• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 7 details and screens

Dio

Banned
Ah, okay. Just wondered is all.

Because looking at some of the missions, you face against things which look like SHMUP Bosses (giant death fortresses).

Yes. Some of them (like the one in the Ace Combat 7 trailer) shoot out a ton of UAVs which make manoeuvres not possible with a human pilot, but have very low health.

Ah, okay. Just wondered is all.

Because looking at some of the missions, you face against things which look like SHMUP Bosses (giant death fortresses).

They usually work out by flying around them, taking out weak spots, engaging dogfights ect. I love the AC gameplay. It's great.

Flight sims will benefit greatly from VR. Being able to look all around will really help with alleviating disorientation and tracking your enemies. At least, in theory...I've never actually used VR.

Dio

Banned
Flight sims will benefit greatly from VR. Being able to look all around will really help with alleviating disorientation and tracking your enemies. At least, in theory...I've never actually used VR.

Well, being able to look out the side of a fighter jet's cockpit while dogfighting as an enemy jet buzzes by is one of my lifelong dreams. I hope they get it right.

Dio

Banned
Was Ace Combat Infinity worth playing? I have a PS3 but never connected it online.

It was actually great, for a free to play game. It played almost identically to 4/5/Zero/6, and had various stages with iconic bosses from the Strangereal universe, but set in the real world. Stuff like the Stonehenge superweapon was in the game.

It was really fun, but of course it was an online-focused F2P title.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This might be the killer app for VR.

That mission in Battlefield 3 where you go and pilot a jet. That shit gave me chills.

To be able to do that in VR? Dear God.
That BF3 mission was on-rails BS and you didn't pilot shit. But goddamn did DICE absolutely nail the aesthetics, and basically demonstrate how to bring a cockpit and dogfight to life. Combine their visuals/sound with the Ace Combat flight model, I might never leave my house again.

The F-22 having those under wing pods is annoying me lol

edit: Yes, I know in real life they have wing hard points. Kind of kills the stealth look haha.

They're based on stealthy weapon pods being developed for a stealthy variant of the F/A-18 Super Hornet
163474043-Advanced-Super-Hornet-Media-Brief_page21_image267.png
52.jpg
But yeah, fighters in Ace Combat keep hundreds of missiles in hammerspace, so why not just use the F-22's internal weapons bay that they lovingly animated in Assault Horizon/Infinity

My first Ace Combat was Ace Combat 6, I had no idea about the series before except it was a arcadey dog fighter. I have no idea what kind of dull person you have to be NOT to enjoy the fact that you were fighting for a (Not-America) Gracemaria against the (Not-Russia) Estovakia, who has a gigantic flying super carrier with super anti-air cruise missiles guarded by Spetznas Pilots. Then I heard there were things like Anti-Meteor railguns in earlier games that were used to shoot down airplanes and my mind went "How the fuck did I not know about this series before!?"

Strangereal kicked ass.

They've actually done a good job in every game to make "your" country feel like America and the enemies country to feel like Soviet Russia, in the same way that people are more loyal to the country they're born in, despite objective reality.

Ogawa-san

-development is about 20% done.
2017? :(

No matter, my VR will be ready. Not too worried about how it's going to be used, it'll probably be like Driveclub: just enough that it's playable without it. For some genres that's good enough.

JamboGT

Ace Combat has done a better job of getting me immersed and hyped during missions than anything else, in each of the PS2 games towards the end the mixture of story, music, everything just makes you feel so... triumphant! it is so good.

Hahs

Looks great - big fan; don't really care much for the plot in these games though - hoping AC7 changes that.

novaGT

Neo Member
Would be great to finally have a traditional ac again.
The last installment just couldn't keep me interested like the ps2 era titles

SliChillax

Hopefully it'll be made available later for other platforms, pc in particular. I am hoping the same for a remaster of the old ones.

AmyS

Scary to think just how good this game will look.

I remember 6 on the 360 literally blew my mind.

I remember being blown away seeing the Famitsu screens of Ace Combat 6

Q8Z4X3M.jpg

qEHi2QC.jpg

The AC6 announcement & reveal came about 2 years, 4 months after Xbox 360 itself was released. [November 2005 ----> March 2007].

Aselith

Man, this thing is going to look so boss on PC. Would be so, so nice if it had mod tools even though it probably won't happen :(

Ralemont

not me
Cautiously optimistic. I recently replayed 5 and couldn't believe how well it held up. Please make another 5, thanks.

jett

D-Member
I remember being blown away seeing the Famitsu screens of Ace Combat 6

Q8Z4X3M.jpg

qEHi2QC.jpg

The AC6 announcement & reveal came about 2 years, 4 months after Xbox 360 itself was released. [November 2005 ----> March 2007].

AC6 was my betrayalton of last-gen. :|

AmyS

They're based on stealthy weapon pods being developed for a stealthy variant of the F/A-18 Super Hornet

But yeah, fighters in Ace Combat keep hundreds of missiles in hammerspace, so why not just use the F-22's internal weapons bay that they lovingly animated in Assault Horizon/Infinity

I'm not really familiar with the stealthy variant of the F/A-18 Super Hornet, but managed to find this:

2kfs6sZ.jpg

Man, the F/A-18 Hornet in general has to be one of the most evolved fighter platforms ever. It all began with Northrops YF-17 Cobra, the plane that competed with General Dynamics YF-16 for the Lightweight Fighter program in the 1970s. A plane the USAF wanted to supplement the high-end F-15 with. The YF-16 won, and became the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

YF-16
XwlpYEI.jpg

YF-17 Cobra
cUKGS57.jpg

The YF-17 Cobra was evolved for the Naval Fighter Attack Experimental / VFAX, which became the F-18 / F/A-18 Hornet in the mid 1980s.
In a nutshell, the loser of the Air Force's Lightweight Fighter program, the YF-17 Cobra, became the Navy's new F/A=18 Hormet to supplement the F-14, and replace several older planes. The Navy sure had a potent mix of F-14 Tomcats, A-6 Intruders and F/A-18 Hornets, forming the core of our carrier air wings for the carrier battle groups.

The Hornet evolved from the F/A-18A to the F/A-18C (which the Blue Angels still use), then to the F/A-18D for the U.S. Marines with night capabilities. Then from a set of specifications called "Hornet 2000", the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet came about. And also the EA-18G Growler. I'm sure I'm missing some.

I haven't kept up with Hornet developments since. That stealthy Hornet looks great. I'm sure it would be a far better alternative to the joke that is the F-35.

Opps, going too far off-topic lol.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
AC6 was my betrayalton of last-gen. :|
Yeah that one didn't sit well with me at all. Had always been a multi-console gamer, but had the worst luck with 360 (only box to ever die on me) and went through 4 of them. Swore off the thing, which turned out to be right around when they got more reliable... and soon after, they secured Ace Combat. So yeah, that sucked.

Afrikan

for those who were mindblown by Ace Combat 6 on 360... many of us have been mindblowned since Ace Combat 2...then Ace Combat 3, then 4, then 5, then zero...you get the idea. They always held their own weight against the heavy hitters who pushed out graphics... like the Gran Turismo series.

it was one of the MAIN reasons I was excited to get a PS3.... couldn't wait to see what the NAMCO Team could do with that machine...

it turned out that I indeed had to wait...lol.

Ralemont

not me
Said is if there's even the slightest bit of agreement about this among AC players. lol

I wouldn't know about that as I don't frequent the AC community, however 5 is the best combination of gameplay and story. 0 has better gameplay thanks to superior enemy pilot AI but the story, barring an excellent finale, is not as consistently engaging as 5, and 4 upon replay really just seems like a prototype for 5.

Amir0x

Banned
This was another one of my dream games I'd hope would come true again. I wasn't a big fan of 6, but this sounds legit so far. We'll see.

Top Bottom