• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg on NextBox: E3 is all about the games, "tons of exclusives"

Mrbob

Whoever can figure out how to do a MOBA properly on a console is going to make a lot of money. I just don't see how it happens with a regular controller.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Whoever can figure out how to do a MOBA properly on a console is going to make a lot of money. I just don't see how it happens with a regular controller.

Meh, just nerf it. It's pretty funny actually cause I tried 360 minecraft and thought it was so cool but a little limiting so I bought PC minecraft and I started and they don't give you a map, lol. so lost :(

StuBurns

Banned
As opposed to Move games, Resisntance/Killzone, GT and Uncharted?

Any yawning there?
Yes? Lots of people are burnt on Uncharted and the like, Sony have already killed Resistance.

Both first parties need to bring some new franchises, because they're all too well worn.

I can get excited for the new InFamous, but that's about it for me. The next LBP? Gears? I couldn't possibly find excitement for them.

edeo

As opposed to Move games, Resisntance/Killzone, GT and Uncharted?

Any yawning there?

no

Sony has much better variety. They have to try harder. Uncharted is reason alone.

The only games I cared about exclusive to Xbox for me were Fez and Castle Crashers.

All of MS' exclusives would probably bore me to tears if they continue the trend of current gen.

Kinect games, boring FPS games, racing games, Gears of War....yaaaaaawn.

Totally agree. Their exclusives don't come anywhere near Sony's stuff in terms of quality and output and variety. They need new IP's and hire talented Japanese developers to work on exclusives. Even if they showed CoD Ghosts looking visually better than BF4 next week it would still be boring as hell to watch.

edeo

The only thing that seems to make money anymore is CoD so they've fot that ace in their sleeve.

I miss console JRPGs :(

But what if I like Dance Central? Love it in fact. Dance Central is easily worth Kinect existing.

I feel the same way. Dance Central has been a HUGE hit with my group of friends. It bugs me that so many people here hate on Kinect without actually trying many of its games. Yeah, it looks stupid when you demo it on a stage, but some of its games are really fun if you play them yourself. For example, The Gunstringer, Child of Eden and Leedmees.

Also, if the Durango got LoL as an exclusive that would be a BIG win for them. Personally, I prefer Dota 2, but I totally see the appeal of having a good MOBA on a console. Guardians of Middle Earth is pretty good, but the netcode is just terrible.

Check out Guardians of Middle Earth. They have a pretty well done control scheme. But as I said above, the netcode is just outright terrible, making the game basically unplayable.

LuuKyK

Wow, people are already showing their sides and being aggressive. Wtf. it even feels bad not to have bias towards certain company at this point. You can tell E3 is going to be war. #_#

gillFTR

I would love to not buy an Infinity. Looks like that's not going to be an option. MS is going after exclusives hard.

Sony is working on a couple but they don't have the money to toss around like MS does.

Dont really need to toss the money around when Sony has invested in great first party studios. When it came to the last half of this generation owning a PS3 was a great investment and is still paying. At the same time I still find it weird when people say they made it through this gen without both unless 1 or the others exclusives really never excited you. I know I couldn't live without both and that is why after E3 I will most likely grab both.

Satchel

Banned
Not everyone has to like the same thing as you. I love Uncharted, I hate gears of war. *shrug

Of course your avatar shows your bias ;) /joking

My post history shows my preference. I'm not hiding anything.

I wasn't shitting on those Sony exclusives. At least it wasn't intended to be read that way. But saying MS rehashing the same boring types of exclusives while Sony does almost the exact same thing, genre for genre seems a little hypocritical.

Dont really need to toss the money around when they invested in great first party studios. When it came to the last half of this generation owning a PS3 was a great investment and is still paying.

True, but you could argue that acquiring third party exclusives has equal value to having strong first party stuff - especially considering not many of Sony's I.P sell anywhere near the same numbers as third party franchises. A balance of the two is best.

Klocker

I wasn't shitting on those Sony exclusives. At least it wasn't intended to be read that way. But saying MS rehashing the same boring types of exclusives while Sony does almost the exact same thing, genre for genre seems a little hypocritical.

yea all of it is completely hypocritical.

Karak

Check out Guardians of Middle Earth. They have a pretty well done control scheme. But as I said above, the netcode is just outright terrible, making the game basically unplayable.

G of ME is actually done very well. Aside from netcode wrote for a Sega Saturn Link Kit.

edeo

I just don't want the future of gaming decided by the availability of multiplayer maps for FPS games I don't five a fuuuuuuck about.

I wish Nintendo's weakened console standing would translate into more light-hearted non-shooty games on MS and Sony platforms.

And Sony having more numbers of interesting and/or small games is almost uncontestible by this point. XBLA is a joke lately.

StuBurns

Banned
True, but you could argue that acquiring third party exclusives has equal value to having strong first party stuff - especially considering not many of Sony's I.P sell anywhere near the same numbers as third party franchises. A balance of the two is best.
Money hatting is actually a terrible waste of money. It's only worth doing it if you don't have the time to put together a larger first party.

You have to compensate for the loss of sales on the other system, which could easily cost as much as building a game yourself.

Take for example FF Versus XIII, which is rumoured to now be XV. To stop it being on either Xbox means SE losing at least a million units, which means Sony needing to comp for nearly thirty million dollars. For that you can build an Uncharted and a LittleBigPlanet. And you actually make money from those, you'd make nothing from your moneyhatted game.

gillFTR

Very true. The only thing I could see Microsoft getting as an exclusive is where a publisher doesn't have faith it will put up big sales numbers and go for a quick cashout with Microsoft. Doesn't bother me aslong as the quality of the game is good and in the end a good investment for both companies.

Money hatting is actually a terrible waste of money. It's only worth doing it if you don't have the time to put together a larger first party.

You have to compensate for the loss of sales on the other system, which could easily cost as much as building a game yourself.

Take for example FF Versus XIII, which is rumoured to now be XV. To stop it being on either Xbox means SE losing at least a million units, which means Sony needing to comp for nearly thirty million dollars. For that you can build an Uncharted and a LittleBigPlanet. And you actually make money from those, you'd make nothing from your moneyhatted game.

Getting people to buy is your box is worth far more than an Uncharted or Little Big Planet.

You make the money off every purchase someone makes on that system they picked up for that exclusive game. It can add up in the long run.

aristotle

Just a joke at your expense. No harm meant :) (sounds contradictory doesn't? I'm just sarcastic)

While those weren't good examples that were posted, personally I think Sony's PS3 exclusives were more varied. That's why I sold off my 360 & Wii. Wii U is just retreading (poorly) the wii games I didn't care for. I hope MS has something worth showing @ E3 or I'll just be a 1 console person for the majority of this upcoming gen again. Of course sadly, MS's exclusives are almost always released @ some point on Steam for a much cheaper price so going PS4PC may not be such a bad decision yet again. Let's hope when they say "exclusive" they actually mean it since the EU region seems to be growing pretty quickly for PC gamers.

Even though I'm excited for the MS reveal, I probably won't be able to put any faith into either console until E3. I'm ready to plop some money down already.

Satchel

Banned
Just a joke at your expense. No harm meant :) (sounds contradictory doesn't? I'm just sarcastic)

While those weren't good examples that were posted, personally I think Sony's PS3 exclusives were more varied. That's why I sold off my 360 & Wii. Wii U is just retreading (poorly) the wii games I didn't care for. I hope MS has something worth showing @ E3 or I'll just be a 1 console person for the majority of this upcoming gen again. Of course sadly, MS's exclusives are almost always released @ some point on Steam for a much cheaper price so going PS4PC may not be such a bad decision yet again. Let's hope when they say "exclusive" they actually mean it since the EU region seems to be growing pretty quickly for PC gamers.

Even though I'm excited for the MS reveal, I probably won't be able to put any faith into either console until E3. I'm ready to plop some money down already.

I guess everyone's idea of varied varies greatly. But then, I don't ignore everything MS put out in the first 3 years or so of the 360's life.

StuBurns

Banned
You make the money off every purchase someone makes on that system they picked up for that exclusive game. It can add up in the long run.
Yes, if the exclusive is massively more popular than the potential first party game you didn't build for that cost of the money hat. That's why locking down CoD for a year, for example, would be extremely expensive, but have huge long term value, but it's only games of that magnitude that straight up money hatting seems like it's worth doing.

MS might not even be paying for something like Hawken, Sony aren't paying for The Witness, for example.

gillFTR

I'm in the same boat my 360 is gone and PS3 will be staying for The Last of Us/GT6. I like Sony's vision and I cant wait to see what Microsoft has in store for the future. In the end both will get my money eventually maybe even Day 1 depending on E3. Hell Nintendo got my money with the WiiU, I'm easy.

Karak

Yes, if the exclusive is massively more popular than the potential first party game you didn't build for that cost of the money hat. That's why locking down CoD for a year, for example, would be extremely expensive, but have huge long term value, but it's only games of that magnitude that straight up money hatting seems like it's worth doing.

MS might not even be paying for something like Hawken, Sony aren't paying for The Witness, for example.

Ya publishing is another thing that comes up. Help with development. Many times its not just "cash"

Dance Central was one of the best game series of this generation.

Anyone who dismisses Harmonix games as not "real games" is clueless and sounds like a complete fool to me.

Nobody should have to justify that they like certain games for a platform whether it be tablets, Kinect, smartphones, Wii, Facebook, etc. Every game counts in a world where Minecraft is more popular than Halo on Xbox Live. The people who arbitrarily decide what platforms have legitimate games are functioning at a middle school level of intelligence.

But if those moneyhatted games are what people want then it's worth the investment. I'd say FFXV has more system selling power than another LBP/Uncharted title, so in my mind it'd be a sound investment. I think a lot of people feel the same way about it too.

gillFTR

But if those moneyhatted games are what people want then it's worth the investment. I'd say FFXV has more system selling power than another LBP/Uncharted title, so in my mind it'd be a sound investment. I think a lot of people feel the same way about it too.

With the recent reputation of the FF franchise do you really think it has more selling power than Uncharted?

StuBurns

Banned
Well sales wise, FFXIII on PS3 is around five and a half million, putting it below the combined sales of the last LBP and UC, but yes, that is one example where I think it might be worth it, MGS4 was almost certainly worth it this generation, but I think it only makes sense with games of that cultural importance.

aristotle

I guess everyone's idea of varied varies greatly. But then, I don't ignore everything MS put out in the first 3 years or so of the 360's life.

For me, nothing MS created was worth purchasing a 360 for. That's why I bought one used from a GAF member like 2 years ago. Literally nothing they were making made me say "OMG I have to buy it!" Hopefully they'll pique my interest this time around, but if they rehash the same franchises as this gen, then I don't see a new Xbox purchase in my future anytime soon.

To be fair Sony doesn't really keep doing the same things like MS do with their exclusives. Look at Uncharted, The Last of Us, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Journey, Unfinished Swan. With the exception of Resistance and Killzone sequels the rest of their exclusive stuff has always been unique and refreshing and simply looks like it has had a lot more care and work put into it. This is coming from someone who hardly plays on PS3 apart from its many exclusives so I'm not biased with Sony in any way but even I can see the difference between the two.

As for MS what the hell have they done last three years or so with their core games? They've just been lazy and have been fooling the casuals with Kinect whilst using B rated developers to make their existing IP's. Churning out boring sequels to existing franchises that nobody really asked for. Did we really need Gears Judgment, Fable Journey, another Forza or even Halo 4? It was just a way for them to milk money until they release their next console. At least Sony look like they are trying and putting some effort in at least.

Could the next Dragon Age be Durango exclusive?

I guess it depends on the specifics of the EA deal Microsoft supposedly has. It's the one Bioware franchise I don't associate with Microsoft but you never know. It is strange we haven't seen anything on it, so maybe an exclusive next gen version along with the current gen?

aristotle

With Japan, a new piece of hardware for us crazy enthusiasts, and a new FF, I would have to agree. Even though Japan maybe seem to be a HH country these days, I firmly believe they would jump at the chance for new hardware and a FF exclusive. They gobble both of those things up by the truckload.

Satchel

Banned
To be fair Sony doesn't really keep doing the same things like MS do with their exclusives. Look at Uncharted, The Last of Us, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Journey, Unfinished Swan. With the exception of Resistance and Killzone sequels the rest of their exclusive stuff has always been unique and refreshing and simply looks like it has had a lot more care and work put into it. This is coming from someone who hardly plays on PS3 apart from its many exclusives so I'm not biased with Sony in any way but even I can see the difference between the two.

As for MS what the hell have they done last three years or so with their core games? They've just been lazy and have been fooling the casuals with Kinect whilst using B rated developers to make their existing IP's. Churning out boring sequels to existing franchises that nobody really asked for. Did we really need Gears Judgment, Fable Journey, another Forza or even Halo 4? It was just a way for them to milk money until they release their next console. At least Sony look like they are trying and putting some effort in at least.

So Uncharted doesn't have 4 games if we include Vita? Infamous doesn't have 3?

Viva piñata, Crackdown, Kameo, Splosion Man, etc etc aren't unique?

I don't want to get into list wars, but this myth about the Xbox not having any first party games, or unique titles needs to stop being perpetuated. Timing shouldn't be a factor.

For example, if both consoles have the same umber of exclusives, how does the timing of their release change anything?

Majanew

Banned
Well, if I can't get MechAssault/MechWarrior... I guess Hawken will have to do. Anyone played PC version? Is it any good?

Verendus

Banned
As opposed to Move games, Resisntance/Killzone, GT and Uncharted, Wipeout, Little Big Planet, PS All Stars, Beyond, The Last of Us, Sly 4, LBPKarting, Twisted Metal, Socom, MAG, Starhawk etc?

Any yawning there?
Fixed that for you.

Anyhow, this whole discussion is silly. Some day, you all will realise that your taste in games is subjective, so what you think is a strong line up and what someone else may feel is a strong lineup differs. For one person, three strong games that really appeal to them means more than seven that may not.

Never really understood the whole combat mentality behind this kind of thing.

However, I don't think there's any denying Sony comes out looking strong in respect to the variety of their internal retail lineup this past generation compared to Microsoft. Whether you like the line up, is different matter now. I mean, it's 2013, and you have two big new IP releasing from them, as well as a revisit to old franchises like Sly and sequels to other franchises like God of War and Gran Turismo.

I think what's sad is that XBLA isn't really acknowledged by most people which is where most of the Xboxs strength lies.

Personally, I think MS acknowledges they don't have much variety on the retail side hence the recruiting spree, and what will likely be a renewed effort on their end to provide several different projects for Durango from their various new teams.

StuBurns

Banned
For example, if both consoles have the same umber of exclusives, how does the timing of their release change anything?
Why wouldn't it matter? If MS released thirty exclusives for XB3 day one, then never shipped another title, that would be horrifically bad.

Not that I think that highly of Sony's releases being spread. They had nothing of quality last year at retail. This year they have quite a few I imagine will be very good. It would have been much better to get half of them out last year.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
jRPG exclusives please. The Otaku in me is very excited. :D
I bet Microsoft will cater more the Japanimation than ever before.
Considering they want more 'weird' and 'obscure' games to hit Marketplace.

Top Bottom