• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A woman at work never asks you non-work-related questions and generally shows no interest in having a reciprocal conversation. How do you respond?

Breakage

Let's say you're the new guy at work. You're part of a small team made-up of a couple of guys and girls in an office-like setting. You're not there as much as the rest of the team, but you're there for a significant number of hours. Naturally, being the new guy, you attempt to learn more about your co-workers since you'll be spending many hours with them. You ask common questions to show that you are keen to find out more. You remember all that stuff about how most people love to talk about themselves and how taking an interest in people helps to nurture good relationships.

You attempt to learn more about one of the women you work with. She's single and a few years older than you (late 30s). She's from a cultural background where she would be regarded as being “on the shelf”. Looks-wise she's unlikely to turn heads instantly, but she is not ugly.

So anyway when you both get some down time during the workday, you ask some questions in the hope of learning more about her and her life. The questions are nothing intrusive or suspicious, just general questions you ask when you meet someone new.

Thing is every time you try to have a conversation, you can't help but notice that 1) you're always the one starting the conversation, 2) her answers are often short and closed, and 3) she never asks you any questions or shows any interest in knowing more about you.
She doesn't even lazily reflect your questions back to maintain the appearance of a two-way conversation.

At first, you put it down to the initial awkwardness and hesitation that people often experience when meeting for the first time.Your mind wanders whether she is on the spectrum or if she has some sort of social anxiety disorder. But as the days pass, you realise that her behaviour changes around her customers and co-workers. You notice that she's more than happy to chat and is very curious to learn more about other people, the very opposite of the closed-off woman you're used to.

You also start noticing the little things about her general behaviour towards you, which further reinforce your growing belief that she doesn't like talking to or being around you.
For example, you notice how when she arrives in the morning and says “good morning” to everyone, she barely makes eye contact with you.
Or how she only uses you to help her complete her tasks. Or how when you're both alone, she moves away and stays silent with her head buried in her phone. You've notice that when you ask her a question, she rarely looks up from the phone when answering it.

Taking all these observations into account, you just can't shake the feeling that for some unknown reason this woman simply isn't interested in knowing you.

I got fed up with the way things were and recently decided to say fuck it and minimised my contact with this woman. I no longer say hello or bye when leaving. I make no attempts to start conversations and keep communications work-related (which almost never happens at the moment). I don't even look at her unless I absolutely have to speak to her.

It's unsurprisingly created an unpleasant atmosphere. I've noticed that she barely says anything to me now – she recently went an entire day without saying a single word to me. She skips her lunch order if she knows I'll be buying and picking it up. It's petty stuff like that at the moment. Of course, it's made things difficult, but I really wanted to see what would happen if I dialled back on my contact with her. I just got fed up of being nice and polite despite the bullshit.

I understand that not everyone is gonna like me, and I'm ok with that. The thing is though I have to be around this woman for a significant amount of time. I have no idea why she chooses to behave in such an unlikeable way towards me, especially when there's no real reason or advantage to be gained. I mean I could perhaps understand her behaviour if I were trying to hit on her, but I'm not.

If it were any other setting, I would've ghosted her and wouldn't have given it anymore thought. I absolutely despise one-sided conversations and the accompanying general lack of effort. The problem is I have to be around her so it isn't so straightforward.

How would you guys deal with a woman like the one I've described above? Leaving is not an option at the moment. Would you risk making a complete fool of yourself by repeatedly trying to talk to her despite her lack of interest in you?
Would you continue to be nice, polite and attentive to her (taking this approach was frustrating which was why I recently stopped).

Would you simply reduce your contact with her and not give a shit about how it makes her or your other co-workers feel?

Or perhaps I'm overlooking another way of handling this situation in a way that is more favourable.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome

DESTROYA

Maybe she was going for the job you got and was turned down and now resents you for “taking” her job.

Personally I would just flat out ask her why she is so distant with you, I hate any sort of drama more so if its at work.
You just have to separate work from friend relationships and just suck it up If your going to be there for a while.

Breakage

Maybe she was going for the job you got and was turned down and now resents you for “taking” her job.

Personally I would just flat out ask her why she is so distant with you, I hate any sort of drama more so if its at work.
You just have to separate work from friend relationships and just suck it up If your going to be there for a while.
I don't think it's resentment. She's more valuable to the business than I am. I'm literally the entry-level new guy. I have thought about asking her, but I have a feeling it will only boost her ego, which is why I haven't.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Firstly whats your outcome? What do you hope to achieve?

Secondly, as an approach have you tried asking her for help with something? You'd be surprised how well people generally respond to being seen as knowledgeable by a co-worker. I'd say from what you've said there's clearly tension, so find a reason to ask for her assistance/help/tap into her knowledge expertise and see if that opens up an inroad to a reassessment of you on her part. Don't overplay it, but thank her for her time. After that return to doing the usual civil things and see if there's change in attitude. If that succeeds in making her a bit more agreeable try asking her opinion on something topical that requires an informed response.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
Work hard, become her boss, fire her.

In all seriousness I really don’t see why you care, there are a million reasons she might not want to talk to you, many of which might have nothing to do with you.

Ignore her, pal it up with the other co-workers and live your life.

If her behavior has a direct impact on your work (she doesn’t do her part) start cc’ing your manager on 2nd or 3rd requests and let them know she doesn’t do her work.

If it doesn’t directly impact work then do her the courtesy of leaving her the F alone, since it sounds like that’s what she wants.

No one at work has to be your friend. They just have to work with you.

If you think you offended her in some way, just ask her directly. I'd just do your work and leave it at that.

I make it a point to keep my personal life out of work. I talk to maybe 2 people about stuff, but everyone else it's just work only.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
OP, this is an office, not the kitchen at McDonals. Do your work and stop asking personal questions.

This lady has been there longer than you and a few other employees have earned her trust, but you could be gone in a month, or potentially a slacker, so why bother knowing you?
If you really want to earn her respect, proof yourself with your work. Show you are responsible and disciplined. Then perhaps she’ll become your friend.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I think you just have to accept she's kinda rude and distant, and be the better person. Just be polite and start greeting her again, but otherwise don't change much about your behavior.

Papa

Banned
You've already pinpointed the issue:

> She's single and a few years older than you (late 30s). She's from a cultural background where she would be regarded as being “on the shelf”. Looks-wise she's unlikely to turn heads instantly, but she is not ugly.

Women in current_year have been brainwashed into viewing men as the enemy. If she's late 30s and childless, she likely resents herself for missing her window and is projecting her self-hatred on to you, the enemy. You are the one who is forcing her to live in an oppressive Patriarchy. You are the one who has robbed her of her self-agency. You are the one who has stolen her dreams by forcing her biological clock to cause her to be so neurotic. Of course, we all know that's bollocks, but people infected with the mind virus are not rational.

When I was a fresh graduate working on a mine site many years ago, there was a woman in a much more senior and more important role than me (superintendent level) who was the most bitter, sour-faced cunt I have ever met, even to this day. I didn't know the bird and hadn't spoken a single word to her, but she would give me the stink eye every time we passed in the corridor. Me being an insecure young 20 year old eventually got fed up with it and asked her point blank one day what her problem with me was. She sneered at me, refused to answer, and went and complained to my boss who called me in for a chat. He told me that I'm not the first male that she has had a problem with and that it's a known issue but he couldn't do anything about it because the company was actively looking to hire women and that they wouldn't circumvent their KPIs for something like this.

In hindsight, I was incredibly lucky that my boss was so cool and rational about it, because it really opened my eyes to the nature of the times we are living in. It was kind of my own personal Great Wokening because it wasn't long after that I heard Obama publicly pushing the wage gap lie and it just didn't mesh with my own perceptions. My lived experience, per se. I knew there was absolutely no way that women were being paid less for the same job when management had KPIs to hire women. What kind of manager is going to be underpaying women when they're incentivised to hire as many of them as possible? It's all part of the soft cultural coup that has been waged by feminists for the last several decades, and this woman's attitude is very likely a result of her being convinced that she's oppressed and you're to blame.

Long story short, the best thing you can do is what you've already done: return the could shoulder. Don't speak to her unless you absolutely have to for work purposes, and even then just keep it cold and professional. Never allow yourself to be in a room alone with her and if you do, turn on the recording on your phone. Above all, do not, under any circumstance, confront her about it. I'm not sure what industry you're in, but given the modern culture, she very likely has the upper hand in any HR complaint.

You're the guy on the top.

8fbf6d3b590248e470e80e19d0ffaf9c.jpg

Last edited:
You know you dont have to talk to people just because theyre sitting right there and likewise no one owes you a conversation.

Do you work inside of an elevator? Because you make it seem like your office environment is designed to push awkward silences.

Seriously though. If a complete stranger not sharing personal details about themselves or even pretending to have a non work related conversation at work results in you posting about it on social media....well heres the deal - Get the fuck over yourself.

argh...Good on you for making the effort though i suppose.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
Classic "try to be evasive" tactic.

She is really in to you but she afraid of taking the first step and afraid she will do or say something that will blow her chance with you.
Next time you are alone with her, push her into the corner, grab her ass hard and kiss her over and over.

Trust me.
Agree 100%

Breakage

You've already pinpointed the issue:

> She's single and a few years older than you (late 30s). She's from a cultural background where she would be regarded as being “on the shelf”. Looks-wise she's unlikely to turn heads instantly, but she is not ugly.

Women in current_year have been brainwashed into viewing men as the enemy. If she's late 30s and childless, she likely resents herself for missing her window and is projecting her self-hatred on to you, the enemy. You are the one who is forcing her to live in an oppressive Patriarchy. You are the one who has robbed her of her self-agency. You are the one who has stolen her dreams by forcing her biological clock to cause her to be so neurotic. Of course, we all know that's bollocks, but people infected with the mind virus are not rational.

When I was a fresh graduate working on a mine site many years ago, there was a woman in a much more senior and more important role than me (superintendent level) who was the most bitter, sour-faced cunt I have ever met, even to this day. I didn't know the bird and hadn't spoken a single word to her, but she would give me the stink eye every time we passed in the corridor. Me being an insecure young 20 year old eventually got fed up with it and asked her point blank one day what her problem with me was. She sneered at me, refused to answer, and went and complained to my boss who called me in for a chat. He told me that I'm not the first male that she has had a problem with and that it's a known issue but he couldn't do anything about it because the company was actively looking to hire women and that they wouldn't circumvent their KPIs for something like this.

In hindsight, I was incredibly lucky that my boss was so cool and rational about it, because it really opened my eyes to the nature of the times we are living in. It was kind of my own personal Great Wokening because it wasn't long after that I heard Obama publicly pushing the wage gap lie and it just didn't mesh with my own perceptions. My lived experience, per se. I knew there was absolutely no way that women were being paid less for the same job when management had KPIs to hire women. What kind of manager is going to be underpaying women when they're incentivised to hire as many of them as possible? It's all part of the soft cultural coup that has been waged by feminists for the last several decades, and this woman's attitude is very likely a result of her being convinced that she's oppressed and you're to blame.

Long story short, the best thing you can do is what you've already done: return the could shoulder. Don't speak to her unless you absolutely have to for work purposes, and even then just keep it cold and professional. Never allow yourself to be in a room alone with her and if you do, turn on the recording on your phone. Above all, do not, under any circumstance, confront her about it. I'm not sure what industry you're in, but given the modern culture, she very likely has the upper hand in any HR complaint.
Thanks for the informative post Matt. It's good to know someone understands where I'm coming from. A lot of what you said resonates with my own thoughts on the matter. Your last paragraph is exactly what I've done. I must admit the thought of whether she might cook up some #MeToo style bs as a way of getting me into trouble has crossed my mind, but I'm gonna make sure I don't end up that sort of situation.

You're absolutely right about not confronting her about it. This is something I'm not going to do, moreso because I'm not the one with the problem.
As mentioned in my OP, I've already picked up on the changes in her behaviour since I further reduced my contact with her. You'd think she'd be happier.

It's also funny and unsurprising how some posters presume I'm trying to hit on her. I've already been called obsessive and creepy and someone has enquired about my looks. It makes me laugh. I don't even have her number and it's already been several months. I don't see her in a romantic way (I'm not keen on being with a woman several years older than me).

Breakage

Classic "try to be evasive" tactic.

She is really in to you but she afraid of taking the first step and afraid she will do or say something that will blow her chance with you.
Next time you are alone with her, push her into the corner, grab her ass hard and kiss her over and over.

Trust me.
Nah, I doubt it. I don't think I'm her type. And I've not done anything to signal any sort of romantic interest. Personally, I don't think the "try to be evasive" tactic is a real thing. In my case, I think she just doesn't like me for some unknown reason.

Firstly whats your outcome? What do you hope to achieve?

Secondly, as an approach have you tried asking her for help with something? You'd be surprised how well people generally respond to being seen as knowledgeable by a co-worker. I'd say from what you've said there's clearly tension, so find a reason to ask for her assistance/help/tap into her knowledge expertise and see if that opens up an inroad to a reassessment of you on her part. Don't overplay it, but thank her for her time. After that return to doing the usual civil things and see if there's change in attitude. If that succeeds in making her a bit more agreeable try asking her opinion on something topical that requires an informed response.

Outcome-wise I hoped just to be able to get along and have normal casual conversations. Having to be around someone who barely talks to you for several hours a day fast becomes a miserable experience. If we had hundreds of employees, I wouldn't be bothered, but when you're a small team all the same floor, the awkwardness becomes noticable.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
Take the hint and leave her alone. She might be just Introverted and or may not be interested in work relationships.

haxan7

Banned
Thanks for the informative post Matt. It's good to know someone understands where I'm coming from. A lot of what you said resonates with my own thoughts on the matter. Your last paragraph is exactly what I've done. I must admit the thought of whether she might cook up some #MeToo style bs as a way of getting me into trouble has crossed my mind, but I'm gonna make sure I don't end up that sort of situation.

You're absolutely right about not confronting her about it. This is something I'm not going to do, moreso because I'm not the one with the problem.
As mentioned in my OP, I've already picked up on the changes in her behaviour since I further reduced my contact with her. You'd think she'd be happier.

It's also funny and unsurprising how some posters presume I'm trying to hit on her. I've already been called obsessive and creepy and someone has enquired about my looks. It makes me laugh. I don't even have her number and it's already been several months. I don't see her in a romantic way (I'm not keen on being with a woman several years older than me).
You can choose darkness or light here.

Choose Light.
preview.png

Breakage

Take the hint and leave her alone. She might be just Introverted and or may not be interested in work relationships.
She is definitely not introverted. She is very chatty with customers and her other co-workers, but it changes when I talk to her. I'm not trying to get into a relationship.

Superkewl

Thing is every time you try to have a conversation, you can't help but notice that 1) you're always the one starting the conversation, 2) her answers are often short and closed, and 3) she never asks you any questions or shows any interest in knowing more about you.
She doesn't even lazily reflect your questions back to maintain the appearance of a two-way conversation.

Dude, learn how to take a hint.

OP, She's probably on the Menopause stage and I'd clear the fuck out the way on interacting with her. Keep your work place simple and problem free. In case you have to speak to her, just do it in a professional manner and move on with your work and life. Shit like that would put some unwanted stress that could affect you in the future. BE FREE OP!

TaySan

Banned
And that's why I gave up and no longer bother. I made this thread to see what other people would do if they were in my situation.
That's what I would do after the second time I get treated that way. If she's not interested in putting the effort to getting to know me. Why should I? I only give them the bare minimum contact I need to and move on to people that respect my time and presence.

nush

Gold Member
Dude, learn how to take a hint.

OP's a massive creep he's rejected by women so much that he's internalized it as a woman problem not an "I'm a creepy guy" problem and maybe I should look at my own behaviour. The first thing he describes to us about her is

"She's single and a few years older than you (late 30s). She's from a cultural background where she would be regarded as being “on the shelf”. Looks-wise she's unlikely to turn heads instantly, but she is not ugly."

Really? That's relevant to being friendly with a coworker how? It's not. He thinks because he's Asian and a 30 year old "Leftover man" that he somehow deserves a shot. She wants nothing to do with this "New guy" and being the mature stable guy he is he's now not even giving her basic pleasantries to her as "Punishment".

got fed up with the way things were and recently decided to say fuck it and minimized my contact with this woman. I no longer say hello or bye when leaving. I make no attempts to start conversations and keep communications work-related (which almost never happens at the moment). I don't even look at her unless I absolutely have to speak to her.

This is the mindset of a 30 year old new guy just trying to be "Friendly"with a coworker, if you were a woman would you feel comfortable being friends with this or think "Thank fuck I dodged a bullet"

This is why your single OP, becuse you're a massive ball of bitterness that takes it out on any woman that "Rejects"you. Incel Creep.

Breakage

OP's a massive creep he's rejected by women so much that he's internalized it as a woman problem not an "I'm a creepy guy" problem and maybe I should look at my own behaviour. The first thing he describes to us about her is

"She's single and a few years older than you (late 30s). She's from a cultural background where she would be regarded as being “on the shelf”. Looks-wise she's unlikely to turn heads instantly, but she is not ugly."

Really? That's relevant to being friendly with a coworker how? It's not. He thinks because he's Asian and a 30 year old "Leftover man" that he somehow deserves a shot. She wants nothing to do with this "New guy" and being the mature stable guy he is he's now not even giving her basic pleasantries to her as "Punishment".

got fed up with the way things were and recently decided to say fuck it and minimized my contact with this woman. I no longer say hello or bye when leaving. I make no attempts to start conversations and keep communications work-related (which almost never happens at the moment). I don't even look at her unless I absolutely have to speak to her.

This is the mindset of a 30 year old new guy just trying to be "Friendly"with a coworker, if you were a woman would you feel comfortable being friends with this or think "Thank fuck I dodged a bullet"

This is why your single OP, becuse you're a massive ball of bitterness that takes it out on any woman that "Rejects"you. Incel Creep.
She doesn't wash her hands properly either. Oh and she loves the Daily Mail, too.

Keep projecting but stop bothering me with your bullshit posts. It's getting creepy.

Top Bottom