• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNCMark

Banned
Says he who disputes there will be any differences.

It beats making snap decisions based on launch games of all things. Especially when it's widely accepted that MS's drivers/tools have been complete shit, and appear to still be. That wont last much longer.

Mung

It beats making snap decisions based on launch games of all things. Especially when it's widely accepted that MS's drivers/tools have been complete shit, and appear to still be. That wont last much longer.

But the hardware deficit will last the entire gen.

kevlar35

Banned
The more that GAF and Reddit and other gaming communities produce their own news, videos, reviews, impressions, etc... the more the gaming press loses its mind.

I feel like there is an outright disdain for GAF, in particular, right now from the press. We get assholes like me who can just say stuff with NDAs. We get OT's with more info about a game than any preview could ever hope to attempt. We get breaking news here first, and then on a site, and if their lucky the site will be linked in a new thread so we will click on their site.

I don't just mean this as a gaf circle jerk. This is also true of reddit. I don't go to gamefaqs but I assume it's true there. I also assume it's true of 4chan. There's probably more places.

In the last several months it feels like the press, in the US especially, have become contrarian to what sites like this think. The PS4 looks good... don't preorder yet! There may be some big surprise! You think that Mass Effect 3 is a piece of shit? GotY!

I'm probably simplifying it a bit but am I alone in feeling this tug of war going on? I feel like each weekend the big podcasts are arguing against whatever the big thing happens on sites like this or reddit or whatever feel. If they agree with us they are useless. If they argue they at least have an opposing viewpoint... but it often is nonsensical.

At the same time, #PS4NoDRM wouldn't have had the reach it did without the press atleast reporting about it. Also... I'm just some jerk on the internet talking about CoD being 720p on the Xbox One yet it's become a larger story because every podcast this weekend is talking about it. So while we may be a human centipede of gaming news... the press it part of the shit eating.

Oh please. A few insiders leak information in dribs and drabs which is very entertaining and useful to an extent, but any such leak is inevitably engulfed in a kind of rabid hysteria.

It's one thing to drop a 'truthfact' but what's missing is any kind of reasoned and balanced analysis of what the 'truthfact' really means. And no, a feeding frenzy of gifs, "First post nailed it!" and "Dat (add word of your choice)" do not count.

Good journalists bring that analysis, GAF does not.

If Twitter and forum outrage are to be the replacement for traditional reporting, then we're all screwed.

Oh please. A few insiders leak information in dribs and drabs which is very entertaining and useful to an extent, but any such leak is inevitably engulfed in a kind of rabid hysteria.

It's one thing to drop a 'truthfact' but what's missing is any kind of reasoned and balanced analysis of what the 'truthfact' really means. And no, a feeding frenzy of gifs, "First post nailed it!" and "Dat (add word of your choice)" do not count.

If Twitter and forum outrage are to be the replacement for traditional reporting, then we're all screwed.

Nothing in the games industry matches your estimation of what journalism is at the moment. The industry is a fucking circus right now.

Analysis. LOL. Fucking bias and shillary everywhere. It does not breed "analysis".

I think the fact that groups of posters on gaf have mass meltdowns on published reviews and analysis speaks volumes of the power of gaming journalism.

That's not to say that gaming journalism isn't trash, because it definitely is. But GAF's ability to act as a hub of leaks and insider knowledge seems only important during the launch of nextgen consoles, when tempers are flaring up and each side will grab on to any piece of information as a way to validate their choice of platform, than at any other point in the generation. And these launches happen once in a decade.

So yeah, forums like GAF definitely have their place in the industry, but they're not going to be replacing gaming journalism.

[

All the (vast majority of) 'journalists' tend to offer is a spin or damage control, or leading questions (like the leadbetter interviews) or hype stacked upon more empty hype

The only reason why people go through the monumental effort of sifting through dozens of threads and thousands of posts on forums like gaf is because it's impossible to get an objective impression or unfiltered information from the 'journalists'.
We go online to get informed, and instead they 're just trying to sell us shit.., be it clicks or the games they have exclusive interviews for
None of them have the balls to warn consumers about anything they would need to know to make an informed decision because then they risk getting cut off by the publishers.

The sheer amount of control that publishers (and the big 3) now have over gaming news is insane, there is no such thing as a non controlled leak anymore.

They don't serve us since we don't pay the bills, we're a commodity they require to get their ad money from clicks. Because of this they don't serve much of a purpose to us anymore and they struggle to maintain any relevance.

Good discussion bring that analysis, GAF does not.

Your joking right , the game industry media does not have that this year was proof of that .
This year we had if MS did something Sony has to do it also along with other false or inaccurate information from journalists .
Most people on this board knew the DRM had to go for MS to stand a chance mean while most of gaming press saying no one would care expect hardcore gamers .
GAF has more discussion and analysis that all gaming press combine even thought it sometimes full of gif etc etc .

AHA-Lambda

Hi all, took me a while to remember my password or I would have jumped in sooner.

Its not just about the games, its reviewing the actual system 2 days before the damn thing ships.
Something feels off right now to be honest & a lot of people are pissed about it.
If you have seen anything I have done over the last 8 months, you will know I have been very happy with the way Sony has been doing things but now its time for them to shit or get off the pot and they are being damn evasive about allowing serious access to the system before launch.
I have mine preordered (ditto XboxOne) & if that is the only way I will get to have said access to the PS4 then so be it.
When people delay access to something, game or hardware, it's never for a good reason in my experience.

So has all of this speculation sot do with YouTube or not? =/

It's starting to sounds to me like everything is just fucked, especially CBOAT talking of big problems XB1wise.

UNCMark

Banned
So has all of this speculation sot do with YouTube or not? =/

It's starting to sounds to me like everything is just fucked, especially CBOAT talking of big problems XB1wise.

Proelyte started it last week. Said something about games shutting the system down constantly and that CoD at 720p is better than CoD at 720p that can barely run without restarting the console. Sounds like more than just game developers are crunching.

It may be due more to their hardware than drivers/tools.

Marvel

could never
Proelyte started it last week. Said something about games shutting the system down constantly and that CoD at 720p is better than CoD at 720p that can barely run without restarting the console. Sounds like more than just game developers are crunching.

God that sounds terrible.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
1080p isn't that important unless you sell your game as a graphics power house. BF4 being 900p means that I'm not getting this for consoles. I'll be playing it in 1080p on my PC like it was meant to be enjoyed.

Personally I'm fine with never playing a sub-1080p game ever again. With Sony's output at 1080p regardless of developer they have the standard for the platform. Here's hoping 3rd party follow suit.

So yeah, forums like GAF definitely have their place in the industry, but they're not going to be replacing gaming journalism.

You are correct in respect of the bigger picture.

However, for myself (and I wont be alone) they have indeed replaced them. I never visit any "gaming sites" for any reason unless its been linked on this forum or somewhere similar.

GAF is my gaming hub. I dont follow the gaming "journalism" anymore.

UNCMark

Banned
It may be due more to their hardware than drivers/tools.

That's the point. You don't know. I don't know. Give it time. When they fix their tools and the problems persist, or even if the gulf gets wider as devs learn more and more about how to best use the PS4 hardware, then you know for sure it's the hardware differences. Making snap proclamations based on launch software for either console is just not smart.

Mondy

Banned
Man, what a mess the Xbone is turning out to be. It's so easy to give Nintendo a kick in the pills, but then again, they've never had Don Mattrick at their helm.

You are correct in respect of the bigger picture.

However, for myself (and I wont be alone) they have indeed replaced them. I never visit any "gaming sites" for any reason unless its been linked on this forum or somewhere similar.

GAF is my gaming hub. I dont follow the gaming "journalism" anymore.

I'm very similar in that regard. GAF changed my online habits in the sense that I don't need to visit various websites to stay up to date on the latest news and previews. However, GAF functions in conjunction with those websites. When, say, IGN gets an exclusive gameplay video, I'll see that posted on GAF and then follow the link to IGN (or the IGN youtube page) to see the video.

I think GAF can't function without gaming news websites, and gaming news websites certainly benefit by gaf's ability to parse through different news sources and divert traffic to the news worthy (or in many cases, not news worthy) articles that get published.

Exactly. That is my point, and what disingenuous means.

Yesterday you said you believed there wouldn't be a big difference, saying you would eat crow if there was.

Now today you say the lack of a significant difference "is concerning".

It is obviously not concerning because you said yesterday there wouldn't be a big difference.

How can a prediction you made yesterday be concerning today? Unless of course you are pretending to know less about something than you really do, or being disingenuous.
Salvor, are you really going to dodge this post, even though he put the work in to have the discussion?

No respect. Anyways, I have mad respect for people like Dat Bird, CBOAT and co. If whatever made bish go underground is anywhere near as costly as the red ring saga, Xbox division is over as we know it. I believe the whole unit is on really thin ice and corporate wants it to be profitable from Day One. Which is probably how all the meddling got us to this point.

I guess it was also the xbone that Adam Sessler was tweeting about saying it kept giving him error messages.

Salvor, are you really going to dodge this post, even though he put the work in to have the discussion?

No respect. Anyways, I have mad respect for people like Dat Bird, CBOAT and co. If whatever made bish go underground is anywhere near as costly as the red ring saga, Xbox division is over as we know it. I believe the whole unit is on really thin ice and corporate wants it to be profitable from Day One. Which is probably how all the meddling got us to this point.

I have already addressed it and it's terribly off topic anyway. Travis is chasing his tail.

Ashes

Banned
cpu doesn't have any impact on the resolution the game is rendered at
The game not maintining 60 fps or having a shitty draw distance is what you'd expect from jaguar cpu, not 900p

I think he is suggesting that if the gpu is compensating for the cpu [by doing tasks on gpu that are traditionally done on cpus], it allows less resources for traditional gpu centric tasks.

1: do you still have a link to those replies when you mentioned the ps4 paywall? I'd love to look at the reaction then and the stance those same people now hold about the paywall.
I'm still baffled that it gets defended by people

2: If I remember correctly you were wrong about pretty much everything you said in the ps4/xbox one spec rumor threads before the february reveals.
So don't be surprised if people aren't inclined to believe you. If you keep being right people will come around

I don't have a link, but I've since mellowed. Even so, I still think it's a money-grabbing, anti-consumer, anti-gamer, practise.
The funny thing is of course, that I was going to subscribe, because the psn+ service side is pretty fucking awesome. The mandatory nature of paying for multiplayer is still wrong.

The reasons some people give for rationalizing this are stupid. For example, it was argued that this will lead to a better service. I don't see why I have to fund infrastructure improvement. I didn't and don't on Steam. I don't pay for multiplayer on my Apple devices either.

If you do find that thread, the above isn't the worst thing. It was the quietened down effect that was the worst thing. And even a new thread got locked immediately. It was made out to be nothing, when it was something.

I apologise to the insiders and mods if my recollections are wrong, but it was kind of the wrong thing to do. Confirming a rumour from a trusted insider to be false, when it was anything but.

I think GAF can't function without gaming news websites, and gaming news websites certainly benefit by gaf's ability to parse through different news sources and divert traffic to the news worthy (or in many cases, not news worthy) articles that get published.

Well, GAF works as an excellent filter and a occasional leak from the pipelines, but unfortunately the water-tank doesn't have a dedicated pipeline here, compared to gaming news sites.

So long as the enthusiast gaming press still gets exclusive stuff like interviews, studio access, along other stuff that GAF can't produce on its own, gaming news sites will still exist.

Honestly, what I'd like to see happen is for real news site to have a bigger stake in gaming news. Places like Guardian, or whatnot. Media channels with a significantly lower stake in publisher relationships, compared to the usual IGN and Gamespots. Let them have the juicy steaks, or less for the others.

Jburton

Banned
Of course it will. I don't think anyone in their right mind is disputing that.

Never said that, but please continue to have imaginary conversations with imaginary people.

Who is making snap judgements?

All this information has come from reputable inside sources who have expressly stated that yes ESRAM is in difficulty and that situation should be sorted by driver / dev tool maturation but that even when the dust has settled from that issue the X1 will always have problems keeping up and that X1 users better get used to 720p / 900p as the norm.

Nothing about getting information from good sources and basing judgements from that points to making snap decisions.

Ashes

Banned
PS4 is confirmed 900p?

Rumoured.

A dev or pr statement would be confirmation and I don't believe this exists as of yet.

edit: by the way, Cboat is probably the most trusted insider on Gaf, but even their stuff is rumour and speculation. Goes to show that some rumours are near enough the truth when they come from the right source. That 900p rumour is by the bird I believe.

thuway I don't care what anyone says about you, you're OK in my book. Drop the other bomb soon if you can.

I enjoyed seeing Kevin Dent get goofed on by crazy buttocks. Although, he was right about the video capture stuff apparently.

mjontrix

Please.

I tell you guys things as I hear them, and I get this strange venom. The mods, Kagari and Bish and Mortimer and Bruce and Jschreier and others can vouch that I am not full of fucking shit, so quit with the "THUWAY IS A LIAR, THUWAY IS SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION".

FUN FACT!!!!!

The night before the PS4 press conference I told everyone that Sony was going to put up a paywall but EVERYONE jumped on my case and shut me the fuck up.

I constantly mentioned Killer Instinct was free to play before the game was announced.

I could keep going, but this shit isn't worth it. Put me on the ignore list now.

I trust the bird.

Most of the haters are juniors, just saying, and with the recent astroturfing happening...

CBOAT has got haters too, dw too much bird :)

Its probably r/xboxone leaking anyways.

~~Hasan~~

BF4 900p on PS4? Bwahahaha another reason to pick up Killzone besides free DLC mappacks.

Battlefield is launching with pay to play mappacks, fuck that noise.

its not really fair to compare a game with the scale of BF in 32 vs 32 players to ... killzone.

with that being said. i like KZ better. lol

Vizzeh

Banned
Please.

I tell you guys things as I hear them, and I get this strange venom. The mods, Kagari and Bish and Mortimer and Bruce and Jschreier and others can vouch that I am not full of fucking shit, so quit with the "THUWAY IS A LIAR, THUWAY IS SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION".

