• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Saleh, popular YouTube racist, kicked off Delta plane for being a jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you implying that if he was playing a 'social experiment' of counting to fucking 10 in another language that would legitimize it ?

He's saying that the guy tries to make people uncomfortable and cause drama for youtube views. He also has a history of uploading a video saying 'This happened' and it turning out to be completely false.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Are you implying that if he was playing a 'social experiment' of counting to fucking 10 in another language that would legitimize it ?

Nothing happened in that case, but seeing that he does that makes it hard for me to believe he didn't do something this time. What that was is the question.

The fact that y'all wanna change the discussion to YouTube whether it's a real job or that he does prank videos and not the fact that this is discrimination is fucking ridiculous.

So you're using previous behaviour from Delta to make your decision, then saying that it's wrong to use Adam Saleh's previous behaviour to raise skepticism.

Gotcha

Falsely claiming discrimination is way out of line compared to his other pranks. Kicking a Muslim off a plane for no reason unfortunately isn't very out of line these days.

If it turns out this is all fake, I'll gladly call him an asshat for making light of a very real problem.

marrec

Banned

No, what he's saying is that the dude has had the genesis of conducting "social experiments" on planes since at least Feb 2016, and given the track record of both him and other "pranksters" on YouTube these experiments usually involve faking things. For all we know, Saleh has been trying to get kicked off planes since then using increasingly elaborate antics.

Or, as has happened in the past, Delta kicked him off cause white people were scared of a brown person.

Either one is possible at this point.

I think the lesson we need to take from this is:

Don't be a fake ass fake fucker on YouTube if you wanna be taken seriously without skepticism.

MrHoot

In any case you'd have to be pretty damn noisy to have 20 different people complaining about you for just "speaking arabic"

Tremis

This man does his research.
Who was the other customer kicked off? I'm assuming these two got into a verbal argument which got heated and they were both kicked off? Is this a possibility?

Ray Wonder

Who was the other customer kicked off? I'm assuming these two got into a verbal argument which got heated and they were both kicked off? Is this a possibility?

Him and his brother (or friend, I'm not sure.)

Baki

I will be of the unpopular opinion of "two minds " here. Not that this couldn't happen because of racism, totally could and I can recall that case of the black person not being considered a doctor despite him (or her i don't remember) being one.

But the guy is indeed a known jackass who almost litteraly lives from attention so while racism might be a very real possibility separate from his behaviour, I might wait a day before casting a hasty judgement

Ermmm...I watched a few of his videos. He's not a known jackass.

Anyways, I'm not flying delta again.

Also SMH @ people in this thread doubting whats happening here because the guy is a YouTuber.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah, i dont know. they way he's filming it and giving a live commentary is a bit suspicious. i have been traveling in this country for the past 16 years and yes sometimes ive spoken Urdu on the phone to let my mom know ive landed safely. never been reported. he was probably being loud and trying to create a scene. When people get thrown off the plane, they dont pull out their phone and start vlogging and antagonizing people. the people waving bye appear racist but we dont know what he did to get that reaction.

In any case you'd have to be pretty damn noisy to have 20 different people complaining about you for just "speaking arabic"

There you go.

Alpha_eX

That's a really shitty prank, purposely triggering people. What sort of reaction was he trying to get here, did he get the one he didn't want in this case?

People should watch to the end of the video though, he has clips with his family which is quite sweet, but if he does this nonsense before a flight he's bound to get attention from the security/staff at some point.

No sympathy if he was doing a pre-flight "prank" but seriously, fuck the bye clappers.

Beefy

Also SMH @ people in this thread doubting whats happening here because the guy is a YouTuber.

Yes he is. He gets called out by many other Youtubers for the way he acts.

Raynes

Yes I know youtube is his job. Let's not pretend every youtuber is worthy of respect though.

No one has said that.

And while it's easy to sit there and say "blame the people who watch it"

How is that easy? How is it easier to blame the people who watch him rather than him?

ultimately it's up to the channel creator who has control over the type of content and their behavior. That's just a general statement. I'm not weighing in on this particular incident.

He's doing nothing against the law, but it's fair enough you and others dislike him. There will always be people you think are fools. The only reason he bothers in particular is because he is popular, popular enough for him to come to your attention. He is not to blame for his popularity, the people who watch him gave him popularity.

Delta is trash. They recently let some Trump loud mouth stay onboard as he verbally abused everyone on the plane that didn't vote for him, yet if you have brown skin you get thrown off, no exceptions.

That's a fucking problem, don't fly with them.
IIRC, they asked him to shut up and he did, and then they banned him for life.

Baki

That's a really shitty prank, purposely triggering people. What sort of reaction was he trying to get here, did he get the one he didn't want in this case?

People should watch to the end of the video though, he has clips with his family which is quite sweet, but if he does this nonsense before a flight he's bound to get attention from the security/staff at some point.

No sympathy if he was doing a pre-flight "prank" but seriously, fuck the bye clappers.

What's wrong with counting down in Arabic on a plane? If people get uncomfortable with that, it's because they are racist fuckers.

Ray Wonder

What's wrong with counting down in Arabic on a plane? If people get uncomfortable with that, it's because they are racist fuckers.

They didn't, so your point about them being racist is moot, but we don't know what he did this time.

Alpha_eX

100% agree with you, racist fuckers indeed, but he was playing on that to trigger a reaction, he was pulling a prank.

EDIT: just incase it isn't clear, I'm not saying he did it this time, but only offering the possibility that he was pulling a similar prank to provoke similar reactions, and it resulted in him getting kicked off.

I think it's more because he's a YouTuber who makes a living by pranking people. He literally pays his bills by fooling people and crying wolf. Does that mean this is fake? Of course not. It's absolutely possible that there really is a wolf this time, but people being skeptical is justified.

If anyone speaking any language started counting down on a plane I'd be scared. Imagine a random white dude on a plane and just out of nowhere goes "10....9.....8....7....6....5....4." That wouldn't freak you out? Because I'd be terrified.

Tigress

I don't know, this one I'd really want to know more before I made any sort of judgement. Yes, I realize it has happened and I don't disbelieve this couldn't happen.

But, given what the guy does for a living, I could also see this as him being an ass beforehand and just using that video to make himself look better.

So either scenario to me is pretty believable.

So I would really like to know what happened beforehand before I went condemning anyone.

100% agree with you, racist fuckers indeed, but he was playing on that to trigger a reaction, he was pulling a prank.

EDIT: just incase it isn't clear, I'm not saying he did it this time, but only offering the possibility that he was pulling a similar prank to provoke similar reactions, and it resulted in him getting kicked off.

Ah, I don't know, depending on the prank if he managed to get them to act like an ass, all he really did was get them to show their true colors. As I said, would depend on what happened beforehand. Did he just speak arabic and that was enough to troll people to do this? Then I'm sorry, that's on them regardless even if he purposely was tryign to get that reaction. They should not have had that reaction to that and the prank should have fell flat (but instead the prank illustrated the problem we have in this society). Was he acting like a total ass or even trying to do stuff that made him look suspicious (like stuff other than speaking arabic or looking arabic)? Then I might be more like to say it was justified kicking him off.

If anyone speaking any language started counting down on a plane I'd be scared. Imagine a random white dude on a plane and just out of nowhere goes "10....9.....8....7....6....5....4." That wouldn't freak you out? Because I'd be terrified.

Eh it depends if its Chris Jericho or not

No one has said that.

How is that easy? How is it easier to blame the people who watch him rather than him?

He's doing nothing against the law, but it's fair enough you and others dislike him. There will always be people you think are fools. The only reason he bothers in particular is because he is popular, popular enough for him to come to your attention. He is not to blame for his popularity, the people who watch him gave him popularity.
No one has said that but you clearly implied it by insulting the guy for having "9-5 slave job" while praising this specific youtuber. How is it easy? Gee because then you're not holding people accountable for what they're doing and instead just blame the people who make them popular. I never said I disliked him nor did I say anything he is doing is illegal. I don't even know this guy. Where did I say any of those things? I'm talking about YouTubers in general. I've seen a few who are scumbags yet just because they're popular that doesn't change that fact. And when they come to my attention it may be because they're popular but it's also because they did something shitty in the first place. And honestly I've seen my fair share of prankster YouTubers do something dumb or lie so yes there is a reputation when it comes to those type of channel creators.

Baki

I think it's more because he's a YouTuber who makes a living by pranking people. He literally pays his bills by fooling people and crying wolf. Does that mean this is fake? Of course not. It's absolutely possible that there really is a wolf this time, but people being skeptical is justified.

The difference with English is that people understand it. Now if someone was counting down in Japanese, I wouldn't know. All I know is that he's speaking a foreign language.

Lol what is this thread?

At the end of the day, dude got kicked out of a plane for making people 'uncomfortable' just because he was speaking a different language.

This is 2016 though, where being racist is ok.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Oh please. You can't possibly be this obtuse. The reaction he's trying to incite is absolutely clear. It doesn't matter what fucking language it's in, the implication is clear.

Baki

Oh please. You can't possibly be this obtuse. The reaction he's trying to incite is absolutely clear. It doesn't matter what fucking language it's in, the implication is clear.

Of course the language matters. I just explained why.

Please come back and address my point.

Alpha_eX

If you were with young children and a prankster started doing this, and your kids started getting visibility distressed and crying, as a parent, what would you do?

Regardless of the prank, doing something to trigger nervous flyers is a shitty thing to do. If that's the case, then serves him right. I'm leaning towards that based on the videos I've seen of him doing exactly this.

But still, he was flying to see family, he should act like a grown up.

The difference with English is that people understand it. Now if someone was counting down in Japanese, I wouldn't know. All I know is that he's speaking a foreign language.

if he would be speaking Italian, then you think they would be listing ingredients for his Nonna's famous tomato sauce.

that's how stereotyping work

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Just based on that Twitter video I find it hard to believe he was kicked off just for speaking Arabic. I'm with family members all the time on planes and they sometimes speak Albanian or Serbian and that never happens. I've heard plenty of Arabic spoken on planes as well.

If true though, it's disgusting, and I hope he files a lawsuit.

Saya

The reactions from fellow passengers: "byeee"

They're cool with that I guess.

I have never and will never fly Delta.

Tigress

If you were with young children and a prankster started doing this, and your kids started getting visibility distressed and crying, as a parent, what would you do?

Regardless of the prank, doing something to trigger nervous flyers is a shitty thing to do. If that's the case, then serves him right. I'm leaning towards that based on the videos I've seen of him doing exactly this.

But still, he was flying to see family, he should act like a grown up.

Speaking arabic and looking arabic shouldn't be enough to make your kids cry or you nervous. I think you are missing that point. But as I said, if he was doing more than just speaking arabic or looking it and trying really hard to get that reaction I'd be more with you. It just depends on what he did before the video (and since he is a prankster I really don't want to say I am pretty sure either way as I could see either scenario as both are pretty believable).

necrosis

this is pretty fucked

certainly won't be booking with delta going into the future. also, it would be nice if he was able to file a lawsuit (it would be even nicer if the people waving "bye" were kicked off the plane mid-flight)

jax

Banned
I think there's definitely racism involved, but this dude is a known prankster who has filmed "terrorism" pranks on planes.. hard to know what to believe without actually being there.

Fliesen

Lol what is this thread?

At the end of the day, dude got kicked out of a plane for making people 'uncomfortable' just because he was speaking a different language.

This is 2016 though, where being racist is ok.

people are just pointing out that he's a person who makes a living out of making people "uncomfortable" - so, while i'm all 'in dubo pro reo' on this, i can understand how people are taking the video with a huge grain of salt.
We don't know if the 'speaking of a different language' is what originally caused people to be uncomfortable with him. I feel like he could make people feel uncomfortable even if he was an "english speaking white boy"

I'd at least give Delta a chance for a statement before calling for a boycott, personally.

To me, this just totally sounds like that Facebook chain letter story about this non-caucasian person that got upgraded into first class because some old bigot didn't want to sit next to them, just with a different 'punch line' (i believe the original was that the whole plane started applauding...)

i don't think that anyone in this thread who's saying that we shouldn't just accept this video as 'proof' and as a factual description of what happened is automatically disputing the fact that racism is real in America, that these things have happened before and that things have probably gotten worse since Trump got elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom