• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 7 details and screens

raven777

official site: http://ace-7.bn-ent.net/

CV1ab5pUwAAIuBe.jpg:large

Still kinda feels weird that it doesn't have any subtitles... I liked AC game's subtitles.

AmyS

Nothing will come close to 2015 for game announcements. Ace Combat 7 was one that I really did not expect to happen, even after that mind numbing triple strike at E3.

ssharm02

Banned
i have been waiting for this game for SOOO LONG

ohh mmaaannnnn

i hope they remaster the ps2 and xbox 360 game to ps4 asap

I still cant believe this game is happening. I was sure the franchise was dead after Assault Horizon, especially that flight sims aren't a popular genre to begin with.

I hope Project Aces blows everyone away with this and I'm really looking forward to the soundtrack, too.

I still remember hearing Operation Bunker Shot from AC4 for the first time. I loved that song so much I used to listen to it before work interviews to get pumped up :p

And people say PSX was disappointing. Ha! This has been an amazing year (of announcements).
I want them to release all PS2 Ace Combat games on PS4.

old

Been 8 years since 6. And 6 wasn't even that good. Really been over 10 years since this franchise released anything of substance (Belkan War).

Can't say I'm holding my breath for the next release.

AmyS

Check out this computer generated footage, circa mid-late 80s, of the F-15 STOL/MTD, from the series Great Planes (the basis for Discovery Channel's Wings btw)

https://youtu.be/LC8fr4gDb6Y?t=37s

The concept was not just for an F-15 with greater maneuverability, but also the ability to take off in 500ft from bombed-out runways.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So what are the best Ace Combat games to play? I have a PS2 and PS3.

3(jp), 4, 5, and zero. they're all masterpieces and each have their own flavor that makes them special. my personal favorite is zero, but there's no way i can recommend anything less than 'play them all.'
1 and 2 (and 6 if you have a 360) are 2nd tier curiosities.
ass horizon is ass horizon tier.

edit: infinity is a fun way to pass the time on ps3 waiting for ac7 once you've had your fill of the ps2 games.

raven777

3(jp), 4, 5, and zero. they're all masterpieces and each have their own flavor that makes them special. my personal favorite is zero, but there's no way i can recommend anything less than 'play them all.'

Is there a big difference with English version? I only played the JP version...

farisr

Really looking forward to this game and how it'll take advantage of current hardware.

Also, this can definitely be the killer PSVR app, if the VR is implemented properly.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

english version had half the amount of missions, and all of the cutscenes and story removed

good times

nice that the writer behind 4 and 5 is back but the dialogue in the trailer was dance with the angels tier

sounds more like a problem with the delivery to me. no one can make lines like 'dance with the angels' sound good. :p

Erigu

The glorious return of Strangereal.
That it is the canon term now is still so hilarious to me.
The actual source (i.e. the FamiTsū article) doesn't use that name. It just says "the fictional world of the numbered titles" ("ナンバリング作品での架空世界").

Only thing I want more are HD versions of Zero, 4, and 5.
And Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere, god damn it. I loved that game.

Randam

edit: infinity is a fun way to pass the time on ps3 waiting for ac7 once you've had your fill of the ps2 games.

6 isn't that bad.
I liked it after playing 5 and zero shortly before it.

half the missions and story is missing and they changed everything.

btw.: Erusea logo on that Flanker:
ac7bngsi7.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
6 isn't that bad.
I liked it after playing 5 and zero shortly before it.

no i totally agree. 6 is pretty great, and so are 1 and 2, they just wouldn't be the first thing i'd recommend given the option.

i actually love a lot about about 6, like the scale of the battles and seeing the sky filled with hundreds of missle trails, and the allied attack system sending every friendly plane on the map converging on a single target. it's good fun and the only things dragging it down is the painful story and the fact that most of the missions are like 90% air to ground, which can get really tiresome.

mcz117chief

So how has the AC series been? Haven't played one since AC4 but it sure did love that game.

4 is the first modern Ace Combat game, nothing exceptional about it besides that

5 has the best story

0 has the best characters

6 is a remake of 4 basically with different characters and super weapons

X is really really good for a PSP game

Assault Horizon is the most innovative and bold with the best pvp multiplayer

Infinity has the best gameplay

Arjac

no i totally agree. 6 is pretty great, and so are 1 and 2, they just wouldn't be the first thing i'd recommend given the option.

i actually love a lot about about 6, like the scale of the battles and seeing the sky filled with hundreds of missle trails, and the allied attack system sending every friendly plane on the map converging on a single target. it's good fun and the only things dragging it down is the painful story and the fact that most of the missions are like 90% air to ground, which can get really tiresome.
I still think the multiple objective system from 6 was its best addition, made the battles feel bigger and it gave you a little more wiggle room in terms of what loadouts were viable.

Mikey Jr.

Never played an Ace Combat game in my life. Will buy if Sony puts them on PS4.

Also, are they not connected story wise?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I wonder why they keep emphasizing this part of the trailer

pic02_b.jpg

Maybe some sort of a free-falling VR minigame?

The trailer made me think of some kind of VR spectator mode + free falling. Not expecting a full VR dogfighting experience. The press release says "exclusive features" developed specifically for PlayStation VR.

Never played an Ace Combat game in my life. Will buy if Sony puts them on PS4.

Also, are they not connected story wise?

They're technically all set in the same fictional universe, with I think 1 and that shitshow Call of Duty: Assault Horizon being the outliers. But yeah, I hope Bamco releases 4 and 5 as PS2 remasters on the PS4. I'd throw my money so hard at those.

I said this in the other thread.

Until they commit to VR like the War Thunder devs have I don't trust this "VR Features" statement.

War Thunder Statement "our game will be playable in VR"

Ace Combat 7 "will have VR Features"

BIG DIFFERENCE.

-PSVR is something that seems to fit the concept of flying freely in the sky, so they decided to implement right away

Seem to be more than just "features", seeing that they are only 20% into development.

mcz117chief

The trailer made me think of some kind of VR spectator mode + free falling. Not expecting a full VR dogfighting experience. The press release says "exclusive features" developed specifically for PlayStation VR.

There could be some unique spectator mode where you can stand on the tower and look at the fighting or you could jump down and fly towards the ground while the battle takes place around you...with vr I guess :)

Does it come with highway to the danger zone?? If not, no buy.

Well, you can play any music on PS4 now even when you are playing a game so you can listen to Highway to the Danger Zone.

I do it sometimes too but I use headphones :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1

-PSVR is something that seems to fit the concept of flying freely in the sky, so they decided to implement right away

-The orbital elevator is the symbol of this title

these two points pretty much nullify your expectations. it would be a monumental waste of time to relegate vr it to some kind of tertiary mode, and the focus on the orbital elevator is clearly establishing the visual design and aethetic of the game rather than specifically hinting at any sort of new mechanics.

I still think the multiple objective system from 6 was its best addition, made the battles feel bigger and it gave you a little more wiggle room in terms of what loadouts were viable.

it liked the idea of it, but the fact that the vast majority of those multiple operations were strictly ground war made them draaaaaag and mainly ended up with you flying back and forth between two sides of a map shooting nothing but stationary targets. good idea, not-so-good execution.

Error1355

Ace Combat is one of my favorite video game series that I thought was dead. I got goosebumps when I heard it was coming back and in Strangereal. >_>

So what are the best Ace Combat games to play? I have a PS2 and PS3.

5 > 0 > 4.

If you play only one, play 5.

Here is my somewhat spoiler-free review.

I would agree that 5 is the "best" game, all-around - and I say that as someone who enjoys Zero more. 5's gameplay engine is much improved over 4's, and there's a much greater complexity of missions in 5 than there is in Zero or 4. It's the biggest and meatiest of the three. Ace Combat always has had great music, but 5 introduced the Unsung War motif which is used in Ace Combat Zero and appears briefly in the trailer. It shows up a bit in Assault Horizon, too.

The one thing I disliked was 5's story. It was just too melodramatic for me at times, and the writing has a few cringe-worthy moments. I think this is a weakness that all the games share, but this was particularly noticeable in 5 given the scale of the game and the themes of the plot. They set high goals and didn't quite meet them. In terms of story-telling, I preferred 4's comic-book style and Zero's documentary style over 5's. A silent/invisible protagonist makes sense if the story is being told after-the-fact (as it is in 4 and Zero), but when the player character is an active participant in the story as it is being told, it feels a little weird to never see him.

Zero focuses heavily on dogfighting, and in light of this certain stylistic decisions make a lot of sense: the story is told in a series of interviews by your defeated enemies. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the diversity of missions that 5 has, so in some respects it felt like an expansion pack (to 5) rather than a standalone game. Further, there are so many "ace" pilots introduced, none of the characters really stand out the way the Yellow squadron does in Ace Combat 4, with one exception (who IMHO is the most memorable character in the series). I remember reading somewhere that the original intent was to include worldwide multiplayer in Ace Combat Zero, which would've greatly elevated the game for me.

IMHO, the perfect Ace Combat game would have 5's scale/missions and gameplay, with 4's plot/superweapons, and Zero's lore/characters.

I've said nothing of 4, because I've already written too much.

IMO, 4 is the best place for a newcomer to start. The story is simple but extremely effective and the gameplay and locations are fantastic. Plus the visuals aren't as good as the later games, so it's probably best to start here so you don't have to endure a graphical downgrade later.

REDSLATE

I felt Zero was the weakest PS2 AC game in terms of story. It tried several things, but fell short in many aspects (Arthuriana themes, moral influence, live action, etc...). 4 was good, with 5 being the peak.

Top Bottom