• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision published game Dark Reign put on Xbox Indie channel.

Gaspode_T

It looks like Z The Game which I got on iPad and almost regret it because the little guys are so small on a mobile screen...I could see a RTS being almost better on TV because of that reason as long as it controls well.

wwm0nkey

Well it's one option for devs / pubs not wanting to deal with XBLA 'release calendar' that people often complain about. There are stories of games being 100% done and the bits and bytes are just sitting around waiting for a chance to be released. For an old PC port that is difficult to implement achievements with it kind of makes sense, but I have no idea how these guys were able to port it to XNA.

Well most of the work would go into porting the engine to C# really. I mean you already have all the assets right? I don't think it would be an easy task but it would still be cool to see older PC games or older games in general hit the service and could draw some good attention to the service too.

wwm0nkey

Did they not get a XBLA slot and that#s why the just put it in the indie channel? Super weird.

Super weird BUT more people should do this. It draws more attention to the service and you dont have to deal with Microsoft's BS really.

okenny

Banned
How is it an Indy Game if there's a dev and a publisher????

Even industry people don't even know what Indy means anymore? lol

Someone who isn't independent publishing a game where independent people publish games doesn't preclude what was published from being a game you see.

Rlan

Man, super weird.

Not the first time a more "well known" title has made it to the XBLIG service:

xboxboxart.jpg

screen2.jpg

Rlan

wwm0nkey

Seems more that the developer licensed the rights to the game from Activision, rather than Activision "publishing" the game:

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2012/...ps-dark-reign-redux-on-xbox-live-indie-games/

Personally I wish we'd see more of this sort of thing. Games like Tyrian and Raptor: Call Of The Shadows have had ports to the iPhone and Mac OS, it'd be good to see on XBLIG too.

I don't know, maybe some people could try and talk to companies into doing this. Would be awesome to see more classic and well known games hit the service to draw more attention to it.

I mean we are not going to see games like PSO: BB hit the service (sadly) but things like Mech Warrior are a possibility as long as the company is willing.

Yeah it wasn't Activision who had anything to do with this. I also have an XNA developer's account, so I'm able to go into the playtesting forums, and in doing so the dev said that they simple approached Activision and asked for the ability to rerelease the title since Act wasn't doing anything with it at he moment.

We posted that minutes after the story went up, but for some reason people kept thinking that Activision had something to do with the new release on XBLIG.

Yeah it wasn't Activision who had anything to do with this. I also have an XNA developer's account, so I'm able to go into the playtesting forums, and in doing so the dev said that they simple approached Activision and asked for the ability to rerelease the title since Act wasn't doing anything with it at he moment.

We posted that minutes after the story went up, but for some reason people kept thinking that Activision had something to do with the new release on XBLIG.

maybe because Activision's logo is on the cover art?

Rlan

JOURNALISM

Mindlog

Neat. This is easily one of the most oddball releases I have ever seen. Someone tell Ubisoft to do this with Conquest: Frontier Wars.

Concept17

First of all.. WTF?! Dark Reign??? Loved that series. But Dark Reign 2 was far far better than the first, and one of the first 3D RTS games... and also one of the best. I used to make tons of maps for multiplayer for the game that actually played a good part in its online community. (about a dozen or so maps people regularly played) It was actually the first game that made me realize I wanted to make games for a living. :D

Super random.

I'm looking at the thread title thinking "It can't be that Dark Reign." Then I opened it, and it was.

I'm about a centimeter from buying it....but the whole indie thing. I keep losing my connection intermittently. Decisions, decisions.

tborsje

Heh, I remember the campaign in the game being super-hard. But that could be because I was 10 years old when it came out...

maybe because Activision's logo is on the cover art?

You mean the cover from 1997? I'd guess that this release won't have Activision on it anywhere.

Edit: Wait, it is on the cover on the marketplace link. Wow, Activision = Indy?

This game also appears to be completely built on MS Silverlight.

Cels

I refuse to buy Indie games because I can't play them offline.

seriously, why the heck did they even do this? i know the given reason is that they want to be able to restrict offensive games (because these games don't go through the ESRB ratings), but surely they could have thought of a less cumbersome method of doing so

acm2000

seriously, why the heck did they even do this? i know the given reason is that they want to be able to restrict offensive games (because these games don't go through the ESRB ratings), but surely they could have thought of a less cumbersome method of doing so

nothing to do with offensive games, its all down to the fact online games in certain countries (the ones xbig are available in) dont require to be age rated, simple as that, take those games offline, then money has to be spent getting them rated, hence why xbig isnt worldwide

Slermy

I absolutely adored this game back in the day.

I tried it out briefly, it's a decent port, and 360 controls seem alright, but damn, if the units and text aren't super small. Also, lack of "Rise of the Shadowhand" content makes me sad.

Kinda weird to think about both Dark Reign and Star Craft being owned by the same company now. I think had Star Craft made its original release date, these two would have gone head-to-head.

Top Bottom