• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACE COMBAT 7 (Bandai Namco, Project Aces, UE4) coming to Playstation 4 & PSVR

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i think implementing a visual scaling system like in falcon 4.0/BMS which increases the side of the model based on how distant they are to compensate for the low resolution of a computer/tv screen vs actual human vision in conjunction with more aggressive pilot AI could make for much more intimate dogfights without the need to resort to cinematic pseudo-rail shooter mechanics for every encounter. it makes every duel essentially the same and i'd really prefer if that thing didn't come back in any form.

You don't even like Idolm@ster.

you don't know me!

I can go with either as long as the character is proactive in some way, just no more Mobius 1 type character. I think I would most likely want 2, give us a really good fleshed out character with a good voice actor.

To all people who think dogfight mode is ass, just look at this and see how grand it would be if you could re-play the original games with it available.

Pixy vs Cipher

Yellow 13 vs Mobius 1

It would be pure ecstasy and you know it!
I love the look of the dogfight mode. I hope they don't walk away from it completely, with the right tweaks I think it could make the game better.

mcz117chief

I love the look of the dogfight mode. I hope they don't walk away from it completely, with the right tweaks I think it could make the game better.

Exactly! As I said earlier, just make it less mandatory, a bit slower, not so "on-rails", add more manoeuvres and it will be the best thing ever.

edit: Don't get me wrong, people. I love ALL the Ace Combat games for what they are and I would love an HD version of the PS2 trilogy, but I also don't think we should be stuck in a rut and make a new Ace Combat game just for it to be an old Ace Combat game, if you want to play old Ace Combat games then you can, they are still there, but I believe that Ace Combat has the potential to grow and Assault Horizon took a major step, some things it did right (voiced main character, more options for dog fighting, best PVP multiplayer, flares, etc.) , some things it did wrong (CRA being too forced, helicopters being too boring, etc.) but it was a step in generally a right direction. It is time to move on and explore the boundaries of imagination of the Project Aces developers. Long live Ace Combat and let us pray that it will deliver great games forever more.

Afrikan

If they could some how put the flight stick in VR... Maybe put some move lights it or something... That would be freaking awesome. I'd be in day one for that.

well...there was this... but I think Sony is acting like it never existed.

ps3-010011-03.jpg

oimori

Some information
cut by fockin Hachima

- the concept is to make better numbered sequel by making sure of what is important for numbered series
-AC7 has three axis, first one is drawing of the sky including three-dimensional cloud
-another axis is seeking the enjoyment of "airplane-pretend play"(the very first concept of Ace Combat). not a finish move by pushing one button but maneuvers by piloting
-third is enhancing variety of the way to beat missions
-return to the fictional world called Strangereal, but want to make it enjoyable for beginners of the series.
-the place where the woman stood in PV was so high that people can't go there without pressurized suit
-that giant air ship is called "FAS"

Some information
cut by fockin Hachima

- the concept is to make better numbered sequel by making sure of what is important for numbered series
-AC7 has three axis, first one is drawing of the sky including three-dimensional cloud
-another axis is seeking the enjoyment of "airplane-pretend play"(the very first concept of Ace Combat). not a finish move by pushing one button but maneuvers by piloting
-third is enhancing variety of the way to beat missions
-return to the fictional world called Strangereal, but want to make it enjoyable for beginners of the series.
-the place where the woman stood in PV was so high that people can't go there without pressurized suit

T__T

It's beautiful!

With the way they've been talking up the clouds, I'm gonna make an early shot in the dark and say that one of the superweapons will involve you needing to either fly above, below, or in the clouds themselves in order to survive it's attacks.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
With the way they've been talking up the clouds, I'm gonna make an early shot in the dark and say that one of the superweapons will involve you needing to either fly above, below, or in the clouds themselves in order to survive it's attacks.

Hah, totally, will be the games version of staying under the radar and flying down a canyon for 5 minutes before blowing the crap out of everything on the other side.

ssharm02

Banned
dream AC game, I always begged for volumetric clouds! hot damn that tech looks sick!

If they port AC4/5/6 and 0 to PS4, I will run out and buy it RIGHT NOW!

I haven't really paid attention to this series in decades, but is this still an arcadey shooter, or is it a real sim like Falcon now?

I wonder if they'll make the cockpits have 6 Degrees of Freedom like DCS if they're going to make full use of the VR headsets head tracking features.
Even modern Ace Combat is nothing like:

25kLKMV.jpg
EelzeIN.jpg

1poOMO9.jpg
GHwlnyg.jpg
If Ace Combat had a mode like Falcon 4.0's dynamic campaign, I'd die happy

dalin80

Banned
Essentially all they need to do is remake AC5, keep the same great controls, the same great atmosphere and just expand on the missions and aircraft available with some fancy graphics included. That's all they need to do to not fuck this up.

No annoying ass dogfight mode just pure, solid AC goodness.

