• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Unity Patch 4 is now rolling out

All I wanted was better frame rate and it sounds like I got it. I could have stomached the original frame rate so this should be nice.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Enjoy the AC Victory pre-alpha. With the way things have been going for Ubi this year, I wouldn't even be surprised anymore.

Before XBO Patch 4:

assassin_s_creed_unity___wallpaper_arno_paris__2_by_zeioh-d7ouzrl.jpg

After XBO Patch 4:

assassins-creed-victory-kotaku.jpg
A CGI render would turn into in-game graphics?

thelastword

Banned
Never going to happen. They're finding it hard to get Unity to hit 30fps as it is. If they bump the res we'll be back to square one again.
I have not seen one game on the PS4 that shouldn't be 1080p, not UFC with it's wasteful 4xmsaa and blur, not Nhl with it's blur, not watchdogs where GTA5 looks much better.

I can probably take a gamble on BF4, since it was a rushed game and was at least 60fps, that much is true since it had a myriad of problems at launch. Yet, I have not purchased it since launch and won't now. Even then, the next BF game is rumored to be at 1080p 60fps which puts things in perspective.

I personally believe that battlefield is doing more with A.I and physics than ACU ever could, but even then, Ubi agreed that their game is not cpu bound, so I guess we will wait and see how the amazing Ai and npc count was reduced in this game for a better frame-rate. Let's hear what DF and Nxgamer have to say on this patch.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I personally believe that battlefield is doing more with A.I and physics than ACU ever could, but even then, Ubi agreed that their game is not cpu bound, so I guess we will wait and see how the amazing Ai and npc count was reduced in this game for a better frame-rate. Let's hear what DF and Nxgamer have to say on this patch.
You're gonna have to elaborate on how BF4, a crossgen shooter, is doing more with AI than an open world sandbox game. Physics yes since Unity shines more in realistic cloth and hair simulation over object physics.

SRTtoZ

Gonna wait for an actual framerate analysis instead of 'seems smoother'. I remember people said The Evil Within was way smoother on XBO only to find out its not :/

winstano

Wow. Just launched AC:U for the first time since downloading the patch and my PS4 completely hard-locked. Had to pull the power cable, literally nothing else was working.

WinterX

Banned
Gonna wait for an actual framerate analysis instead of 'seems smoother'. I remember people said The Evil Within was way smoother on XBO only to find out its not :/
Definitely its not 30 fps whole time. DF will have to agree with that.

Wow. Just launched AC:U for the first time since downloading the patch and my PS4 completely hard-locked. Had to pull the power cable, literally nothing else was working.

I messed up my PS4 by pulling the power cable while it was still on thinking there was no other way. Had to call Sony for a replacement console. Hold down the power button for as long as it takes next time, it always shuts down that way, just got to be patient.

sangreal

isn't the actual client itself near 40GB? wonder if they're making us download the whole thing again :S

Yes, and hilariously giant patches are common on xbone though this may be a record breaker. KI is also getting a patch tomorrow that requires redownloading the entire game

It's something weird with the way they package games

Alchemist

I just started playing this last night and the pop-in absolutely disgusting. It's impossible for me to not notice it because happens so damn frequently.

Post patch, the frame rate feels smooth. A lot better than yesterday from what I remember but it could just be a placebo.

v0mitg0d

PS4 owners!

Does the game, particularly when you're looking at the protagonist, look a little more fuzzy? It's like some form of AA was removed?

eso76

So, it (maybe) improves frame rate, but what does refurbished Paris look like now ? Same or worse ?

Can someone tell me how much does the controlled descent differ from the original e3 demo?
It looked so cool but heard its been downscaled a bit

Elios83

So how big is the improvement in terms for framerate?

On PS4 the improvement is noticeable, I've tried to slalom quickly in the streets and in the corridors of the big palaces and you can feel that the movements are smooth, actually you can perceive the heavy and a bit laggy controls, something that you couldn't before.
I'd not say that it's rock solid 30fps but it's much better than 25fps with frequent dips to 20fps as before.
In the end it took just a month of extra work.....

PS4 owners!

Does the game, particularly when you're looking at the protagonist, look a little more fuzzy? It's like some form of AA was removed?

Removing AA shouldn't make the game fuzzy, but adding certain types of AA might... removing it may give sharp edges and "aliasing" but shouldn't blur the image, that would either be the upscaling or a different AA solution.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can someone tell me how much does the controlled descent differ from the original e3 demo?
It looked so cool but heard its been downscaled a bit
See all the poles in the E3 video that he jumps on and swings from etc, well they aren't even there in the real game.
That kinda descent is possible, the animations and moves are there but they seem to removed all the poles, ledges on the buildings etc to make it possible.

Sami+

Might buy it in that case... I wanted this setting to be awesome.
How cloned are the npc-s?

Extremely. It's a very average game, honestly. I'd only recommend it if you're really into this kind of game.

A bunch of people said that if the performance was fixed it'd be the best one, but I really don't feel that way at all. It's better than AC3 but it's very run-of-the-mill.

My patch impressions on PS4 are:

- General improvements are okay. Sluggish movement should still eliminate pop-in, which hasn't happened.
- Clothing pop-in still happening.
- Framerate performance doesn't have big drops.
- I still have lighting bugs in the main Café.

Verdict:

- If you have finished the game, don't go back. It's done. They're not serious about improvements.
- If you're thinking of jumping in, it mostly works now and should stand up as a 8/10 AC game. Performance is not the major showstopping problem it was a month ago.

Wishlist:

- Revert all Initiates chests to unlockable.
- Fix Initiates this week fully, or get rid of Initiates.
- Revert all Companion app chests to unlockable.
- Actually get serious about making this game work on the most powerful console the market has, please.

Extremely. It's a very average game, honestly. I'd only recommend it if you're really into this kind of game.

A bunch of people said that if the performance was fixed it'd be the best one, but I really don't feel that way at all. It's better than AC3 but it's very run-of-the-mill.

Did you play AC4? That was the first AC game I played and I loved it except the annoying instant fail during tailing/stealth missions which I heard they fixed.

Would I like this one?

WinterX

Banned
So, verdict: worth it now on Ps4?
Not worth even with 60 fps for full price. The main character is a total shit after really good Edward. This Arno guy thinks there is only one pussy in the world. Its a sillt love story not even a real AC. Ezio is the best protagonist so far.

SRTtoZ

Okay, thanx. That's still silly to me. As in: less npc-s is better kinda thing.

The game is not a bad game, but to me its also not a good game, especially if you have the AC fatigue syndrome. If you like the AC gameplay and setting, go for it, but if you expect this to reinvent anything in the series you will be VERY disappointed.

Top Bottom