• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika Bambaataa being accused of molesting 'hundreds' of boys by former bodygaurd

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ted-hundreds-boys-bodyguard-article-1.2626593

Afrika Bambaataa molested “hundreds” of boys who were paraded in and out of his places in the Bronx and on the road, said a man who claims to be a former bodyguard for the hip hop pioneer.

Shamsideen Shariyf Ali Bey, in an interview with an internet radio host, backed up claims from three alleged sexual abuse victims that Bambaataa preyed on them when they were boys.

"I can say I walked in on stuff and said, 'What the f--k is going on?'” Bey told Troi Terrain, the radio host better known as Star. “There are things that I saw that confirmed it for me. Everyone knows these allegations go back to the early ’70s.”

Bey told Star, in an interview posted on YouTube, that Bambaataa was surrounded by people who were protected his pervy secret.

“There’s always a boy in his house,” Bey told Star, a former Hot 97 and Power 105 DJ. “When he leaves and gets home, there’s always a boy there. I’ve seen them camped, asking him for money. He travels with late teens, those are the ones he takes overseas with him. When I went with him on tour in the states, I’d stay in one room, and he would have boys in the room with him … since the ’70s, it’s been hundreds.”

Hassan Campbell told the Daily News last month that Bambaataa was a “pervert” who sexually abused him numerous times.

Campbell and several other men spoke out about Bambaataa, 59, after The News published a story last Sunday about former music industry executive and Democratic Party activist Ronald Savage, who claims Bambaataa abused him at least five times in 1980,

Bambaataa, whose 1982 hit "Planet Rock" helped turn rap music into an international phenomenon, has denied the charges.

The victims have been trying to pressure state lawmakers to reform New York's statute of limitations for sex abuse cases, which bars child victims from pursuing criminal charges or civil litigation after their 23rd birthday.

Man, this is crazy. I'm only just hearing about it now, but apparently 4 people accused him of sexually abusing them a little less than a month ago:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ccuser-ronald-savage-speaks-article-1.2594599

“I want him to know how much he damaged me growing up,” says Savage, 50, who was known as “Bee Stinger” when he was running with the Zulu Nation, the international hip-hop organization Bambaataa founded in the 1970s.

“I was just a child,” he told the Daily News. “Why did he take my innocence away? Why did he do this to me?”

---

Two high-ranking Zulu Nation officials, meanwhile, recently called Savage several times and said they would help him get a sitdown with Bambaataa so he could confront his alleged abuser. And they vowed to help him get compensation for the alleged abuse.

“Name your price,” one says on recordings of the conversations reviewed by The News. “We can take care of this today. Cash money.”

Both men asked Savage to stop speaking to the media about the abuse allegations, although it is not clear that they are trying to buy his silence.

“I’m not talking about no $5,000,” the man says. “I’m talking about, let’s get a number, let’s say $50,000.”

“One hundred thousand!” Savage fires back, although he repeatedly adds during the conversations that he doesn’t want Bambaataa’s money.

Tozaki says Bambaataa has no knowledge of the conversations.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/afrika-bambaataa-accused-sex-abuse-men-article-1.2603875

Afrika Bambaataa was not just a hip-hop star when Hassan Campbell began hanging out at his Bronx apartment during the late 1980s -- he was also a father figure.

When Campbell was hungry, Bambaataa gave him a meal. When Campbell needed a place to stay because of troubles at home, Bambaataa gave him a bed. When Campbell needed money, Bambaataa gave him cash.

"He had the most fun house in the world," recalled Campbell, 39. "There were celebrities there, musicians, neighborhood heroes. It was the best place to be - and the worst place to be."

It was the worst place to be because Bambaataa sexually abused him numerous times when he was 12 and 13 years old, Campbell told the Daily News.

"He is a pervert," Campbell added. "He likes little boys."

I wonder how many dudes in the NY hip hop scene knew about this and kept quiet :\

Really sad. A pioneer but if this is true, fuck him.

And fuck anyone that associates with him who even thinks about brushing it off.

LQX

He should also be locked up. How the hell do you know a man is potentially molesting kids and do nothing? Disgusting.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn seems like every day somebody famous from the past 30 to 40 years is revealed to be a child molester. If I were more of a conspiracy theory person I'd almost surrealist suspect some kind of larger group or groups of these people aware of each other and colluding to keep this shit secret.

Krejlooc

Banned
Everyone involved failed those kids. How can you "walk in" on stuff, say "what the fuck" and then... not do anything? You're a bodyguard? You're telling me you can't take afrika bambaataa? Fuck you.

Oh, and Afrika Bambaataa is a goddamn monster.

Sapientas

Really insane how hundreds of cases like these can be swept under the rug for more than 30 years. How can you know someone that acts like that for years and not do anything about it?

Really fucked up.

Krejlooc

Banned
Damn seems like every day somebody famous from the past 30 to 40 years is revealed to be a child molester.

Child Molestation is way, way more common than you know. 1 in 5 girls will be sexually abused, and 1 in 20 boys. You likely know several people who were molested growing up and have no idea.

And the old image that it's only the greasy, balding perv molesting kids is wrong. That's actually part of what keeps the statistic so high. It can be anyone. It's most often family members, actually.

Dennis

Banned
So no other adults around this man was sufficiently morally outraged to try and stop it for all these years?

Calvero

Banned
Child Molestation is way, way more common than you know. 1 in 5 girls will be sexually abused, and 1 in 20 boys. You likely know several people who were molested growing up and have no idea.

And the old image that it's only the greasy, balding perv molesting kids is wrong. That's actually part of what keeps the statistic so high. It can be anyone. It's most often family members, actually.

yeah, it's disgusting how common it really is

Had this article by David Dennis over at Bossip float up my facebook wall yesterday.

Relevant passage:

KRS-One is the most famous man to speak up about the allegations against Donovan and his response was a troubling perpetuation of rape culture:

“For me, if you keep it hip-hop, nothing can be taken away from Afrika Bambaataa,” he said. “But if you want to dig into dude’s personal life and accusations that’s being made and so on, personally, I don’t give a f–k.”

“If somebody was harmed or whatever, y’all gotta deal with that s–t. That don’t stop what you did for hip-hop. It don’t take away none of it. History is history. But deal with that. That’s personal.”​

In 30 seconds, KRS-One established why Black boys can’t find justice or peace when they’re sexually assaulted: “y’all gotta deal with that,” “deal with it,” “that’s personal.” And still beyond the accusations, hurting Black boys doesn’t take away from someone’s legacy. There needs to be a thousand Black men speaking up for these boys and against sexual assault for every idiotic KRS-One comment. There needs to be a united front of support and courage in facing sexual assault and the Black boys it victimizes. We as Black men need to be able to stand up and look other Black men in the eye and tell them that they can’t continue to victimize Black boys and girls. We have to do a better job at this. We’ve been silent too long in protecting Black women from sexual assault and haven’t even begun to adequately broach the topic of Black men who have had to live through sexual assault.

I get it. We want to uphold our legends and are tired of the constant bombardments against Black people who find success. But what’s more important is protecting Black bodies. And I don’t care how many anthems Afrika Bambaataa made or what his contributions to Hip-Hop are, his fame will never be more important than keeping Black boys safe.

I get it. We want to uphold our legends and are tired of the constant bombardments against Black people who find success. But what’s more important is protecting Black bodies. And I don’t care how many anthems Afrika Bambaataa made or what his contributions to Hip-Hop are, his fame will never be more important than keeping Black boys safe.
Amen to this.

weshes195

The victims have been trying to pressure state lawmakers to reform New York's statute of limitations for sex abuse cases, which bars child victims from pursuing criminal charges or civil litigation after their 23rd birthday.