FUN FACT!!!!!

The night before the PS4 press conference I told everyone that Sony was going to put up a paywall but EVERYONE jumped on my case and shut me the fuck up.

I constantly mentioned Killer Instinct was free to play before the game was announced.

I could keep going, but this shit isn't worth it. Put me on the ignore list now.
Your pretty much idolised here dude along with cboat, your info is very much interesting and welcome.(I think people appreciate your posts too, as their not just information bombs, hit n run)

Some guys mostly juniors that havent kept up with your history are just getting bitchy because your info doesn't suit them.

Darksol

Only 10 additional pages in my six hours of sleep? I am disappointed, GAF ;)

Hoping for more truthfacts today. Also, If I could go 24 hours without seeing more Twitter exchanges, surly reviewers, or 4chan that'd be great.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You should reread what you quoted. I wrote 'despite what I'm told is significantly better hardware'.

Now don't you feel silly about the namecalling? How immature.

I don't think you realize how sloppy things are working behind the scenes for Xbone. It took an update around 1.4gb to make the OS better. That same update might be the same size as the day 1 update for retail give or take.

I see everyone has gotten cozy as more crap was said and things are being blow up here.

And some of the posters who defend Dent or side with Albert as he's a saint reveal more as opposed to more of the real facts which we have from a few insiders and just common sense as consumers but it's all so rich to discuss things because of how highly sensitive people are over this console wars crap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
its not really fair to compare a game with the scale of BF in 32 vs 32 players to ... killzone.

with that being said. i like KZ better. lol

Yeah, BF4 is pretty honorable here imo. It's the only multiplat game that seems to really be trying to actually cater to the new consoles on top of having a bunch of platforms to spread out on.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

FINALLY GREEN LIGHT.

Battlefield 4 on PS4 is 900p on PS4. So speculation could be rampant, but this is where they are at now.

Also COD Ghosts has framerate issues to be ironed out by launch. Both machines.

One more bit of information, but working on getting another source for that will be nigh impossible, I have informed Kagari about it.

It would be intellectually dishonest for me not to point out the following.

BF4 is 900p on PS4 "right now". OK, so that leave the door wide open so you can't be wrong if the game ships at 1080p, which is in less than 3 weeks. Let's just say that's a convenient way of making a prediction. If you want to say it's 900p, than say it's 900p. Throwing in the "right now" qualifier just leaves the door open for you to say you weren't wrong later.

Ghosts has framerate issues, but they will be ironed out by launch? Again, a claim that can never be proven false.

And apparently your third prediction was going to be about the resolution for a game that is coming in a year?!? Shit, talk about leaving the door open even further. I could tell you right now that Halo 5 runs at 1080p, but of course if the game comes out a year from now running at 720p, I could always say "Well, it was running at 1080p a year ago!".

I'm sorry, but for a prediction to carry any weight with me, it has to be without qualifications. It can't leave the door wide open so the predictor can never be proven wrong. Otherwise we're just wasting our time here.

Vizzeh

Banned
It would be intellectually dishonest for me not to point out the following.

BF4 is 900p on PS4 "right now". OK, so that leave the door wide open so you can't be wrong if the game ships at 1080p, which is in less than 3 weeks. Let's just say that's a convenient way of making a prediction. If you want to say it's 900p, than say it's 900p. Throwing in the "right now" qualifier just leaves the door open for you to say you weren't wrong if it's 1080p at launch.

Ghosts has framerate issues, but they will be ironed out by launch. Again, a claim that can never be proven false.

And apparently your third prediction was going to be about the resolution for a game that is coming in a year?!? Shit, talk about leaving the door open even further. I could tell you right now that Halo 5 runs at 1080p, but of course if the game comes out a year from now running at 720p, I could always say "Well, it was running at 1080p a year ago!".

I'm sorry, but for a prediction to carry any weight with me, it has to be without qualifications. It can't leave the door wide open so the predictor can never be proven wrong. Otherwise we're just wasting our time here.

He backed up why he said 900p in another post, because BF4 is pushing for 1080p on PS4, but stable at 900p...so its a time factor.

SHADES

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

FINALLY GREEN LIGHT.

Battlefield 4 on PS4 is 900p on PS4. So speculation could be rampant, but this is where they are at now.

Also COD Ghosts has framerate issues to be ironed out by launch. Both machines.

One more bit of information, but working on getting another source for that will be nigh impossible, I have informed Kagari about it.

The Bird is the Word!

He backed up why he said 900p in another post, because BF4 is pushing for 1080p on PS4, but stable at 900p...so its a time factor.

Well guess what? There isn't any time left. If BF4 is going to be on stores shelves in less than 3 weeks, those discs are being produced right about now. So we'll know what resolution that game ships at on that disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom