• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors who play themselves in every role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
A couple people said Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I'd agree were it not for Junior and Jingle All the Way.

Admittedly, these movies were also fucking awful.

From what I've seen, Robert Downey Jr. Doesn't matter if he's Ironman, some cop in Zodiac or Sherlock Holmes, all of these ,,roles'' are identical.

massoluk

Banned
From what I've seen, Robert Downey Jr. Doesn't matter if he's Ironman, some cop in Zodiac or Sherlock Holmes, all of these ,,roles'' are identical.

Though I agree of that in some of his recent movies, he could fill in different roles. See Chaplin, Heart and Souls.

Draconian

smh at the people posting Tom Cruise. I guess maybe if you haven't seen anything outside of Mission: Impossible, but he's had all sorts of roles over his career like in Collateral and Magnolia. Though I shouldn't be surprised when Pacino, De Niro, and DiCaprio are posted in the thread.

tmarques

Are people intentionally just posting actors instead of actresses? How about Queen Latifa?

No idea. Saw her in Chicago and a couple of minutes (all I could take) of a sitcom with Tootsie or whatever the black girl in Facts of Life was called. Has she been in any high profile movies since Chicago?

Pimpwerx

Tom Cruise. Hell, he's now doing movies where characters have the same name. Two Jack movies, Jack Reacher and Oblivion.

I also want to say Ryan Reynolds. Green Lantern was really just more mature Van Wilder in tights.

Oooh, David Arquette. Plays his dopey self in every movie. PEACE.

MightyKAC

I love it when threads like this come around and all the clownshoes and asshats out themselves when they try to turn it into an "I hate _____ actor" thread.

Worst post in all of NeoGAF. Someone hasn't seen Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, or Heat for Pacino or The King Of Comedy, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Brazil, The Deer Hunter, or Silver Linings Playbook for De Niro.

I've seen all of those movies. Pacino is a terrible actor, but, that doesn't mean he's a terrible actor, he's entertaining, and I like him, but he no range, and he can't act. Neither can DeNiro.

Denzel-Washington-9524687-2-402.jpg

this overrated hack

my thoughts exactly

linkboy

Honestly, at this point I don't mind, if it keeps him off of drugs.

And 6 pages and nobody mentioned this guy

MV5BMTkxMzk2MDkwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDAxODQwMg@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Same character in every movie.

strobogo

Banned
Al_Pacino.jpg

Al Pacino is the single most over fucking rated actor around. Play tough Cuban/Italian/etc gangster in every. fucking. film. Every role has him screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs and that is somehow considered good acting. I can yell and scream and cry till im red in the face, where the fuck are my oscars?

Have you seen any Pacino movies besides The Godfathers, Scarface, and Carlito's Way? I won't argue that Al has put in a lot of similar performances, particularly in the past 10-15 years, but this is nonsense.

Tony Montana and Carlito weren't even gangsters. Michael Corleone was a gangster. Big Boy Caprice was a gangster.

akira28

Katharine Hepburn.

How she got 4 Oscars I'll never understand.

So many men wanted to bang her? Plus it was early Oscars, and not that much competition back then?

Imagine an Anne...whats her name..the one who played the crappy Catwoman. Imagine her in an age where the last big star was fashioned after Betty Boop? People didn't know how to deal with it. So they fawned over her while she acted all unattainable and quirky, arguably cute, yes, while chasing after giant jungle cats, but still troublesome and wilful in most of her roles; and threw awards at her because she was so great an actress.

Jonm1010

Banned
I dunno man.

The Mask
Ace Ventura
Liar Liar
Me myself and Irene
Bruce Almighty
Batman
Cable guy
Dumb and dumber
And to a lesser extent, the Truman show

It's always the same shtick in different backgrounds. Dude with some issues pulling funny faces. He's moved on from that since spotless, but most of his career has been that for a long time.

It's cute how you left off Eternal Sunshine and Man on the Moon. Two films that not only show Carey to be capable of incredible range with his acting but could easily have been argued to have deserved an Oscar in their respective years.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Al_Pacino.jpg

Al Pacino is the single most over fucking rated actor around. Play tough Cuban/Italian/etc gangster in every. fucking. film. Every role has him screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs and that is somehow considered good acting. I can yell and scream and cry till im red in the face, where the fuck are my oscars?

Honorable mentions:

Robert Deniro
Will Smith
Denzel Washington.

It sounds like you've only seen like four Pacino movies.

Even if you have only seen his crime/gangster/mobster related films, I don't see how you can compare Michael Corleone to Tony Montana. The performances are on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum.

Jonm1010

Banned
I almost feel this entire thread is an excercise for a few people who are seeking attention by naming actors that clearly have some range while ignoring the obvious answers this thread should produce.

Actors like Seth Rogan, Adam Sandler, Schwarzenegger, Danny Trejo, Jason Statham and countless other one note actors that made an impact but never showed much range.

How people can mention guys like Pitt, Jim Carrey, Denzel, Pacino, DiCaprio, DeNiro, Hanks and to a lesser extent Cruise before even entertaining guys like the above screams of attention seeking. Sure ill accept that guys like Cruise tend to be more personalities than character actors in a majority of their films, but they stil have more range than a huge amount of the working actors today. No most of them aren't Daniel Day Lewis or Gary Oldman but 99% of actors aren't.

Listing Pacino and DeNiro, what the fuck. So Rupert Pupkin and Vito Corleone are both essentially DeNiro reading lines on screen? Pacino was playing the same person, i.e. himself, when acting in both ...And Justice For All, and Scent of a Woman?

What a troll.

Dead Man

Al_Pacino.jpg

What the fuck is this shit? Are you high? Are you 12 years old? Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, You Don't Know Jack, Insomnia, Frankie and Johnny, The Panic In Needle Park.

He's fallen off a bit in recent years, and through the 90's, but what the fuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom