• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Active shooter incident' reported at Tennessee naval center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, not another shooting :/

But where do get people the idea that it was an act of terrorism like it's in the OP?

NYT reports this morning that US Attorney considering this as a possible act if terrorism:

Gunman in Chattanooga: ‘Life Is Short and Bitter’
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/1...-ordinary-boy-neighbors-recall.html?referrer=

Personally, this seems like an obvious act of terror to me, but I don't think the gunman being white, brown, Muslim, atgeust, Christian, a teen, an adult, or any other personal characteristic should make a difference there.

What makes it an act of terror for me is when anybody plans and targets peaceful people doing peaceful things and murders them. Gabbie Giffords shooting, the Colorado movie theatre, this, whatever else.

Jag

Make no mistake this was Islamic terrorism instigated by a hostile entity against the United States. Islamic extremists have learned how to use social media to effectively reach out to a disenfranchised minority of people, generally young and not exclusively (but predominantly) Muslim. It is a designed program of terror designed to evoke a response and push more people over to their cause.

Saying this is not terrorism is being willfully blind to the causes. Mohammad Youssduf Adulazeer most likely had issues (whether mental or not) and Islamic extremists were able to radicalize him. Dylan Roof also had issues and racists were able to radicalize him as well. While Roof was a product of domestic hatred that resulted in racial terrorism, Adulazeer was a product of Islamic extremism that resulted in international Islamic terrorism against the United States.

USC-fan

Banned
Roof shooting was clearly a hate crime. I don't see that as terrorism since it was a single incident.

Islamic terrorism or extremism is the single greatest treat to most nations in the world right now.
Geez, not another shooting :/

But where do get people the idea that it was an act of terrorism like it's in the OP?
Just look at the guys name and look what he targeted. Seem very simple....

Slayven

Roof shooting was clearly a hate crime. I don't see that as terrorism since it was a single incident.

Islamic terrorism or extremism is the single greatest treat to most nations in the world right now.

He left a manifesto declaring he wanted to start a race war, it was an act of terrorison

USC-fan

Banned
He left a manifesto declaring he wanted to start a race war, it was an act of terrorison

Well he completely failed. Love this get the same reaction as that did. 1000's of Muslim and non-Muslim standing up against this protesting. Like we saw happen in Charleston.

Mecha

What they believe, and you do realize that Hindus don't read and follow every text, right? Books of old laws like Manusmrti are unimportant to the vast majority of modern Hindus. Similarly the Garuda Purana describes a hell in Hinduism, but many don't believe in it. Trying to generalize Hinduism is futile, there's no central dogma. Some believe in karma, some don't, some believe in God(s) some don't, some follow the teaches of certain books and others don't, some understand those books in certain ways and others don't, etc. It doesn't make any sense to say "Hinduism is misogynistic" because of one book in the leagues of books people can choose to read/believe in.

Edit: But I will agree in Indian society Hindu's and others don't treat females great and need to treat them better.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I imagine state laws are irrelevant to federal restrictions to their employees.

Indeed. Much like federal courthouses in states have their own rules that supersede those covering state courthouses.

This attack strikes me as similar to those happening in the middle east against recruiting stations and military training facilities.

He had mental illness...wait, he's not white, silly me.

Your schtick is getting fucking old. every god damn thread

Shooters of color are called ‘terrorists’ and ‘thugs.’ Why are white shooters called ‘mentally ill’? (from Washington Post)

It’s not about mental illness: The big lie that always follows mass shootings by white males (from Salon)

Terrorist or mentally ill? All a matter of color (from Tampa Bay Times)

Dylann Roof isn't mentally ill—he's a terrorist (from The Daily Dot)

Is it really just a figment of one's imagination if people smarter than all three of us is figuring out how media uses different buzzwords based on race? I'm not asking to be banned, but I am saying that even though it was hard sarcasm, can anyone call Angelus a liar?

reply with the "You're not wrong, but you are an asshole" memes if you have to

If the schtick is old, maybe American society and media should try and make is less easy for people to call them out on it every single time. I think that's what really getting old.

jmood88

Shooters of color are called ‘terrorists’ and ‘thugs.’ Why are white shooters called ‘mentally ill’? (from Washington Post)

It’s not about mental illness: The big lie that always follows mass shootings by white males (from Salon)

Is it really just a figment of one's imagination if people smarter than all three of us is figuring out how media uses different buzzwords based on race? I'm not asking to be banned, but I am saying that even though it was hard sarcasm, can anyone call Angelus a liar?

If the schtick is old, maybe American society and media should try and make is less easy for people to call them out on it every single time. I think that's what really getting old.
Exactly. We just had a situation where people twisted themselves in knots to turn a guy who explicitly stated his views on minorities and said that he wanted to kill black people into a possible victim of mental illness and come up with crazy definitions of terrorism that left him out yet the moment this shooter's name came out, it was immediately labeled terrorism.

So by that definition the Oklahoma City bombing wasn't an act of domestic terrorism?

Do you always stick your tongue out when people say things you don't like?

No. It's pretty obvious the poster I was initially replying to was talking about the numerous shootings that happen throughout the US, not just this single incident. Arguing against gun control by bring up one single incident is idiotic. Maybe instead of doing that show me some information that backs up strict gun control doesn't help reduce the number of fatal shootings in a country? Could you do that?

USC-fan

Banned
So by that definition the Oklahoma City bombing wasn't an act of domestic terrorism?
Yes that clearly was. That clearly wasn't a hate crime.

Edit: on second thought I wouldn't call that terrorism either.

I would say someone like dc sniper would be or the Unabomber.

jmizzal

Anyone watching/listening to the CNN interview of one of his HS friends?

"Funny", "witty", "well-liked/popular" were just some of the terms used to describe him. None of that "he was on meds/always a loner" kind of stuff.

People need to watch that old show Sleeper Cell, just becouse people are here living a normal life in the US doesnt mean they dont have terrorist connections. They said he had contact and visited his home country, he prob wasnt some guy just happy to be an American, he was prob being fed hate his whole life, they get them while they are kids.

USC-fan

Banned
So can you explain to me the difference between an act of domestic terrorism and a hate crime in these two cases?

I don't understand your definition of terrorism, it's not consistent.
I don't think it's what matter really what you label it. I can understand the train of thought that would label any mass killings terrorism and you wouldnt be wrong.

Only time it really matter IMO is if the state doesn't have death penalty. Then it's always terrorism!!

Jag

People need to watch that old show Sleeper Cell, just becouse people are here living a normal life in the US doesnt mean they dont have terrorist connections. They said he had contact and visited his home country, he prob wasnt some guy just happy to be an American, he was prob being fed hate his whole life, they get them while they are kids.

I don't think they got him while he was a kid. He was clearly brainwashed by religion early on, but he radicalized later in life after he visited the middle east. It seems to be a pattern. If they eventually release his social media information (after investigating it), it will probably show he had a few 'handlers' that taught him the way to heaven.

They don't only get them when they are kids, they get them when they are disenfranchised and struggling young adults.

AHA! Found the article. Fascinating but terrifying read:

ISIS and the Lonely Young American

Even though the Islamic State’s ideology is explicitly at odds with the West, the group is making a relentless effort to recruit Westerners into its ranks, eager to exploit them for their outsize propaganda value. Through January this year, at least 100 Americans were thought to have traveled to join jihadists in Syria and Iraq, among nearly 4,000 Westerners who had done so.

The reach of the Islamic State’s recruiting effort has been multiplied by an enormous cadre of operators on social media. The terrorist group itself maintains a 24-hour online operation, and its effectiveness is vastly extended by larger rings of sympathetic volunteers and fans who pass on its messages and viewpoint, reeling in potential recruits, analysts say.

The roof shooting was to cause fear and start a race war. What the fuck are you talking about? It's text book terrorism.

While I agree this was probably also a terrorist attack, you need to pull you're head out of your ass

Jag

The 24-year-old gunman who killed four Marines in an attack on two military sites here traveled to Jordan last year for about seven months, a senior intelligence official said Friday.

Although counterterrorism officials had not been investigating Mr. Abdulazeez before Thursday’s shooting, federal officials familiar with the inquiry said that his father had been investigated years ago for giving money to an organization with possible ties to terrorists.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/18/us/chattanooga-gunmans-past-scoured-for-extremist-ties.html

It's all gonna come out now. You want to hate the US, fine but blow shit up in your own country. His friends even said that he referred to the middle east as his 'home'.

joedan

The hell is up with people automatically going on the attack on Fox and people using the word 'terrorism'? A Muslim ISIS supporter just murdered people on military property for fuck's sake.

It's the equivalent of when a white shooter goes into a church and shoot black members of the congregation and Fox News spends all their time talking about 'how the liberal media is reporting on the issue' than the crime itself. Deflection. Left does it. Right does it. Lots of politics. Lots of biases.

jmizzal

It's all gonna come out now. You want to hate the US, fine but blow shit up in your own country. His friends even said that he referred to the middle east as his 'home'.

Even his dad had terrorist connections, yea this guy was a sleeper cell plant

Even his dad had terrorist connections, yea this guy was a sleeper cell plant

federal officials familiar with the inquiry said that his father had been investigated years ago for giving money to an organization with possible ties to terrorists

Yup, seems pretty conclusive the dad had terrorist connections.

There's no room for doubt there.

The typical Fox News demographic.

commedieu

Banned

wait, that's not shtick.. thats factual..

hey angelus, stop race baitin will ya?

USC-fan

Banned
The typical Fox News demographic.
Thanks for adding this great point to this discussion.

I just like to add that whites targeting black church is decades old and was one of the reason hate crimes laws were made. Never were they label terrorism back then but we labeled them hate crimes.

Dilks says that while there are a lot of similarities between hate crimes and acts of terrorism, the distinction comes in that acts of terror are planned attacks that are done to draw attention to some cause, rather than to inflict harm or suffering on a particular identity group.

Here are the main differences between a hate crime and an act of terrorism, according to Hodge and Dilks:

Hate crime:

additional charge that adds severity of punishment
used to send a message to perpetrators, victims and other community members who share the identity
often spontaneous and fueled by drugs/alcohol
Terrorism:

orchestrated and often part of a series of events
often associated with formal organization or group
may mobilize an entire response force (FBI, U.S. Army)
http://kcur.org/post/what-difference-between-hate-crime-and-act-terrorism

Special C

I like how FOX news is considered the crappy news just because its the only right wing one. Left wing media is just as bad.

jmood88

I like how FOX news is considered the crappy news just because its the only right wing one. Left wing media is just as bad.
It's considered crappy news because it is and they don't even bother to pretend like they're anything beyond entertainment for republicans.

joedan

Or having their on-air talent throw a fit when it became obvious that their preferred candidate wasn't going to win an election?

Christianaphobia. There was that MSNBC guy who said he felt a trickle of something run down his pants leg when his preferred candidate Obama won his presidency.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What they believe, and you do realize that Hindus don't read and follow every text, right? Books of old laws like Manusmrti are unimportant to the vast majority of modern Hindus. Similarly the Garuda Purana describes a hell in Hinduism, but many don't believe in it. Trying to generalize Hinduism is futile, there's no central dogma. Some believe in karma, some don't, some believe in God(s) some don't, some follow the teaches of certain books and others don't, some understand those books in certain ways and others don't, etc. It doesn't make any sense to say "Hinduism is misogynistic" because of one book in the leagues of books people can choose to read/believe in.

Edit: But I will agree in Indian society Hindu's and others don't treat females great and need to treat them better.

Also the caste system is problematic to say the least.

Mecha

Also the caste system is problematic to say the least.

The caste system was originally a cultural construct created to evenly distribute work, the caste system at that time wasn't a hierarchy. People started adding a hierarchy to the levels of caste, and it caused what we have now. The majority of the people who follow the caste system these days are uneducated individuals, many modern Hindu figures and followers don't believe that the caste system works in modern times. The caste system at it's core was to distribute work, we don't need a system like that anymore in 2015.

Coins

Banned
Depends.

Do you have or How would you feel having Muslim neighbors?

Are you ok with Muslims co-existing in your community?

I'd rather not have any religious people around me that base their beliefs on a book that instructs you to not accept other people because of sexual orientation or different beliefs.

I'd rather not have any religious people around me that base their beliefs on a book that instructs you to not accept other people because of sexual orientation or different beliefs.

Ok thats fine. But, you wanted to know how would it be possible to tell if you're an islamophobe.

All I asked is, if you were ok with them co-existing along side you.

Edit:

Allow me to elaborate further, let's say, you and I just met and we became friends... But at some point you find out I'm Muslim, would you stop being my friend?

Coins

Banned
Ok thats fine. But, you wanted to know how would it be possible to tell if you're an islamophobe.

All I asked is, if you were ok with them co-existing along side you.

Edit:

Allow me to elaborate further, let's say, you and I just met and we became friends... But at some point you find out I'm Muslim, would you stop being my friend?

Yes, but I'd also distance myself from you if I found out you were a Christian, too. You might be an upstanding person but your belief system has a foundation of a system that hurts other human beings for simply being human. So yeah, I would have to cease being involved in that friendship. In my life, I have distanced myself from all religious people in my family, including a brother, aunt and two grandmothers. I literally haven't spoken to them in years because they promote Christianity.

Mecha

Yes, but I'd also distance myself from you if I found out you were a Christian, too. You might be an upstanding person but your belief system has a foundation of a system that hurts other human beings for simply being human. So yeah, I would have to cease being involved in that friendship. In my life, I have distanced myself from all religious people in my family, including a brother, aunt and two grandmothers. I literally haven't spoken to them in years because they promote Christianity.

Well I'm glad that you seem to be far more accepting of others than those intolerant religious people.

hmmmmm, Since you have no tolerance for anyone with abrahamic beliefs regardless of what it is I would say you're not islamaphobic since that implies a focus on the one religion.

Coins

Banned
Well I'm glad that you seem to be far more accepting of others than those intolerant religious people.

Am I supposed to accept religious people when I find the religion disgusting? Have you turned on your TV lately? The Christian majority is waging a war of words against gays and blacks. The Christian outcry over marriage is disgusting and you can watch several dozen peckerwood parades as those good old southern boys drive through black towns in their coal rolling Jesus trucks thinking theyre being clever by silently saying "Fuck you n*ggers" by waving their bullshit flag in people's faces.

Let's not even start with the religious fucks in the Middle East who are cool with stoning women and throwing homos off of buildings.

But hey, I'm the asshole because I don't want to accept religion.

USC-fan

Banned
Am I supposed to accept religious people when I find the religion disgusting? Have you turned on your TV lately? The Christian majority is waging a war of words against gays and blacks. The Christian outcry over marriage is disgusting and you can watch several dozen peckerwood parades as those good old southern boys drive through black towns in their coal rolling Jesus trucks thinking theyre being clever by silently saying "Fuck you n*ggers" by waving their bullshit flag in people's faces.

Let's not even start with the religious fucks in the Middle East who are cool with stoning women and throwing homos off of buildings.

But hey, I'm the asshole because I don't want to accept religion.
You understand you are talking about billions of people? You dont fight hate with hate.

I'm Christian and support gay marriage.
To his/her defense, if you're going to fight against something for not being tolerant you should at least exhibit tolerance.

You know...treat others as you would have them treat you or to say it another way, practice what you preach
exactly.

A guy I met a year or so ago who is actually from Tennessee had classes with this guy. He said it was kind of surreal to see him on the news like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom