• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision and EA tried to buy Minecraft

Derpyduck

Banned
Really wish it was one of them. Or some other 3rd party.

Except they haven't been... There's a ton of dlcs that haven't made it to playstation before and after the acquisition and the other day I made a thread about the Simpsons dlc which is exclusive to xbox

Been that way long before MS bought them.

God damn at the Forbes article, everyone should read it.

He sounds like he doesnt care about the sucess and its just enjoying life, he set himself an "adult day care" office where he just hangs out to read reddit and twitter lol.

Indeed. Its good to see him getting away from all the negative stuff and just enjoying himself.

I think you guys are missing the point. If EA and Activision owned this license they would simply be content milking it.

I think Microsoft can use the property to leverage some of there other technologies like VR/AR, cloud computation, and cross play/cross save with Windows.

Microsoft doesn't release annual games for IP - "see, they killed it!"

Microsoft releases annual games for IP - "see, they're milking it!"

Some of the complaints in this thread are utterly bizarre.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Divorced wife before the billions must have some amazingly bitter tales to tell.

Notch sounds like a wreck walking, I hope he has been wise enough to employ some damn good psychiatrists and therapists.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

xB2dn2R.gif

Fox318

Just like Forza which they milk yearly, or Halo which is a shadow of its former self, or Fable which is.....yea....or Rare which they've run into the ground, or ensemble. ...yea, I disagree

I agree now that they aren't at their best but at least there is still a demand for those games.

Activision drove Tony Hawk into the ground.

Noogy

Call me optimistic, but I see this as Microsoft having saved Minecraft. I'm very interested to see how it pans out.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft seems to be the lesser of the three evils in this case.

Agreed. At least it will have some degree of integration with Windows 10. At least, that would be the logical thing to do.

Derpyduck

Banned
and it hasn't gotten any better. at best, those dlcs were timed exclusives, but one can infer they've become permanent after the acquisition.

I don't mind the texture and skin packs arriving later, but when the fixes and content updates arrive late, that bothers me. At this point, I'm just happy to have a PS4 version of the game.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
People forget that MS is moving towards software on all platforms; as pointed out, the Outlook app is the best app to use GMail for. They're planning to release Office on iOS and Android devices, etc. So unless the new CEO is fired randomly; MS is going more towards having ubiquitous software rather than the walled garden approach. (This change in philosophy has been huge news in the software / business world out here in Seattle)

I don't mind the texture and skin packs arriving later, but when the fixes and content updates arrive late, that bothers me. At this point, I'm just happy to have a PS4 version of the game.
they've been delaying updates on the playstation versions as well?

this shit wouldn't have been happening if ea or activision bought it instead of mS.

Ardenyal

And each Forza game is awesome. If it was a crappy game, you'd have a point. Since they're awesome, not so much. I like awesome things. I like having awesome things often.

Except Forza 5 which was designed like a free to play game and sold for 60$ at launch.

casnix

but I want my Minecraft Premium Edition :(
Don't worry. You have more choices this way...

Minecraft Starter
Minecraft Home Basic
Minecraft Home Premium
Minecraft Professional
Minecraft Enterprise
Minecraft Ultimate

:p

Ardenyal

Thanks for clarifying you have no idea what you're talking about.

With Forza 4 we had car tokens that range from one dollar to three dollars - the most expensive car was ten million credits in game, and it only cost three car tokens which would have been three dollars.

That felt like it was not making the car exclusive enough for those who are willing to pay. So we made car tokens equal to credits - it's not about making more money, it was actually about saving people's time when doing the grind.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-12-fixing-forza-5-how-turn-10-wants-to-turn-things-around

I'm sorry, I forgot Forza 4 already had the obnoxious microtransactions.

Microsoft definitely is not "the lesser of the three evils".

Genio88

Thanks MS for saving us.

Edit: I seriously doubt Minecraft will go exclusive... Maybe Minecraft 2 gets a timed exclusive on MS platforms but thats where it will end, I'll be shocked if it's perm exclusive. There's far, far, far too much money to be left on the table restricting it to MS platforms.

I'm pretty sure instead that Minecraft 2 or what ever new game from Mojang will be an Xbox and Microsoft Lumia exclusive, Minecraft was already out in every platform and there were deals between Mojang and other companies, so Microsoft couldn't just delete the other versions. The money motivation has no sense, in that way Microsoft should release all its exclusives to Playstation 4 too

I'm pretty sure instead that Minecraft 2 or what ever new game from Mojang will be an Xbox and Microsoft Lumia exclusive, Minecraft was already out in every platform and there were deals between Mojang and other companies, so Microsoft couldn't just delete the other versions. The money motivation has no sense, in that way Microsoft should release all its exclusives to Playstation 4 too
so your saying all future minecraft iterations will be, either mS/xbox exclusive or just not on playstation.

Mabase

Notch sounds like a wreck walking, I hope he has been wise enough to employ some damn good psychiatrists and therapists.

LOL@ the Forbes article:
As for girls, “I tried to use Tinder, it didn’t work. In Sweden it’s horrible; there’s only like four people.” Hence the $180,000 nightclub bills.

"Hence, the $180,000 nightclub bills"
Tell me about it Notch...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-12-fixing-forza-5-how-turn-10-wants-to-turn-things-around

I'm sorry, I forgot Forza 4 already had the obnoxious microtransactions.

So you've actually jumped from the original game you were trying to slate? Incredible.

Again, that has no relation to your post about Forza 5. Obnoxious MT have no bearing on, or indeed, evidence on your claim of "designed like a F2P" game. The fundamentals of the core game have remained the same since forever and always. Grinding is part of the game. If people - most likely casuals - want to pay for cars then more power to them. They won't be playing game in a months time, ruin the core experience for themselves and are probably shite at the game to boot.

So, I'm still not sure where the $60 dig is coming from either? The game was well supported post-launch with free tracks and reasonable DLC. Not bad at all for a launch game which is actually the best in the series as far as the racing is concerned.

Genio88

so your saying all future minecraft iterations will be, either mS/xbox exclusive or just not on playstation.

Yes, that's what i think, if Microsoft pays 2.5 billions for a developer, they do that to push their own platforms, of course i'm talking about an hypothetical Mincraft 2, not stuff for the actual Minecraft

Thanks for clarifying you have no idea what you're talking about.
So you've actually jumped from the original game you were trying to slate? Incredible.

Again, that has no relation to your post about Forza 5. Obnoxious MT have no bearing on, or indeed, evidence on your claim of "designed like a F2P" game. The fundamentals of the core game have remained the same since forever and always. Grinding is part of the game. If people - most likely casuals - want to pay for cars then more power to them. They won't be playing game in a months time, ruin the core experience for themselves and are probably shite at the game to boot.

So, I'm still not sure where the $60 dig is coming from either? The game was well supported post-launch with free tracks and reasonable DLC. Not bad at all for a launch game which is actually the best in the series as far as the racing is concerned.
Sure thing, buddy. That "part of the game" was F2P-worthy and had them backpedaling like nobody's business post-launch. Love that revisionist take though.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Good for him, and Minecraft as an IP overall. The best possible choice out of those provided in the article.

That "part of the game" was F2P-worthy and had them backpedaling like nobody's business post-launch. Love that revisionist take though.

Back-pedalling on what, though? I've now got more credits than I can shake a stick it and the online economy was fucked because everyone ended up with the E21. It isn't revisionist history when I've played the game through every iteration and the game is expected to have a grinding element to it.

Yes, that's what i think, if Microsoft pays 2.5 billions for a developer, they do that to push their own platforms, of course i'm talking about an hypothetical Mincraft 2, not stuff for the actual Minecraft
well that's going to fucking suck for all the fans mojang has garnered on the playstation platforms.

thelastword

Banned
Well, If someone was giving me 2.5 billion for my franchise I'd take it in a heartbeat. I definitely believe it was the money, it's always about the money with these deals anyway.

Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
State of Decay
Scalebound
Powerstar Golf
Crimson Dragon
Quantum Break
Ori and the Blind Forest
D4
Kalimba
Screamride
Lococycle
Project Spark
Wow, what a list. I'm not sure that list scales well to the franchises people were talking about though. I'm also not sure that these titles even fancy the hardcore xbox demographic of halo and gears lovers. I mean, you're talking about crimson dragon, lococycle, ori and the blind forest. You also don't know how Quantum Break will end up since so many new ip's have been given the battering stick lately, some after lots of hype from the press too. Destiny, Titanfall, The Crew, Watch dogs, Evolve etc..

I agree now that they aren't at their best but at least there is still a demand for those games.

Activision drove Tony Hawk into the ground.
Isn't a new Tony Hawk coming this year according to the skater's own tweets.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm not sure that list scales well to the franchises people were talking about though. I'm also not sure that these titles even fancy the hardcore xbox demographic of halo and gears lovers.

Do people still think the Xbox demographic are meat heads?

Noobcraft

anybody know what notch's net worth was before he sold?
Let's put it this way. If he spent just 1% of it on Wii U's, he would double Wii U sales.

This is not an actual fact

Actual fact though: based off his current net worth (~1.5 Billion USD), he could buy approximately 6 million Wii U's (assuming he bought them at $250 a piece)

Let's put it this way. If he spent just 1% of it on Wii U's, he would double Wii U sales.

This is not an actual fact

Actual fact though: based off his current net worth (~1.5 Billion USD), he could buy approximately 6 million Wii U's (assuming he bought them at $250 a piece)
where'd the other $500m go?

KingJ2002

Hmm... doesn't seem like much has changed since Microsoft's acquisition... but i can definitely say if Activision got their hands on it... it could be another pillar to their other hit franchises.

I mean:

Skylanders
Minecraft
World of Warcraft
Call of Duty
Destiny
Guitar Hero

along with their Movie tie in titles... wow... they would be untouchable for years to come... but something also tells me they would screw up the Minecraft formula.

Blizzard

Banned
Should we make a new thread about this one? I was searching to see if it's posted. It's a pretty long and fairly well-written article, in my opinion.

It's kind of sad and interesting. I didn't know about the suicide, for example. I know having insane amounts of money makes up for a lot of things in life, but I still hope he finds some sort of peace and a healthy lifestyle.

Chris1

I think all MS exclusives are different to minecraft though lol. Minecraft is huge, halo etc are just big.

I'll be shocked if it's true exclusive, MS will make their money off hololens & minecraft I imagine.. not xbox.

Back-pedalling on what, though?
Oh hey let me google that for you :)

What New Forza is Doing About Forza 5's Disastrous Economy lol @ that URL, btw

Forza Motorsport's 5's Microtransactions Controversy "Couldn't Go Unnoticed", Forza Horizon 2 Dev Says

Fixing Forza 5: How Turn 10 wants to win fans back

Forza 5 Proves Microtransactions in Games are a Real Problem Now

Forza 5 And Top Car Will Run You $110, Why Is This Okay?

Tons more where that came from. It's not just backpedaling, it's a full on backwards sprint. Any faster and we'll be going back in time.

I've now got more credits than I can shake a stick it and the online economy was fucked because everyone ended up with the E21. It isn't revisionist history when I've played the game through every iteration and the game is expected to have a grinding element to it.
On behalf of gamers who aren't bending over for F2P bullshit in $60 games...you're welcome.

Estocolmo

Agree completely. Some people are impossible to satisfy.

Top Bottom