• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "there are a lot" of big unannounced Xbox games.

Matt

Maybe Xbox is hard capped at a certain budget per year. Now that the HW is done, budget moves on dev of games. That could explain why Spencer recently mentioned he gave the green light on a few new projects.
I've explained why before, but this logic really doesn't work out to any significant degree.

JaffeLion

Banned
I include every announcement made that year, conference or not.

Here:

DCP9OFaVYAExBnk

damn, so many weird VR titles and wow look at the numbers of remasters.. why are they even listed there? I can play those games on the original console, how is this an "exclusive" title? lol
You should also put then all BC titles that you can play on xbox one and not on PS4 then

I've explained why before, but this logic really doesn't work out to any significant degree.

because you have so many insights in the xbox department, right? do you work for them or so?

Matt

damn, so many weird VR titles and wow look at the numbers of remasters.. why are they even listed there? I can play those games on the original console, how is this an "exclusive" title? lol
You should also put then all BC titles that you can play on xbox one and not on PS4 then

because you have so many insights in the xbox department, right? do you work for them or so?
Yeah, and the industry at large.

It's up to you, the individual to filter out what game announcements matter to you or not.

My list is not exhaustive. By my own count, I have excluded about 50-80 Japanese games that are PC/PS4 and a large amount of BC games.

anothertech

Does MS traditionally ever announce games at Gamescim or TGS?

I don't recall anything significant but could be wrong.

We all know Sony uses PSX at end of year to announce the other half of their lineup usually. So likely more announcements coming and we can expect this, that's really the difference here.

Aaron and Phil are saying 'we have stuff, we're just not telling you'

Sony is saying 'wait till psx, we held some stuff back'

It's a much different message.

The God

Maybe not their "biggest games" per say, but plenty of E3-tier announcements have been at non-E3 events for both Sony and Nintendo.

Yeah, but that's not what I'm saying. The idea is that they showed up nearly empty-handed at E3 so they could have better showings later in the year. I don't buy that.

Does MS traditionally ever announce games at Gamescim or TGS?

I don't recall anything significant but could be wrong.

We all know Sony uses PSX at end of year to announce the other half of their lineup usually. So likely more announcements coming and we can expect this, that's really the difference here.

Aaron and Phil are saying 'we have stuff, we're just not telling you'

Sony is saying 'wait till psx, we held some stuff back'

It's a much different message.
The last major title MS announced at Gamescom was Halo Wars 2 in 2015. MS usually skips TGS.

I'm not sold on the idea that Sony decided to forgo new big game announcements at their biggest stage in favor of other conferences

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong when TGS and PSX get here tho
Sony announced the sequel to one of their biggest IP at PSX. I don't see why that is such a hard pill to swallow.

Also, maybe it is better to save the announcements for later because it gives the games more time to cook and they are announced closer to their release date.

anothertech

You literally stepped yourself into a shit hole lol. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

But yes, you are wrong on all accounts. The games in the list are exactly as stated and bc has no place there. And yes Matt is an industry insider that posts here regularly.

Foot meet mouth.

They're bullshitting. This is blatant damage control. It's unsightly to see a company waste so many opportunities on greed and arrogance.

The God

The last major title MS announced at Gamescom was Halo Wars 2 in 2015. MS usually skips TGS.

Sony announced the sequel to one of their biggest IP at PSX. I don't see why that is such a hard pill to swallow.

Also, maybe it is better to save the announcements for later because it gives the games more time to cook and they are announced closer to their release date.

because it's a pretty sharp turn from the way they've been operating for the past 2 or 3 years

Why would they just now be more concerned about announcing games early?

As soon as that E3 conference finished, I knew the "wait till E3 2018" narrative would be put out there. I have never known a first party like Microsoft, it's a fucking farce to be honest. Gamers shouldn't have to be asking them these things.

SenkiDala

Well, if you think like that, then we remove all the Xbox One games that releases on PC too, which let what, 3 exclusives to the Xbox One? Great.

Wheatly

I'm not sold on the idea that Sony decided to forgo new big game announcements at their biggest stage in favor of other conferences

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong when TGS and PSX get here tho

Why is this hard to believe?

They have big studios that haven't announced what they have been working on yet

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Just keep giving me Gears, Halo and Forza* alongside my multiplats, and I'm good tbh.

*by which I mean PGR

Shin-Ra

Lots of concern trolling up in here.

I said it before, now that MS delivered on their most powerful hardware mantra, I see them moving on to exclusive titles. They've been consistently moving in the right direction and it's obvious where their next move is.

You can quote me on this.
This is my favourite new argument, like the Xbox team are incapable of multitasking.

So when the new games start flowing, the hardware design's going to be weak again.

David___

Banned
because it's a pretty sharp turn from the way they've been operating for the past 2 or 3 years

IIRC Naughty Dog asked for the announcement to be saved for PSX rather than E3. Could be the same for their other teams/partners

This is my favourite new argument, like the Xbox team are incapable of multitasking.

So when the new games start flowing, the hardware design's going to be weak again.

The whole thing doesn't even make sense. Hardware engineers dont make games and game developers dont make the hardware. They always have hardware plans going on so they still shouldnt be able to make games

Rymuth

Yeah, and the industry at large.
Normally, I'd say 'boom' but its easier to fool people than to convince them that they're being fooled.

Mad respect at you for keeping at it, Matt, despite the fanboys trying to continually character assassinate you instead of taking a good hard look at their idols.

Skeeter49

With TLOU2 specifically Neil wanted it to be shown at PSX, he said ND pushed for it.
Is it that hard to believe SP or another first party/ second party would want the same thing? Plus I'm sure Sony didn't know what to expect from PSX the first 2 years. They got a lot of hate from their 2nd year though when literally MLB The Show was the only first party game shown minus Uncharted.

It's appealing to Sony to have a day that's dedicated to just them, rather than sharing the show floor with a bunch of other publishers, including their competitors, last year could have been the test to see how something small like Knack 2 showed, and how something big like TLOU2 showed. We'll know after this year. If they show nothing, Sony's inconsistent as fuck, if they have another big first party showing, at least 2 First Party games, 2 times in a row is a pretty interesting pattern.

I'm sure there's a lot of conflict between what's more important, E3 or PSX, both have their advantages. I don't see Sony having 3 bad conferences in a row, and it's a safe bet TGS will be bad.

Almost everyone besides Sucker Punch has had their reveals
Factually with Sony's studios that ain't even true.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Skeeter49

Studio Japan. Its a big studio working on multiple projects.

Keiichiro Toyama (Gravity Rush, Siren) alread stated his next game is in production.
Also Sony Japan in general makes a lot of games through their external partnerships, like Bloodborne.

Plus we have
Pixel Opus
Sony London confirmed wasn't just working on PSVR World's, which should be common knowledge anyway since they're a pretty big studio.
Manchester Studios.

Leyasu

Banned
You think the money for Minecraft was just an unused part of the Xbox division's budget?

I dont know where it came from, or what had to be sacrificed in order to free up that money. The question was more for you, seeing as you are in every thread talking like you are the authority on all things microsoft.

Skeeter49

You want them to show you games that are three or even more years out?

If most of their games are out by early next year, process of elimination tells us they have to have games 1 year out/ 2 years at worst, so the 3 or 4 years out ones aren't too much of an issue.

Mythos

Yeah, sure... i don't even care anymore. I really hoped, they would kill this E3. New console, a lot of new IPs, but there where no new IPs and i'm kinda sick of hearing "There are, and next year, and this was the best year for xbox, and bla bla bla".

Matt

I dont know where it came from, or what had to be sacrificed in order to free up that money. The question was more for you, seeing as you are in every thread talking like you are the authority on all things microsoft.
Never said that I was. I do have a particular insight into this industry that most here do not, and access to information as such.

Anyway, Minecraft was a strategic acquisition for the whole company, and was paid for as such. The Xbox division doesn't have $2.5 billion spare dollars to spend on anything.

The X likewise would have been funded by a specific line item in their budget. As I said previously there are costs associated with that development, but a huge chunk of that is in the actual manpower being used, and MS isn't just firing all those hardware engineers, and none of them are being redirected to game development. In addition, if MS for the last two years couldn't afford to fund new games because of the X, well A, we won't see the results of this new money for until maybe 2020, and B that speaks very poorly for the Xbox division's available budget. Games are super expensive to make now (especially the kind people seem to want MS to start making), and X addidnal development costs outside of staff wouldn't fund much, even if that is an option.

The "now they can afford to make games!" idea just isn't logical.

Top Bottom