• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Pater's Japanese VA, Armored Core VI has sold 2.8 million copies worldwide to date

Rusty's VA had Ryō Shimokawa as a guest on a livestream and he mentioned From Software told him the above two days ago.

Needless to say this is by far the best sales performance for any Armored Core Game to date. None of the previous titles were reported as selling anywhere close to a million, with the top performers (AC2 and AC3) being maybe close to 500k worldwide if one is very generous with their incomplete western sales data.

Crayon

If you've played the game, that's pretty huge. It's hard as balls and has such a cold and detached tone even compared to souls. Way different game altogether from souls. To me, the range of gameplay between souls games is not terribly different. Even bloodborne is not a world apart. The nighmare clusterfuck AC6 puts out might shock some people buying it on the FROM label alone. The cadence is way different. Controling the ac and 4 weapons is a handfull to say the least. And worth mentioning again - I find it hard as hell.

This is the only From Software game I haven't played yet this gen. Is it worth it?

It's absolutely stunning largely do to the balance of the gameplay and the parts collecting. Overall enjoyment of the game is going to depend a lot on how much you get sucked into the subtly balanced customization. I would tell anyone with the means to try it out that they should, but warn they could just as easily hate it.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
For a mech game that nobody heard about until this one came and never sold that much, thats pretty impressive.

this game/series is out seriously of my wheelhouse (as was sekiro), but i'm always glad seeing from succeed. no game developer deserves to succeed more...

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Really deserves way more. Absolutely the best mech game ever, and an amazing FS title.

I flip flop between this and Lies of P as my GOTY everyday.

Crayon

Kings Field VR

That would take quite a bit of work (i think?) to bring up to modern expectations. Then again, vr games can easily get away with being smaller and less dense than flat games thanks to the more mundane parts of inhabiting a place being more stimulating and taking longer. If you are the type who spends a minute in a new room checking out details that most would walk right by, you are going to spend five minutes looking around the same space in vr.

So kings field vr? Hell yeah. Can't wait to bump into that big squid in the first 30 minutes and take in how big it is before turning around and going the other way.

phant0m

Might seem like a "small" number for a From Software title, but must be absolutely huge for the series.

From Software should bring more games back from their past. They are the best of Japanese games.
I’m open for any developer to bring something to PlayStation that’s not an open world checklist, souls clone or walking simulator

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

That would take quite a bit of work (i think?) to bring up to modern expectations. Then again, vr games can easily get away with being smaller and less dense than flat games thanks to the more mundane parts of inhabiting a place being more stimulating and taking longer. If you are the type who spends a minute in a new room checking out details that most would walk right by, you are going to spend five minutes looking around the same space in vr.

So kings field vr? Hell yeah. Can't wait to bump into that big squid in the first 30 minutes and take in how big it is before turning around and going the other way.
For sure, think it will suit VR naturally.
Lets do it lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope this means FROM continues make Armored core games, I almost give up FROM will make another AC games, I'm glad to series is back.....there is no game like AC even among other Mecha games.

Kindjal

I've just finished it for the first time today, now playing my second playthrough in order to get the 2nd and 3rd ending.

I think it is just fantastic, with some really hard missions, but (for me) it never felt like the game was cheating me when I died. It always had to do with how I screwed up when dealing with enemies or when choosing a loadout for a mission.

When I reached the last boss, I wasn't being able to deal a decent amount of damage, so I completely changed the build and focus of my AC, using some weapons that I hadn't even considered during the rest of the game, and I was able to beat the last boss within 2 attempts (the first one I left it with a sliver of health).

I really hope that this new found success for the AC series sparks the interest in new fans and allows the IP to grow and expand.
This is my first AC and I'll be sure to come back to the series when the next iteration arrives.

Vyse

Gold Member
That’s really cool. Happy to hear. They had a really big advertisement here in Vegas on the strip. Can’t wait to try it once my backlog quiets down.

Great to hear. The gameplay is top-notch and quite possibly the best From has put out. Only thing that can compete is Sekiro, and that's on the entire opposite side of the spectrum of laser-focused combat vs build-variety. The speed of engagements is probably my favorite aspect of both.

MrA

I was hoping for a bit closer to 2/3s the rate of dark souls 3, but given this is a series that as far as I can tell peaked at 1 million units in a genre thats not terribly popular (for reasons I don't get but thats neither here more therel
so I'd say excellent growth,
Maybe they'll give tenchu another go at some point

If you've played the game, that's pretty huge. It's hard as balls and has such a cold and detached tone even compared to souls. Way different game altogether from souls. To me, the range of gameplay between souls games is not terribly different. Even bloodborne is not a world apart. The nighmare clusterfuck AC6 puts out might shock some people buying it on the FROM label alone. The cadence is way different. Controling the ac and 4 weapons is a handfull to say the least. And worth mentioning again - I find it hard as hell.

It's absolutely stunning largely do to the balance of the gameplay and the parts collecting. Overall enjoyment of the game is going to depend a lot on how much you get sucked into the subtly balanced customization. I would tell anyone with the means to try it out that they should, but warn they could just as easily hate it.
Yeah not enough is said about the atmosphere imo. It’s so sterile and aloof. And not ever seeing the characters just adds to that. It’s amazing but sometimes it’s just too chilly to get into. I went back to Elden Ring this week and it feels so warm and inviting now lol.

Do we know how much it costs FROM to make a game?
It's hard to say tbh, but I did find this PC Gamer article that says that just 300 devs worked on both AC6 and Elden Ring. Presumably most of the staff had worked on Elden Ring consider the bigger scope of the game, while a smaller team worked on AC6. Game dev salaries in Japan are also considerably lower than in the US and probably lower than in some parts of Western Europe like UK and Netherlands. So if we assume a team of 100 devs have been working on it since 2019 when they shipped Sekiro with an avg salary of $52k per year (The estimated total pay for a Game Developer is ¥7,678,992 per year in the Japan area) that will get us around ~$21M. Let's add an additional $10M for outsourcing some of the work (e.g. asset creation & CGI trailers) to some JP & SEA studios, that would result in a $30M production budget. That said, I'm not sure how big the marketing budget was but overall I'm sure that they got some very good ROI with AC6.

Edit: They did mention that at peak times they had up to 200, 230 developers working on Armored Core 6, so let's consider that this period lasted for around 2 years (probably it was shorter than that as Elden Ring shipped in Feb 2022 while AC6 released in Aug 2023). Taking that into account the numbers change a bit, with an additional $13M expense being added to the production budget I've mentioned above, resulting in a $43M total dev cost for the game..

Last edited:

Embearded

It's hard to say tbh, but I did find this PC Gamer article that says that just 300 devs worked on both AC6 and Elden Ring. Presumably most of the staff had worked on Elden Ring consider the bigger scope of the game, while a smaller team worked on AC6. Game dev salaries in Japan are also considerably lower than in the US and probably lower than in some parts of Western Europe like UK and Netherlands. So if we assume a team of 100 devs have been working on it since 2019 when they shipped Sekiro with an avg salary of $52k per year (The estimated total pay for a Game Developer is ¥7,678,992 per year in the Japan area) that will get us around ~$21M. Let's add an additional $10M for outsourcing some of the work (e.g. asset creation & CGI trailers) to some JP & SEA studios, that would result in a $30M production budget. That said, I'm not sure how big the marketing budget was but overall I'm sure that they got some very good ROI with AC6.

Edit: They did mention that at peak times they had up to 200, 230 developers working on Armored Core 6, so let's consider that this period lasted for around 2 years (probably it was shorter than that as Elden Ring shipped in Feb 2022 while AC6 released in Aug 2023). Taking that into account the numbers change a bit, with an additional $13M expense being added to the production budget I've mentioned above, resulting in a $43M total dev cost for the game..
Thanks for the reply.

They must have made good profit very fast with both ER and AC6.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
PS2 era game design belongs in the PS2 era. ACVI is a reanimated corpse of a game.

I wonder how they view 2.8m sales considering its budget.

Last edited:

Lupin25

That’s actually a huge milestone only what.. A month and a half out since release?

FromSoft is killing it.

mortal

Gold Member
Hope more new people discover this excellent game over the coming years.
One of my favorites of this year, top 3 easily.

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
That's actually a bit disappointing for modern AAA standards, and I don't see why they're comparing it to sales from multiple generations ago.

Top Bottom