the games. Revelations is the only exception, but the big issue for me is that most of them (even the ones by Drew Karpyshn, who is lauded as a saint by many ME/Bioware fans for some reason, despite his many questionable creative decisions) just plain suck in one way or another. Then there's the issue of how to implement such a thing - most games and a lot of non-game media do this thing where they just assume that you've bothered to read the stuff, which makes the story seem like it's full of plot holes to anyone who doesn't know about the supplementary stuff (aka everyone outside of the hardcore franchise fans).

Omega

Banned
What a glorious clusterfuck this series was. Looking back, each game had such a different tone and vision for the series that it hurt it greatly by the time mass effect 3 rolled around. When I think about the mass effect games, the word that comes to mind is "inconsistent".

The only thing that I would call consistent across all three games is their ability to make some great characters, and their ability to keep you invested in the old ones. Citadel is, in my opinion, the best part of all three games, because it's nothing but shooting and character moments.

I wish they had actually planned out a trilogy. Now that would have been something to behold.

so true

I love the series. As much as I try to hate it because they're pretty mediocre games IMO, it's the other things like the characters that made me enjoy the series. I even read the books/comics. I think EatChildren is the only other person that's done that

Derrick01

Banned
The series was definitely defined for the worse by Bioware trying to do way too much and having no idea how to do it all. I felt like 1 was an amazing starting point as it established the universe really well, had a nice story with an interesting villain which also ended with one of the best endings in recent history, and it had some decent but flawed exploration. The building blocks were all there for the sequels and yet they ruined everything except the combat. They flat out stripped away most of the RPG elements and exploration in favor of a more generic AAA action shooter. Hell in 3 they took away a lot of dialog options too.

I know real space exploration is damn near impossible in the AAA space due to budget and time issues but I really wanted to see ME1's attempt at exploration improved. Also would have been nice for them to not have as much focus on humans being the all important super race despite being the newest race in the galaxy.

Thorgal

so true

I love the series. As much as I try to hate it because they're pretty mediocre games IMO, it's the other things like the characters that made me enjoy the series. I even read the books/comics. I think EatChildren is the only other person that's done that

*Waves flag.
i read them too .

Jarmel

Banned
Hmm, some of those earlier paragraphs could be broken up into two or three smaller, easier to digest ones. But I agree with most of your points, although I'm not sure what could be done with armor without making it too crazy.

But the one I disagree with the most is incorporating the supplementary materials into the games. Revelations is the only exception, but the big issue for me is that most of them (even the ones by Drew Karpyshn, who is lauded as a saint by many ME/Bioware fans for some reason, despite his many questionable creative decisions) just plain suck in one way or another. Then there's the issue of how to implement such a thing - most games and a lot of non-game media do this thing where they just assume that you've bothered to read the stuff, which makes the story seem like it's full of plot holes to anyone who doesn't know about the supplementary stuff (aka everyone outside of the hardcore franchise fans).

I tried breaking up the first couple of paragraphs a bit as you're right, they were a bit unwieldy.

The main reason people worship Karpyshyn is due to how shitty the writers following him are. There are definitely issues in ME1 but Karpyshyn also did a lot right and really hit certain notes. That said, Karpyshyn also helped write ME2 and should get some of the blame there as well.

As for the side stuff, there was Redemption that explained Liara recovering Shepard's body. That was something that desperately needed to have been in the game. I think the original idea of Legion recovering your body was better but the way it is now is somewhat unacceptable. There needed to have been something between the opening and Shepard waking up on the table. Some sort of change in POV character for just one mission would have worked trying to fill that void and also let the shock of Shepard's death linger a bit.

I wonder to this day how the series might have been remembered if they did not make a mess of the ending of the trilogy ?
Mass Effect 3 really screwed the pooch. It needed to justify certain narrative elements in ME2, mainly why the Collectors submission was so important. If it had done that and built towards a good conclusion, I think the trilogy would have been remembered much more fondly. It's just ME3 bungled everything up so badly, that the franchise as a whole took a hit.

The series was definitely defined for the worse by Bioware trying to do way too much and having no idea how to do it all. I felt like 1 was an amazing starting point as it established the universe really well, had a nice story with an interesting villain which also ended with one of the best endings in recent history, and it had some decent but flawed exploration. The building blocks were all there for the sequels and yet they ruined everything except the combat. They flat out stripped away most of the RPG elements and exploration in favor of a more generic AAA action shooter. Hell in 3 they took away a lot of dialog options too.

I know real space exploration is damn near impossible in the AAA space due to budget and time issues but I really wanted to see ME1's attempt at exploration improved. Also would have been nice for them to not have as much focus on humans being the all important super race despite being the newest race in the galaxy.

I think the keyword to describe the franchise so far is ambitious. Bioware tried something that hadn't really been attempted before and they ultimately failed. They wanted something much bigger but they couldn't live up to that, by either the fans' metric or just a more neutral one. I do think credit should be given to them for what they've accomplished but I also think they really need to examine what went wrong and where to go from here.

I think the keyword to describe the franchise so far is ambitious. Bioware tried something that hadn't really been attempted before and they ultimately failed. They wanted something much bigger but they couldn't live up to that, by either the fans' metric or just a more neutral one. I do think credit should be given to them for what they've accomplished but I also think they really need to examine what went wrong and where to go from here.

I think, with time, the first Mass Effect trilogy will be more fondly remembered for its ambition, great characters, and wonderful universe. It was a hell of a thing to try to tie three games of this magnitude together, even under the best of circumstances. I doubt we'll see anyone try again soon.

I think, with time, the first Mass Effect trilogy will be more fondly remembered for its ambition, great characters, and wonderful universe. It was a hell of a thing to try to tie three games of this magnitude together, even under the best of circumstances. I doubt we'll see anyone try again soon.

I'm really looking forward to what RPG's and worlds we'll get to see this generation. Every time I see the specs of the PS3 / 360 hardware, I'm just so genuinely impressed with what developers have been able to pull off.

antispin

Wow. This is pretty much how I feel about this franchise. I was very excited after the first one, given the enormous potential, but then...

Mass Effect 1 was one of my favorite games ever. The story was amazing, characters were great and I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay. Mass Effect 2 felt like a sideways step, it didn't advance the plot much, if at all and really just felt like a bunch of glorified fetch quests. Mass Effect 3 then took everything that was great about the series and shat all over it, completely ruining the entire story with it's hack ending. I really wish Drew Karpyshyn had stuck with the series since Mac Walters is one of the biggest hacks in writing I have ever experienced.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What I hate is how BioWare is trying to rewrite history in regards to Shepard's sexual orientation. In ME1, s/he was straightstraightstraight. They held this line on ME2 as well. Then suddenly, they are the champions of Queer rights in videogames and ME3 is all about "choice" and player freedom. It's just a bit absurd.

As for the franchise as a whole, ME1 offered so much potential. Sure it was rough around the edges, but it set up such a great universe and a great set up. But we all know how that turned out.

They couldn't even leave the music alone, moving from the 80s synth pop OST to the standard orchestral blahblahblah of ME2 and then getting rid of Wall altogether in ME3.

Great read. I'd love to see how the series would have turned out had EA not bought BioWare.

A former BioWare dev on reddit revealed a bit of info on the development of the first game, stating that half of the uncharted worlds were cut due to time. Even if those worlds were pretty barren, I'd still like to see the others, if just for the sky boxes.

Mononoke

Banned

Mass Effect 3's story is so bad. Outside a couple missions (that were a spectacular resolution to some side arcs), the overall game is a mess. It's easy to focus on the ending, but the overall plot is sloppy to say the least.

While the first game was chokefull of the same damn cargo bay or different reskins of planets, the skyboxes were glorious. Nothing in the franchise captured that exploration feeling like landing on some random rock and exploring with your Mako for half an hour looking for a base. A lot of people hated the Mako due to the floaty physics and the 90 degree vertical incline on some of the mountains but I had a blast.

Damn right. The first game will always be my favorite because of the exploration aspect, and the feeling of a vast and mysterious galaxy. I had endless fun just trying to get my Mako to the absolute highest point on some maps so I could just look around in awe.

8129_f633.gif

Ceebs

Beyond the fact that the sequels were in no way RPGs what bugged me most about these games was that for a series trumping it's narrative above all else, the games were mostly side quests with a few story missions thrown in for good measure.

The first game was broken and lacking content, but it at least had some interesting ideas in terms of being a RPG shooter. A shame they ditched everything interesting for the sequels and made a cover based shooter with conversations.

Mass Effect is a series that defines Biowares tendency to bite off more than they can chew and end up swallowing the foods down the wrong pipe, and yet refuses to drink some water to wash it all the way down and instead chooses to consume more food.

Omega

Banned
What was wrong with ME3 besides the ending?

this post sums it up pretty well, although it misses some stuff

It was a fucking shitty rush-job with no heart and thought. It was a simplistic, primitive example of how to create a game with no aspirations for anything other than fulfilling the quarterly report of your parent company. In the course of a playthrough, it manages to include all of the following *basic* deficiencies:

• Broken quest log. Even freely available browser games do a better job.
  • Recycled N7 missions, i.e. horde-modes multiplayer maps masquerading as singleplayer missions.
  • Asspulls out of nowhere. The Crucible is somehow the solution to the Reaper problem? Really? That's the best you could do as a writer?
  • Lazy writing: Cerberus are apparently no longer a paramilitary organisation, but have millions of personnel and are able to cover the entire galaxy wherever Space Jesus goes
  • Even more lazy writing: In-your-face exposition, like having a newly introduced character referencing what happened in the earlier games. For example, James asks during the trip back to Eden Prime: "So, Shepard, this is the place where [lists all the things that happened in ME1] took place?" Shepard: "Yes, that is correct, James." I know Bioware wanted to be more inclusive towards people unfamiliar with the universe, but this is just lazy writing and it is entirely possible to convey that information in a believable and intelligent manner
  • Fetch side-quests that *only* involved fucking planet scanning.
  • Animations were even worse and unpolished. Many, many instances of buggy weapons or items or even switching up weapons between gameplay and cutscenes.
  • Removing features that were in the previous two games
  • Random turret sequences. A lot of times. One particular main campaign mission involves defending two points from enemy waves, followed by another turret sequence from the air. Yes, 3 turret sequences in one mission
  • Holstering was removed, which goes to show that not once does the game *not* focus on shooting while you're in a mission. Your gun is always constantly pointing towards something, which speaks volumes about Bioware's design philosophy
  • Fanservice én masse.
  • Plot pacing was completely terrible. It's either rush to save Earth, unite the warring races versus getting a trinket from some planet for a random citizen
  • Kai Leng was not properly established, so he just comes across as an extreme nuisance with a lot of plot armour
  • The earlier established villain didn't even say a word in the entire game and has like a 2 minute cameo in the end. Apparently Harbinger's importance in ME2 was entirely worthless.
  • A lot of internal logical inconsistencies
  • Dialogue moments that used to be interactive with at least some sort of camera work is relegated to pushing a button and a wave-file playing. It screams that Bioware rushed the game by not having the usual dialogue presentation that they had in earlier games.
  • The way to start sidequests revolves around walking by some strangers
  • Linear, corridor-based level design
  • Emphasis on shootbang, meaning a lot of shooting, intense action, explosions, etc. The game design never stops to let the atmosphere and setting breathe, but is instead focused on yelling at the player as much as possible, as if he/she suffers from ADHD
  • Lame, shitty attempts at affecting the player's emotions. The introduction sequence at Earth with Vent Kid dying is probably the worst example of shitty writing that I've come across in the history gaming. I felt so offended that someone thought such a ridiculous attempt at creating empathy would be successful.
  • The ending of ME2 was rendered completely irrelevant. Apparently blowing up a colony of Batarians wasn't such a big deal.
  • Shitty, shitty writing. Examples like "We fight or we die!" are plenty.
  • Meaningless war assets. They amount to being nothing more than a number-filled spreadsheet. A complete travesty.
  • And this is not to talk about the monumental clusterfuck of an ending. I mean, you have to actually commit a tremendous amount of effort to do such a terrible fucking job.

All of the above seems pretty self-evident to me if you expect to be engaged and respected as a human being capable of rational and critical thought when experiencing different fictional media. Yet the following was somehow the judgement by "game critics":

me3_metacriticd9pun.png

Seriously, they must all be blind and/or incompetent to gloss over the many deficiencies of Mass Effect 3. But then again, it might all make sense: A game created by incompetent developers will be well-received by incompetent critics.

Mass Effect 3's story is so bad. Outside a couple missions (that were a spectacular resolution to some side arcs), the overall game is a mess. It's easy to focus on the ending, but the overall plot is sloppy to say the least.

I'd say ME2's was sloppier, but that's mainly because ME2 barely had one. ME2 is a collection of short character stories that do nothing to advance the plot. It's effective and a very smart idea on their part because it plays to bioware's strengths, but as far as actual plot goes the game is severely lacking.

Mass effect 3, on the other hand, managed to wrap up the big subplots in a decent enough fashion while tying them into the overarcing narrative. So I'd say that mass effect 3 wins this particular cripple fight :p

this post sums it up pretty well, although it misses some stuff

I dont really like that list. Far too many of those complaints can be applied to ME1 and ME2.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ Indeed. BioWare can deliver good characters when they try (to not kill every [ME2] character off), but the arcs for ME2 and ME3 were so poor.

Omega

Banned
I'd say ME2's was sloppier, but that's mainly because ME2 barely had one. ME2 is a collection of short character stories that do nothing to advance the plot. It's effective and a very smart idea on their part because it plays to bioware's strengths, but as far as actual plot goes the game is severely lacking.

Mass effect 3, on the other hand, managed to wrap up the big subplots in a decent enough fashion while tying them into the overarcing narrative. So I'd say that mass effect 3 wins this particular cripple fight :p

Mass Effect 2 would have done a good job bridging the gap because those "short character stories" were to have you connect with the characters.

Instead, apparently we wouldn't give a shit about losing someone like Garrus, who is almost like your brother or the other 35 fucking people we met throughout the series and have a connection to.

but some little white kid who has a 2 minute cameo? allthefeels.jpg

Mass Effect 3 isn't just bad on it's own, it completely makes the events of ME1 and ME2 irrelevant. the reason 2 might seem bad is because you realize you wasted a minimum of 20 hours doing absolutely nothing since nothing mattered, and half the shit wasn't even mentioned.

Jarmel

Banned
They couldn't even leave the music alone, moving from the 80s synth pop OST to the standard orchestral blahblahblah of ME2 and then getting rid of Wall altogether in ME3.

I think that Bioware and co. get too much flak for this. I definitely prefer 80s synth but they did pump out some fantastic themes in ME2 and ME3.

I dont really like that list. Far too many of those complaints can be applied to ME1 and ME2.

The level design complaint in particular I don't think you can lodge at ME3. The fights in ME3 take place in some open areas, especially compared to ME1 and ME2. That's something where I felt that Bioware really stepped their game up compared to the prior two games.

Also the complaint about fanservice I don't think is valid because like I mentioned earlier, the franchise at its core is about wish fullfillment and has always been about fanservice to an extent. I think that's one of the bigger issues with ME3's ending actually, is because the writing goes against that element of doing the impossible in order to have this dark ending and to kill off Shepard.

Mass Effect 3 isn't just bad on it's own, it completely makes the events of ME1 and ME2 irrelevant. the reason 2 might seem bad is because you realize you wasted a minimum of 20 hours doing absolutely nothing since nothing mattered, and half the shit wasn't even mentioned.

ME3 screwed up in a lot of ways. It needed to bridge or connect ME1 and ME2 not only to each other but also to itself and instead it dropped the ball leaving ME2 hanging in the wind.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mass Effect 2 would have done a good job bridging the gap because those "short character stories" were to have you connect with the characters.

Instead, apparently we wouldn't give a shit about losing someone like Garrus, who is almost like your brother or the other 35 fucking people we met throughout the series and have a connection to.

but some little white kid who has a 2 minute cameo? allthefeels.jpg

Mass Effect 2 already felt pointless. But the fact that they basically wrote themselves into a corner by allowing everyone to die basically meant they couldn't do anything consequential whatsoever. I feel bad for people who actually romanced Jacob. lol

I think that Bioware and co. get too much flak for this. I definitely prefer 80s synth but they did pump out some fantastic themes in ME2 and ME3.
I don't mind the ME2 and 3 music I suppose, but it's just like everything else ME2/3 represents - design for the focus group. People are happy with generic orchestral scores with their science fiction epics, perhaps because of all the Halo that they have played, so they need to have the same kind of music as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good read, good write. For me, my love for the series comes from the sum total of parts relative to other franchises in the medium. Despite gaming's diversity, there's nothing quite like Mass Effect, at its heart beating an oddly comprehensive and robust universe and lore. It may not always come together, and frequently conflicts with its own canon and fumble its potential, but there's an enduring insistence behind the written universe to be something big, important, and memorable.

