• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACE COMBAT 7 (Bandai Namco, Project Aces, UE4) coming to Playstation 4 & PSVR

Aerocrane

Where is mah T-50 screenshot!!
Seriously am tired of the Raptor the PAK-FA is as good if not better can't wait until it goes into full production next year and starts to populate games and movies

Edit: also what is that Emblem on the Su-35? can't recall it but looks similar to the Erusean fleet

Raptor has been the face of the series since the first game, Russian aircraft are for the bad guys ;)
That's a Erusean emblem on the Su-30, check the OP for a higher quality version of the same screenshot.

Note that while a bunch of blogs are using the names "Strangereal" or "UG", the actual FamiTsū article actually says "the fictional world of the numbered titles" and nothing more.
Guess that "Strangereal" thing is one internet misconception that's not going to die anytime soon...
Most people in the western fanbase call the setting Strangereal, you are fighting a losing battle.

mcz117chief

I only played the one on 360 and was shocked by the number of missiles an aircraft could carry.
I hope they find a middle ground between boring serious simulation and LOLOL 100 MISSILES arcade.

Well, there probably won't be a middle ground. Ace Combat is Dynasty Warriors with planes, you are given huge arsenal to shoot down dozens of practically defenceless targets with an officer thrown in here and there to provide "challenge".

Glowsquid

I only played the one on 360 and was shocked by the number of missiles an aircraft could carry.
I hope they find a middle ground between boring serious simulation and LOLOL 100 MISSILES arcade.

If you want a middleground, play Sidewinder/Lethal Skies. It's not like there,s a deluge of arcade air combat games this generation.

Boogdud

Nah, they are both good in their own way.

Nah, it's not really good in any way, at all, actually. It's bad. It might be good if you had never had a conversation with a human being, or didn't understand English. Or perhaps if you were a dog. That way the brain-dead, robotic, nonsensical dialogue and exchanges would just sound like "treat? treat? angels.. treaaat?"

Seriously, I don't know anyone that plays for the story, other than maybe the overarching concept of the battles/war. Otherwise, it's complete dreck. Honestly it sounds like siri reading a script from another language, translated by google translate.

Has anyone tried Energy Air Force? I have it and was able to change most the the language English but still had some difficulty figuring out how to complete the missions. Anyone else?

mcz117chief

Nah, it's not really good in any way, at all, actually. It's bad. It might be good if you had never had a conversation with a human being, or didn't understand English. Or perhaps if you were a dog. That way the brain-dead, robotic, nonsensical dialogue and exchanges would just sound like "treat? treat? angels.. treaaat?"

Seriously, I don't know anyone that plays for the story, other than maybe the overarching concept of the battles/war. Otherwise, it's complete dreck. Honestly it sounds like siri reading a script from another language, translated by google translate.

whatever, I still like it and you can insult me all you want, won't change the fact that I LOVE THE STORY of ACE COMBAT 4,5,6,0,X,AH,I.

Randam

I was referring to the extremely poorly written storyline of Ace Combat 6. Every third sentence or so is filled ad nauseam with the analogy of 'the angels' (fighter jet pilots) to the point where I just muted the TV when a story segment came one. One does not play Ace Combat for the storyline (which is always bonkers anyway and ends with crazy big unpractical weapons that need 250 missiles to go down) but this shit was making my ears bleed. At least in Ace Combat you're cool dude Mobius 1 fighting the good fight with some semi-believable radio banter with your buddy rebel pilot bros.
I do.
story and characters are things that really make these games special to me.

ACESmkII

Has anyone tried Energy Air Force? I have it and was able to change most the the language English but still had some difficulty figuring out how to complete the missions. Anyone else?

I have both Energy Air Force and Energy Air force: Aim Strike for my Japanese PS2. Both games are very good and play more on the sim side.

Glowsquid

if the language barrier proves to be too much of an obstacle, there's an European release. is there anything preventing you from playing PAL ps2 games..?

AmyS

The first HAWX included the A-12 as a secret playable plane, and it was a neat novelty! I'm... pretty sure the 2nd image in your post is a screenshot from HAWX, actually.

Am I the only one who wants them to include the Chengdu J-20

I heard that the A-12 was in HAWX, I played the demo on Xbox 360 years ago. IIRC it ran t a higher framerate than AC6.

Glowsquid

IIRC it ran t a higher framerate than AC6.

yeah, the first HAWX runs at a (not entirely stable) 60 fps on consoles.

(incidentally, if we're going to keep talkign about unrelated flight gamus, I'll point out I made a thread to discuss the genre a few months back, but it sank like a stone. Maybe I shouldn't have made it the same day as the release of Batman's pc port :/)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I do.
story and characters are things that really make these games special to me.

As stated, I enjoyed what they did with 4 and it did buildatmosphere and motivation. The setting of fighting to reclaim the skies, starting from a losing underdog position, the gradual build-up, bigger campaigns, pilot banter.. It was nice. But with 6's story, they dropped the ball so hard, in my opinion. I was actually annoyed and it did affect my enjoyment of the game. So to nuance a bit, I don't play for the story, but it sure helps if it's somewhat decent.

Offtopic: rad avatar/username, though bittersweet since Snatcher is probably gone same way as the dodo.

