• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After BOTW, what do you want from Red Dead Redemption 2?

Hindl

Why not?

Take the physics engine in BOTW - the fire propagation and metal/weight physics are superb. RDR2 could benefit from those systems in a variety of ways. I'm not talking Magnesis, Cryonis and Stasis, but the realistic sandbox elements would offer more entertaining gameplay scenarios.

Wanna take out an enemy camp? Guns blazing approach, stealth or set the grass and trees on fire to either distract them, or kill them.

Because different games go for different goals. Putting a physics (and "chemistry") engine in an open world like Zelda will inevitably come at the expense of other aspects of the game. Zelda is a game that focuses on exploration, experimentation, and emergent narratives. For a more narrative-focused game like Red Dead, this doesn't make sense. Would it be cool if Red Dead had the extensive physics engine of Zelda? Sure, but I'm not sure it would benefit it that much. All of that stuff is tied into the design of the world itself. I don't think just taking the physics engine and putting it into other open world games necessarily makes them better. It's a different type of open world game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why are people acting like Zelda created physics in video games, lol. Fire propagation was introduced as far back as Far Cry 2.

Rockstar should just make the sequel however they want, because they've been crafting open worlds for ages now. Look at GTA V's sales.

Far Cry 2 wasnt made by Nintendo and filled with heart and soul and love and whatever intangible bullshit people are attributing to their games today.

marrec

Banned
I didn't much enjoy RDR because I was fully invested in hating open world games by the time it came out and the world of RDR didn't do much to convince me that open world games were worth my time.

So after having put 70+ hours into BOTW and loving every bit of it, there's certainly a few things that a game like RDR can do to improve at least my preception of it.

However, many of the things that I enjoy in BOTW simply wouldn't work in a game about cowboys shooting other cowboys on horses. So... I dunno. What I want from RDR is a fun cowboy game, something that I've yet to get from any game. I doubt they're going to change up the formula much because of Zelda.

Would be nice to have a paraglider tho

Why not?

Take the physics engine in BOTW - the fire propagation and metal/weight physics are superb. RDR2 could benefit from those systems in a variety of ways. I'm not talking Magnesis, Cryonis and Stasis, but the realistic sandbox elements would offer more entertaining gameplay scenarios.

Wanna take out an enemy camp? Guns blazing approach, stealth or set the grass and trees on fire to either distract them, or kill them.

Realistic scenario? You realize setting grass and trees on fire in the real world doesnt happen like what takes place in Zelda right?. Is Marston going to ride around the plains dragging gallons of gas around so he can start a quick massive flame or is he going to start a small fire then wait around for hours for it to spread to something someone would give a rats ass about.

Zelda is based on fantasy/magic. Marston is limited to what you can do with a gun, knife, and probably dynamite.

And furthermore I'm pretty sure Fallout 4 had a cooking system for numerous abilities. Is BOTW going to get credit for systems that were prevalent in other games beforehand?

Like meaningful open world design, rewarding the player for breaking the boundaries and exploring using free flowing abilities and offering an almost infinite amount of possibilities and solutions. Having freedom behind the forefront of the structure and providing a feeling of discovery that seems lost in the majority of modern releases.

I don't think Red Dead needs to be as open as Zelda in story missions but Rockstar could certainly adopt a few traits when it comes to rewarding the player and variety in how you approach a scenario.

Rockstar made an amazing world to be in in their own way. If we add cooking, then that means we're going to have inventory management and hunting for resources. I don't want that kind of busy work. Not every game needs it. Breath of the Wild is a fantastic game but it has its own systems that work for what it's trying to do. Not every game needs to be that way

Ploid 3.0

I think the cooking system is fine, I just wish it was a menu. You could cut 90% of the time it takes and lose basically nothing.

So something like a system RDR already used (skinning and unlocking gear with skins from what I remember)? I don't want to have to go all FFXIV, while the food looked pretty I wouldn't want to think, "There are the Johnson gang, dagnabbit I need to cook something before I take them on. Where is a camp? (opens map) Hmm if I take this route to grab the new faster horse I bred, feed it some expensive food I hand crafted for speed and endurance, I can get to that camp in about 10 minutes, and the Johnsons will probably still be there." (24 minutes later) "Ok let's do this, oh I gotta pee... Ok let's go, though Sally May may be wondering about me. I hope I don't lose social points with her and the rest of my family and friends. I should have payed them a visit before I left. Oh no my energy is getting low too. When I'm done with the Johnsons I'm so buying a better quality bed at Wools And Baths. Anyway.."

(Sand storm rolls in)

Unable to fight without protective eye wear.

; ;

For it to be its own thing. Zelda's great and all but it's getting a fair amount of praise for doing things that other open worlds have been doing for a while, which is fine, it's new for a Zelda game and that's exciting. But hopefully RDR2 builds on the great foundation of the last game and takes it in new an exciting ways.

I'm not saying that RDR2 should copy everything from BOTW, I just mean there's elements in it that immersed me further and made me think "I hope something like this is in Red Dead Redemption 2". Things like The cooking system - in the original Red Dead Redemption, you could hunt and then sell the meat and pelts for money. That should still remain, but I think you should also be able to cook the meats, etc. while out exploring or doing quests. After all, the wild west was also about exploration - looking for gold and treasure and things like that as well as it being a brutal time period.

Pinkish Phoenix

Neo Member
As a huge Breath of the Wild fan I wish every open world game ever made feels nothing like Breath of the Wild.

The reason why I love Breath of the Wild so much, despite not a big fan of open world design and never played any Zelda game, is because of how unique it feels.
So please, let Breath of the Wild stay unique and different compare to other open world games. Let Assassin's Creed's open world continue to be uninspired, bland and boring.
Breath of the Wild is the king of open world games and it should stay that way.

This has to be one of the most ignorant things I have heard. "I hope no game is as good as this one. It should just all be downhill from here, that's what I want"

inky

Why are people acting like Zelda created physics in video games, lol. Fire propagation was introduced as far back as Far Cry 2.

Rockstar should just make the sequel however they want, because they've been crafting open worlds for ages now. Look at GTA V's sales.

People should start "suggesting" Nintendo games should have natural motion character physics like Rockstar games do. Let's see how that goes...

marrec

Banned
I'm not saying that RDR2 should copy everything from BOTW, I just mean there's elements in it that immersed me further and made me think "I hope something like this is in Red Dead Redemption 2". Things like The cooking system - in the original Red Dead Redemption, you could hunt and then sell the meat and pelts for money. That should still remain, but I think you should also be able to cook the meats, etc. while out exploring or doing quests. After all, the wild west was also about exploration - looking for gold and treasure and things like that as well as it being a brutal time period.

The cooking system wouldn't fix the shallow world design of RDR.

I'm afraid we're going to get more of the same AAA open world design aesthetics and less innovation... but I legit don't know what you can do to make an open world cowboy game interesting to ride a horse in.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
I hope RDR2 keeps the really satisfying horse riding controls from the first game; took a while for me to get the hang of, but when I did it just felt soooo gooood. Also being able to tie up anyone I would like, that was one of my favorite things to do in RDR lol.

And in terms if BOTW... I guess complex environmental interaction and some decent climbing? Otherwise, I would be fine without either of those.

I honestly feel like Horizon would be a far more apt comparison to RDR2. Would definitely love to see more gorgeous and varied landscapes, engaging battles, as well as tight general controls.

Daknight

As much as I love BOTW...I don't think every game needs to follow it's formula to a fault. I love RDR one and I hope 2 improves on that game. I still do think it could take some cues from BOTW in term of weather mostly (not in the thunderstorm lighting hitting you if you have metal kind though). Instead, rain makes firing a bit more difficult cause of visibility (and maybe gun failure during rain, not it breaking, just a bullet not coming out once or something), needing to find shelter or fear getting 'sick' kind of thing that would fit more in term of RDR realisim.

I don't think every protagonist should climb every surface now. Not everyone in real life can climb, so makes sense not everyone in a game can climb.

xviper

i want them not to fuck up the MP like they did with GTA V

GTA IV and RDR MP were simple yet amazing, fun, unique and addicting as hell

StarVigil

I feel like it's a bit insulting to the devs of rockstar to go and say, hey, why don't you make your next game more like Zelda!
It also contradicts the whole "all games feel samey" argument. Just remember the brown filter across every shooter last gen.
Another point is, GTAV sold like a billion copies - for a good reason.
So what Rockstar should take away from Zelda is to continue working hard on their vision and not try to jump the bandwagon of whatever is popular right now.

Realistic scenario? You realize setting grass and trees on fire in the real world doesnt happen like what takes place in Zelda right?. Is Marston going to ride around the plains dragging gallons of gas around so he can start a quick massive flame or is he going to start a small fire then wait around for hours for it to spread to something someone would give a rats ass about.

...or a cigarette/cigar

UrbanRats

There's not that much RDR can take from Zelda, as the tone of the two games is pretty far apart, and Zelda is VERY playful with its mechanics, be it applied to weapon breaking, or the extensive use of physics and gadgets to "play around" with enemies, in comedic ways.

One thing i wish they'd take (and that it's already confirmed they won't, lol) is the geography and how spaced out things are in Zelda, it makes a valley feel like a valley, and a canyon feel like a canyon.
The mount Chilliad in GTAV is comical compared to the tallest mountains in Zelda, when it comes to scale.

Going around in RDR always felt like being in a big Hollywood set, western themed.
Things were comically close together and dwarfed to match the world's size.

The map of the game leaked though, and it's roughly the size of RDR 1's, so that ain't happening.

Failing that, then, i just wish they'll do something more than "shoot enemy waves" design of missions they had in RDR 1, past the first couple of hours.
GTAV was good with this though.

Thing is, R* are still king in some aspects of open world design (and certainly in sales) but they got passed over by games like Zelda and MGSV, when it comes to playing to the open world's design strengths, of allowing (let alone encouraging) creative thinking.
GTAV had very varied missions, but they still adhered to their very rigid design principle of them being self contained mini set pieces, that happen to take place in an open world map.

I'd like Rockstar to embrace flexibility and role playing in its scenario design. If they expand the potential of the role playing systems of RDR1, it'll set it apart from other games quite easily I feel.

I want it to be more like the witcher 3 in terms of sceneries, rdr was so boring to look at I didn't even bother to finish. And from the trailer, it looks like the landscapes will be much more enjoyable this time. Also I want a good looking protagonist and pc version.

spekkeh

Banned
The thing I hate most about Rockstar games is the linear plodding mess of what they call a story where you're getting endlessly strung along, dictated by the game where to go next. More autonomy in choosing parts of the story would be welcome here, also including a fast track option towards the end if you're done with the game prematurely. This simultaneously solves the problem of some R* games that you set out to explore and find a town, but nothing except some mini games can be done because the story hasn't progressed to the point where things spawn in the town. If I discover a locale I want to be rewarded with story, not emptiness or the same mini games as before.

Another thing is that after BotW obviously no open world game should exist here on out where the world is just a pretty backdrop, and not an integral part of the gameplay. The direction you enter a town should be important, the prairie should give you different abilities than a forest, etc. But it's not necessarily that RDR should take a leaf out of Zelda here, R* should know very well how to do sandbox.

The cooking system wouldn't fix the shallow world design of RDR.

I'm afraid we're going to get more of the same AAA open world design aesthetics and less innovation... but I legit don't know what you can do to make an open world cowboy game interesting to ride a horse in.

"Shallow"

giphy.gif

Iorv3th

The same thing I wanted before BoTW. A sequel to RDR. I don't think zelda has anything it can offer RDR2.

RDR was already such a masterpiece of a game and right now it's a little late for them to go implement things from Zelda if the game is coming out later this year anyway.

Why do I need to store horses in Red Dead? Just because something is ok for one game doesn't mean it would be great in others.

So you can level up your affinity for them and buy them different saddles and name them... duh.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why do I need to store horses in Red Dead? Just because something is ok for one game doesn't mean it would be great in others.

FZZ

Banned
I wanna see Link as a trapper

Seeing Koroks bump March Madness would be dope af

Red Dead doing it's own thing, I just want an amazing game fam

The map of the game leaked though, and it's roughly the size of RDR 1's, so that ain't happening.

Wait, what?

When did this happen?

I agree about the scale of RDR - I don't mind riding for 5+ minutes to get somewhere - it feels realistic to do things like that and it further draws me into the game world.

Tambini

Nothing to do with BOTW but better missions than ride somewhere talking to whoever, shoot something, ride back. The missions in RDR are just bad. Oh and more likeable side characters.

RDR was the original open world refresher for me with the random encounters so i hope they just develop that further and not have a Mexico like drop in quality of the narrative happen; just got really boring and impersonal.
The real killer mentioned a lot that I agree with- please improve the second and third acts over past efforts. RDR and GTA4 really dropped like rocks, haven't played Max Payne 3 or GTAV.

The cooking ingredients to me are a better system than the pelts and trophies RDR introduced, but not every game requires such layers. It's more the fact that every ingredient has a tangible use that's actually useful that make it so endearing imo

The thing I hate most about Rockstar games is the linear plodding mess of what they call a story where you're getting endlessly strung along, dictated by the game where to go next. More autonomy in choosing parts of the story would be welcome here, also including a fast track option towards the end if you're done with the game prematurely. This simultaneously solves the problem of some R* games that you set out to explore and find a town, but nothing except some mini games can be done because the story hasn't progressed to the point where things spawn in the town. If I discover a locale I want to be rewarded with story, not emptiness or the same mini games as before.

Another thing is that after BotW obviously no open world game should exist here on out where the world is just a pretty backdrop, and not an integral part of the gameplay. The direction you enter a town should be important, the prairie should give you different abilities than a forest, etc. But it's not necessarily that RDR should take a lead out of Zelda here, R* should know very well how to do sandbox.

Very well said :)

atr0cious

I think Rockstar is going to lean into online on a larger scale then ever before and do Western Destiny rather then a traditional Rockstar thing.
I would not be mad at this. Having the towns in online mean something other than lobbies to run through and more role playish would be awesome. Wanna stroll into a saloon and start a gun fight over a bad hand of cards.

marrec

Banned
I want something that's nothing like Zelda and a lot like RDR.

Goofy cowboy game with fuckable sharkboys and anime sweatdrops where you freeclimb everywhere in a Guns N' Roses bandana and there's no need for horses.

10/10 good shit

Rockstar doesn't play ninty games and that's a good thing.

This is my favorite post in the thread. The studio behind Red Dead Redemption has developed games for Nintendo, directly. Like, Nintendo funded these games and published them. They were full-blown, first party releases.

Yeah, I'm sure they these guys have no interest in Nintendo's games. lol

Formless

I want more of a Red Dead Revolver feel (maybe multiple characters, more spaghetti western style).

Stuff that RDR could realistically take from BOTW (e.g. it doesn't necessarily need all the physics based puzzles):
- Fire propagation
- Quests that don't just have markers
- A more distinctive landmark filled world that is easily navigable with a map

I'd like a Rockstar game with gameplay that's fun enough to keep me playing to the end of the game.

I'm sure it will just be another open world game with tons of money poured into world detail, and the same old gameplay though. Probably more multiplayer-focused than GTAV.

Top Bottom