AmyS

An aircraft that must be included in Ace Combat 7, the A-12 Avenger II, the cancelled (thanks Dick Cheney) successor to the A-6 Intruder.

not screenshots of any game -- simply artist illustrations of what this very stealthy carrier based U.S.Navy medium attack aircraft would've been like]
RWXTQ1z.jpg

yNBw6GI.jpg

There were real mock-ups of this thing:

7xeIIfZ.jpg

5fxZPsq.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1

man, nothing has a mode like f4's dynamic campaign, except f4. that's the whole reason people have been building on that ancient, single-threaded codebase for the last 15 years!

to be honest though, if they could make a dynamic campaign like that and it meant losing the absurd stories and amazingly over the top moments that i love the series for, i don't think that's a direction i'd want the series to take. i'm a sim nut, but ace combat scratches a very particular itch that i've gone without for too long already :p

I wonder if they'll make the cockpits have 6 Degrees of Freedom like DCS if they're going to make full use of the VR headsets head tracking features.

never played Falcon 4.0 but ACX (PSP) had an amazing dynamic campaign with branching and influence on missions : for example, go west or east, defeat air force or land force, before going to the capital ? Then you could come back and try to take on the mission you miss but the forces alredy moved to the capital so you can get the objectives without much resistance haha it was great and the branching made replayability very fun

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
As long as they keep the angels out. I'm not playing another AC game to suffer through that shite again.

Strangereal though <3.

Boogdud

Because hitting Ace Combat Assault Horizon enemies without dogfight mode is impossible, they actually reacted to your attacks and since the missiles in Ace Combat games have almost no tracking then you can't have reactive enemies while also maintaining the same missile system from the PS2 games. Do you remember the Strigon team from AC6 on ace difficulty? Nightmare fuel...

No, I don't remember it at all.. LOCK-fire two missiles instantly over and over and over and over... Nope, I don't know what you're talking about!

But I think you're putting restraints on the game that might not be there. It's a new generation of the game and a fairly significant one with vr being involved. They may overhaul the weapons and systems completely. Personally, I thought the crutch of dogfight mode was a real distraction from the flying aspect of the game, it felt shoehorned in. I felt like I was getting jerked in and out of a fight by a giant bungee cord. Aside from that, the idea of using the cannon so much on a modern fighter aircraft is laughable.

That said, I've loved the franchise from the beginning, and I mean the very first game.

usjleq3.jpg

Me too. I have no doubt in my mind if I had all of the money I sunk into that cabinet that I could have easily just bought one. (I still think it's my favorite)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
what angels?

I was referring to the extremely poorly written storyline of Ace Combat 6. Every third sentence or so is filled ad nauseam with the analogy of 'the angels' (fighter jet pilots) to the point where I just muted the TV when a story segment came one. One does not play Ace Combat for the storyline (which is always bonkers anyway and ends with crazy big unpractical weapons that need 250 missiles to go down) but this shit was making my ears bleed. At least in Ace Combat you're cool dude Mobius 1 fighting the good fight with some semi-believable radio banter with your buddy rebel pilot bros.

Glowsquid

An aircraft that must be included in Ace Combat 7, the A-12 Avenger II, the cancelled (thanks Dick Cheney) successor to the A-6 Intruder.

not screenshots of any game --

The first HAWX included the A-12 as a secret playable plane, and it was a neat novelty! I'm... pretty sure the 2nd image in your post is a screenshot from HAWX, actually.

Am I the only one who wants them to include the Chengdu J-20

mcz117chief

I was referring to the extremely poorly written storyline of Ace Combat 6. Every third sentence or so is filled ad nauseam with the analogy of 'the angels' (fighter jet pilots) to the point where I just muted the TV when a story segment came one. One does not play Ace Combat for the storyline (which is always bonkers anyway and ends with crazy big unpractical weapons that need 250 missiles to go down) but this shit was making my ears bleed. At least in Ace Combat you're cool dude Mobius 1 fighting the good fight with some semi-believable radio banter with your buddy rebel pilot bros.

Interesting, considering Ace Combat 6 and 4 have identical story lines.

Breakbeat

Banned
Out of all of the Japanese series that fell from prominence between Gen 6 and Gen 7, I never expected that Ace Combat would get a true numbered sequel. It may be a bit early to make this claim, but it's looking like Unreal 4 is really the engine that saved Japan.

ACESmkII

Famitsu screenshots are glorious as expected.

Not sure how I feel about the weird rocket/missile pods under the wings of the F-22. Looked kinda weird in the trailer as well. But I wont complain about a special weapon that can fire backwards.

Can't wait for a gameplay trailer.

VAD

That trailer made no sense, the missiles went backwards? Why the hell was that person HALO jumping? Why are they using a lone stealth multirole fighter loaded with very unstealthy rocket packs? Why, why, why?
I miss flight sims too much to not play this but why all those weird decisions?

That trailer made no sense, the missiles went backwards? Why the hell was that person HALO jumping? Why are they using a lone stealth multirole fighter loaded with very unstealthy rocket packs? Why, why, why?
Are you new to Ace Combat? It's not supposed to be a simulator. Its focus is mainly narrative and arcade gameplay.

mcz117chief

there's a marked difference between this

and this asscrap

Nah, they are both good in their own way.

Because Ace Combat, a world where building huge air ships is a good idea :)

Erigu

Some information
cut by fockin Hachima
[...]
Note that while a bunch of blogs are using the names "Strangereal" or "UG", the actual FamiTs&#363; article actually says "the fictional world of the numbered titles" and nothing more.
Guess that "Strangereal" thing is one internet misconception that's not going to die anytime soon...

Top Bottom