Ok...Excuse my language but:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Uh, no really, what. the. fuck? Like SERIOUSLY

WHAT THE FUCK? Someone PLEASE post a good reason for this. PLEASE prove me not everything is in black and white. And it better not be one case where someone manipulated or lied or because of "memory" or some bullshit. That shit better have not caused some bullshit like this.

Good fucking lord.

Hundreds? What the fuck... how did NO ONE say anything?

Fuck him and all the people who kept it secret.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If I was going to interpret KRS there, I'd say he wants the art to remain unscathed from what's about to happen to the man. I can understand that, I like the art of a lot of horrible human beings and I get very conflicted about letting it stand on its own versus supporting a sicko.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KRS has been pretty squarely an idiot for the better part of the last two decades. Not surprised.

Exis

I considered myself of a fan of KRS and what Bambadaa did for music but with this they both can fuck right off.
Met KRS a number of years ago and it was a letdown.. so no real surprise.

Ivan 3414

If I was going to interpret KRS there, I'd say he wants the art to remain unscathed from what's about to happen to the man. I can understand that, I like the art of a lot of horrible human beings and I get very conflicted about letting it stand on its own versus supporting a sicko.

I think pretty much everyone understands what KRS is saying.

It doesn't matter.

Bambaataa shitted on his own legacy when he started touching boys. There's nothing anyone can say that can change the path he put himself on.

norm9

Was a big fan of KRS, and I understand what he's saying regarding separation of art/life, but damn.

Had this article by David Dennis over at Bossip float up my facebook wall yesterday.

Relevant passage:

KRS-One is the most famous man to speak up about the allegations against Donovan and his response was a troubling perpetuation of rape culture:
“For me, if you keep it hip-hop, nothing can be taken away from Afrika Bambaataa,” he said. “But if you want to dig into dude’s personal life and accusations that’s being made and so on, personally, I don’t give a f–k.”

“If somebody was harmed or whatever, y’all gotta deal with that s–t. That don’t stop what you did for hip-hop. It don’t take away none of it. History is history. But deal with that. That’s personal.”

In 30 seconds, KRS-One established why Black boys can’t find justice or peace when they’re sexually assaulted: “y’all gotta deal with that,” “deal with it,” “that’s personal.” And still beyond the accusations, hurting Black boys doesn’t take away from someone’s legacy. There needs to be a thousand Black men speaking up for these boys and against sexual assault for every idiotic KRS-One comment. There needs to be a united front of support and courage in facing sexual assault and the Black boys it victimizes. We as Black men need to be able to stand up and look other Black men in the eye and tell them that they can’t continue to victimize Black boys and girls. We have to do a better job at this. We’ve been silent too long in protecting Black women from sexual assault and haven’t even begun to adequately broach the topic of Black men who have had to live through sexual assault.

KRS does say plainly that it doesn't harm Bambaataa's contribution to hip hop in his mind, but a lot of this critique reads like someone who can't parse how black people speak or something?

"“If somebody was harmed or whatever, y’all gotta deal with that s–t. That don’t stop what you did for hip-hop. "

He's using "you" in both of these sentences. He's acknowledging what YOU (the accused rapists) did for hip hop and acknowledging that Y'ALL (accused rapists) have got to deal with the harm you've done to others.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Well that's fucked. Dude invited me to his afterparty years ago. It was pretty tame in retrospect.

DiscoJer

WHAT THE FUCK? Someone PLEASE post a good reason for this. PLEASE prove me not everything is in black and white. And it better not be one case where someone manipulated or lied or because of "memory" or some bullshit. That shit better have not caused some bullshit like this.

Eye witness testimony is extremely unreliable, especially so after years have passed. Especially when children are involved.

I guess people don't remember it now, but in the 80s and early 90s there was a Satanic Panic and one of the common things was children by abused at day care centers.

There were lots of trials and people went to jail...yet none of it happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse

Unfortunately, it's like the boy who cried wolf, fake cases tend to undermine real cases, which sadly sounds like is the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom