• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Updates IW/EA Lawsuit: Secret Meetings, Backstabbing Alleged

chubigans said:
Oh wow.

toolazytotype1.jpg

To be honest, it reads very much like it should read ; a document written by a defence attorney.

Can't just any statement with these informations.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Littleberu said:
To be honest, it reads very much like it should read ; a document written by a defence attorney.

Can't just any statement with these informations.
Isn't it illegal with severe consequences to lie in these things?

rosjos44 said:
Yea but Activision has to provide proof that actually happened. Not put words on a document and said "This happened". Now they said that they have some IW employees saying this happened? well then they have a reasonable shot.

I think Activision is playing their cards right. WHat I mean is they are playing them well enough to make the two IW people look like the bad guys more so than them.

That's true. None of this is proven and it's not unlikely that there's some exaggeration or even blatant lying going on. But if it is true that's disgusting and hysterical. Looks like compensation will suck over at Respawn Entertainment.

They come off as dicks, but, to be fair, that's the purpose of these legal filings. You can't take everything as 100 percent fact because both sides are going to try to make the other look as bad as possible.

rosjos44

Munin said:
Yeah all these employees and their families totally deserve being fucked over by 2 egoistical dicks who probably had little to contribute to the success of their own games.

and wasn't it these two people and other IW employees stating that Activision did not give them bonuses a while back?

Teetris said:
Isn't it illegal with severe consequences to lie in these things?
Activision will at very least need to provide a plausible reason for how they have this information.

If they have actual e-mails stating this, that really, really sucks for West and Zampella. If it's "a guy who works for us had this conversation with them that we can't prove actually happened," then it can be talked about but viewed extremely suspiciously and maybe outright thrown out.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TemplaerDude said:
It's not illegal to spin things in your favour though.
No doubt. I'm sure there is lots of spinning going on. Probably in the form of info missing

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ShockingAlberto said:
Activision will at very least need to provide a plausible reason for how they have this information.

The text messages might be obtained from the carrier. I think they can be subpoenaed.

And corporations usually own and reserve the right to read all email sent over their network.

rosjos44

ShockingAlberto said:

If they have actual e-mails stating this, that really, really sucks for West and Zampella. If it's "a guy who works for us had this conversation with them that we can't prove actually happened," then it can be talked about but viewed extremely suspiciously and maybe outright thrown out.

Plus the emails would need to have some type of digital signatures too. Without them then you cannot provide non repudiation.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Added some more text to the image, specifically West/Zampella taking a third of the money from the IW bonus pool for themselves, if I'm reading that right.

rosjos44

Y2Kev said:
The text messages might be obtained from the carrier. I think they can be subpoenaed.

And corporations usually own and reserve the right to read all email sent over their network.

For Activisions sake I hope they have banners or agreements (that were signed) or some type of policy for email tracking , internet use, etc. Because the privacy act can be played here.

Teetris said:
No doubt. I'm sure there is lots of spinning going on. Probably in the form of info missing

This whole thing is a stupid fucking mess and people picking specific sides are kind of dumb. I'm personally leaning with West and Zampella because I don't really have a lot of respect the way Activision does their business but my feelings on the matter change with every thread. So I'm kind of dumb too.

Y2Kev said:

Yes text messages can be subpoenaed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Not surprised in any way shape or form. Inter-studio competition is the worst shit that can happen and it almost always happen in shitty companies with bad management.

Effect

rosjos44 said:
For Activisions sake I hope they have banners or agreements (that were signed) or some type of policy for email tracking , internet use, etc. Because the privacy act can be played here.

They most likely have this covered in whatever acceptable use policies they have. If school districts have them and have lawyers go over them then there is no doubt a corporation like Activision has them. Either way it's their computers and their email systems setup under the assumption they would be used for work not personal use. Same with any cell phones they might issue to employees. It's not like they are coping or pulling emails from employees personal Yahoo accounts.

DMeisterJ

Banned
jonnybryce said:
So what do we think dumb and dumber were (allegedly) sharing with EA?

More than likely? Game code.
Definitely likely? Activision's plans for the next IW CoD game which was probably in pre-production beginning early this year.

IW's hate of Treyarch (a sentiment sometimes mirrored here on GAF, inexplicably) definitely just makes them look like dicks. But so did their allegations against Acti.

I guess this is what happens when a bunch of egotistical dicks try to prove which of them has the bigger one. Hilarity ensues.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
rosjos44 said:
What? If you are using your employers internet connection or employers computer/cell phone they have the right to look through it all.

markot

Banned
I dont think they hate Treyarch, more the fact that they basically whore out 'their' franchise.

I think Blizzard would be pretty pissed if some Activision dev was given Starcraft to make.

Why would they share game code >_<? its just a quake engine modified alot...

poppabk said:
What? If you are using your employers internet connection or employers computer/cell phone they have the right to look through it all.

Right, and anyone with an 8th grade education knows not to use your work email/phone for personal shit... especially if you are doing something shady.

Effect

OldJadedGamer said:
Right, and anyone with an 8th grade education knows not to use your work email/phone for personal shit... especially if you are doing something shady.

People are dumb sometimes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
OldJadedGamer said:
You'd be very surprised at what people do with their work email accounts.

rosjos44

Well its true about a few things. However, I am currently searching for a case I read a while back in a security class and it stated a Network Admin over seeing someone browse their facebook account on a work machine. That admin logged onto the machine and viewed the messages on facebook. You know who got in trouble for it? the admin.

