• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A week without home internet really shows you how addicted you are to it.

CheckMate

I tried going 2 weeks without internet last month, as aimlessly browsing was a huge waste of my time and I can't get any work done.

I didn't get passed day 2. So yeah, I am addicted.

This is why when they said peurto rico won't have power until mid december I felt bad for them.

No net until mid december would be unacceptable. No net for a today is already bad for me.

You indeed get a sense of isolation and we get used to the constant feed of information.

The being alone in silence with your own thoughts is something that we just don't do anymore.

Man the middle ages must of suuuucked.

Parch

Man the middle ages must of suuuucked.
Hard to imagine. Back then a lot of time was spent carrying out chores just to survive. The necessities of life required most of their time. Imagine how fit they would be hand working fields or a soldier spending all day sword training.

An 8 hour a day desk job with weekends off wasn't happening a lot in the middle ages.

mackattk

Internet in and of itself is not an addiction.

Games, websites, apps, etc are.

People snap chatting or using that new Marco Polo app while driving or they can't focus on anything without checking their phone every five minutes is an addiction.

We typically lose it for about a week every couple months here. Shitty service providers and whatnot. Becomes a great time to catch up on reading and writing usually. Really sucks for anyone working from home or taking internet classes though; particularly in the winter when its significantly more difficult to travel to somewhere that has a hotspot...

Phu

Banned
Using the internet as a tool is absolutely the greatest thing about it. The problem is the internet is rarely used only as a tool. There is a massive amount of time wasted accomplishing nothing. It's fine to have some distraction and entertainment enjoyment from the internet, but how many people can actually say the majority of their internet time is used being productive?

Social media is an incredible waste of time and does more harm than good IMO. The other side of the board can convince themselves that video games are actually a good thing, but it's all mostly a worthless, time wasting, unproductive way to spend your life. Denial of internet addiction isn't going to help.

I really wish the internet was used just a production tool instead of what it's mostly used for.

Before the internet people would just do different 'unproductive' things. It's called
leisure

Before the internet people would just do different 'unproductive' things. It's called
leisure

When I was a kid and the Internet was barely a thing, running out of things to do was fatal. Since my parents capped my television use, I regularly reached periods of intense boredom where I would lay on the ground in my bedroom staring at the ceiling.

This occasionally shows up in media like this:

Friend 1: I’m bored, what do you want to do?
Friend 2: I dunno, what do you want to do?

And then they go back and forth until an inciting incident occurs or one of them has a sudden fit of inspiration. But for me, that rarely happened. We would just meander. Walking around, doing nothing, and then somebody would go home because there was nothing to do.

Then the internet happened and we could “play computer” and never be bored again.

Two Words

I'm addicted to seeing.
Why are are you comparing one of your body’s 5 senses to the Internet? That actually seems a bit insulting to those with actual disabilities. If I were a blind person, I wouldn’t want my disability as being made equivalent to losing internet access.

Breads

Banned
Yeah, at this point the internet is arguably a substantial form of contact with the world, so of course we'd find its absence unsettling.

Truth.

As a freelancer and small business owner it's also my primary vector of employment. Thank god for cloud services and android apps that allow me to continue working in tandem with other mobile devices when the internet is down (ex: during a hurricane) because without any access at all I would be absolutely fucked.

Why are are you comparing one of your body's 5 senses to the Internet? That actually seems a bit insulting to those with actual disabilities. If I were a blind person, I wouldn't want my disability as being made equivalent to losing internet access.

Sorry but I cannot relate to your hypothetical. Read above for context. To me internet access is absolutely vital.

Phu

Banned
Why are are you comparing one of your body’s 5 senses to the Internet?

Both your senses and the internet allow you to communicate and interact with the world. I'm talking to you right now from a room in my basement. You can see what I'm typing because we both have the internet.

Armadilo

Banned
Without internet you can't pay attention to what's currently happening, television is too slow and everything else is worthless

Why are are you comparing one of your body’s 5 senses to the Internet? That actually seems a bit insulting to those with actual disabilities. If I were a blind person, I wouldn’t want my disability as being made equivalent to losing internet access.

I think the poster is using hyperbole to illustrate to just how intrinsic the internet has become to our daily lives. It's a bit fair to take it in such a way that it's somehow an insult to disabled people.

Two Words

Truth.

As a freelancer and small business owner it's also my primary vector of employment. Thank god for cloud services and android apps that allow me to continue working in tandem with other mobile devices when the internet is down (ex: during a hurricane) because without any access at all I would be absolutely fucked.

Sorry but I cannot relate to your hypothetical. Read above for context. To me internet access is absolutely vital.

Both your senses and the internet allow you to communicate and interact with the world. I'm talking to you right now from a room in my basement. You can see what I'm typing because we both have the internet.
No, you wouldn’t be absolutely fucked. You’d be in good health still and able to find other means to handle your business, even if they aren’t efficient or good. Going blind is nowhere like your workflow being ruined or not being able to chat with random people alone.

Hard to imagine. Back then a lot of time was spent carrying out chores just to survive. The necessities of life required most of their time. Imagine how fit they would be hand working fields or a soldier spending all day sword training.

An 8 hour a day desk job with weekends off wasn't happening a lot in the middle ages.

Well yes, and no. Hard to work in the darkness. So a lot of the time must of been sat in a barn or some wooden structure, just being cold and squatting around a candle. Maybe making bread or something.

Just hours in darkness. I suppose you get the weekend execution to look at.

Depends what kind of class of life you had. But when it's dark, time for just sitting and reading, the bible? If you're lucky enough to be literate?

I don't know about how fit, but they must of been some seriously hard men.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Last time I had a blackout the first thing I started to do was trying to turn on the pc so I could google what to do during a blackout.

I'm not even kidding.
Literally slapped my hand on my forehead hard after that, too.

Breads

Banned
No, you wouldn’t be absolutely fucked. You’d be in good health still and able to find other means to handle your business, even if they aren’t efficient or good. Going blind is nowhere like your workflow being ruined or not being able to chat with random people alone.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You don't know enough about me to know whether or not I am in good health or whether or not I have a disability and you don't know enough about my work/ business/ skill-set to know how readily capable I would be to find employment elsewhere without internet access.

Figures you're the one who made this thread to begin with. Get a clue/ take the L.

ffdgh

It really isn't a pleasant experience. Having absurdly slow internet that's like dial up is a close second for me lol.

Once my ISP sent a new router and it didnt work and our old one was taken away so we had to wait a few days for them to activate the new router properly.

IT WAS THE WORST. I felt bad for how bad I felt for not having internet. it was pathetic.

I think it was the weekend of the Destiny 1 Alpha as well.

When I first moved into a new apartment I didn’t get internet for a month or so. I couldn’t decide between two different dividers, and besides, I wanted to come to a firm decision on how to arrange furniture so I wouldn’t put the modem in the wrong place and regret it later.

Honestly, it was fine, just annoying. My games work without internet, and I keep movies and TV shows on a hard drive where they are accessible offline.

Fun fact I discovered, if you set up a new macOS machine, don’t connect it to the internet, and transfer previously-purchased Mac App Store apps over from a USB drive, they will work fine. Apple seems to turn off the Apple ID authentication check on machines that are fully offline.

I did have my phone for looking up the occasional thing on Google, so maybe this experience doesn’t count. I couldn’t tether though, at least not without jumping through a crap ton of hoops.

Relevent: Paul Miller, a tech journalist, went a year with no internet access at all as an experiment of sorts, and wrote a series of essays throughout.

Cannot connect to Kindle Store. Failed to connect to PSN.
Unless you somehow got your hands on a prerelease Xbox One (that also connects to PSN somehow), why do you need to connect to the internet to play your games? Unless they’re all online multiplayer only.

Kindle should work fine too.

Top Bottom