• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adjusted for inflation, Legend of Zelda sold for $70.79 in 1987

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
monkspider said:
Wow, a side-scrolling Zelda, looks hot!
I wonder if this was a fan hack of Mario or some weird Chinese bootleg or something.

i guess just another artist mock-up like karate kid and jaws. who knows--pretty funny though.

Worth every penny. My favorite "expensive" game purchase to this day was the $80 plus tax I spent on Chrono Trigger back in 1995. Yes, expensive but so worth it.
Johnas said:
Yep.

I definitely remember paying more than $29.99 for the average NES game though...
You're right. Just thinking back now, I got SMB2 for my 10th birthday and it was $45 at the now defunct Child World store chain.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
monkspider said:
Wow, a side-scrolling Zelda, looks hot!
I wonder if this was a fan hack of Mario or some weird Chinese bootleg or something.

That's not a side-scrolling Zelda. It's Adventure Link.

It was a construction set that came with 9 different fantasy tiles you could place on 3 different screens to make your own "adventure game". It came with a 300 baud modem that hooked into one of the controller ports so you could share your creations with others.

mr stroke

sears-catalog-1992-pg511-SNES_full.jpg

SF2-snes=105$ :0

of course that is nothing compared to this

NeoGeoAESbox.jpg

Neo Geo game today=300.26$:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FlyinJ said:
That's not a side-scrolling Zelda. It's Adventure Link.

It was a construction set that came with 9 different fantasy tiles you could place on 3 different screens to make your own "adventure game". It came with a 300 baud modem that hooked into one of the controller ports so you could share your creations with others.

:lol so much about gaming history I don't know. I'd never even heard about any of that. Guess SSBB had a pre-cursor after all.

Love the scans too, takes me back.

Ilchymis said:
Earthbound (1995) - $69.99 = $97.22 in 2008 dollars

now to find some way to turn this into an excuse to my wife to let me buy the game on ebay.

"but honey, when adjusted for inflation, buying this game at $80 I'm actually SAVING money!"

Flakster99

KyanMehwulfe said:
SNES games were all $79.99 to $99.99 in Canada.

I remember Microplay wanted $140 for a Chrono Trigger pre-order.

I paid $136.98 for Chrono Trigger back in '95 at a St. Catharines' local gaming shop called Game Tronics. Expensive for a 21 yr old in college, but was worth every penny. :)

Heck, I paid full price for every single SquareSoft, Capcom, Sega, Enix and Nintendo title, when they were released in the '80/'90's.

jacket320

I'd pay it again too. That game took me places that gamers rarely go - almost like a euphoria or heightened sense of being via digital enlightenment.

C4Lukins

Most new NES games were 49.99 back then not 29.99. I think some of the battery pack games were even a little higher, and during the SNES days some games would get above 65 dollars.

hokahey

AstroLad said:
i guess just another artist mock-up like karate kid and jaws. who knows--pretty funny though.

Am I missing something here? That's Zelda 2. It was a side scroller. Are these joke posts?

29.99 my ass. Though I don't recall exactly what they were up here in Canada because my mom bought all of them for me. I do remember Super Street Fighter 2 and Chrono Trigger running her about 80-90 bucks.

besada

Banned
As someone who played videogames heavily during the era, I laugh at your 29.99.

We routinely paid $40 or more for cart-based games. Even in the death throes of the Atari 2600, we were popping $30 per cart.

I remember all sorts of news stories regarding price fixing and Nintendo because the prices never went down. Ever.

Link1110

Ilchymis said:
I think the SNES days were the heyday for outrageous prices, especially when you look at them adjusted for inflation.

Earthbound (1995) - $69.99 = $97.22 in 2008 dollars
Street Fighter II (various iterations) - $69.99 between $97.22 and $102.54
Chrono Trigger (1995) - $79.99 = $111.11 in 2008

Them shits were outrageous!
Then there were all the Square Super Famicom games that sold for 11,400 yen. Everything from Final Fantasy VI on. Final Fantasy V era games being 9,800 yen wasn't much better, either.

M3wThr33

Banned
That Sears catalog is overpriced. They always had markup. Same with JC Penny. I remember going through it laughing at that.

gururoji

Dude! I remember seeing an ad/catalog page with that very similar if not exact same Bionic Commando screenshot! It was the first time I ever saw Bionic Commando...I remember being obsessed with it for some reason based on that picture, even though if my memory is correct, it didn't come out until long after I saw that ad. I remember being weirded out when I got the game and it looked way different...but it still ended up being one of my all time favorite games.

Thank you so much AstroLad for posting that and bringing back that childhood memory. :D

andthebeatgoeson

Do you wish gas prices were higher? Price of coffee to be higher? Maybe our taxes should be higher. Are you really arguing that we should be happy that prices for games, which would limit the amount of games you can buy, should be going up?

Well, luckily, teh casual gaming public won't read your post nor mine and will make their own decision. I'll buy less games at $60 and maybe others will too and publishers may get the hint. I certainly don't want to have to pay more nor do I want to finance a tech war that hasn't really lived up to the promises.

Top Bottom