• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Gonna drop this question again:

After seeing the new Power Rangers movie in theaters...

Please educate me on what the new scene of Power Rangers figures is like. Toys R Us seems to have 1/2 off Legacy figures, I may grab a couple of those.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
After living with these two Mafex Boba Fetts for a couple days the Jedi version is officially the first toy I've ever owned that I have no nitpicks about. That's especially amazing because I have a problem with the Hot Toys ones. (The undersuit doesn't fit right.)

Figuarts Leo is less than 50 and probably the best figure on the market. Seen it as cheap as 40 on eBay in the past but seems around $50 at the moment.

The Neca 1/4 '90s movie version is better but it's around $100 and doesn't ship until May. Plus it's huge which is a big downside IMO. I won't even touch 1/6, lol.
I really wish they'd shrink it down to 1/10 scale like they did with a bunch of their other 1/4. It would probably require licensing shenanigans like their 1/10 Adam West Batman did.
I don't do Ebay but the Figuarts is even under $50 on Amazon with fulfilment by Amazon.

Gonna drop this question again:

After seeing the new Power Rangers movie in theaters...

Please educate me on what the new scene of Power Rangers figures is like. Toys R Us seems to have 1/2 off Legacy figures, I may grab a couple of those.
There are two current scales established for the figures: 6.7 inches, and 5 inches.

The 6.7-inch scale line is named Legacy Figures.
These figures have great articulation and feel solid, but suffer from "super buff" styling and do not come with their individual weapons from the show. (With a few exceptions.)
These are currently on Wave 3, so the past waves might be harder to find at stores. They cost around $20.
Here's a review of the Mighty Morphin set.

The Rangers currently available are:
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: All Rangers. (Green comes with Dragon Dagger + Sword, White comes with Saba, SDCC Exclusive Red comes with Sword and Megazord Blade)
Power Rangers in Space: All except the Silver Ranger.
Power Rangers Ninja Storm: Red, Blue, Yellow.
Saban's Power Rangers: All Rangers + Alpha 5. (Red comes with Sword)
The Rangers announced for future release are:
Power Rangers Zeo: All Rangers. (Gold will come with Staff)
Power Rangers Dino Thunder: All Rangers. (Black and White will come with their individual weapons.)

The 5-inch scale line is named Action Heroes.
This is the scale in which pretty much all past Ranger figures fit and is considered the main line. They're smaller and lack articulation compared to the Legacy line, but these usually include their weapons. It is also possible to find enemies and villains from the shows in this scale.
These usually cost $10 or so, which makes them really affordable.
Here's a review of the movie figures set:

Currently, these have the Ninja Steel Rangers, the movie Rangers, and some limited releases for Mighty Morphin at Toys R Us.
At Walmart, they have some two-packs of assorted Rangers with villains and of the MMPR team with their 2017 movie counterparts.

SeanC

The Neca 1/4 '90s movie version is better but it's around $100 and doesn't ship until May. Plus it's huge which is a big downside IMO. I won't even touch 1/6, lol.
I really wish they'd shrink it down to 1/10 scale like they did with a bunch of their other 1/4. It would probably require licensing shenanigans like their 1/10 Adam West Batman did.
I don't do Ebay but the Figuarts is even under $50 on Amazon with fulfilment by Amazon.

Depends if you like the movie designs over the cartoon I suppose. Also I love the Raphael and Leo NECA but not a fan of the Don and Mikey expressions so feel the Figuarts just nailed it across the board.

AESplusF

Anyone buy from Three Zero before? Their build quality seems insane.

- J - D -

Lessee...for $200 one can get

4 Figuarts Turtles
or
3 Revoltech Turtles
or
2 Neca 1/4 Turtles
or
1.5 Mondo 1/6 Turtles
or
1 DreamEx 1/6 Turtle
or
1 ThreeZero 1/6 Turtle

Not hurting for TMNT choices these days are we.

SeanC

4 Figuarts Turtles
or
3 Revoltech Turtles
or
2 Neca 1/4 Turtles
or
1.5 Mondo 1/6 Turtles
or
1 DreamEx 1/6 Turtle
or
1 ThreeZero 1/6 Turtle

Super disappointed in those Mondo Turtles (the one I toyed around with at least). Felt cheap and more in line with something you'd pay 30 bucks at Target for.

Revoltechs are legit, though. I would have gone for those to do the foursome but nostalgia beat me and went with the Figuarts.

DemiMatt

4 Figuarts Turtles
or
3 Revoltech Turtles
or
2 Neca 1/4 Turtles
or
1.5 Mondo 1/6 Turtles
or
1 DreamEx 1/6 Turtle
or
1 ThreeZero 1/6 Turtle

I've been curious about the Figuarts Turtles - seems like a good iteration of them. Not sure if I want to mix up my collection though.

I had a Mondo & returned it - it looked really cheap & just felt like a scaled up Neca turtle.

There are two current scales established for the figures: 6.7 inches, and 5 inches.

The 6.7-inch scale line is named Legacy Figures.
These figures have great articulation and feel solid, but suffer from "super buff" styling and do not come with their individual weapons from the show. (With a few exceptions.)
These are currently on Wave 3, so the past waves might be harder to find at stores. They cost around $20.
Here's a review of the Mighty Morphin set.

The Rangers currently available are:
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: All Rangers. (Green comes with Dragon Dagger + Sword, White comes with Saba, SDCC Exclusive Red comes with Sword and Megazord Blade)
Power Rangers in Space: All except the Silver Ranger.
Power Rangers Ninja Storm: Red, Blue, Yellow.
Saban's Power Rangers: All Rangers + Alpha 5. (Red comes with Sword)
The Rangers announced for future release are:
Power Rangers Zeo: All Rangers. (Gold will come with Staff)
Power Rangers Dino Thunder: All Rangers. (Black and White will come with their individual weapons.)

The 5-inch scale line is named Action Heroes.
This is the scale in which pretty much all past Ranger figures fit and is considered the main line. They're smaller and lack articulation compared to the Legacy line, but these usually include their weapons. It is also possible to find enemies and villains from the shows in this scale.
These usually cost $10 or so, which makes them really affordable.
Here's a review of the movie figures set:

Currently, these have the Ninja Steel Rangers, the movie Rangers, and some limited releases for Mighty Morphin at Toys R Us.
At Walmart, they have some two-packs of assorted Rangers with villains and of the MMPR team with their 2017 movie counterparts.

Thanks a lot for the write-up, really appreciate it.

Hmm tricky. I tend to collect more in the 6-inch scale range, and there's a wider variety of Rangers to choose from. But if you say the more limited line is considered the main line then I'm not sure anymore.

Thanks a lot for the write-up, really appreciate it.

Hmm tricky. I tend to collect more in the 6-inch scale range, and there's a wider variety of Rangers to choose from. But if you say the more limited line is considered the main line then I'm not sure anymore.
Well, the 5-inch line has essentially every ranger ever, so if you have one of those you like, probs try to pick it up. They're not perfect, but they're still fun.

BTW, the Legacy line doesn't scale with Marvel Legends. They're a bit too big.

- J - D -

Super disappointed in those Mondo Turtles (the one I toyed around with at least). Felt cheap and more in line with something you'd pay 30 bucks at Target for.

Revoltechs are legit, though. I would have gone for those to do the foursome but nostalgia beat me and went with the Figuarts.

I've been curious about the Figuarts Turtles - seems like a good iteration of them. Not sure if I want to mix up my collection though.

I had a Mondo & returned it - it looked really cheap & just felt like a scaled up Neca turtle.

The Figuarts Turtles seem like the surest bet. Has a classic design, not weirdly articulated like the Revoltechs, not prohibitively expensive like the 1/6 stuff, and not clumsily large like the Neca quarterscale.

If I were to indulge and do 1/6 with TMNT I'd probably go with the DreamEx stuff. They look absolutely killer.
C4zRaZwWMAExnKG.jpg

The Figuarts Turtles seem like the surest best. Has a classic design, not weirdly articulated like the Revoltechs, not prohibitively expensive like the 1/6 stuff, and not clumsily large like the Neca quarterscale.

If I were to indulge and do 1/6 with TMNT I'd probably go with the DreamEx stuff. They look absolutely killer.
C4zRaZwWMAExnKG.jpg

i asked before if anyone pre-ordered one, they look nice!

LiK

Heh, sold Quiet PAK for the ridiculous amount I wanted. Some other eBay buyer was asking me for 2/3 less than what I was selling it for. Glad I didn't take up his offer.

Since Void has been selling directly here, I'll do the same just to avoid eBay/PP fees.

Selling PAKs atm. Free shipping in US. If you're overseas then we need to work something else cuz I hate dealing with sending anything overseas.

All new and sealed.

MGS1 Meryl - $120 - SOLD
MGS1 Solid Snake - $350
MGS1 Cyborg Ninja - $350
FFVII Crisis Core Cloud - $85
FFVII Advent Children Cloud - $100

Artanisix

Heh, sold Quiet PAK for the ridiculous amount I wanted. Some other eBay buyer was asking me for 2/3 less than what I was selling it for. Glad I didn't take up his offer.

Since Void has been selling directly here, I'll do the same just to avoid eBay/PP fees.

Selling PAKs atm. Free shipping in US. If you're overseas then we need to work something else cuz I hate dealing with sending anything overseas.

All new and sealed.

MGS1 Meryl - $120
MGS1 Solid Snake - $350
MGS1 Cyborg Ninja - $350
FFVII Crisis Core Cloud - $85
FFVII Advent Children Cloud - $100

Out of curiosity, how much did you offload the Quiet PAK for?

NEO0MJ

I was waiting for this! Any idea when it goes up?

Also, new pic of SOC Mazinkaiser.

20170328_soulofchogokin_main.jpg

Once I saw people mentioning some of the flaws it became harder to ignore. Kinda regret skipping on the Riobot one, now.

Once I saw people mentioning some of the flaws it became harder to ignore. Kinda regret skipping on the Riobot one, now.

yeah i saw the GX-75 too.

it just was announced in a magazine... bandai usually posts the release date a few weeks after on twitter/website.

Underwhelmed, passing on this one, Sentinel's Riobot Mazinkaiser is the one to get.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I have Raph coming in the mail soon. I bought Donny for my friend for his birthday. They're our favorite turtles respectively.

So I managed to grab an F91 Metal Build preorder for $215 and I'm like 99% sure I don't want him but I know he's hard to come by. Should I keep it? Does anyone here need one without markup? Sniped someone's canceled one on BBTS.

now that SHF released their pictures for Spider-Man Homecoming, which one you think is better between Mafex and SHF? I think I prefer Mafex for the seemingly better leg range of movement and tom holland head. SHF textures on the suit also feel a bit too much imo, Mafex textures look a bit more subtle at least in photo

how reliable is mafex promo pictures of their face sculpt compare to actual product? Tom Holland face looks great in promo picture, but I remember the Ryu face look different in Storm Collectible figure between promo pic and release. so wondering if that's normal for action figure release.

DemiMatt

The Figuarts Turtles seem like the surest bet. Has a classic design, not weirdly articulated like the Revoltechs, not prohibitively expensive like the 1/6 stuff, and not clumsily large like the Neca quarterscale.

I was really upset that the DreamEX line was announced after & looked heaps better than the Mondo line. I love the use of actual fabric materials & they chose a great design for them. My big gripe is that they seem to have the same issue as the Mondo turtles but they just look better - and I think when paired next to Shredder or Casey they'll look even more like action figures.

I might end up buying the Figuarts Turtles as my first 6" figures . . . How does FIguarts compared to the Bandai Tamashi & Damashii lines? I was thinking of mixing lines, but the Figuarts seem to have the best versions of figures if they overlap between lines.

So I managed to grab an F91 Metal Build preorder for $215 and I'm like 99% sure I don't want him but I know he's hard to come by. Should I keep it? Does anyone here need one without markup? Sniped someone's canceled one on BBTS.
not sure if you want to keep it but locknessmobster may want it if he can cancel his other pre-order. if no one takes it wait a bit before you dump it. it may go up in price.

*because Raph is awesome and you're the king of no self-control Mr. Hot Toys and Gundam and Mythic Legions BackerKit in the span of a few weeks
LOL

i was kidding about stalking the shipping truck =) though nice grab!

Top Bottom