• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After BOTW, what do you want from Red Dead Redemption 2?

Falchion

I'd rather it borrow some concepts like the great open world design from Horizon rather than Zelda since Red Dead has never been about true exploration and is much more narrative / character driven.

I don't see how they are related OP, Breath of Wild is my top 5 favorite game of all time but I don't think it needs to have any effect on other open world games.

As for Red Dead Redemption 2 wish list, I wish you can shoot and cut the hang rope to stop executions like in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, or maybe 1 vs 2 dueling.

Aenima

More side activities. I found the previous RDR lacking in side activities. I kinda wish Rockstars got some inspiration from the Yakuza games in that aspect and introduced some job or business management side activity. I would be sweet to run a saloon, or a mining company.

Aside from all the outlaw stuff, i actually liked to see more side jobs like some of the old GTAs did.

Ploid 3.0

I do not want a cooking system in Red Dead or many open world games I play, what the heck guys? Don't ask for that, nor weapon degradation.

This is like one of those IGN articles: What Zelda could learn from Skyrim.

To be fair I think Breath of the Wild owes some of its refinements to Skyrim and Dark Souls, it's by no means a clone of either games but you can certainly see their DNA sprinkled within.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Like meaningful open world design, rewarding the player for breaking the boundaries and exploring using free flowing abilities and offering an almost infinite amount of possibilities and solutions. Having freedom behind the forefront of the structure and providing a feeling of discovery that seems lost in the majority of modern releases.

I don't think Red Dead needs to be as open as Zelda in story missions but Rockstar could certainly adopt a few traits when it comes to rewarding the player and variety in how you approach a scenario.

BotW isn't the only open world game that does those things. RDR is also very story driven so the priorities of the design will be different.

I do not want a cooking system in Red Dead or many open world games I play, what the heck guys? Don't ask for that, nor weapon degradation.

I think the cooking system is fine, I just wish it was a menu. You could cut 90% of the time it takes and lose basically nothing.

All open world games must now be compared to Zelda

Why not?

Take the physics engine in BOTW - the fire propagation and metal/weight physics are superb. RDR2 could benefit from those systems in a variety of ways. I'm not talking Magnesis, Cryonis and Stasis, but the realistic sandbox elements would offer more entertaining gameplay scenarios.

Wanna take out an enemy camp? Guns blazing approach, stealth or set the grass and trees on fire to either distract them, or kill them.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
All I want is a release date and for Rockstar Games to stick to it.

a916

Voice acting from NPCs... oh wait lol.

The only thing it should really take from Zelda is the same release year. Give me that 2017 release.

I'd rather it borrow some concepts like the great open world design from Horizon rather than Zelda since Red Dead has never been about true exploration and is much more narrative / character driven.
Yeah, Horizon is much closer to Red Dead than Zelda is, and it does its open world better too.

prwxv3

Some open world games do somethings better then BOTW. And and have a different focus then BOTW. It would be a bad idea for a story focused game to try to mirror BOTW.

inky

As for Red Dead Redemption 2 wish list, I wish you can shoot and cut the hang rope to stop executions like in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

You can do this in RDR. You can even dead eye mark ropes like enemies. And yes, it works in the side missions where people are being hanged or pulled around. That's how you stop them actually.

Hunting and then cooking the meat at a campfire or at a house for health and stat buffs wouldn't be fun and in-atmosphere in a Western-themed game to you?

Agreed on no weapon degradation.

Its a guy with zelda avatar want everything to be like zelda. I'm not surprised.

Yeah, I like Zelda and I changed my avatar because I was hyped about BOTW. I'll change my avatar to something Red Dead Redemption 2 related once it's closer to release.

What's your point?

overcast

When Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced I thought about them improving the rockstar formula and expanding more on what we saw in the first game. A narrative driven open world game that is perfectly set in a time/place.

That hasn't changed.

To me Breath of the Wild set a new bar for Open World game design and it would be a damn shame if games like Red Dead just ignored it. There are many things developers can learn from BotW but you can just shrug it off as Zelda fanboys being annoying if you want to.

RDR2 has more than likely been in development in some form since Redemption was released, and that was back in 2010. If the game is going to release this year as Rockstar is saying, then they've likely nailed down the general gameplay concepts by now and are just working to make sure everything is working as they should. Introducing major new gameplay ideas that they've learned from Zelda, or any other game at this point, could be a recipe for disaster.

Blobbers

I want a silent protagonist. Is it just me or do Rockstar Games protags often feel too well-written, to the point that it's off-putting?

As a huge Breath of the Wild fan I wish every open world game ever made feels nothing like Breath of the Wild.

The reason why I love Breath of the Wild so much, despite not a big fan of open world design and never played any Zelda game, is because of how unique it feels.
So please, let Breath of the Wild stay unique and different compare to other open world games. Let Assassin's Creed's open world continue to be uninspired, bland and boring.
Breath of the Wild is the king of open world games and it should stay that way.

U-R

Edit: sarcastic joke removed to respect the thread.

I don't think they should really pick anything from Zelda, totally different games.

I just quickly deleted a bunch of thread-whining posts. It was done in haste, so my apologies if you thought your post was fairly on topic and got swept away. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the general conclusions of the thread's premise and arguing that RDR should remain its own distinct game. However, please argue that in a way that doesn't just come across as whining because you're sick and tired of hearing about Zelda.

Why are people acting like Zelda created physics in video games, lol. Fire propagation was introduced as far back as Far Cry 2.

Rockstar should just make the sequel however they want, because they've been crafting open worlds for ages now. Look at GTA V's sales.

jayu26

I want a silent protagonist. Is it just me or do Rockstar Games protags often feel too well-written, to the point that it's off-putting?

You are just fishing of a tag with this comment aren't you. And no, not all Rockstar's characters are well written.

Love how everyone was like ewww Horizon is being compared with everything...but then Zelda comes out.

Hope RD2 has a lot more to do in the world and keeps me wanting to come back.

Better Graphics than BOTW....
Going from Horizon 4K to BOTW was extremely jarring and the gameplay/mechanics were barely enough to compensate.

joshcam19

For it to be its own thing. Zelda's great and all but it's getting a fair amount of praise for doing things that other open worlds have been doing for a while, which is fine, it's new for a Zelda game and that's exciting. But hopefully RDR2 builds on the great foundation of the last game and takes it in new an exciting ways.

I think Rockstar is going to lean into online on a larger scale then ever before and do Western Destiny rather then a traditional Rockstar thing.

Top Bottom