• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After BOTW, what do you want from Red Dead Redemption 2?

More side activities. I found the previous RDR lacking in side activities. I kinda wish Rockstars got some inspiration from the Yakuza games in that aspect and introduced some job or business management side activity. I would be sweet to run a saloon, or a mining company.

Aside from all the outlaw stuff, i actually liked to see more side jobs like some of the old GTAs did.
Exactly this. Also the game is much more comparable to Yakuza than BotW, as both RDR and Yakuza are primarily story-driven.
Just let me do a variety of side activities to make the game world feel more alive and meaningful. Also it adds a lot of atmosphere.

I would also appreciate if they'd get rid of that stupid auto-healing in RDR2, was a total atmosphere killer for me in the first entry. Make me replenish health by consuming food, either by dining in a saloon, cooking it by a campfire or by purchasing it at a store (like beef jerky or cans of baked beans).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
"After BOTW, what do you want from Read Dead Redemption 2?"

1) The ability to place bookmarks at will

2) Unlimited page flips

3) No microtransactions/DLC to unlock new chapters - give me the full tale available from the beginning.

4) A good story

5) LeVar Burton

Damn I am crying ....

Guess a knock off RDR 2 is on its way folks.

However, I want whats in this post.

Wensih

Better hunting quests and more dynamic animal A.I. would be great. BotW borrowed and improved upon what RDR did, and I'd like to see them up that with current technology.

Also likeable side characters who aren't the biggest fucks in western history

Definitely, the disappearing animals of BotW was an excellent evolution of wildlife in games.

RootCause

When it comes to unscripted events, there's no one that does it better than rockstar. The things they could improve on, would be the characters. I don't think I've ever liked one, and the anti hero thing is played out in their games.

Branching paths would be nice too.
Don't feel they need to learn from Nintendo. Maybe no intro missions that no one likes?

valkyre

Red Dead Redemption... Zelda... I guess I must suck at videogames not to make any short of connection between the two...I guess they are both open world so naturally they have to share stuff...

so...

what i want?

i dont know...

A princess maybe??

Am I doing it right GAF?

I want a story that treats me like the intelligent adult that I am. When I finish the game, I want to reflect on the past 30-40 hours I spent in that game for years to come.

I think Rockstar knows what they are doing. GTA5 only sold 70 million copies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'd rather see rockstar do what they do best and make an awesome open world game as they did with gta5

Kin5290

Female protagonist. Narrative and character focus. More things to do in the game world, using game systems (instead of pure mini games).

I'd rather RDR2 take cues from Horizon than from Zelda, however.

Markoman

Female protagonist. Narrative and character focus. More things to do in the game world, using game systems (instead of pure mini games).

..only if there's more than one playable character. I do love me some female leads but it's getting a little overused atm: Kat, Aloy, 2B, Link

Yes, to your second point.

Female protagonist would be incredible actually considering roles women had during that time period.

Nobody in the business does open world like Rockstar and now they, somehow, need to look up to other games for ideas?
I thought so too until I played breath of the wild. It's better than anything rockstar has done imo. I can encapsulate the difference and why Zelda is superior in three points. 1) Captures the living breathing world aspect. So many systems interplay with each other. Every other open world feels dull in comparison. 2) It's nonlinear. You can approach the game so many different ways. Rockstar games are pretty much linear to advance the plot. 3) Its intelligent puzzle design adds a layer of depth not seen in any other open world. Other games seem brain dead in comparison.

martino

Nothing from a game going realism ... What i want is others open world not going realism where world design serve the game like zelda and where things are not done the other way (dumb mechanics , zone and everything must be shown on minimap because we go realism)

kubev

I don't see why BotW should influence RDR2 much, if at all. They're completely different types of open-world games.

Markoman

No, you say that female leads are over used. This has never been said ever about men, but then you name 3 characters as if that compares to the console generations of male leads. Just really lame complaint.

Relax, I'm just saying I don't feel the necessity to have another female lead this year in the next huge AAA game. If there's a well-written female character that works with Rockstar's vision for RDR2, go for it. Or better...give us options. I would prefer a male native American tho.

I adore Kat, 2B and Aloy oh and Chloe later this year, but playing those games in quick succession makes me want a well-written male char for a little variety, too.

ftkTUvJvmdfHP3qWM7Px8B.png

This is from the RDR2 trailer.

Campfire cooking perhaps?

dreamfall

I thought so too until I played breath of the wild. It's better than anything rockstar has done imo. I can encapsulate the difference and why Zelda is superior in three points. 1) Captures the living breathing world aspect. So many systems interplay with each other. Every other open world feels dull in comparison. 2) It's nonlinear. You can approach the game so many different ways. Rockstar games are pretty much linear to advance the plot. 3) Its intelligent puzzle design adds a layer of depth not seen in any other open world. Other games seem brain dead in comparison.

The thing is, I agree with you on a lot. The living breathing world aspect of Breath of the Wild is really it's strong suit - that feeling that you can go anywhere and explore makes it feel like a grand adventure. A lot of how I felt during the first fifty or so hours of Skyrim, or Far Cry 2. I think Rockstar's open world design has very different goals than these titles. Exploration in RDR or GTA IV/V isn't to go find new supplies or weapons, the majority of the time it's a backdrop to support the narrative. Hunting challenges, outfit collection, clearing bandit camps - these are all side activities for a reason.

I've never understood why linearity in an open world title is so frowned upon. I think the perception is that the linear set piece missions in an open world would be better served in a smaller, linear and focused game with better polish. And this can be true, but what's wrong with story mission markers to advance progress in a more traditional design? What if those missions take advantage of the endless possibilities of approach in a greater space to make the linearity of the design better? Three Leaf Clover in GTA IV is probably one of the best examples - with a broader backdrop of Liberty City, somehow they've incorporated a mission setpiece that is linear in design - maybe rigidly so. But to me, it felt like such a standout moment because they've incorporated a more advanced story mission within an open world title. I think one day, I'd like to make a thread of open world titles that have the best story missions - in how they really adjust your expectation of what can be achieved alongside an open world that isn't just used for window dressing for a story.

To the last point, good puzzle designs in an open world title are difficult to find. I love the shrines in BotW, it's a nice change of pace and you never know what kind of puzzle solving you'll be doing. There's a sense of reward (albeit gradual) in knowing that upon completion, your Link is getting stronger. But I think the smaller puzzles in large quantity with a similar aesthetic is not what most dungeon loving Zelda fans wanted. And I don't expect this in RDR2 or any Rockstar game to be frank. I'd rather that pieces of the open world be used in interesting ways that benefit the narrative tone. Or, if there is an equivalent- like maybe the tomb puzzles in Assassin's Creed titles, that it won't exist in a set of rooms by itself- away from the open world.

atr0cious

Relax, I'm just saying I don't feel the necessity to have another female lead this year in the next huge AAA game. If there's a well-written female character that works with Rockstar's vision for RDR2, go for it. Or better...give us options. I would prefer a male native American tho.

I adore Kat, 2B and Aloy oh and Chloe later this year, but playing those games in quick succession makes me want a well-written male char for a little variety, too.
I'm sorry but that's a dumb opinion. And gtav had some of the most banal writing in the franchise, so the well written crap is a cop out. For every female lead you can name, I can name a franchise named after the male lead. There will never be enough female representation, at least not for awhile. Especially in Rockstars case where most women are objects to fight over and use or backstab the male lead.

My gripe with RDR, which actually prevented me from completing the game, is that there was no way around shooting 50 people every 30 minutes without nothing of substance happening gameplay-wise in between shootouts. I remember getting very good vibes during the early mission in which you've got to prevent the herd from jumping off the cliff during the thunderstorm. And that was it... the only objective not including killing people. I guess I don't care for R* games.

Why do we live in this weird world where BOTW should have any influence on RDR??

Um.. I want revolvers that break after firing three bullets and an ugly stamina circle.

Oh, and terrible textures.

Reckheim

Two very different open world games, if you're implying RDR should have cooking and other RPG stuff in it I strongly disagree.

Ploid 3.0

Zelda made me dislike alot of open world games i used to like.

The climbing,freedom and paragliding is such a game changer.

It forever has changed my idea about open world games.
Every open world game from now on will be compared to zelda

Just Cause 2 made me look at open world games different when it came to travel, and the ability to just zip to whatever height I wanted. Parachute glide + the grapple hook made for some incredible combos, especially since I could attack while grapple gliding.

I watched Zelda footage, and the climbing is slow, and SOTC like with the grip meter. In SOTC it was limited to get to the next resting spot, and made it more challenging to climb the beasts, so I can understand trying to figure out how to climb a mountain before grip run out, but if games wanted to let people climb anywhere they wanted to, I'd rather they look to Just Cause 2. I wish more games had the hook + glide mechanic.

Oh also the tether mechanic. Horizon has it sort of and that's pretty cool. More of that, makes for some fun stuff.

Saints Row 4 is the ultimate in open world travel go where you want freedom. Super powers > Just Cause's grapple and glide, but I still like Just Cause's glide + hook while raining down bullets from above.

That said, I don't think every open world game should be like JC2 or Saints Row 4. We need street level open world games, to complement the Avengers super powers go anywhere features. Though, imagine riding on top of planes into the clouds in RDR then flying down to the earth.

Markoman

I'm sorry but that's a dumb opinion. And gtav had some of the most banal writing in the franchise, so the well written crap is a cop out. For every female lead you can name, I can name a franchise named after the male lead. There will never be enough female representation, at least not for awhile. Especially in Rockstars case where most women are objects to fight over and use or backstab the male lead.

I agree with the bolded.
But do you think Rockstar can get a female lead right, when they don't even get the males right? In a Western setting?

And pls don't even try shoving me into a certain corner here. This is just a personal opinion, which I won't even fight about, because at the end of the day, this is not even a big deal for me.
Like I've said...let them do 3 characters, one female lead...perfect.

I've played them both and they are so different I'm not sure I can see how BotW can influence RDR.

One is about exploring a world and the mechanics you can use to interact with it, the other is a realistically grounded cowboy drama.

Just Cause 2 made me look at open world games different when it came to travel, and the ability to just zip to whatever height I wanted. Parachute glide + the grapple hook made for some incredible combos, especially since I could attack while grapple gliding.

I watched Zelda footage, and the climbing is slow, and SOTC like with the grip meter. In SOTC it was limited to get to the next resting spot, and made it more challenging to climb the beasts, so I can understand trying to figure out how to climb a mountain before grip run out, but if games wanted to let people climb anywhere they wanted to, I'd rather they look to Just Cause 2. I wish more games had the hook + glide mechanic.

Oh also the tether mechanic. Horizon has it sort of and that's pretty cool. More of that, makes for some fun stuff.

Saints Row 4 is the ultimate in open world travel go where you want freedom. Super powers > Just Cause's grapple and glide, but I still like Just Cause's glide + hook while raining down bullets from above.

Off topic but this did make me wonder how many fans praising Zelda for its freedom played Just Cause 2. That game as all about the freedom to do what you want when you want.

Why do we live in this weird world where BOTW should have any influence on RDR??

Um.. I want revolvers that break after firing three bullets and an ugly stamina circle.

Oh, and terrible textures.

Thats really not the point of this thread.

I think that elements of BOTW would benefit RDR2. The survival and cooking systems, the wildlife and NPC interaction and A.I., etc.

Ploid 3.0

Off topic but this did make me wonder how many fans praising Zelda for its freedom played Just Cause 2. That game as all about the freedom to do what you want when you want.

I can understand people that are only interested in games because of Nintendo's style/IPs. When I find a game mechanic I like I search for other games that are like it, and maybe they are looking for more games that has the things they just discovered. The thing that gets annoying is when people seem to think Nintendo creates everything.

Still looking for games that have Beastmaster mechanics on par with Final Fantasy XI's. I was looking forward to that animal controlling game, The Wild or something.

bidguy

Banned
half of the replies would totally destroy anything good about rdr

cooking ? bartending ? get the fuck outta here

Reckheim

I think that elements of BOTW would benefit RDR2. The survival and cooking systems, the wildlife and NPC interaction and A.I., etc.

And many people in this thread don't think that at all. The games are different and try to accomplish something completely different. Besides the open world they are nothing like each other.

'After BOTW, what do you want from Just Cause 4?' would be a much better thread.

Ploid 3.0

There should be a horse.

I was actually going to post this. And, get this, what if you could catch them yourself? Oh man, the possibilities! /sarcasm

Edit: Just found out you can catch horses in Zelda. So I'm going to make sure people know I was being sarcastic above. You could also catch horses in RDR. IIRC you actually lasso the horse, I'll look this up, it's been a while. Yep, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcCFPRJZMXc

Maybe Zelda BOTW 2 can add lassos? Or Tethers like JC2 and Horizon.
https://youtu.be/g__5_9kX8KI?t=132 (Catching a horse in Zelda)

Markoman

Er, all the points you've mentioned... I wouldn't give any credit to BotW.

Wildlife: RDR was one of the first games with believable wildlife.
Survival: What survial in BotW? You don't have to sleep or eat to survive. Clothing for different zones, ok. I don't see more honestly.
Cooking: if cooking means adding inventory management, no I don't want that and I don't think this is a milestone of gaming development. It's a very gamey system that works with BotW which some people like and some people don't.
NPC interaction:eek:w random encounters were introduced in RDR and RG became the masters of well-written fully voiced dialog. BotW adds nothing to that.
AI: yeah, sucks in Rockstar's games, but the AI in BotW is a little overhyped. Enemies in camps return after short pursuing phase and act like nothing happened. You can run past most of the enemies. Guardians are good, tho.

Speaking for myself (obviously, I mean who else would I be speaking for?) I think BOTW is a genrechanger and going to be really, really hard to follow. The more I play it the more awed I am by how they stuck the landing. My worry is that RDR2 or the next Elder Scrolls or next Witcher or whatever will feel stale by comparison unless those teams are really taking their games apart and rethinking everything from the ground up.

But to answer directly: I don't know what I want specifically from RDR2, other than nonspecific "freshness".

atr0cious

I agree with the bolded.
But do you think Rockstar can get a female lead right, when they don't even get the males right? In a Western setting?

And pls don't even try shoving me into a certain corner here. This is just a personal opinion, which I won't even fight about, because at the end of the day, this is not even a big deal for me.
Like I've said...let them do 3 characters, one female lead...perfect.
So they just shouldn't try right? Strong female characters in westerns are kind of a thing already, so it's not like they'd be pioneering the idea. And they can do what they want, this whole chain started when you said there was enough female leads for the year, when it's fucking March.

Top Bottom