• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Active shooter incident' reported at Tennessee naval center

Status
Not open for further replies.
They kill because of a belief in some diety. That doesn't sound stupidly over the top to you? We aren't dealing with high IQ people here.

No, it's not that it sounds stupid; it just seems stereotypically villainous...like hearing the 'lamentations of our womenfolk' or something.

And I thought Da'esh was social media savvy.

Doesn't matter how it sounds. The fact it posted about the shooting before it even happened is the part to take away from this.

Seeing as how the account conveniently doesn't exist anymore and the only sources that corroborate that tweet (as well as this Berlin incident that I cannot find anything about online except for some Berlin-based ISIS recruiters for an attack in Syria), it's shaky to trust these tweets until we see further evidence.

Until CNN or some other source corroborates this, I'm finding it hard to believe this. As of now, even the government officials are trying to figure out if this was a terrorist incident or a criminal one.

Doesn't matter how it sounds. The fact it posted about the shooting before it even happened is the part to take away from this.

It probably seems so amateurish because it's (possibly) being done by a single extremist. A very easy comparison to make are all those racist / anti-Obama / far right posts on Facebook.

This one is suspect. IS are typically very good at social media, this seems so amateurish in comparison to what they normally put out.

Maybe it's the attacker who tweeted this as Coins suggested?

Depending on the location it was screenshot from it could be during or after the attack. We already know the first was done beforehand.

If this is his account then how could it tweet during or after?

Possibly more than just him making use of the account?

I don't have the answers of course, but it does worry me.

No, it's not that it sounds stupid; it just seems stereotypically villainous...like hearing the 'lamentations of our womenfolk' or something.

And I thought Da'esh was social media savvy.

Seeing as how the account conveniently doesn't exist anymore and the only sources that corroborate that tweet (as well as this Berlin incident that I cannot find anything about online except for some Berlin-based ISIS recruiters for an attack in Syria), it's shaky to trust these tweets until we see further evidence.

Until CNN or some other source corroborates this, I'm finding it hard to believe this. As of now, even the government officials are trying to figure out if this was a terrorist incident or a criminal one.

I understand what you're saying, but even if this is just his account, doesn't really kill the idea that the attack was committed by an ISIS supporter, does it?

Is there belief that these are fake and created after the fact?

werks

Banned
So you're telling me all the people shot were good guys with guns? You'd almost think that solution doesn't actually work.

Seriously, though, I hope they're all ok.
So if the first thing that comes to your mind is pushing your political agenda, you should at least do some research first. The only people that carry weapons on military installations are military police on duty. Military bases have less guns readily available the rest of the country. All the guns are stored empty in locked armories and all the ammo is stored separately in ammo points.

This is in a strip mall recruiting station. They doesn't even have personal weapons there.

Pillville

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Like what in the hell are you talking about?

Is this where you make some really compressed jpeg images about states rights?

What the fuck are you talking about?

If you had an ounce of reading comprehension you'd realize I don't agree with any of it. I'm saying right wingers are going to use this to say that companies should ban Muslim items they way they did confederate items.

Good point. The video of them burning the Jordian pilot alive had high production values. Way to go ISIS.

You're missing the point.

That tweet is by far the most amateurish thing IS will have put out, it's hard to believe they've suddenly gone from being this hugely social media savvy group who put out pretty sophisticated and high production value content to that...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

If you had an ounce of reading comprehension you'd realize I don't agree with any of it. I'm saying right wingers are going to use this to say that companies should ban Muslim items they way they did confederate items.

What the hell is a "Muslim item"??

Right wingers are going to say "there should be more guns" -- like they always do when there is a mass shooting.

not to mention -- way to miss the context of the confederate flag in united states history vs the history of Islam in America

Sothpaw

You're missing the point.

That tweet is by far the most amateurish thing IS will have put out, it's hard to believe they've suddenly gone from being this hugely social media savvy group who put out pretty sophisticated and high production value content to that...

No I do agree with you. I am well aware of how the enemy of civilization is operating.

Now I am seeing that others are claiming that the initial claims of the timestamp being from NY is wrong and the timestamp is PST, not EST.

I don't even...

This is why I don't usually follow news. -.-

This would have never happened if the Mets stayed on WFAN instead of going on WOR. Fucking Mets.

Yea because Walmart is packed full of ISIS flags...

I'm not rallying against a non-Capitalist state, but I mean, if there's a place that knows how to make hijabs over here in the US, it's Wal-Mart.

So it seems this guy was a known terrorist sympathiser and was on watch lists. I know you can't deport native born people but the guy is from Kuwait via Jordan and should have had his visa cancelled and been sent back. Does the US do this? I know the UK has done it.

SSPssp

So it seems this guy was a known terrorist sympathiser and was on watch lists. I know you can't deport native born people but the guy is from Kuwait via Jordan and should have had his visa cancelled and been sent back. Does the US do this? I know the UK has done it.

He was an American citizen so we can't (and shouldn't) have deported him. Also, FBI is saying he wasn't on any watch lists.

He was an American citizen so we can't (and shouldn't) have deported him. Also, FBI is saying he wasn't on any watch lists.

Ah, OK then. In other countries the citizenship can be revoked if they have dual citizenship. I just read about the report of being on watchlists being denied.

SSPssp

Ah, OK then. In other countries the citizenship can be revoked if they have dual citizenship. I just read about the report of being on watchlists being denied.

Yeah, if they won't become stateless because they have another nationality, its possible to strip citizenship if theres evidence of treason, etc. Its very hard to do that in the USA, I don't know about other countries.

Abounder

Banned
Goddamn another Muslim terrorist, RIP to the Marines and hopefully the injured pulls through.

We need to start having armed guards roaming around like France does in Paris

A few hours, ie whether the tweets were just before the attack or hours after.

http://gawker.com/isis-didnt-actually-tweet-a-warning-about-the-chattan-1718365270

Looks like it was after.

Pacific Time and Eastern Time, west coast vs east coast. Pacific Time is three hours behind Eastern.

It says 11:48 AM. If that was PST, then that translates to 2:48 PM EST, about 3 hours after the event happened.

3 hour time difference. 10:30am tweet from west coast = 1:30pm in Chattanooga.

Thanks.

So both might be fakes? Guess we'll have to wait and see what the FBI dig up.

MIMIC

Banned
It's so sad when seemingly decent individuals go rogue like this. By most accounts, the killer seemed like a good, all-around individual.

Dishwalla

Banned
So recruiting stations in the middle of suburban strip malls should have armed guards? And if they do have armed guards, would they be able to do anything when someone drives up, shoots at the building without even exiting his car, and drives off, as what happened here?

Abounder

Banned
So recruiting stations in the middle of suburban strip malls should have armed guards? And if they do have armed guards, would they be able to do anything when someone drives up, shoots at the building without even exiting his car, and drives off, as what happened here?

Definitely. It's mind boggling that recruiting stations are defenseless in this era of Muslim terrorism, this isn't even the first attack. No more lives need to be lost for this.

Muslim terrorists spray and pray, and yes an armed guard would be better prepared and have the training for hit and runs.

Muslim terrorism isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Definitely. It's mind boggling that recruiting stations are defenseless in this era of Muslim terrorism, this isn't even the first attack. No more lives need to be lost for this.

Muslim terrorists spray and pray, and yes an armed guard would be better prepared and have the training for hit and runs.

Muslim terrorism isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Era of Muslim terrorism? I'm still more likely to be killed by a non-Muslim terrorist attack living in America.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/14/are-all-terrorists-muslims-it-s-not-even-close.html

Abounder

Banned
Era of Muslim terrorism? I'm still more likely to be killed by a non-Muslim terrorist attack living in America.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/14/are-all-terrorists-muslims-it-s-not-even-close.html

Where the hell does it state that? Quote it because as far as I can tell it only compares dying from Muslim terrorists to dying by toddlers; the article is written terribly and is all over the place. Comparing total terror counts != violent kills? It also uses American stats from 2005

And yea Muslim terrorism sure as hell is prevalent in the modern era, they are a globalized network willing to die in broad daylight for Islam.

Anyway military guards would be a better counter measure than nothing no matter who is terrorizing. They have the body armor, weapons, and training to be prepared for spray and pray amateurs; and these terror attacks won't stop anytime soon since that's the whole point of terrorism

Calcium

Banned
This is pretty surreal. I was in that area maybe an hour before the shooting. I've also been in that recruiting center a few times when my brother was joining the AF. I'd never think something like this would happen here.

riotous

Banned
Where the hell does it state that? Quote it because as far as I can tell it only compares dying from Muslim terrorists to dying by toddlers;

Errrr...

Back in the United States, the percentage of terror attacks committed by Muslims is almost as miniscule as in Europe. An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims. actuality, 42 percent of terror attacks were carried out by Latino-related groups, followed by 24 percent perpetrated by extreme left-wing actors.

It also has stats for Europe and most of the world; with links/sources. Don't have time to check the sources though.

Abounder

Banned
Errrr...

It also has stats for Europe and most of the world; with links/sources. Don't have time to check the sources though.

Errr...

He was talking about how he was more likely to be killed by a non Muslim terrorist attack vs a Muslim terrorist in the USA. None of those stats talked about kills, and that American source is data from 2005. You don't even have to check it since it's right there in your quote.

Are we really denying that Muslim terrorism isn't a thing that should be taken seriously? Of course there are a ton of other issues as well though

Joezie

Not counting the recent event, another study featured on TIME states that you are still nearly twice at risk of being the victim of extremist non-muslims than jihadists. At least in the US.

However this news is still terrible.

Errr...

He was talking about how he was more likely to be killed by a non Muslim terrorist attack vs a Muslim terrorist in the USA. None of those stats talked about kills, and that American source is data from 2005. You don't even have to check it since it's right there in your quote.

Are we really denying that Muslim terrorism isn't a thing that should be taken seriously? Of course there are a ton of other issues as well though

In the US? Not really. Mainland Europe is in far more danger of attacks due to the ease of getting in and out, and the muslim population as well as simple proximity to the Middle East.

This is a sad day, I'm not really concerned about islamic extremists in the US, I'm worried about insane, delusional white kids who have insanely easy access to guns who go around blowing away girls because they never got laid.

I'm far more likely to be a victim of that type of crime (I'm not a girl but you get the idea)

The idea of walking around with armed serviceman for the entire country is scary and not needed and would be a pretty insane step.

Abounder

Banned
Not counting the recent event, another study featured on TIME states that you are still nearly twice at risk of being the victim of extremist non-muslims than jihadists. At least in the US.

However this news is still terrible.

Why doesn't it include the 9/11 attacks? But yea the military should be prepared for all sorts of situations and it's not just Muslim radicals that they have to worry about.

Joezie

Why doesn't it include the 9/11 attacks? But yea the military should be prepared for all sorts of situations and it's not just Muslims that they have to worry about.

*The tables below show the lethal terrorist incidents in the United States since 9/11.

Abounder

Banned
In the US? Not really. Mainland Europe is in far more danger of attacks due to the ease of getting in and out, and the muslim population as well as simple proximity to the Middle East.

This is a sad day, I'm not really concerned about islamic extremists in the US, I'm worried about insane, delusional white kids who have insanely easy access to guns who go around blowing away girls because they never got laid.

I'm far more likely to be a victim of that type of crime (I'm not a girl but you get the idea)

The idea of walking around with armed serviceman for the entire country is scary and not needed and would be a pretty insane step.

Travel is easy everywhere and Muslim terrorists exploit the "good kids" like what we see here or in the Boston marathon bombers who didn't even really need guns.

No more military recruiters need to be open targets, too many have died for this vulnerability. But I agree the military and American public has many more things to worry about than just Muslim radicals, but I consider that as a derail - no one wins in whatboutism

*The tables below show the lethal terrorist incidents in the United States since 9/11.

Gotcha

kmfdmpig

So if it's moved back a day then it shifts from
26 and 48
to
3000 and 48

In other words the statistics can support either narrative people want them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom