• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inflation-adjusted Console Launch Prices:

Haven't found any recent data on this, so i made my own.

Inflation-adjusted US-Console Launch Prices in July 2020:

Chart

lpbarsd3kh4.png

Data

lplistpij6v.png

Sources

Inflation isn't that relevant when you consider the wage stagnation since the 1960's. In other words, yes money is worth less but the money people make hasn't really increased much either. And whilst 1000 dollar+ phones exist and sell, so do many other luxury status goods, but you'd have to argue there's a large overlap between the parts of the population that buy those and the part that buys consoles. I personally don't know the numbers on that so I can't say whether that's a valid argument or not.

Generally most seem to believe there's a cut-off point, the PS3 went over it at the start of last gen but I wouldn't know what that point is right now, we might find out though.

Inflation isn't that relevant when you consider the wage stagnation since the 1960's. In other words, yes money is worth less but the money people make hasn't really increased much either. And whilst 1000 dollar+ phones exist and sell, so do many other luxury status goods, but you'd have to argue there's a large overlap between the parts of the population that buy those and the part that buys consoles. I personally don't know the numbers on that so I can't say whether that's a valid argument or not.

Generally most seem to believe there's a cut-off point, the PS3 went over it at the start of last gen but I wouldn't know what that point is right now, we might find out though.

inflation by it's very definition is the increase of consumer goods prices. so there is a strong coherence with the trend of the median wages. that's the only reason why you use inflation rate to calculate buying power equivalents of different years in macroeconomics.

or in simple terms: wage stagnation only occurs when you adjust for inflation. usual people were actually paid around $3000-9000 a year in the late 60s and probably worked more hours for that.

Trimesh

Banned
I'm really not sure how useful inflation adjusted pricing is when dealing with an absolutely optional purchase like a games console. Especially in an environment where people have become accustomed to the prices on tech products constantly dropping.

Birdo

Banned
This doesn't seem right. Too many other factors are missing in these calculations to be a good comparison.

I purchsed all of those back in the day, and they didn't seem that expensive at the time. Even though I didn't have much money.

It was noble effort. But next gen consoles are going to cost too much. Sorry.

Last edited:

nowhat

The fucking 3DO was $699 in 1993. What an insane rip-off that thing must've seemed like back then to the average consumer, regardless of its tech.
It did have Star Control 2 though. If that's not a system seller I don't know what is.

(yes, in the end it didn't save the console, but it's still a phenomenal game)

nkarafo

The Neo-Geo was literally an arcade board in your home. No cuts to the hardware like how the Genesis/Mega Drive was a cut down version of an even less powerful arcade board.

Imagine having a full Model 3 board in your house in 1996 while everyone else are struggling with their PS1 or N64. That must have been a similar deal with the Neo-Geo in 1991.

The problem with the Neo-Geo though is that it's true power was "unlocked" pretty late in it's life. You had to wait 5+ years for something like Metal Slug to appear.

I would also like to see the Jaguar in that chart. It was dirt cheap.

This doesn't seem right. Too many other factors are missing in these calculations to be a good comparison.

I purchsed all of those back in the day, and they didn't seem that expensive at the time. Even though I didn't have much money.

mind to share what factors are missing? i can't account for every personal income development.

there are fair critisims on the official inflation rate calculus, but luxury goods in general have inflated more than the basket of goods. at least the last 10-15 years.

recursive

What exactly are your expectations? The power of a $1500 pc in a console for $300? If so prepare to be disappointed.

Also not sure exactly what your issue with the data is since you didn't elaborate. Interested to know what doesn't "seem" right.

The OG Xbox launched at £400 and was very quickly dropped to £300

I know because i purchased one for £400 and a few weeks later Microsoft sent me a free gift of 2x pads and 1x launch game OR 1x pad and 2 x launch games for free, to make up for the difference.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The OG Xbox launched at £400 and was very quickly dropped to £300

I know because i purchased one for £400 and a few weeks later Microsoft sent me a free gift of 2x pads and 1x launch game OR 1x pad and 2 x launch games for free, to make up for the difference.

how soon after launch did they drop XB1 prices? it was £449 here at launch and PS4 was £349.

love your avatar btw :)

how soon after launch did they drop XB1 prices? it was £449 here at launch and PS4 was £349.

love your avatar btw :)
If IIRC (im going back 20 years) it was no more than a month after a launch. They dropped it pretty quick because the PS2 had been on the market about 18 months and Microsoft wanted to make a positive first impression, and boy, did they!

Cheers. Always good to see another Dilkington fan

Why did you use the more expensive Xbox 360 SKU, but the less expensive PS3 SKU?

because there was no hard drive-less PS3. but yeah that's probably a bit misguiding. should i change that? i always thought 360 would be pretty useless without HDD. but yeah that's personal taste. sorry. even with the hard drive 360 was a steal for what was in there.

I made this because i find it incredible odd that people are willing to pay $700-1000 for their phones and seem to be hesitant when it comes to consoles over $399 while in the latter goes much more resources and R&D while they last you easily double as long
People have their phones straight in their face all the time, and a LOT of people take whatever phone comes free with their contract where this option of offered... so the price is more or less an unknown to them.

$399 seems fine to me, but the Canadian $ lost a lot of value since 2013, so we would be paying $600 cad (it used to be in parity with the USD)... So anything above 400USD will make it a no go for many people here.

I never understand the point of inflation threads. People purchase things based off of their perceived value of the item, their priorities, and their financial security at that current point in time.

Nobody thinks “I wasn’t going to buy this but I decided to because it’s cheaper than an inflation adjusted PS3”.

jigglet

Banned
I never understand the point of inflation threads. People purchase things based off of their perceived value of the item, their priorities, and their financial security at that current point in time.

lmfao that IS inflation.

In this thread: people who don't get inflation.

Disclaimer: as an old dude, I didn't get inflation too until I was around for long enough to really see how it worked.

Last edited:
Nobody thinks “I wasn’t going to buy this but I decided to because it’s cheaper than an inflation adjusted PS3”.

the point is people on avarage have more (absolute, not necessarily real) income than they had 14 years ago, therefore they should be able to afford a more expensive console (in sheer dollar terms) without investing more of their buying power.

Reactions: Gp1
lmfao that IS inflation.

In this thread: people who don't get inflation.

Disclaimer: as an old dude, I didn't get inflation too until I was around for long enough to really see how it worked.

Read up on stagflation old dude. Inflation and purchases, especially at a specific product category level, do not move on a linear scale.

jigglet

Banned
Read up on stagflation old dude. Inflation and purchases, especially at a specific product category level, do not move on a linear scale.

If you want to talk about perceived value, these consoles are cheaper than they have ever been in history - forget statistics, this is my perception, using your words. If you look at average salaries today compared to what I was paid back in the 90's....and a potential $599 PS5...are you kidding me? This shit is CHEAP.

Good chart and thanks for doing it.

I always look at value as a measure of how much you are going to use any item, spend money on things you use the most. For me a cell phone isn't something you cheap out on because you will use it the most for the average person. A console depends on how much you game. And never spend too much on a car cause its the worst investment you will ever make.

Dr Kaneda

I made this because i find it incredible odd that people are willing to pay $700-1000 for their phones and seem to be hesitant when it comes to consoles over $399 while in the latter go much more resources and R&D while they last you easily double as long
I have never understood why people on here try and compare consoles to phones and computers. Phones and computer and faaaaaaar more open/versatile/usable platforms. Email, texts (whatsapp, viber, imessage etc..), all the various social medias (twitter, instagram, facebook etc..), web browsing, video browsing, ability to download countless apps/pieces of software.... the list of difference between the two is MASSIVE and it's reflected in the price people are willing to pay for them compared to consoles which 99% of people ONLY use to play games on. Which themselves cost $60 a pop as well and are trickled out at what? A rate of maybe 3-5 games a year and that's if it's a good year for you.

Reactions: Gp1
I have never understood why people on here try and compare consoles to phones and computers. Phones and computer and faaaaaaar more open/versatile/usable platforms. Email, texts (whatsapp, viber, imessage etc..), all the various social medias (twitter, instagram, facebook etc..), web browsing, video browsing, ability to download countless apps/pieces of software.... the list of difference between the two is MASSIVE and it's reflected in the price people are willing to pay for them compared to consoles which 99% of people ONLY use to play games on. Which themselves cost $60 a pop as well and are trickled out at what? A rate of maybe 3-5 games a year and that's if it's a good year for you.

i understand that people might be inclined to spend more for things they use more.

but for the things you list, you really don't need luxery variants of said phones and computers. yet people are buying the mighty expensive configurations without them really having added value for their usage profile. and anyways it would take microsoft a weary smile to make a versitle computer out of a xbox.

Rockman33

I think your quite mistaken if you think 99% of the time consoles are used for only games. It’s plenty of peopleS streaming box as well; Netflix, amazon, Disney + etc.

Having said that I do agree phones are vital at this point in our society where consoles are more a luxury item.

Dr Kaneda

i understand that people might be inclined to spend more for things they use more.

but for the things you list, you really don't need luxery variants of said phones and computers. yet people are buying the mighty expensive configurations without them really having added value for their usage profile. and anyways it would take microsoft a weary smile to make a versitle computer out of a xbox.

Again that's owning to the closed nature of consoles. You've got countless different options for phone and computer tech, with consoles you're limited to 3 choices essentially.

I think your quite mistaken if you think 99% of the time consoles are used for only games. It’s plenty of peopleS streaming box as well; Netflix, amazon, Disney + etc.

Having said that I do agree phones are vital at this point in our society where consoles are more a luxury item.

If you tallied up all the time spent on consoles across everyone that owns one and broke down what that time was spent on I'd be amazed if it wasn't something close to that figure for gaming.

Dural

Are they though? The best selling iPhone certainly isn’t the most expensive model.

because there was no hard drive-less PS3. but yeah that's probably a bit misguiding. should i change that? i always thought 360 would be pretty useless without HDD. but yeah that's personal taste. sorry. even with the hard drive 360 was a steal for what was in there.
It's problematic with different launch SKUs and it will be worse this gen with 4 very different SKUs

Old Retro

I remember the Neo Geo was an astronomical price and saw it in stores only a few times. In 1996, Saturn and PSX had dropped to $200 each.

Dane

I made this because i find it incredible odd that people are willing to pay $700-1000 for their phones and seem to be hesitant when it comes to consoles over $399 while in the latter go much more resources and R&D while they last you easily double as long

It's called structure, it's like saying why people doesn't spend 3k in a phone but spends 30k in a car that has yearly new versions.

Consoles were structured since it's inception to be affordable and not change for X years, phones weren't, they originated as an expensive new thing that over the time got cheaper, plus a significant portion (or the majority) in the US are sold with carriers contracts which greatly reduces the price, including its buyback schemes for every new generation. This means that people aren't actually paying 1k, but way less than that.

Also phones are considered a necessity, you have plenty of cheap to expensive options to a everday hours of use that can outpass a console easily.

Last edited:
Man what were Sega thinking with that price for Saturn
The Canadian version of this would be even more depressing.

And this is why despite being a huge Sega fan I totally missed out on the Saturn. So expensive plus 15% sales tax.

I also remember seeing the Neo Geo in the very early 90s for $1000 CAD. An unfathomable sum that really added to its mystique. We all only ever heard of a single "friend of a friend" who supposedly had one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

600$ is the most that im expecting from either system with the PS5 DE being the cheapest one. No idea how much cheaper though but 100$ less seems like a good plan if they are willing to take the hit.

Top Bottom