• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriGen

Sounds to me like the bigger gaming press sites are getting their stuff while these smaller guys (Marcus/Sessler/etc.) aren't, and they're crying about it.

I don't think so. Sessler is the most know gaming personality because of being on TV for years, and GT is a popular site -- they essentially run the VGAs. Also, IGN got an invite so they must need to go. I just think they don't want to go to the event as they feel like they should have more time to review the system, and they don't want to be in a controlled environment while doing so.

Radec

Sony screwed up. Their main priority should be getting things ready for reviewers. It's a disgrace.

And the hyperbole continues!
KuGsj.gif

so, in the past day or two, we found out:

-CoD is 720p on X1, and 1080p on PS4, but both have framerate issues that are being worked on.

-Battlefield 4 is 720p on X1, and 900p on PS4.

-there is something wrong with the X1 beyond simply the resolution difference. (as mentioned by CBOAT)

-some game reviewers are pissed that they have limited access to review some Sony first party games or the PS4 hardware early.

is that about right?

El_Mau

Sounds to me like the bigger gaming press sites are getting their stuff while these smaller guys (Marcus/Sessler/etc.) aren't, and they're crying about it.

Marcus works for gametrailers so I guess he won't have a lot troubles getting access to an early PS4, he is just supporting sessler

S¡mon

Banned
I know one thing: everybody here is talking about PS4 now.

And for what? That some reviewers can't get acces to the console + 2 games until a few days before release?

If, as a journalist, you feel like you didn't get to properly review a game or console, wait with posting a review until you do. In the meantime you could post a hands-on article.

FuturusX

I'm glad the global sarcasm detection system is down on GAF right now. But yeah my point was Reviewers not having access to systems early is not something that's going to give me sleepless nights.

Let them wait.

guys lets not forget that the last time anyone cared about Marcus Beer was because he threw another entitled fit after Phil Fish didn't give him the time of day to comment on the story he was working on

this prompted phil to quit the industry
will sony do the same and cancel the ps4??!!!!

hawk2025

They probably played through the game at Ubisoft? For AC2's launch Ubisoft held the "review event" in Italy, all costs including travel covered by them.

Holy shit. I had no idea.

So yeah, that's probably what happened. Trip to the Carribean to review AC4? :p

Metfanant

Hi all, took me a while to remember my password or I would have jumped in sooner.

Its not just about the games, its reviewing the actual system 2 days before the damn thing ships.
Something feels off right now to be honest & a lot of people are pissed about it.
If you have seen anything I have done over the last 8 months, you will know I have been very happy with the way Sony has been doing things but now its time for them to shit or get off the pot and they are being damn evasive about allowing serious access to the system before launch.
I have mine preordered (ditto XboxOne) & if that is the only way I will get to have said access to the PS4 then so be it.
When people delay access to something, game or hardware, it's never for a good reason in my experience.
So this is ALL in response to the Sony review event??...it seems fishy at face value for Sony to act this way...but I think it's going to likely be related to giving them as much time as possible to make sure firmware 1.5 and the PSN is up to snuff before letting the entire gaming press free access to the console for full review...

Any reviews coming out before (like polygon and AC4) would be on dev kits that give no indication of retail OS software...that's just going to be a straight game review...

-CoD is 720p on X1, and 1080p on PS4, but both have framerate issues that are being worked on.

-there is something wrong with the X1 beyond simply the resolution difference. (as mentioned by CBOAT)

-some game reviewers are pissed that they have limited access to review some Sony first party games or the PS4 hardware early.

is that about right?

Thank you for the summary. Yes, this is accurate.

Ran Ran

I wonder if MS will have a similar event since Gies said reviews for Xbone stuff would come later for "stupid reasons." Seems to match up.

I...don't see the problem.

Sony is holding a launch party, inviting the press, right prior to the PS4 launch.

They're not forcing a gun to their heads saying they have to only play the games at the event and review them right then and there.

What a crybaby Sessler is.

He's not on G4 anymore so Sony isn't giving him and the smaller youtube peasants the first class treatment and they are butthurt about it.

Tsundere

Banned
I don't think so. Sessler is the most know gaming personality because of being on TV for years, and GT is a popular site -- they essentially run the VGAs. Also, IGN got an invite so they must need to go. I just think they don't want to go to the event as they feel like they should have more time to review the system, and they don't want to be in a controlled environment while doing so.

Rev3 is nowhere near being in the same league as GameTrailers.

Marcus works for gametrailers so I guess he won't have a lot troubles getting access to an early PS4, he is just supporting sessler

It's more important to the companies to get their machines out to the big guys first.

TriGen

is that about right?

That's a decent summary.

Hi all, took me a while to remember my password or I would have jumped in sooner.

Its not just about the games, its reviewing the actual system 2 days before the damn thing ships.
Something feels off right now to be honest & a lot of people are pissed about it.
If you have seen anything I have done over the last 8 months, you will know I have been very happy with the way Sony has been doing things but now its time for them to shit or get off the pot and they are being damn evasive about allowing serious access to the system before launch.
I have mine preordered (ditto XboxOne) & if that is the only way I will get to have said access to the PS4 then so be it.
When people delay access to something, game or hardware, it's never for a good reason in my experience.

Thanks, Marcus for the insight. I can understand why you would be upset, However, I have learned from the short time that I have been on this site that if you say something bad about Sony you get backlash. I mean look at all the posts attacking you saying your upset about not getting a free console after you said you had both pre ordered. They are even making excuses for Sony as to why this is okay.

xn0

Let me get this straight the reason everyone is pissed and why Sessler is threatening to quit the industry is because you can't access the consoles until a few days before the launch. Is this related to the review event cards that came out in the past few days?

Let me guess the consoles were due to arrive to reviewers this weekend, and when the delivery guy knocked on the door reviewers got an invitation to a review event instead of the console and games.

<gif idea> Someone needs to get a gif together of Christmas Vacation when Clark (Sessler) gets a 1 year membership to Jelly of the month club (review invitation) instead of his christmas bonus (PS4) and freaks out </gif idea>

I was talking about the Sessler/Dent/Gies thing which is what I thought was causing all the ruckus, as people appeared to be connecting that back to the resolution rumors.

As people have noted, and I was catching up on as I got online late tonight, they are two separate issues. There was also some other BS thing about advertising or console problems (?). Is anyone taking that stuff seriously or did that all die? Consoles are fine, and the advertising thing is completely made up.

So anyway, one of them has nothing to do with us. Whew.

As for the resolution stuff I hadn't realized there was a new set of rumors popping up today. On that topic, and as I've said in my previous posts, I don't comment on 3rd party games stuff. Not my area.

So nothing new from me, I'm not going to get into the fray on the resolution stuff. G'night!

For once I was just glad the other thing wasn't about us.

You fucked up man ,, all Xbox division did fuck up :

BFeRiUf.png

Yasir

Seems quite simple really:

Sony has press's event for PS4 release where journos review 1sy party titles (knack, killzone, resogun).

Third party titles get reviewed at other times when 3rd parties decide.

Sony could be getting the PS4 network ready in time for just before launch and hence can't be sending games out 2 weeks in advance or firmware update is being released day 1 to the masses so getting out a ps4 to the journos with the firmware could be a hassle and without the firmware to mean an unfair review of the console.

Either way its not ideal. This is what you get for console releases when they're announced and released within a year.

At least it is just first party titles of which there aren't many and at least the online portions of each game can be assessed.

Pros and cons. Overall, its a console launch, some will be pissed but at the end of the day your getting to review games ahead of release as well fairly looking at all aspects of the game. And maybe the consoles at the event have the firmware ready too hence a fairer assessment of the console.

TriGen

Rev3 is nowhere near being in the same league as GameTrailers.

It's more important to the companies to get their machines out to the big guys first.

I know GT is bigger that's why I referred to them as a whole. I was just saying Sessler is the most know single person, so he could write his own blog by himself and get invited to press events. I really don't think Sessler is complaining about not getting an invite. I think he's complaining about the event. He's complained about this stuff for years and he's prone to be hyperbolic, so I think he just is upset about the event happening at all.

Jomjom

Banned
All Sony needs to do is get out there and be transparent with why they are doing this. (Also get back to Adam!) if its because of patch 1.5, that's reasonable and no one would be mad if that's why they need to do it in a closed environment. But don't do what MS is doing and get all dodgy. I would hope with how open Sony has been of late, they would know that.

As long as on November 14th and 22nd, Giant Bomb gets their pre-order consoles/games, hooks them up to the internet and starts streaming that shit out, everything in the world is fine. That's the only coverage I need.

Agreed. The way that GiantBomb has shifted away from relying on hot day one reviews seems preeeeeety smart right about now.

sephi22

I was talking about the Sessler/Dent/Gies thing which is what I thought was causing all the ruckus, as people appeared to be connecting that back to the resolution rumors.

As people have noted, and I was catching up on as I got online late tonight, they are two separate issues. There was also some other BS thing about advertising or console problems (?). Is anyone taking that stuff seriously or did that all die? Consoles are fine, and the advertising thing is completely made up.

So anyway, one of them has nothing to do with us. Whew.

As for the resolution stuff I hadn't realized there was a new set of rumors popping up today. On that topic, and as I've said in my previous posts, I don't comment on 3rd party games stuff. Not my area.

So nothing new from me, I'm not going to get into the fray on the resolution stuff. G'night!

For once I was just glad the other thing wasn't about us.

Maybe its me being high at the moment, but I really like this post for some reason. Albert came off really humble here. Like this is the kind of communication MS can have with their customers. Good one Al

StoopKid

Thanks, Marcus for the insight. I can understand why you would be upset, However, I have learned from the short time that I have been on this site that if you say something bad about Sony you get backlash. I mean look at all the posts attacking you saying your upset about not getting a free console after you said you had both pre ordered. They are even making excuses for Sony as to why this is okay.

edit : double post

The more that GAF and Reddit and other gaming communities produce their own news, videos, reviews, impressions, etc... the more the gaming press loses its mind.

