• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes]There’s Little Doubt Microsoft Will Try To Buy ‘Palworld’ And Pocketpair At This Point

gokurho

Summary by chatGPT
The article suggests that Microsoft's potential acquisition of Palworld and Pocketpair reflects its engagement in bolstering its presence in the gaming industry. By acquiring these companies, known for developing the popular game "Palworld," Microsoft aims to expand its game pipeline and establish a competitive edge against rival firms.
So, how much? Of course Microsoft shelled out $69 billion for Activision Blizzard. Zenimax-Bethesda was $7.5 billion. It paid $2.5 billion for Minecraft’s Mojang in 2014. How much would they spend here to lock up Palworld? Half a billion? A billion? Two? Granted we don’t know what the game’s long term prospects are, but if Microsoft, a $3 trillion company, can buy up what is likely to be one of the biggest hits of the year, and something people are genuinely talking about at least temporarily besting Pokémon, yeah, I think they could throw a relatively small amount of cash its way easily enough.

StueyDuck

Palworld has gained and lost a million players in the time frame of a week, that's over 50% of their big surge they had.

MS would be dumb to purchase it or the studio. It was a tiktok social media fad, you would be smarter buying someone like pubg Corp or one of those studios if all you want is Asian made game with lots of players.

Palworld will be dead within a month most likely

midnightAI

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Skifi28

I could always be wrong, but Palworld feels like the usual "streamer's game of the month" that will be extremely popular for a few weeks and then nobody hears of ever again as people move on to the next janky early access thing that just released.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I could always be wrong, but Palworld feels like the usual "streamer's game of the month" that will be extremely popular for a few weeks and then nobody hears of ever again as people move on to the next janky early access thing that just released.
Tbh, in that light it seems like the perfect game for the GamePass-model. Disposable games that could potentially generate a lot of revenue.

I think that will be the way forward for MS and part of the new strategy.

Skifi28

Tbh, in that light it seems like the perfect game for the GamePass-model. Disposable games that could potentially generate a lot of revenue.

I think that will be the way forward for MS and part of the new strategy.
No doubt and it already helped them a ton, but buying it after the decline has already started seems rather short-sighted. I'm sure all publishers are having their eyes open for the next Minecraft, but this is not it.

Killjoy-NL

No doubt and it already helped them a ton, but buying it after the decline has already started seems rather short-sighted. I'm sure all publishers are having their eyes open for the next Minecraft, but this is not it.
Unless they are content with what it currently is, or maybe they see potential and the decline works in their favor, as it will mean that the acquisition will be cheaper.

I can totally see them do it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I mean, it makes sense.

With some assistance this could be huge, not Minecraft huge. But Huge (it already is)

kyussman

.....and close them down later when they realise all they had in them was one Pokemon knock off and very little actual talent or vision.

kyussman

Palworld just gives what Pokemon lacks and they did it without splitting the game into two to inflate sales and profits.
All I'm saying is it seems there is nothing to suggest this dev would be a strong purchase,this could well be as good as it ever gets for them.....seems like a short term aquisition to me.

TrebleShot

Erm yeah like others have said this game kind of has a one hit wonder sense to it, I recon theyll even bork it with updates.

Fair play MS though buy it and bring it to PS5 as part of their new strategy.

Kikorin

This game will be dead in some months. It had huge traction because "Pokémon with guns" and lot of people taken it like a "revenge" against the awful last Pokémon games, but passed the meme phase it will just be one of thousand survival games out there on Steam that none care about. But yes, MS could be dumb enough to waste money on this too.

Aint Microsoft got enough studios as it is? Let alone with 2 publishers. In my opinion palworld would do wonders for nintendo more then sony and Microsoft. Make a big open online world pokemon with trainers and pvp at stadiums etc efc

Ozriel

M$FT
I guess MS did buy a one-hit-wonder studio before (Minecraft/Mojang). Would they do it again? :pie_thinking:

That’s like calling Fortnite and Roblox ‘one hit wonders’

Desperation. That's MS for you. Buy outs for perceived short term gains. It's just shouting out LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME.

F YOU MS AND XBOX!

Yes, this random Forbes guy represents Microsoft’s mergers and acquisitions team.

Let’s try to keep these discussions sensible

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Microsoft is the Michael Jordan of attempting to buy success.

Just making this click bait statement, and thinking of it like it's this fix to a fundamentally flawed gaming company, will not make the issues go away.

Don't you love how this is the level of journalism we have now where they still make this stupid level of article. And their blind fan base sucks it up like a spilled cup of cool aid in an arid desert.

Last edited:
Microsoft is the Michael Jordan of attempting to buy success.

Just making this click bait statement, and thinking of it like it's this fix to a fundamentally flawed gaming company, will not make the issues go away.

Don't you love how this is the level of journalism we have now where they still make this stupid level of article. And their blind fan base sucks it up like a spilled cup of cool aid in an arid desert.
There's another side to that coin, the average Gaf user who despises anything and everything Microsoft related, like you for instance 😉

LiquidMetal14

There's another side to that coin, the average Gaf user who despises anything and everything Microsoft related, like you for instance 😉
Little you know I spend and play more Xbox games than other platforms.

I just call it like it is. I don't play the fan it games despite it clearly tickling you enough. What part of my statement was wrong?

They're having a stupid show next week to talk about potentially making games for competing platforms. Do I need to be a fanboy to let you know how that makes things look in the eyes of a gamer?

Little you know I spend and play more Xbox games than other platforms.

I just call it like it is. I don't play the fan it games despite it clearly tickling you enough. What part of my statement was wrong?

They're having a stupid show next week to talk about potentially making games for competing platforms. Do I need to be a fanboy to let you know how that makes things look in the eyes of a gamer?
It's hardly a show is it? It's basically clearing up hopefully an absolute PR shitshow. We need a balance though on here I'm sure you'd agree that the Xbox/Microsoft hate is very real.

LiquidMetal14

It's hardly a show is it? It's basically clearing up hopefully an absolute PR shitshow. We need a balance though on here I'm sure you'd agree that the Xbox/Microsoft hate is very real.
If that's how I come off, let me assure you that isn't my angle. Sure, my wording is harsh but the state of their business has been like this for years.

Ever since their peak, they've been on the same stagnant run and spending money hasn't fixed the issues.

And clearly game pass isn't the answer as devaluing your games isn't the way to go.

If the games were there, this may be a different discussion but they're not. There is a an issue with their ideology and how the management of these studios has gone vs how other companies make games.

There's probably some who don't favor Xbox and let's face the fact, they're no where near then gaming company as Sony or Nintendo nor has it take massive purchases to make that so.

I'm sugar coating this, really.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Might as well, it'll be coming to PS5 and Nintendo anyway.

Well....maybe not Nintendo, lol.

Top Bottom