• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "there are a lot" of big unannounced Xbox games.

The God

With TLOU2 specifically Neil wanted it to be shown at PSX, he said ND pushed for it.
Is it that hard to believe SP or another first party/ second party would want the same thing? Plus I'm sure Sony didn't know what to expect from PSX the first 2 years. They got a lot of hate from their 2nd year though when literally MLB The Show was the only first party game shown minus Uncharted.

It's appealing to Sony to have a day that's dedicated to just them, rather than sharing the show floor with a bunch of other publishers, including their competitors, last year could have been the test to see how something small like Knack 2 showed, and how something big like TLOU2 showed. We'll know after this year. If they show nothing, Sony's inconsistent as fuck, if they have another big first party showing, at least 2 First Party games, 2 times in a row is a pretty interesting pattern.

I'm sure there's a lot of conflict between what's more important, E3 or PSX, both have their advantages. I don't see Sony having 3 bad conferences in a row, and it's a safe bet TGS will be bad.

Factually with Sony's studios that ain't even true.
Yes it's hard to believe Sony showed up empty-handed to their biggest stage so they could have a good TGS or PSX. I don't know how else to say it

And if we're talking in the context of "big" studios creating console games, it is true. Not to discredit Manchester or London studios but they're working on VR projects
Studio Japan. Its a big studio working on multiple projects.

Keiichiro Toyama (Gravity Rush, Siren) alread stated his next game is in production.
So one other studio, almost everyone

Anyway, let's not derail this thread. It's about Microsoft. My original point was the "holding back" narrative looks bad on both companies

Shin-Ra

Games development doesn't work like that.

Recore was supposed to release within 10 months of its announcement, ended up delayed another 6 months and was still far from finished.

Necron

I'll believe it when I see it, unfortunately. I still believe that their 1st party development isn't organised or well managed at all. They'll have to show and prove otherwise, so it's wait-and-see. Nobody should give MS the benefit of the doubt considering what has happened over the years.

Skeeter49

Microsoft and Sony follow trends like anyone else.

Bethesda set one with Fallout 4, and pushed it further this year with The Evil Within/ The New Colossus.

If Sony/ Microsoft think they'll get better press by being the first First Party to push multiple 6-9 month window games, they'll do it. TEW and Wolfenstein weren't received as well as Fallout 4, but that doesn't matter since Sony/ Microsoft have Fallout 4 to go off of in terms of reception, and everyone talked about that game when it was revealed, and we learned it released in 5 months.

It seems like Halo 6 will get that treatment, so I don't think that's too much of a stretch for at least Microsoft.

black070

Anyway, let's not derail this thread. It's about Microsoft. My original point was the "holding back" narrative looks bad on both companies

When you have enough announced first party content to coast off until 2019+, why would it look bad ?

When you have enough announced first party content to coast off until 2019+, why would it look bad ?
Because he likes to create false equivalences so people stop saying MS is hugely dropping the ball on the games front.

If we pretend Sony blew their load for the PS4 in the first half of this year and have nothing else, MS's pitiful lineup going forward doesn't look as bad. Ignoring Sony's past behavior of saving major announcements for other conferences lets us think they're done for the year, and because their E3 was "sparse" it's ok that MS's was too.

I mean, why else bring it up in a MS thread?

The God

because they said it after having a show with hardly any new core content?

Because he likes to create false equivalences so people stop saying MS is hugely dropping the ball on the games front.

If we pretend Sony blew their load for the PS4 in the first half of this year and have nothing else, MS's pitiful lineup going forward doesn't look as bad. Ignoring Sony's past behavior of saving major announcements for other conferences lets us think they're done for the year, and because their E3 was "sparse" it's ok that MS's was too.

I mean, why else bring it up in a MS thread?

What lol
I'm not the one that brought it up. and I've been in agreement with the opinion of MS dropping the ball on games for a long time

Leyasu

Banned
Never said that I was. I do have a particular insight into this industry that most here do not, and access to information as such.

Anyway, Minecraft was a strategic acquisition for the whole company, and was paid for as such. The Xbox division doesn't have $2.5 billion spare dollars to spend on anything.

The X likewise would have been funded by a specific line item in their budget. As I said previously there are costs associated with that development, but a huge chunk of that is in the actual manpower being used, and MS isn't just firing all those hardware engineers, and none of them are being redirected to game development. In addition, if MS for the last two years couldn't afford to fund new games because of the X, well A, we won't see the results of this new money for until maybe 2020, and B that speaks very poorly for the Xbox division's available budget. Games are super expensive to make now (especially the kind people seem to want MS to start making), and X addidnal development costs outside of staff wouldn't fund much, even if that is an option.

The "now they can afford to make games!" idea just isn't logical.

Or in a nutshell, the Xbox division is underfunded?

Usual misleading marketing from Microsoft. They know that if they lure someone to buy their new console most people won't make the effort of selling it.

Fredrik

Surprisingly negative thread when we could be exited about what's to come instead. It's great that they have lots of unannounced games but it's not always great to know about everything several years ahead of the release. But oh well keep being negative is that's your style I guess, personally I just hope Rare are working on more than Sea of Thieves, prefferably a new Viva Pinata, I'm playing Viva Pinata with my kids right now and it's so so awesome! Not sure if the original devs are still there though.

Elfstruck

Waah, companies must have big announcements every year. People blame SE for showing games early, now complaining about companies holding back. MS should show concept arts for Halo 7, while Sony should do the same for the next TLOU.

Waah, companies must announce big announcements every year. People blame SE for showing games early, now complaining about companies holding back. MS should show concept arts for Halo 7, while Sony should do the same for TLOU sequel.

All first-party publishers ideally should have the portfolio management to be able to deliver both the a good line-up of game announcements and game releases every year

All companies will have off-years and all companies will face lulls in their line-up, but 2 consecutive years of weak announcement line-ups is not a good sign.

Just as a point of comparison:

Nintendo at this year's E3 alone (excluding Switch event & the 3 Directs they had before) have announced more games than MS had in the past 2 years.

And Nintendo as a company, is undoubtedly the company among the 3 first-party publishers with the least amount of 'emphasis' on E3. They have multiple Directs a year where they have announcements that are at the caliber of their E3-announcements.

daTRUballin

Surprisingly negative thread when we could be exited about what's to come instead. It's great that they have lots of unannounced games but it's not always great to know about everything several years ahead of the release. But oh well keep being negative is that's your style I guess, personally I just hope Rare are working on more than Sea of Thieves, prefferably a new Viva Pinata, I'm playing Viva Pinata with my kids right now and it's so so awesome! Not sure if the original devs are still there though.

Please. No more Viva Piñata. We've had four of those last gen.

Rare needs to return to the classic franchises they've been neglecting all these years. Not Viva Piñata.

black070

because they said it after having a show with hardly any new core content?

That doesn't answer my question at all, why is them holding off on announcements a bad look when they already have enough announced first party content for the next two years (not all of which was even shown at their conference) ?

Nice one, looking forward to seeing what they have cooking.

Xbox hardware is soon to be the best there is, Xbox Live is head and shoulders above the competition and now its onto that third pillar - the games.

Bring it Phil :)

The God

That doesn't answer my question at all, why is them holding off on announcements a bad look when they already have enough announced first party content for the next two years (not all of which was even shown at their conference) ?

That does answer your question. It's damage control. Like what Aaron Greenberg is doing now.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Rare needs to return to the classic franchises they've been neglecting all these years. Not Viva Piñata.

Viva Piñata could be a great money-spinner if they made it a bit more mobile friendly in its controls, and put it on iOS, Android and Switch.

Skeeter49

Yes it's hard to believe Sony showed up empty-handed to their biggest stage so they could have a good TGS or PSX. I don't know how else to say it

And if we're talking in the context of "big" studios creating console games, it is true. Not to discredit Manchester or London studios but they're working on VR projects

E3 is their biggest stage as long as they don't make moves to change the status quo.

PSX could be bigger for Sony than E3, but they have to go all in if they want that.

TGS is a joke for Sony and will always be a joke, this TGS include. 2015 was a fluke.

The big point is it's a not a bad look if one of them follows up with multiple 6 month reveal to releases, because then we appreciate this E3 more, this will be a hindsight type thing, as there's nothing to suggest there'll be reveals like that, besides Halo 6. Microsoft has to have new games since they're not going to go the second half of the year without new reveals, so they have to have more than just Halo 6.

We have enough info to safely say Sony won't do any 6 months reveal to release games, which puts Microsoft at an advantage.

daTRUballin

Viva Piñata could be a great money-spinner if they made it a bit more mobile friendly in its controls, and put it on iOS, Android and Switch.

If Viva Piñata ever makes a return, I'd prefer it to be outsourced to other devs or something. Rare should focus on other things IMO.

Frostman

Nice one, looking forward to seeing what they have cooking.

Xbox hardware is soon to be the best there is, Xbox Live is head and shoulders above the competition and now its onto that third pillar - the games.

Bring it Phil :)

I agree, but the games are the hardest and most important part to nail. We'll have to wait and see but I'm not holding out much hope.

Kayant

damn, so many weird VR titles and wow look at the numbers of remasters.. why are they even listed there? I can play those games on the original console, how is this an "exclusive" title? lol
You should also put then all BC titles that you can play on xbox one and not on PS4 then

because you have so many insights in the xbox department, right? do you work for them or so?
You sure like making silly posts huh.

Also you don't need to be in industry knowledge to find inconsistencies with Phil statement of "working to services and hardware right first". If you take some time to think it don't make any make any logical sense. I.e Why is it they were able to do this multitasking in high days of year 1/2 of XB1 but not now hardware/services needs to be "focused" on before software.

Fredrik

Four, what have I missed, I've only played the original and trouble in paradise??

Shiggy

Four, what have I missed, I've only played the original and trouble in paradise??

I assume he's talking about these four:
Viva Piñata (2006)
Viva Piñata: Party Animals (2007)
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise (2008)
Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise (2008)

zeexlash

Thing about Viva Pinata is there's just so much they could do with it and so many ways they could improve it, it's definitely the series I would like to see them return to.

However, I think Sea of Thieves will be their sole focus for the near future..

peppers

They won't do it, but stating exactly how many big games they have and who's making them would go a long way, honestly. Still, I'm always hopeful, the new Xbox management has delivered in every other aspect of the platform.

E3 is their biggest stage as long as they don't make moves to change the status quo.

PSX could be bigger for Sony than E3, but they have to go all in if they want that.

TGS is a joke for Sony and will always be a joke, this TGS include. 2015 was a fluke.

The big point is it's a not a bad look if one of them follows up with multiple 6 month reveal to releases, because then we appreciate this E3 more, this will be a hindsight type thing, as there's nothing to suggest there'll be reveals like that, besides Halo 6. Microsoft has to have new games since they're not going to go the second half of the year without new reveals, so they have to have more than just Halo 6.

We have enough info to safely say Sony won't do any 6 months reveal to release games, which puts Microsoft at an advantage.

next years' sony show will be a monster. Either SP will show up at PSX or they'll show it next year. By E3 2018, most of the games they've shown this E3 will be out leaving space for everything that will be new IP.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
They won't do it, but stating exactly how many big games they have and who's making them would go a long way, honestly. Still, I'm always hopeful, the new Xbox management has delivered in every other aspect of the platform.

But then stuff gets cancelled, moved around, delayed, and they're in the firing line again.

Fredrik

Viva Piñata (2006)
Oh, those doesn't count, I want a regular Viva Pinata, it's been way too long since the last on. I bet it would look just lovely on XB1 too, the original still looks nice through 360 BC.

Freiya

Once list wars starts quality goes out the window it's like someone putting kz:shadowfall,knack and the order 1886 they pad the list

There's very quality Microsoft games I'd just argue there aren't enough and when boasting about a powerful console for an entire year ppl expect them to bring big guns with it

At least those games are AAA

Fredrik

haha. ha....

ha.
I guess you haven't visited the pro-PC threads here? The majority here don't own a PC and no matter how you try to convince them that PCs are better than consoles they still don't want one. It's just a big "Nope. Not happening." from their point of view. They simply think it's too expensive and there is too much fiddling needed.
So Xbox + PC is totally MS exclusives in every way of the word and the majority here will think of an Xbox+PC exclusive just like an exclusive on any other platform they don't own - as in a game they can't ever play unless they invest in a platform they don't want.

peppers

But then stuff gets cancelled, moved around, delayed, and they're in the firing line again.

Yes, it sure is a tough position to be in, but last E3 Shannon Loftis did casually mention that they had like 14 upcoming games not counting first party, which gave us an idea about what to expect from this E3.
Come E3 2018, they should have released State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves, which means they will have exactly zero announced games for the following year.
That being said, the lineup for the next 12 months looks amazing, from Tacoma and Cuphead to Sea of Thieves (hopefully), so maybe it ends up being ok not showing stuff.

daTRUballin

Viva Piñata (2006)

Yeah, these were what I was referring to. In addition to the two games Rare made on the 360, they also made a DS game and then there was that weird Party Animals spinoff game which wasn't even made by Rare.

I think Viva Piñata got plenty of attention from Rare last gen. I just think Rare should set their sights on other more interesting franchises from their catalogue after SoT....

meirl

Banned
I guess you haven't visited the pro-PC threads here? The majority here don't own a PC and no matter how you try to convince them that PCs are better than consoles they still don't want one. It's just a big "Nope. Not happening." from their point of view. They simply think it's too expensive and there is too much fiddling needed.
So Xbox + PC is totally MS exclusives in every way of the word and the majority here will think of an Xbox+PC exclusive just like an exclusive on any other platform they don't own - as in a game they can't ever play unless they invest in a platform they don't want.

again, what do you need to Play PC games? Oh Windows. who developed and sells Windows... Oh Microsoft. same company that sells XBOX... also there are games only on UWP and distributed through Windows Store... so.. even more Money for MS.

Yes, it sure is a tough position to be in, but last E3 Shannon Loftis did casually mention that they had like 14 upcoming games not counting first party, which gave us an idea about what to expect from this E3.
Come E3 2018, they should have released State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves, which means they will have exactly zero announced games for the following year.
That being said, the lineup for the next 12 months looks amazing, from Tacoma and Cuphead to Sea of Thieves (hopefully), so maybe it ends up being ok not showing stuff.

Announced:
1. ReCore
2. Crackdown 3
3. State of Decay 2
4. Killer Instinct ( continuous )
5. Scalebound
6. Phantom Dust HD
7. Ori & the Will of the Wisp
8. Super Luckey's Tale
9. Age of Empires Definitive Edition

Unannounced:
10. Studio Gobo Game
11. Unknown
12. Unknown
13. Unknown
14. Unknown

Speculative:
15+. Unknown quantities of game publishing deals signed between E3 2016-17

Plasma

Banned
I don't doubt they have big games in development The Coalition, 343 and Playground are all working on something it's just a question of when those games are actually coming out.

Swass

carrotstick.jpg

Aaron Greenberg: "there are a lot" of big unannounced Xbox games....that aren't far enough along to cancel yet stay tuned.

I just don't see enough good reasons to buy into Xbox when my PC and PS4 Pro cover all my gaming needs.

Top Bottom