• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accounts that have spent less than $5 on Steam now have limited access

Gaogaogao

My account was dropped to limited access because I haven't bought anything off the store in a year. Kind of a bullshit move, forcing you to buy something to be able to do basic things even when you've been a member for years.

wait is it really a time sensitive thing? so 5$ every year?

You have to play the games at Valve HQ, do ya?
No, and neither do you have to leave your books at at the bookstore's corporate office. They just have to remain in the storefront, as Steam games do.

Just think there are cleaner bookstore analogies to be made and communicate a sense of strange entitlement centered around tertiary services. Let's not bicker.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only five copies of bad rats.

Means phishing accounts will become evangelicals of Bad Rats.

HELLO FRIEND, HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT BAD RATS?

*opens trade offer to give you Bad Rats for Bill's Hat*

I picture these people complaining about the five bucks as the guys that sit on the floor in bookstores reading manga.

tumblr_lxhuz2gXTP1r6hhqro1_500.jpg

Let's be fair here. I think we can agree that $5 is pretty much nothing, but you don't know if X poster is from a poor country where access to credit cards and so on are harder to obtain or use.

If I hadn't been browsing the GAF Steam threads off and on since their inception I wouldn't be aware of the Spambots and I've been using Steam since the old DoD1.3/CS1.6 WON servers were shut down and I was forced to use Steam if I wanted to continue to play either game. Is this apparent epidemic of bots related to your profile privacy settings?

I never trade and have my inventory set to private, yet I get requests from phishing bots on a semi-daily basis.

Just last week I got a request from a completely random Steam user with an anime avatar (something I find to be common with phishers, not sure why). I accepted it out of curiosity, and literally 1 millisecond after I clicked "Accept", I got an instant message from them with an obvious phishing link along with some spiel about wanting one of my items, even though my inventory is private. I reported the account, but someone who isn't as internet-literate would have easily fallen for it.

I never trade and have my inventory set to private, yet I get requests from phishing bots on a semi-daily basis.

Just last week I got a request from a completely random Steam user with an anime avatar (something I find to be common with phishers, not sure why). I accepted it out of curiosity, and literally 1 millisecond after I clicked "Accept", I got an instant message from them with an obvious phishing link along with some spiel about wanting one of my items, even though my inventory is private. I reported the account, but someone who isn't as internet-literate would have easily fallen for it.

Hell, there was a thread in here about someone clicking that link. lol

draetenth

I'm surprised there are people who aren't aware that there were spambots on Steam. I have my profile + inventory set to private, have nothing in my inventory other than a spare copy of HL and a couple of coupons, and only play Single Player games (selling any cards immediately). Yet, I still had 3 bots try to friend me... It was weird because I have no idea how they would have even found me... Granted it's only 3 in over 8 years or so of using Steam...

Limited users are prevented from accessing several features on Steam, including but not limited to:
Sending friend invites

Thank you FUCKING GOD!

I usually get like 3-4 Friend invites EVERY DAY, like fucking clockwork from new accounts. All of them phishers or scammers looking to trade shit. Was getting sick of cleaning up my FRs every damn day. If I didnt clean up every day I would end up with like 10-15 over a few days. Worse I accidentally declined an actual friend's request by mistake cause it was buried in like 11 other requests from these cunts.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm living at school and paying for it. That person would be me. I'm not going to ask someone for $5 and tell them it's so I can a play a video game.

You don't need $5 to play a videogame on Steam. You can play all you want with a limited account. Try again.

If you have the time to need the additional features of Steam you have the time to make $5 to pay for them.

I don't really understand the mentality behind the complainers. Those features can't be that important to you if they're not worth $5 so stop acting like this is going to be some monumental hardship. It doesn't wash. You can't have it both ways.

LUXURY

Fuck them. I'm not paying any amount of money for something I don't want. The only thing I play on the PC is Left 4 Dead 2 that I got on disc years ago. They can do something else besides making people pay to use basic functions.

MUnited83

For you.
Fuck them. I'm not paying any amount of money for something I don't want. The only thing I play on the PC is Left 4 Dead 2 that I got on disc years ago. They can do something else besides making people pay to use basic functions.

But you just said you don't want those "basic functions".

My only concern about this is the requirement that the total be determined as a USD value, because it disadvantages people in developing countries.

Fuck them. I'm not paying any amount of money for something I don't want. The only thing I play on the PC is Left 4 Dead 2 that I got on disc years ago. They do something else besides making people pay to use basic functions.

If you don't want to use the things they're disallowing you from using, why is it "fuck them"?

Woo-Fu

Banned

That's right, how dare Valve not make you pay for something you don't want. /smh

Beyond the utter lack of logic in your stance I find it mildly entertaining that people who aren't contributing to the bottom line in the first place think they're making a statement by continuing to not contribute in the face of this policy change.

Who do you think Valve will care about more? People who are regular customers of Steam (i.e., giving them money constantly) getting bombarded by shitty spambots, or the small minority of people who don't give Valve any money?

Not to be blunt, but they're going to care more about the customers who pay while using their services.

Labrys

I'm quite tired of getting the spam friend requests so this is a welcome addition.
Hell even if you just play TF2 on steam buying something from the Mann Co. Store counts towards it, just buy a hat and then you'll also upgrade to premium for TF2.

Coldsun

Banned
I'm totally fine with this (with the exception of maybe the WebAPI access being restricted). If you haven't put at least $5 usd into Steam (and by the sounds of it, some of you have been using Steam for 6-7-8+ years without putting money in, why should they care about you? You aren't a customer they necessarily want, at least not more than them wanting to get rid of bots.

Yes, some of you have games bought retail that work on Steam, but Steam doesn't make money from those steam keys.

I do wonder if they'll eventually loosen the restrictions to allow retail keys to count towards this though, and would be okay with that too. Fortunately I have well over 4k in the steam ecosystem so I'm in the clear.

Gr8one

I haven't logged into Steam in 10 years but I'm fucking angry.

What exactly are you angry about if you haven't used steam in a decade?

edit: Sorry if youre being sarcastic. The outrage posts r confusing me.

I have to ask, did you actually use any of these "basic functions" you're so mad about? Most of the basic functions still work, like playing your game and overlay chat? You can still post on the steam boards, just with a time limit between posts.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Again, that's a different limitation AFAIK, and it only affects your Steam Market capabilities.

Yo, what's that? Because I buy games at retail and other storefronts, and I could easily drift into a year without buying directly from Steam. Last game I bought on Steam was Dec 28th, and I've registered Dying Light and Pillars of Eternity since then, so I'm still active.

edit:

Purchase Limitations

Your account must have a successful purchase older than thirty days, but not older than a year in order to access the Marketplace. The purchase of wallet funds, games, DLCs and software meet this requirement. Retail CD key activations and gift purchases do not satisfy this requirement.

Do purchases from my wallet count? I've got 7 something bucks made from selling cards, if I buy something with that I'm still good right? Need to keep that card treadmill turning.

Card Boy

Banned
I hope it leads to less shit from Greenlight. I would imagine there are garbage devs that have sockpuppeted their games with fake accounts to get approved.

duckroll

Good. If you aren't spending at least $5 why the hell would you be on Steam, anyway?

There are lots of possible reasons for it. Steamworks has such a wide reach that anyone who buys retail PC games will likely need a Steam account, even if they don't buy anything from Steam itself as a storefront. Same with people who want to play F2P games like TF2 and DOTA2, but might not buy products on the store.

That said, fuck spambots!

Cipherr

Looks like a fantastic idea from this thread.

The only people upset are the people that don't use steam at all in the first place, and the few who somehow thought this meant they couldn't play the games they own.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

KorrZ

Sounds good to me - I was getting a bit sick of the spambots as well. $5 is absolutely nothing so if you somehow haven't spent anything on Steam then just pick up something quick that you've been meaning to play, should be pretty easy to find something to suit you.

If you refuse to pay and have never bought anything on Steam ever well....Valve doesn't owe you shit.

MUnited83

For you.
Yo, what's that? Because I buy games at retail and other storefronts, and I could easily drift into a year without buying directly from Steam. Last game I bought on Steam was Dec 28th, and I've registered Dying Light and Pillars of Eternity since then, so I'm still active.

edit:

Do purchases from my wallet count? I've got 7 something bucks made from selling cards, if I buy something with that I'm still good right? Need to keep that card treadmill turning.

You have to make at least one purchase a year to buy and sell items on the Steam Market. Even a 20 cents game works.

And yes, purchases with your wallet will count.

barit

That´s great. Every day some Level 0 bots tries to add me. And all that just because I sold some DOTA stuff and game trading cards over the marketplace long time ago.

Cru

What exactly are you angry about if you haven't used steam in a decade?

edit: Sorry if youre being sarcastic. The outrage posts r confusing me.

Yeah, I was messing around. I still haven't seen any valid reason for the outrage.

Diablos

There are lots of possible reasons for it. Steamworks has such a wide reach that anyone who buys retail PC games will likely need a Steam account, even if they don't buy anything from Steam itself as a storefront. Same with people who want to play F2P games like TF2 and DOTA2, but might not buy products on the store.

That said, fuck spambots!
Okay, fine, you have a point.

Steam has so many great deals that even if you just used it for DOTA, I find it hard to imagine that one would find it impossible to spend $5 worth.

Totally valid point about Steamworks though. Oh well, grab some DLC on sale I guess.

Aselith

No, and neither do you have to leave your books at at the bookstore's corporate office. They just have to remain in the storefront, as Steam games do.

Just think there are cleaner bookstore analogies to be made and communicate a sense of strange entitlement centered around tertiary services. Let's not bicker.

But that is a meaningless distinction. It'd be like the bookstore being able to magically make the book appear anywhere and I don't have to carry it around with me...you're saying I can only use it in the store. Really? Really really?

Yeah they're holding it but I can use it anywhere.

KHlover

Banned
Thank god, fucking spammers were taking over in the last few months. Got at least one fake request per day for quite some time now and I don't even actively trade.

Kenai

I find $5 a very inoffensive amount so I am ok with it. Wish there were a better solution but i certainly can't think of one. Hope it works.

Aselith

Thank god, fucking spammers were taking over in the last few months. Got at least one fake request per day for quite some time now and I don't even actively trade.

That's actually what they want cause you're more likely to fall for a bad deal

But that is a meaningless distinction. It'd be like the bookstore being able to magically make the book appear anywhere and I don't have to carry it around with me...you're saying I can only use it in the store. Really? Really really?

Yeah they're holding it but I can use it anywhere.
No, it'd be like you could go to another bookstore in the same chain and still have access to your books. The fact that you are tied down to a storefront is not a meaningless distinction and the steam store is not analogous to a brick and mortar physical goods storefront where you can take the product anywhere you want after purchase.

Anyway, this is hardly relevant. PM about it if you want, but I'm not super invested here to be honest.

Aselith

No, it'd be like you could go to another bookstore in the same chain and still have access to your books. The fact that you are tied down to a storefront is not a meaningless distinction and the steam store is not analogous to a brick and mortar physical goods storefront where you can take the product anywhere you want after purchase.

Anyway, this is hardly relevant. PM about it if you want, but I'm not super invested here to be honest.

Except I can go to my house or your house or a McDonalds or the beach in offline mode (or hell even online with how easy it is to get wifi at this point.) The only thing tying you down with Steam is access to a computer.

How is that another store in the chain again?

What you were going for is an ownership thing and it has nothing to do with where you can use the thing. It just means eventually you'll have to give it back.

Hmm, I've never spent a cent on steam, have only used my account for free game promotions and the like haha.

If I ever actually get around to using my account and getting into PC gaming I will spend a lot more than $5 though so no issue here :p

I'm honestly surprised that there's any backlash about this on GAF whatsoever. As a service itself, Steam is worth $5. Even if PC gamers aren't used to paying for features, Steam Gold is incredibly reasonable at that price. That said, Steam Silver lets you play games online so upgrading isn't even mandatory.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not really paying for features though, well okay you pay $5 for features and get $5 worth of credit to spend on games.

Perfectly fine with that. Sucks a bit for kids who only play f2p but the spambots need to be curb stomped.

Top Bottom