• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accounts that have spent less than $5 on Steam now have limited access

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I really do appreciate the offer, but as I said I don't want to be taking money from others just to talk to my friends. I'm tired of feeling like I have little control over my life and I hate having to resort to asking others for help.

Fortunately, I know one friend that has my cell number so they can probably give to the other people in our group.

Fair enough, but you're not asking for help I'm offering it because I remember when I was in your shoes and this would've pissed me off too. Offer still stands but I understand if you don't want it.

Guri

Not my case, but I wonder if Steam Wallet money counts. If you sell cards, you can get to US$ 5 and buy something. You never actually spend real money from your income.

M3d10n

I really do appreciate the offer, but as I said I don't want to be taking money from others just to talk to my friends. I'm tired of feeling like I have little control over my life and I hate having to resort to asking others for help.

Fortunately, I know one friend that has my cell number so they can probably give to the other people in our group.

Dude, you can still chat with your friends using the Steam client.

All of the people that are saying they don't know if they qualify for it because of third party keys, I have to ask, you all have never bought a single game on steam during one of the big holiday and seasonal sales?

When even AAA games can be 75%+ off?
Legitimately not sure. I don't really care that much for AAA games so it has never mattered how cheap they get. I've browsed through the steam sales but not sure if I ever bought anything. It is possible I have.

Not my case, but I wonder if Steam Wallet money counts. If you sell cards, you can get to US$ 5 and buy something. You never actually spend real money from your income.

You can't sell things on the marketplace if you haven't bought anything though.

Dude, you can still chat with your friends using the Steam client.

But you can't chat with them on mobile is the thing. That's a whole different thing though where if you're paying for a data plan to use online so you can chat using the steam client...well, you obviously have some disposable income somewhere.

Guri

It counts if you use steam cards to put in cash to your wallet, it's right in the OP.

You can't sell things on the marketplace if you haven't bought anything though.

But you can't chat with them on mobile is the thing. That's a whole different thing though where if you're paying for a data plan to use online so you can chat using the steam client...well, you obviously have some disposable income somewhere.

Somehow I missed that one.

Anyway, I understand why some people are upset, but I think it's a good choice. And who knows? Maybe in the future you will find a game that you can have fun by paying 5 dollars.

Momentary

Banned
This isn't even a sub fee... you just buy a damn game and you're done. Don't see what the hell people are bitching about. I guess some people just want to stay angry over something.

Krakn3Dfx

This is great, I get half a dozen friend requests from spam accounts a week, so if this cuts that out, it's totally worth it.

People who outraged by this must've never received 5 invites from [Unassigned]

"Oh look! I got an invite..."

<Player Level 0>

*block*

"Oh look! I got an invite..."

<Player Level 0>

*block*

"STOP SPAMMING ME!"

To be honest, I have no clue what happens if I accept. Do they try to sell me bullshit?

Also, I feel sorry for anyone who has a Bill's Hat for TF2. You get bugged all the fucking time by idiots.

Aselith

Thanks, Valve! I went without logging onto Steam for about a week recently and came back to 17 friend requests. I'm a popular guy!

MUnited83

For you.
This is shitty as fuck.

Ah, "fuck you I've got mine"

Care to tell why? Because the limitations listed here don't really affect the people that some claims this affects. A guy who only plays F2P has no use for 95% of the features listed here. And they still have access to the Steam chat, just not on the website or on mobile(and you know, there's several hundred programs on mobile and websites that allow you to chat with your friends anyways)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, "fuck you I've got mine"
We're talking about an online video games store. Of course it will cater to the users who are paying, what else would you expect? To Valve, non-paying customers are worthless, especially if they already decided they aren't going to buy games on Steam, no matter what. Also, you're forgetting that this is not a for-profit measure, but a much needed one to combat the ever increasing scam and phishing attempts.

Besides, if you're on a phone you have other means of communication, such as WhatsApp, Facebook, text messages or even phone calls. If you have access to the Steam app, you also have access to the first two.

This seems to be an extremely remote edge case: no games bought through the Steam store (or the price of all of them combined amounts to less than $5), no spare money to reach $5 total spent on Steam, no means of communication with friends other than Steam chat, and the need to talk to them via cell phone or web browser (the web chat will also require a full access account) instead of through the desktop Steam client. I'm pulling numbers out of my ass here, but I'd bet those who meet all 4 conditions are less than 0.1% of all Steam users.

Whatever helps with dealing with spam...I guess. I've been lucky enough not to get those types of messages.

Probably not the best solution (especially for those who buy from other sites), but even then $5 is nothing these days.

Most if not all of my Steam friends have already spent far more than $5 on Steam games they've never even played (and honestly, may never actually play.) That's how trivial the $5 is. Valve knows what they're doing.

As a person who kept getting random friend requests by private profiles or spambots every few days I am glad to finally see this happening.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A business has to prove to the consumer that they deserve it. I have no use for Steam other than playing tf2.

That's apparently false, given that you're complaining that you can't use Steam to chat with your friends thanks to this change. So you do have a use for Steam other than playing TF2: chatting on your phone and browser. And that's now paywalled. Which is why you're angry. The mere fact of your anger suggests there's value in the service they're locking behind a paywall, which is in turn how they're justifying the paywall.

Koh

My grandma could find something she would enjoy on steam for $5. I don't think this is outrageous at all.

Furyous

What's a good game for me to buy on Steam for $5+ that can run smooth to flawlessly on a retina macbook pro 13 (2014) with integrated graphics?

I have a steam account but barely use it. My computer is not up to par by PC gaming standards.

People are crazy acting like this is some kind of ripoff

They aren't charging you 5 bucks to unlock those features, they are locking those features for anyone who never spent a dime on steam (aka 99.999 percent botters, scammers and people with alt accounts used to cheat or idle for drops)

This is something they should have done years ago.

It doesn't lock you out of playing any games, it doesn't pose any arbitrary restrictions. The only thing it's for is to try n stop the spammers, bots and phishers.
There's literally a million ways valve could rip people off , but this is not one.
This can get rid of hundreds of thousands of bot/scam accounts while not affecting regular users.

I don't even understand how anyone can use steam regularly yet somehow never spent a single euro.
Even if all you play is valve's f2p games you'll have made like a 50bucks in drops by now that you 'd have spent on the steam store.

And even if you've somehow never spent a cent, well tough shit now you have to pay 5 euros to buy a game (oh the horror) so the other 99 percent of users can use steam without a million spammers , bots and phishers shitting up the steam community features.

Aselith

Why are people upset? Steam is a STOREFRONT. You go to stores to BUY STUFF

I picture these people complaining about the five bucks as the guys that sit on the floor in bookstores reading manga.

tumblr_lxhuz2gXTP1r6hhqro1_500.jpg

This seems to be an extremely remote edge case: no games bought through the Steam store (or the price of all of them combined amounts to less than $5), no spare money to reach $5 total spent on Steam, no means of communication with friends other than Steam chat, and the need to talk to them via cell phone or web browser (the web chat will also require a full access account) instead of through the desktop Steam client. I'm pulling numbers out of my ass here, but I'd bet those who meet all 4 conditions are less than 0.1% of all Steam users.

Just the first two points make the pool of affected people so small as to make the controversy absurd. The notion that such a low threshold is a burden for someone who plays games extensively on PC is ridiculous outside of a small handful of hair-splitting cases.

I picture these people complaining about the five bucks as the guys that sit on the floor in bookstores reading manga.
Maybe if it's at a bookstore where you're not allowed to take books out of the building, even if you've purchased them.

The complaints are the people at the bookstore who sit in the cafe and use free wi-fi but have never spent a dime on books or coffee.

Out of interest, This is just a trading/inventory thing right?

I have never had a spam friend request in like 10 years.

Probably, even though my inventory is private. I run a semi populated Steam group and have a greenlight collection in the top #13 space so random invites come from all sources really.

If I hadn't been browsing the GAF Steam threads off and on since their inception I wouldn't be aware of the Spambots and I've been using Steam since the old DoD1.3/CS1.6 WON servers were shut down and I was forced to use Steam if I wanted to continue to play either game. Is this apparent epidemic of bots related to your profile privacy settings?

Aselith

Maybe if it's at a bookstore where you're not allowed to take books out of the building, even if you've purchased them.

The complaints are the people at the bookstore who sit in the cafe and use free wi-fi but have never spent a dime on books or coffee.

You have to play the games at Valve HQ, do ya?

Orca

My account was dropped to limited access because I haven't bought anything off the store in a year. Kind of a bullshit move, forcing you to buy something to be able to do basic things even when you've been a member for years.

Gr8one

What's a good game for me to buy on Steam for $5+ that can run smooth to flawlessly on a retina macbook pro 13 (2014) with integrated graphics?

I have a steam account but barely use it. My computer is not up to par by PC gaming standards.

Not sure what kind of games you are into but Binding of Issac is awesome, runs on mac and is $5 (i'm in CDN$ so it might not be exactly $5).

Aselith

My account was dropped to limited access because I haven't bought anything off the store in a year. Kind of a bullshit move, forcing you to buy something to be able to do basic things even when you've been a member for years.

Yeah, that's not too cool if it times out on you.

MUnited83

For you.

Pretty sure that limitation has nothing to do with this one, and a 20 cents purchase would lift it.

Yeah, that's not too cool if it times out on you.
It's other, separate limitation, AFAIK. Just requires you to have at least one purchase on Steam (no matter the value) in one year. And it only affects Steam market functionality.

Top Bottom