I find it hard to beleive that IW developers would use work laptops to say these things I mean if you are a tech guy and you work in IT you know better (or at least you should).

Ulairi

Banned
This info all comes from Activison. We haven't seen any reply from EA at all. I wouldn't read too much into this, there will be more than enough mud for each side to sling.

faceless007 said:
IW's hate of Treyarch (a sentiment sometimes mirrored here on GAF, inexplicably) definitely just makes them look like dicks. But so did their allegations against Acti.

I guess this is what happens when a bunch of egotistical dicks try to prove which of them has the bigger one. Hilarity ensues.

If IW did have an issue with Treyarch then I don't see why it's hard to understand why. While it was obviously Activision's call to put Treyarch on the CoD games, that doesn't mean that IW would necessarily like it. CoD was their creation yet in the end Treyarch got their code and essentially copy and pasted what they created and got credit for it. It's one thing for another publisher to rip you off but it's completely different when another developer within your own publisher is doing it. So it's no surprise when you read about how Vince and Jason have full control over their new IP at EA. Which means that EA can't go and start handing it off to other developers.

OldJadedGamer said:

Hubris can make people do some pretty stupid things and believe they can get away with it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SolidSnakex said:
If IW did have an issue with Treyarch then I don't see why it's hard to understand why. While it was obviously Activision's call to put Treyarch on the CoD games, that doesn't mean that IW would necessarily like it. CoD was their creation yet in the end Treyarch got their code and essentially copy and pasted what they created and got credit for it. It's one thing for another publisher to rip you off but it's completely different when another developer within your own publisher is doing it. So it's no surprise when you read about how Vince and Jason have full control over their new IP at EA. Which means that EA can't go and start handing it off to other developers.
So what did they expect Treyarch to do, say "no we won't do that project" and hope for the best? That's not how this business works, and if the IW guys were expecting anything different then they're not very bright. They also didn't spend too much time looking into the contracts they signed with Activision to begin with if they were so concerned about owning IP, as that sort of thing is ALWAYS part of whatever contracts you sign with publishers.

Gattsu25

Banned
chubigans said:
So...they were asked which IW employees would be put on COD4 Wii development and they said "None". That sounds like they were against the concept of pulling off members of IW dev staff for a Wii game more than anything else.

No defending the shit they allegedly pulled in Oct '09, though.

XiaNaphryz said:
So what did they expect Treyarch to do, say "no we won't do that project" and hope for the best? That's not how this business works.

I know, all i'm saying is that it's not hard to see why IW wouldn't like Treyarch too much. They obviously didn't like Activision either. So it seemed to be a complete dislike of the entire company.

Neki

Gattsu25 said:
So...they were asked which IW employees would be put on COD4 Wii development and they said "None". That sounds like they were against the concept of pulling off members of IW dev staff for a Wii game more than anything else.

No defending the shit they allegedly pulled in Oct '09, though.

Yeah, but the parent company is still a parent company. Just because they didn't want some of their team to work on the Wii COD version doesn't mean you flat out refuse to give out names.

hamchan

SolidSnakex said:
I know, all i'm saying is that it's not hard to see why IW wouldn't like Treyarch too much. They obviously didn't like Activision either. So it seemed to be a complete dislike of the entire company.
Yep, it seems quite clear that IW didn't like the whole company. That's why the insubordination claims by Activision seem so believable :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Dirty, dirty business. Activision should've let IW have the CoD brand completely, but these West and Zampella fellas were dicks about losing some of the brand to Treyarch.

Treyarch does a good job imo too. I thought WaW and Blops stood up pretty well against the IW games, although lacking some innovation. Still, Treyarch delivers the fun without IW's Tom Clancy plots and Dick Cheney quotes.

Truespeed

DMeisterJ said:
More than likely? Game code.
Definitely likely? Activision's plans for the next IW CoD game which was probably in pre-production beginning early this year.

Do you really think EA wanted "game code"? Not even remotely likely.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Yeah, but the parent company is still a parent company. Just because they didn't want some of their team to work on the Wii COD version doesn't mean you flat out refuse to give out names.
To be honest, the publisher controlled nature of this business is endlessly frustrating to me but that's a separate discussion.

SolidSnakex said:

or they can act like fucking professionals.

hteng

Banned
wow, i didn't know both studio hates each other's guts ? what happened ? why did they hate each other? or is this just some sort of bullshit spew by activision ?

I hope people start liking Treyarch because of this. I thought CoD3 was the best WW2 game even though I was burned out by then and enjoyed Blops. Then again, I don't really care about game drama that doesn't effect me so maybe no opinions will change.

antonz

Funny I said when this whole thing broke out that in the end it was probably IW heads that were the assholes not Activision.

Writing was on the walls that West and friends were shady as fuck with dealings with EA.

SolidSnakex said:
They could start acting like professionals.

EDIT: Or, yeah, what Ninja Scooter said. He beat me to it.

EDIT: Almost the exact same wording!

hamchan

Ninja Scooter said:
or they can act like fucking professionals.

Exactly. You don't see the Sony owned devs whining when they share assets and tech with each other. All this tells me is IW cared more about their own egos than giving players a better experience.

Top Bottom