• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After BOTW, what do you want from Red Dead Redemption 2?

I agree with the bolded.
But do you think Rockstar can get a female lead right, when they don't even get the males right? In a Western setting?

I would've totally been right there with you on this thought, pre-BOTW. But pre-BOTW I thought there was no way Nintendo could change their Zelda course so dramatically and successfully in one try - so now, I expect more. Rockstar probably wouldn't get a female lead right, but they absolutely COULD, if they really had the will to.

Hahs

Every developer since 1986 has.
Perhaps, until they figured things out for themselves..a long, long time ago, but to answer your initial question:

More than one protagonist​ (a female protag would be nice). I'd love to see a diverse open-world like GTA Online, running business, doing jobs, robbing banks/trains/stagecoaches, and last but not least..the time-frame - mid 19th century (further back than Marston's timeline, but possibly intersecting his early years (a cameo).

Actually, I think cooking would be pretty neat in RDR 2. RDR allowed the player to create their own camp. So being able to cook while out in the wild is really cool. Especially since Rockstar would make it look far more realistic with great animation that what's in BotW. RDR 2 will be made with consoles that have 5GB of ram so I'm expecting great stuff. Too bad about the CPUs though.

Lothars

More than one protagonist​ (a female protag would be nice). I'd love to see a diverse open-world like GTA Online, running business, doing jobs, robbing banks/trains/stagecoaches, and last but not least..the time-frame - mid 19th century (further back than Marston's timeline, but possibly intersecting his early years (a cameo).
Agreed with all of this. I don't think there's really anything they can take from BOTW when to me Rockstar has some of the best open worlds around.

Ploid 3.0

Please, don't use GTA 4 (hisses as he turn away from the screen in anguish). That game nearly soured the taste of the GTA series for me. Thank goodness GTA 5 is ok, but what the heck at GTA online and the way they treated it with constant discouragement of creative playing around launch (no idea how it is these days and on PC. It was a pain on PS3 with constant nerfs and opposite quality of life patches).

Markoman

I would've totally been right there with you on this thought, pre-BOTW. But pre-BOTW I thought there was no way Nintendo could change their Zelda course so dramatically and successfully in one try - so now, I expect more. Rockstar probably wouldn't get a female lead right, but they absolutely COULD, if they really had the will to.

People, don't get me wrong. I think they've missed that opportunity with their last games.
Who will turn heads if RG goes this route now? They are Lttp. Hell, with no robos around Horizon kinda already feels like RDR with a female protagonist at times.

Ploid 3.0

Horse strafing.

I didn't know what that was so I googled it. Seems like the first youtube video is MGSV, so Nintendo didn't invent that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjrnNHp1hAE

And right after I read that thread about MGSV and Zelda.

Edit: Upon further investigation I see a actual Zelda video where the horse moves constantly in strafe and not the MGSV dodge like strafe. So, is it really the first game to do this?

Why does everyone bring up cooking for Red Dead lol. With what resources? Cooking would end up being shit you find at camps, not resource gathering.

I want RDR2 to be good without Leslie Benzies. I also want it to not get woefully boring a third of the way through like Mexico was in the first game.

tesqui

I want a world that I can remember. BOTW was the first open world to do this for me and I hope RDR2 can do the same.

Why does everyone bring up cooking for Red Dead lol. With what resources? Cooking would end up being shit you find at camps, not resource gathering.

Meat you acquire from hunting/fishing/trapping or buy from a butcher, ingredients from the wilderness or procured from a grocer/general store, having a "camp-kit" to make the fire with and it comes with the tools needed to cook and eat. Also it would include the necessary kit for sleeping.

They could even have different levels of these camp-kits, like a cheap one that just gives you the basic no-frills approach, or a really deluxe one that allows you to cook better meals and have a better place to sleep.

Kimawolf

No walls anywhere like BotW. A truly living world with enemies which do their own thing regardless of you. Hell i watched some enemies actually get on horse back and hunt boar for food i guess.

Just stuff like that.

Also everything needs physics. Trees should be cut, grass, water, everything. How fire spread and played in this game is amazing as well.

Ploid 3.0

Sitting around fishing would just make it easier for a cougar or bear to blindside you. Will there be pets to follow and alert you or something? Do we need to feed them as well? This just seem like a way to slow the game down. A game about shooting people, action, plot, and dressing up (I kid). Maybe you fish in the safety of towns, go to a bar for food already made, buying it with the furs you got from dead cougars and bears that tested you. Want higher quality food (for health, or dead eye recharge?) buy more expensive dishes I guess.

No walls anywhere like BotW. A truly living world with enemies which do their own thing regardless of you. Hell i watched some enemies actually get on horse back and hunt boar for food i guess.

Just stuff like that.

Also everything needs physics. Trees should be cut, grass, water, everything. How fire spread and played in this game is amazing as well.

This.

Thank you for understanding what I meant in the OP.

Some people in here think that I want Red Dead Redemption 2 to be an exact copy of Breath Of The Wild, just with a cowboy as the main character. I was referring to the many systems in the world itself - that aspects of it could benefit any open world game if imitated or expanded upon.

Solo

I hate minigames in pretty much every game except RDR. I'm hoping they are brought back (gimme dat five finger fillet) and expanded/added to.

Just stuff like that.

Physics are easier said then done. RDR2 might be aiming to do something else that requires CPU power. I'm pretty sure devs always wanted to do something with world physics.

Ploid 3.0

This.

Thank you for understanding what I meant in the OP.

Some people in here think that I want Red Dead Redemption 2 to be an exact copy of Breath Of The Wild, just with a cowboy as the main character. I was referring to the many systems in the world itself - that aspects of it could benefit any open world game if imitated or expanded upon.

There will be walls, well unless the next cowboy/girl partake in rock climbing, parkour, and sailing to the ends of nowhere (GTA3 games). GTA5 have no invisible walls I can think of, but the characters have access to many aircraft.

I'm not sure, but do predator animals attack prey in RDR? They sure do in Dragon Age Inquisition and if they didn't you can be sure they will in RDR. RDR was interesting in that it was a mainstream game where you could kill animals. People didn't expect Rockstar to risk allowing that, and now they are even in GTA 5. Expect people to have their own fights excluding you. They have been doing that for a while now in Rock Star games.

TyrantII

RDR is going to have a tough time upstaging Guerillas HZD IMO. Rockstar really needs to invest in better mission scripting and story writing.

HZD gave us a glimpse of what a current gen RDR can pull off both thematically and technologically, but I'm really turned off that rockstar hasn't pulled the rest of their design forward since Vice City IMO.

More Witcher, HZD, Bethseda type missions. Less clear the castle and car chase #1999.

I want my six shooters to break after four bullets.

Kidding. Would like to see more exploration of the map in.rdr for more reasons beyond hunting.

leng jai

As a huge Breath of the Wild fan I wish every open world game ever made feels nothing like Breath of the Wild.

The reason why I love Breath of the Wild so much, despite not a big fan of open world design and never played any Zelda game, is because of how unique it feels.
So please, let Breath of the Wild stay unique and different compare to other open world games. Let Assassin's Creed's open world continue to be uninspired, bland and boring.
Breath of the Wild is the king of open world games and it should stay that way.

Up there with one of the dumbest posts I've read on here.

If it has anything from BOTW, I'd like collectibles that use grade my character in some way as I find them.

One of the things I don't like in Rockstar open world games is the lack of stuff I want to do outside of the main story. There are usually mini games like tennis or taxi driving and stuff but never anything Ive actually wanted to do (like collecting agility orbs in Crackdown, or korok seeds in BOTW, or destroying buildings to get scrap in Red Faction Guerrilla).

bidguy

Banned
Meat you acquire from hunting/fishing/trapping or buy from a butcher, ingredients from the wilderness or procured from a grocer/general store, having a "camp-kit" to make the fire with and it comes with the tools needed to cook and eat. Also it would include the necessary kit for sleeping.

They could even have different levels of these camp-kits, like a cheap one that just gives you the basic no-frills approach, or a really deluxe one that allows you to cook better meals and have a better place to sleep.

bear grills over here

What would I like? I'd like AI advanced enough to allow me to develop an actual bounty dictated by my actions, that will change the way the people react to me. I want bigger towns, ones that have some actual western substance rather than a tiny hub with a couple stores.

I want to walk into a bar and watch as fights break out naturally over card games gone wrong. When I tie someone up and take them I want then to be looked for. When I ride into town low key I'd like to blend in, but if I roll in bandana up with the gang I want people to clear the streets.

I want world's that react in a believable away. And finally, I want to know where the fuck the dog at Tumbleweed was barking from! I swear that thing must have been spawned under the ground or something.

Oh and I want top level Euphoria implementation like last time. No downgrading it like from GTA IV to GTA V.

What would I like? I'd like AI advanced enough to allow me to develop an actual bounty dictated by my actions, that will change the way the people react to me. I want bigger towns, ones that have some actual western substance rather than a tiny hub with a couple stores.

I want to walk into a bar and watch as fights break out naturally over card games gone wrong. When I tie someone up and take them I want then to be looked for. When I ride into low key I'd like to blend in, but if I roll in bandana up with the gang I want people to clear the streets.

I want world's that react in a believable away. And finally, I want to know where the fuck the dog at Tumbleweed was barking from! I swear that thing must have been spawned under the ground or something.

Oh and I want top level Euphoria implementation like last time. Now downgrading it like from GTA V to GTA V.

I want the very same things :)

What was downgraded in the Euphoria Engine in Grand Theft Auto V?

I want the very same things :)

What was downgraded in the Euphoria Engine in Grand Theft Auto V?

I think they just had to dial it back due to the scope of GTA V. Obviously RDR doesn't have to face the same types of challenges so hopefully won't fall victim to it.

If you look at some GTA IV to V comparisons you'll notice the pedestrians have very limited reactions compared to IV. They not only revert to the base state faster but also don't react to such minute things anymore. For instance nudging someone with a car will make them stumble and possibly fall but in V they just take a step.

jelly

Smooth controls and movement, good climbing. Rockstar might be open world masters but those aspects lack everytime.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If Rockstar does include cooking in RDR2, would you be excited for it and find it atmospheric and fitting of the time period and setting?

Sitting around and cooking beans and bacon while sipping coffee is in no way something I want to have to do. I won't mind if it is part of a cutscene, but there is no way I want that to be a gameplay feature.

Just keep the way they did camps in the first game, it will give you a place with a fire and you can just mill around to your hearts content.

kuroshiki

Hunting and then cooking the meat at a campfire or at a house for health and stat buffs wouldn't be fun and in-atmosphere in a Western-themed game to you?

Agreed on no weapon degradation.

Yeah, I like Zelda and I changed my avatar because I was hyped about BOTW. I'll change my avatar to something Red Dead Redemption 2 related once it's closer to release.

What's your point?

My point is that you are so mesmerized by zelda and blindly thinking that every game has to be zelda-like.

RDR already has fantastic foundation and sequel has to improve upon that, doesn't really have to follow zelda.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I could fuck with campfires doing something. Otherwise, I want a world designed to be experienced via horseback.

My only real gripe with the original was that the random events repeated way too frequently.

My point is that you are so mesmerized by zelda and blindly thinking that every game has to be zelda-like.

RDR already has fantastic foundation and sequel has to improve upon that, doesn't really have to follow zelda.

I have not said, nor have I ever said that I think every game should be like Zelda.

It has already been stated multiple times by critics and reviewers alike, that BOTW will be a template to follow for open-world games for years to come.

That's their words, not mine.

There are several things I liked about BOTW - mainly the way it handled it's open-world aspect. I think that Red Dead Redemption 2 - and other open-world games for that matter - could benefit from including some of those aspects. I also noted the fact that there are things that could also be improved upon to make open-world games better as a whole.

This post was mesmerizing right?

This.

Red Dead Redemption was one of my absolute favorite games last gen -- actually, one of my favorite games ever -- and I just hope that they improve on the formula of the first game.

Ploid 3.0

If it has anything from BOTW, I'd like collectibles that use grade my character in some way as I find them.

Something like, I don't know, collecting skins from animals that you can use to make a specialized outfit set would be nice to have in Red Dead Redemption 1. Can't wait for the previews and demos /I kid

Anyways, Rockstar has this, we will have to accept what they build, just like people accept what Nintendo build, even though they are usually late to the party on a ton of things. They both have their own visions of what they want to do, and they are both big enough to not want to fish for feedback on how they should make their games, releasing media on them when they feel like it, and how they feel like it.

Nothing really, I thought RDR was already a masterpiece in both narrative and gameplay designs. RDR2 wont need much to be a sucess if they follow the formula of the first one and have another great storyline and characters.

RDR was 7 years ago, holy shit. They got somethin good in the works for us.

I know!

There are people that are saying that they started work on conceptualising Red Dead Redemption 2 right after the original - and that was in 2010! That means this game will have been in development [at some phase] for around 7 years by the time it releases! That's truly insane and it makes me beyond excited to see what they deliver!

Rozart

Kind of a weird question. The games are so different from each other I don't see why someones expectations for Red Dead would be different after playing Zelda.

It's like asking "after Witcher 3, what do you want from Persona 5 ?"

This.

And R* are the kings of the open-world genre. They've got the formula down-pat.

Top Bottom