• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AACS Mandate: PS3 no longer support HD through component| Existing Units Not Affected

I use a 46" 1080i HDTV at my parent's house and it's great. I'm glad I already have the PS3 or I'd be pissed. The analog signal looks excellent on the TV.

Some people are overreacting but I think a lot of people are underestimating how shitty this is. There are a lot of people out there who have a non-HDMI HDTV, not to mention the people who record over analog. I know it's not Sony's fault but I'm kind of shocked to hear this.

Raistlin

okenny said:
Sony seems to be systematically reworking it's past decisions to be cost effective. It's really saying some awesome things about the PS4.

For example:
  • stuff
That's great and all. It would make even more sense in this thread if:
  • In so far as BD, this decision wasn't made well before PS3 launched and a representative from at least 2 Sony sectors weren't present and involved in the voting at that time
  • This change actually lowered costs. What do you think using a lower bandwidth DAC is going to offer a measurable price saving? Hell, it might even cost more - they'll probably use the same DAC.

Blimblim said:
HDCP hates splitters (obviously) so you'd need to have the HDCP part of the signal stripped before going into a splitter.
HDCP hates splitters, and that's why most people use the analog domain for distribution. It doesn't mean there aren't functional ones.

That said, yes doing analog would be the simplest solution and also have the least impact on your setup. You'd really just be adding the HD Fury (or whatever) and some cables.

okenny

Banned
Raistlin said:
That's great and all. It would make even more sense in this thread if:
  • In so far as BD, this decision wasn't made well before PS3 launched and a representative from at least 2 Sony sectors weren't present and involved in the voting at that time
  • This change actually lowered costs. What do you think using a lower bandwidth DAC is going to offer a measurable price saving? Hell, it might even cost more - they'll probably use the same DAC.

Why you censor me bro? ;_;

Not really blaming Sony. Granted I made light of their plight at their expense but the point is the PS3 has been on a diet since before launch and people can claim they don't like fat chicks but boney chicks hurt :(

opticalmace said:
I use a 46" 1080i HDTV at my parent's house and it's great. I'm glad I already have the PS3 or I'd be pissed. The analog signal looks excellent on the TV.

Some people are overreacting but I think a lot of people are underestimating how shitty this is. There are a lot of people out there who have a non-HDMI HDTV, not to mention the people who record over analog. I know it's not Sony's fault but I'm kind of shocked to hear this.
Its not going to affect them though is it, the people who already record or play via component will still be able to record and play Sony arent patching it out of old consoles only the new SKUs.

ram

in germany, HDTVs were introduced only a few years ago and all had HDMI... so yeah, dont care at all...

Raistlin

okenny said:
Why you censor me bro? ;_;

Not really blaming Sony. Granted I made light of their plight at their expense but the point is the PS3 has been on a diet since before launch and people can claim they don't like fat chicks but boney chicks hurt :(
Not trying to censor you, just get the correct info out there.

Piling onto a negative perception with unrelated factors only creates FUD and unwarranted increases in agitation.

TheLegendOfMart said:
Its not going to affect them though is it, the people who already record or play via component will still be able to record and play Sony arent patching it out of old consoles only the new SKUs.
I only mentioned people with non-HDMI HDTVs. I think it sucks for new owners who get shafted.

ymmv

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
What... the... fuck.

I will be pissed if my PS3 ever craps out on me (something not entirely outside the realm of possibilities as I understand it), because I game on a CRT that only has component inputs. This is some bullshit!

picard-facepalm.gif

okenny

Banned
Raistlin said:
Not trying to censor you, just get the correct info out there.

Piling onto a negative perception with unrelated factors only creates FUD and unwarranted increases in agitation.

This isn't a "PS3 has no games!" moment I'm trying to create here. In the long stream of features lost on the PS3 since launch, this stands out as one of thew exceptions where Sony may be seen as a victim; I'm sure it can be argued but regardless, the outcome isn't FUD imo. I suppose it's not the headliner but the relationship isn't contrived.

I do feel I've fallen into the negativity that can permeate topics on GAF every now and then as of late but I've been trying to be conscious of that as well. I honestly just wanted to make a valid point with the same humor I felt when I noticed it. I guess I hope the PS4 can be designed in such a way it doesn't seem like it's loosing features. Sony's had a hard gen and one can't certainly blame them for trying to stay alive; I just wish for more foresight.

Raistlin

okenny said:
This isn't a "PS3 has no games!" moment I'm trying to create here. In the long stream of features lost on the PS3 since launch, this stands out as one of thew exceptions where Sony may be seen as a victim; I'm sure it can be argued but regardless, the outcome isn't FUD imo. I suppose it's not the headliner but the relationship isn't contrived.
Implying it's for cost-cutting reasons or wasn't known pre-launch is what's FUD.

I'm not saying I don't see the parallels though. Just saying we should call a spade a spade ... and this isn't part of the 'long stream of features lost' in the context you were describing.

Barnzini

Neo Member
Can we still game/record with capture cards via component on the new system? From my understanding this new "feature" only applies to AACS copy protected Blu Ray content.

Good to hear. If I were you, though, I'd still pick up a slim PS3 now because the next model coming out will have smaller fans and heatsinks with no new die shrink to match. Meaning it'll be noisier and won't dissipate heat as well, which could be a YLOD risk.

There's still 2013 when analog won't be allowed to carry aacs encrypted content at all. At this point Sony could either block blu-ray over component, or they could remove the component port altogether. I'm hoping it's the former.

And I'm praying Vita has video out somehow..

Top Bottom