Each of the three main games embodies certain qualities I think are the best for the series, as well as some which are the worst. And it disappointments me this isn't a case of three distinctly different games where their "worst" are simply not the focus. Each game shifts focus to one component of the entire production, pushing it to a high standard of quality and vision, at the great expense of something else that was also really important. As the credits rolled on each of the three games, I'd catch myself thinking "Man X was so fucking amazing, but what the hell was up with Y?".

But again, the sum total of parts makes each game what it is for me, and why I love the series so. Maybe I'll write a little more later.

Jarmel

Banned
Mass Effect 2 already felt pointless. But the fact that they basically wrote themselves into a corner by allowing everyone to die basically meant they couldn't do anything consequential whatsoever. I feel bad for people who actually romanced Jacob. lol

I actually remember asking a Bioware developer the CES before ME2 came out as to how they were going to handle ME3 if the entire crew could be killed off and he really didn't have an answer due to how many variables that could cause. I remember asking,"So are you going to get a new crew or something?" and it turns out I was right to be worried about that. The suicide mission was definitely a great concept, the problem is that it fucked them over in regards to ME3.
I don't mind the ME2 and 3 music I suppose, but it's just like everything else ME2/3 represents - design for the focus group. People are happy with generic orchestral scores with their science fiction epics, perhaps because of all the Halo that they have played, so they need to have the same kind of music as well.

Say what you will about the other decisions, I have a feeling the switch to orchestral was less about focus testing but more about what Hudson and Wall wanted to do on their own. Sorta like McCreary with Agents of Shield, in that once he got some money, he started using an orchestra.

- J - D -

The level design complaint in particular I don't think you can lodge at ME3. The fights in ME3 take place in some open areas, especially compared to ME1 and ME2. That's something where I felt that Bioware really stepped their game up compared to the prior two games.

I certainly think it's a valid complaint to lodge against ME3 specifically. It is true that there are open in the sense that some N7 missions contain recycled MP maps and integrated them into a suitable mission structure, but in the end it's mostly the same sort of missions you get in that game, only with arena-style encounters.

Otherwise, I'd say the overwhelming majority of missions are very linearly charted corridor runs.

I made this image in the months after ME3 came out, but I still think it's valid today.
r3GYZvB.png

Great write-up, by the way.

Musolf815

Like to video games what Lost is/was to TV.

Jarmel

Banned
I certainly think it's a valid complaint to lodge against ME3 specifically. It is true that there are open in the sense that some N7 missions contain recycled MP maps and integrated them into a suitable mission structure, but in the end it's mostly the same sort of missions you get in that game, only with arena-style encounters.

Otherwise, I'd say the overwhelming majority of missions are very linearly charted corridor runs.

I made this image in the months after ME3 came out, but I still think it's valid today.
r3GYZvB.png

Great write-up, by the way.

You could probably do a similar map with ME2 and it would be just as bad if not worse. Then we have ME1, which was the opposite in regards to space, where there really wasn't any sort of decent level design. They pretty much threw some boxes into a room for cover and that was it.

Thanks.

I had zero problem with Bioware simplifying the RPG elements, because many of them were redundant in terms of the general class gameplay and weren't appropriate for the characters. It didn't hurt that most of the RPG stuff that was cut was abstract number stuff that he average player couldn't even perceive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also yes, I think in the grand scheme of things, there's really nothing quite like the trilogy out there in terms of persistent character saves across three different games. ME2 and ME3 (and even ME1 for its obvious mistakes in retrospect) deserve all the shit they get for narrative fuck-ups, but it's still a pretty bold prospect that held up well enough for people to get attached to Shepard and the supporting cast and enjoy developing them through three different games.

Even though I'm crazy about her, if you play your hand right Tali's character arc across three games is probably the most developed and believable. Her character at the end of Mass Effect 3 is very different from the character at the start of Mass Effect and for logical reasons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I actually remember asking a Bioware developer the CES before ME2 came out as to how they were going to handle ME3 if the entire crew could be killed off and he really didn't have an answer due to how many variables that could cause. I remember asking,"So are you going to get a new crew or something?" and it turns out I was right to be worried about that. The suicide mission was definitely a great concept, the problem is that it fucked them over in regards to ME3.
On the one hand, I think Virmire in ME1 was a very daring choice in terms of game design. You are forced to kill one of your crew members and there's no way out - I called it the Kobayashi Maru of gaming at the time, because I'm an asshole who like(d) Star Trek. I could understand them doubling down and trying to make it so that EVERYONE could potentially die.

But you could already see the seams in their design in ME2. The fact that Kaiden/Ashley was reduced to a 1 scene cameo in ME2 was pretty much a warning sign of what would happen to most of the cast of ME2 in ME3. And since they have all the player metrics, it's clear that they put more time and care into the characters that people liked and left all the other guys with in the proverbial bargain bin of storytelling.

Say what you will about the other decisions, I have a feeling the switch to orchestral was less about focus testing but more about what Hudson and Wall wanted to do on their own. Sorta like McCreary with Agents of Shield, in that once he got some money, he started using an orchestra.
If that's true, then I wish that they didn't get an increased budget because the restraints forced them to make something beautiful!

geomon

I feel bad for people who actually romanced Jacob. lol

This is why Jacob never survives the Suicide Mission any more on my playthroughs. I can't stand what they did to him in ME3.

Even though I'm crazy about her, if you play your hand right Tali's character arc across three games is probably the most developed and believable. Her character at the end of Mass Effect 3 is very different from the character at the start of Mass Effect and for logical reasons.

Absolutely. Her character progression is near flawless and damn is she cute! *hugs pillow tighter*

- J - D -

You could probably do a similar map with ME2 and it would be just as bad if not worse. Then we have ME1, which was the opposite in regards to space, where there really wasn't any sort of decent level design. They pretty much threw some boxes into a room for cover and that was it.

Thanks.

That is true, you could see the beginning of that narrowing in ME2. I didn't mind the barren, open spaces and recycled rooms in ME1. In a way, it kind of fit for me the idea of barren worlds otherwise occupied by small groups of folks in pre-fabricated quarters. Doesn't make combat any more interesting, but ME1's combat system was never great to begin with.

I will give ME3 some credit though -- being able to climb up ledges and ladders lent the illusion of verticality in some missions, especially in the cliff-side archeology site in the Leviathan DLC. I really liked that place.

Serrato

The only good thing with ME3 was Mordin and Wrex final Arc.

The rest... oh my god... ''talk 3 times to Garrus so you can have his special power...''

Wait whattt?

I could not beleive that ending. I was so mad.

Emarv

cool write up. Despite the way the series upset me in each entry, no other series this generation (maybe ever) comes close to this series as a whole.

Jarmel

Banned
Good read, good write. For me, my love for the series comes from the sum total of parts relative to other franchises in the medium. Despite gaming's diversity, there's nothing quite like Mass Effect, at its heart beating an oddly comprehensive and robust universe and lore. It may not always come together, and frequently conflicts with its own canon and fumble its potential, but there's an enduring insistence behind the written universe to be something big, important, and memorable.

Each of the three main games embodies certain qualities I think are the best for the series, as well as some which are the worst. And it disappointments me this isn't a case of three distinctly different games where their "worst" are simply not the focus. Each game shifts focus to one component of the entire production, pushing it to a high standard of quality and vision, at the great expense of something else that was also really important. As the credits rolled on each of the three games, I'd catch myself thinking "Man X was so fucking amazing, but what the hell was up with Y?".

But again, the sum total of parts makes each game what it is for me, and why I love the series so. Maybe I'll write a little more later.

It definitely seemed like for every one thing they tried to fix, they would break something else. They were responding to criticisms of the game but weren't implementing the fixes correctly. It's definitely a trilogy of two steps forward and one step back, just from a gameplay perspective. I'm sure part of that has to do with the time it takes to make these games in that they had been working on this trilogy for most of the decade and so had to incorporate new gaming elements or at least try to keep up. Mass Effect 2 is clearly a response to the popularity of Gears of War for example. It's not like with films, which is a bit more of a static/slower progressing medium.

I'm somewhat frustrated with ME3 because they actually did nail the balance between ME1 and ME2 with Overlord. Overlord should have been the model going forward. Then we get ME3 which just ignores exploration almost altogether.

Victrix

*beard*
ME1 was unique for being a terrible game and a wonderful universe to explore

ME2 was a much better game but much more constrained in its exploration of the universe, and the Cerberus 180 was just plain weird

ME3 was a mess

I absolutely love ME1's soundtrack, and ME2 is perhaps the only game I have ever maxed the gamerscore on without actively going for it (something I don't do for games). I just enjoyed it that much and wound up getting them all over the course of renegade/paragon/high difficulty playthroughs.

Very mixed feelings about the series as a whole. It did not live up to its potential, but at the same time, that's not really fair - the potential of ME is different to every fan, there's no way it could have lived up to the true possibility of branching storylines over three games in any realistic development time with modern graphical demands. Maybe in another format.

Mass Effect is also interesting in that as a whole trilogy experience it is unique for every fan.

I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's definitely a standout trait of the series. Your playthroughs of ME1-3 are not the same as mine - and they're different for everyone based on what paths were taken, and even what DLC was played (ugh).

In spite of the constraints on the actual implications of your actions over the course of the games, they still at least attempted it, and they get props for having a true trilogy where you could play from ME1-3 on the consoles.

Jarmel

Banned
On the one hand, I think Virmire in ME1 was a very daring choice in terms of game design. You are forced to kill one of your crew members and there's no way out - I called it the Kobayashi Maru of gaming at the time, because I'm an asshole who like(d) Star Trek. I could understand them doubling down and trying to make it so that EVERYONE could potentially die.

But you could already see the seams in their design in ME2. The fact that Kaiden/Ashley was reduced to a 1 scene cameo in ME2 was pretty much a warning sign of what would happen to most of the cast of ME2 in ME3. And since they have all the player metrics, it's clear that they put more time and care into the characters that people liked and left all the other guys with in the proverbial bargain bin of storytelling.

I think there's definitely more Bioware could have done, I recently played the Witcher and CDPR did a pretty decent job with divergent choices. It was never going to be what Bioware marketed the trilogy as nor what fans wanted it to be. That said, Bioware also has to commit to allowing significant divergences. They need to accept there were be exclusive content to certain playthroughs and that this will mean shorter playthroughs.

I do think though that nobody is going to be trying something like this,a continuing save state trilogy, because it's just too draining and it locks both the writers and game designers in. The only ones who I think might be able to pull it off would be Bethesda or Rockstar. Bethesda would almost certainly fuck it up and I don't think Rockstar would like being locked into a trilogy.

If that's true, then I wish that they didn't get an increased budget because the restraints forced them to make something beautiful!

Seems like that's always the case.

Off topic but could I please have a link to it if someone has it?

Probably this one.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241367

EatChildren

BioWare is never going to adopt the "significant choices = path/content divergence" policy, I don't think. They're far too dedicated to creating core content that everybody experiences, just the context and presentation of that content differing between players. And I think that's an okay way to do it. It's not exactly what I consider the peak of role playing, but narratives that generally take you to the same places, meet the same people, develop the same way, and end with the same climaxes, but change how the story is told, what is said, how people behave, and so on is fine. That's really the heart of Mass Effect's narrative and why people like "their Shepard". You still get to say what you want to say and treat characters the way you want. Your Shepard's adventure is still yours.

BioWare is just really, really fucking shitty at knowing what narrative divergences and twists are going to conflict with this method of story telling. They take the Witcher 2 approach of inserting really dramatic, significant twists/events that can go one way or the other, yet said events are totally at odds with the company's policy of making everything playable.

Like, they made the entire supporting cast of Mass Effect 2 killable while deliberately ignoring the ramifications it would have on constructing Mass Effect 3. Literally "oh we didn't think about the future, just did it cos it was awesome". And it was awesome. But goddamn. Goddamn. Plan your shit at least beyond this week's whim.

Top Bottom