Randam

As stated, I enjoyed what they did with 4 and it did buildatmosphere and motivation. The setting of fighting to reclaim the skies, starting from a losing underdog position, the gradual build-up, bigger campaigns, pilot banter.. It was nice. But with 6's story, they dropped the ball so hard, in my opinion. I was actually annoyed and it did affect my enjoyment of the game. So to nuance a bit, I don't play for the story, but it sure helps if it's somewhat decent.

what about 5 and your squadron, or Zero with cipher and pixy?

EGOMON

Raptor has been the face of the series since the first game, Russian aircraft are for the bad guys ;)
That's a Erusean emblem on the Su-30, check the OP for a higher quality version of the same screenshot.
I know thats why i wanted the T50 to star the new game even as the Bad guy :D
Thanks yeah thats definitely Erusean emblem

Just beat ac4. Rip yellow, and time to move onto 5. Waiting for this game is hard.

Ace difficulty all misssion rank S ?

I did that for 4, 5 and 0. I had way too much free time as a highschooler.

Some missions were... problematic. Still some bad dreams about 8492 mission in Ace.

AmyS

Just beat ac4. Rip yellow, and time to move onto 5. Waiting for this game is hard.

When you're playing AC5, be sure to mess around with the replays and enjoy viewing your squadron from different angles with the aircraft you pick for your fellow pilots.

Pif

Banned
I hope motion controls make it into the final build.

Kinda sad that almost no games use it, it's quite handy for minor tilting corrections.

Mokoi

Banned
for 5, at least, try to get the secret bonus aircraft, the Falken, here's how it's not spoilery but offer a nice little side challenge on a handfull of missions
Thanks for the heads up would of missed it for sure.

I hope motion controls make it into the final build.

Kinda sad that almost no games use it, it's quite handy for minor tilting corrections.
Yea it would help when trying to gun down planes. Forgot how it can be a little frustrating for me because I'm off just a little bit.

Rymuth

Boy, this hasn't been updated in a while. Anyway, Producer tweeted this

7に、ご期待くださっている皆様、もう少しお待ちください。皆様にお知らせできるよう開発チームと準備しております。

"About 7, please wait a little longer, We’re making preparations to be able to announce it for everyone, together with the development team.”

So...soonish? PSX? PGW?

SliChillax

They better take their time with this. I don't want a rushed Ace Combat game. Bring back the memorable soundtrack too and huge super weapons!

AmyS

I wish i could use my PS2 flight stick with this. It's USB. I know it's possible but won't be supported. :(

I still got my Ace Edge flight stick & throttle for Ace Combat 6, I got one used but in great shape in 2009 the same day I got my first Xbox 360.
I'd definitely buy a new set for Ace Combat 7.....on top of to PSVR, next year.

Skwerl

After ACAH and ACI, they really should just let the game die already ;_______;
It's pathetic really, its been 10 months since the initial reveal and they still can't get something worth showing up.
At this rate I am suspecting it is internal development trouble.

I feel bad about them used to be my industrial idols.

AmyS

It's pathetic really, its been 10 months since the initial reveal and they still can't get something worth showing up.

They're developing AC7 for PSVR as well, so I don't mind having a little patience.

No. I refuse for my AC to die

They're developing AC7 for PSVR as well, so I don't mind having a little patience.

Putting aside the fact that VR limitations could very well play a hindrance to AC game design (Welcome back, super scripted AC5/AH encounters!), there's not much there to be optimistic about. With the complete lack of PR presence since the initial reveal, either this game was revealed far too early to begin with (which wouldn't be unheard of in the JP game industry), or something has gone pretty rotten on the production side, and given Kono's 'history' as a producer that's not unreasonable to assume.

hi DF :3

I enjoyed AC:AH, I thought it was a very impressive game in its own right and didn't deserve the vitriol it's constantly subjected to, even if it was a departure for the series. I honestly thought that Team Aces seemed to adjust to the last gen consoles better than the vast majority of Japanese devs.

I do hope that they knock it out if the park with AC7 though. I think IO Interactive found themselves in a similar situation with their fans after Hitman: Absolution (also undeserving of the vitriol it received), and they did a fantastic job of winning them over with Hitman (2016).

Infinity was kind of the baffling project because it was PS3 exclusive and launched so close to PS4, if they'd have made it just an HD upres for next-gen it'd probably have had more support.

Infinity was kind of the baffling project because it was PS3 exclusive and launched so close to PS4, if they'd have made it just an HD upres for next-gen it'd probably have had more support.

Eh, I think it was released with the JP market mostly in mind; a vast majority of that still hasn't upgraded to the PS4.

AmyS

My prediction on Ace Combat 7.

New trailer at PlayStation Experience in December. Mostly cutscenes, a little gameplay but not too much.

Blow out at E3, we'll see:

*Multiplayer
*PSVR modes / missions revealed.
*PS4 Pro enhancements
*Hints about DLC

Release October 2017.

(Ace Combat 6 released on Xbox 360 in October 2007 in NA, November in JP / EU)

ultrazilla

Sorry to bump this but while scouring the net for AC7 news i found this from like 2 weeks ago

Ace Combat 7 Producer Asks Fans To Wait Just A Little Longer

I know its not much but it is the closest we got to an update since last year announcement, hopefully we will see full reveal at PSX

Trust me, this bump isn't bad at all compared to some of the other useless bumps in other long forgotten, dusty threads.

It's actually new news.

I can't wait for the reveal. Should be amazing looking using Unreal Engine 4. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure there's been a proper "flight"/jet/plane game using UE4.

And I'll be able to dust off my Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X :)

Top Bottom