I feel like there is an outright disdain for GAF, in particular, right now from the press. We get assholes like me who can just say stuff with NDAs. We get OT's with more info about a game than any preview could ever hope to attempt. We get breaking news here first, and then on a site, and if their lucky the site will be linked in a new thread so we will click on their site.

I don't just mean this as a gaf circle jerk. This is also true of reddit. I don't go to gamefaqs but I assume it's true there. I also assume it's true of 4chan. There's probably more places.

In the last several months it feels like the press, in the US especially, have become contrarian to what sites like this think. The PS4 looks good... don't preorder yet! There may be some big surprise! You think that Mass Effect 3 is a piece of shit? GotY!

I'm probably simplifying it a bit but am I alone in feeling this tug of war going on? I feel like each weekend the big podcasts are arguing against whatever the big thing happens on sites like this or reddit or whatever feel. If they agree with us they are useless. If they argue they at least have an opposing viewpoint... but it often is nonsensical.

At the same time, #PS4NoDRM wouldn't have had the reach it did without the press atleast reporting about it. Also... I'm just some jerk on the internet talking about CoD being 720p on the Xbox One yet it's become a larger story because every podcast this weekend is talking about it. So while we may be a human centipede of gaming news... the press it part of the shit eating.

At this point, it seems quite obvious that many of these games journalist don't quite trust Sony just yet.

I know Sony screwed up last gen with the PS3. But you guys should at least attempt to view Sony's new console and direction with a fresh set of eyes. It really does seem that they have majorly turned things around for the better. Will there be hiccups with the launch of PS4? I am sure of it. But the same can be said for the competitions' consoles, as well.

StoopKid

jaguars-fan-cant-believe-it-nfl-fan-gifs.gif

Metfanant

To be fair...I assume you didn't read this forum back in 2006??? The tune was just ever so slightly different back then...

Not gonna lie...I think the Sony hate circa 2006 was worse than Xbone 2013 hate...seriously lol

One thing I can think of is there might be certain things restricted from capture. Publishers have really weird embargoes sometimes... case in point, my review NDA for Kingdom Hearts HD:

Please don't reveal spoiler content.
Do not capture CGI.
Entire cutscenes cannot be captured.

So yeah, pretty crazy right? Especially for a 11 year old game...

What you listed above is totally understandable though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The more that GAF and Reddit and other gaming communities produce their own news, videos, reviews, impressions, etc... the more the gaming press loses its mind.

I feel like there is an outright disdain for GAF, in particular, right now from the press. We get assholes like me who can just say stuff with NDAs. We get OT's with more info about a game than any preview could ever hope to attempt. We get breaking news here first, and then on a site, and if their lucky the site will be linked in a new thread so we will click on their site.

I don't just mean this as a gaf circle jerk. This is also true of reddit. I don't go to gamefaqs but I assume it's true there. I also assume it's true of 4chan. There's probably more places.

In the last several months it feels like the press, in US especially, has become contrarian to what sites like this think. The PS4 looks good... don't preorder yet! There may be some big surprise! You think that Mass Effect 3 is a piece of shit? GotY!

I'm probably simplifying it a bit but am I alone in feeling this tug of war going on? I feel like each weekend the big podcasts are arguing against whatever the big thing happens on sites like this or reddit or whatever feel. If they agree with us they are useless. If they argue they at least have an opposing viewpoint... but it often is nonsensical.

At the same time, #PS4NoDRM wouldn't have had the reach it did without the press atleast reporting about it. Also... I'm just some jerk on the internet talking about CoD being 720p on the Xbox One yet it's become a larger story because every podcast this weekend is talking about it. So while we may be a human centipede of gaming news... the press it part of the shit eating.
I'll be honest, I trust gaffer impressions more than any videogame journalism publication. People here usually don't have any agendas and I know they're not in the pockets of publishers. I've seen some really insightful and investigative posting here too.

Looking at the last few months, I definitely agree that GAF has gotten some flak. It's because of the leaks; nearly everything comes from here first.

TriGen

Agreed. The way that GiantBomb has shifted away from relying on hot day one reviews seems preeeeeety smart right about now.

Yep. It's the best way to go. People like getting to know the personalities and see those personalities actually play the games. Quick Looks and podcasts accomplish this. Reviews, while nice, aren't necessary.

Hyunashi

I know GT is bigger that's why I referred to them as a whole. I was just saying Sessler is the most know single person, so he could write his own blog by himself and get invited to press events. I really don't think Sessler is complaining about not getting an invite. I think he's complaining about the event. He's complained about this stuff for years and he's prone to be hyperbolic, so I think he just is upset about the event happening at all.

Sessler has complained alot this year. It ranges from 'not knowing enough about the PS4/XB1' to this. He just complains.

Though I understand his current predicament and why he is upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom